• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

tei_

Warming up for deadlifts

Hello! So I started lifting in September 2015, am 113 lbs, and the most I can lift for a single rep is 140 lbs. I have been having trouble with stalling on this lift both for trying to raise the amount I can lift as a single rep and also in trying to string together reps of lower weights for a set of 5 (I am doing a vaguely stronglifts-like program.) I'm wondering if it's partly because I'm wearing myself out during my warm-up set, which is usually 5x115 lbs. For instance, yesterday I started with the 5x115 but then wasn't able to do the 5x125 I wanted to work on all in a row-- I failed the third one, and then did the rest as singles, which didn't feel particularly heavy except that I couldn't do them strung together. 

Could not doing this set or lowering the weight on it could help when I work on the weights that I actually want to get more comfortable with?  Do I actually even need to warm up with the deadlift movement if I'm already warm from squats/mobility work?

If you're working at 125, then 115 is definitely too heavy for a warm-up set (at least for 5 reps).

You're going to be better off with something like this:

45x8-10

75-95x3-5

And possibly ~105x1 if you feel like you really need it, but you probably don't

Then straight to your working sets. I'd definitely recommend keeping a specific deadlift warm-up (like above) to get you into the groove. Glute activation work is also a great idea pre-deadlift - bird dogs, glute bridges, anything that gets your glutes firing.

If you're working at 125, then 115 is definitely too heavy for a warm-up set (at least for 5 reps).

You're going to be better off with something like this:

45x8-10

75-95x3-5

And possibly ~105x1 if you feel like you really need it, but you probably don't

Then straight to your working sets. I'd definitely recommend keeping a specific deadlift warm-up (like above) to get you into the groove. Glute activation work is also a great idea pre-deadlift - bird dogs, glute bridges, anything that gets your glutes firing.

I'll try that, thanks!

So if your working weight is 125, 115 is not warm ups, that's more working weight. Anything over roughly 50-55% of your 1 rep max is a working weight, something that is going to tax your system and stimulate growth. You're basically doing 2x what you're supposed to be doing on deadlifts right now.

That said, one set at 115 shouldn't kill you for 125, 125 might just be too heavy for you right now. Something I've experienced in my own training is better results from more than 1 set of deadlifts. I like 3-5 sets of 2-4 myself, leaving one rep in the tank. Remember, you're strength training, not testing. A training set should never really be to failure. For you this would probably be something like 105-115x4 reps, for 3-4 sets.

I've personally don't like specific deadlift warmups, beyond ramping up with a few light sets. Like you said, I am already warmed up from the squatting. If I have a deadlift only day, I'll front squat first to activate things.

When I do ramp up, I do 5-8 at 50%, 3 at 60-70%, 1 at 80%, 1 at 90%, then working reps, all percentages are based off the working weights. The singles let you get used to the weight without tiring out.

Sorry this is all over the place, in a rush and no time to organize.

On 3/16/2016 at 3:59 PM, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

So if your working weight is 125, 115 is not warm ups, that's more working weight. Anything over roughly 50-55% of your 1 rep max is a working weight, something that is going to tax your system and stimulate growth. You're basically doing 2x what you're supposed to be doing on deadlifts right now.

That said, one set at 115 shouldn't kill you for 125, 125 might just be too heavy for you right now. Something I've experienced in my own training is better results from more than 1 set of deadlifts. I like 3-5 sets of 2-4 myself, leaving one rep in the tank. Remember, you're strength training, not testing. A training set should never really be to failure. For you this would probably be something like 105-115x4 reps, for 3-4 sets.

I've personally don't like specific deadlift warmups, beyond ramping up with a few light sets. Like you said, I am already warmed up from the squatting. If I have a deadlift only day, I'll front squat first to activate things.

When I do ramp up, I do 5-8 at 50%, 3 at 60-70%, 1 at 80%, 1 at 90%, then working reps, all percentages are based off the working weights. The singles let you get used to the weight without tiring out.

Sorry this is all over the place, in a rush and no time to organize.

But also keep in mind your working weight of 125 is quite a bit less than his! So probably only 1 or 2 warm up sets is required. As opposed to the 4-5 he has listed here. 

I would probably do 45, 95, working if I was in your shoes.

16 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

But also keep in mind your working weight of 125 is quite a bit less than his! So probably only 1 or 2 warm up sets is required. As opposed to the 4-5 he has listed here. 

2 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Yep, sorry for that oversight. Marissa's recommendation is what I'd say as well. 45x8, 95x3, working weight sets.

Thanks! I tried just one warm up set of 65  last time because it was the easiest plate math :P And it definitely made 125 feel too light, as opposed to too heavy. I'll try these 2 weights next time!

• Like 2

On 3/21/2016 at 6:14 PM, miss_marissa said:

When 'ramping up' Is that considered part of the warm-up? For example, The Lvl 1 Barbell Battalion Workout B has Deadlifts listed as 3x5. Would you ramp up to your working weight, and then perform 3 sets of 5 reps at that weight?

Thanks!

Yes, I do not typically include my ramp up sets as part of my working sets.

So for example the last time I deadlifted the program called for 180lbx5x5. My workout looked like this:

General warmup: leg swings, pushups, bodyweight squats,etc.

45x8-12

115x5

165x5

180x5x5

Weird plate math because I was using bumper plates.

• Like 1