The cake is a lie... so I ate it.

Intro: My real name is Chuck, I am 44 years old. I used to be about 420lbs but I lost a lot of weight when I found out I had diabetes about 8 years ago. I lost it from weight loss surgery and although it did fix my situation with the diabetes it didn't get me 'fit'. I'm at about 290lbs now (6'4" tall) and I didn't start getting into fitness until last August. Lot's of body shaming and fear of the gym until then. I found a great person that helped me get over my "gym phobia" , she's awesome. 

I started off with cardio (treadmill), machines, Pilates, and change in diet focus.  This got me feeling more fit but I didn't see the size and strength changes that I wanted.  In looking online and trying to learn as much as I can I came across StrongLifts 5x5 and I have started that as of the beginning of this month. I feel like getting away from the machines is the direction I am moving in. Still a bit confused because it seems like, for these first 3 weeks, I am sliding because I am only working out about 2 to 3 hours a week now with 5x5 where before I was at about 8 to 10 hours a week. 

I'm still at the first part of StrongLifts so it is the time that I am working on my form. I'm quite excited and I have set up my level on here to coincide with the 12 week 5x5 plan.  I know that this is a good starter plan, but that's where I am at for now.

I've always been a fat person, fat kid, fat adult, even now I still see myself as a fat person. I've always wanted to change that and have always been held back by my fear.  At least one point in my life I want to be comfortable in my own skin. Pushing through my fear of failure is the key and I continually have to keep battling that. 

I'm hoping that where this site comes in handy. I need a support group. 

Funny thing is that in WoW I never got far because I was always the guy out grinding alone to lvl 80.., becoming an alt-a-holic, until I started trusting people and grouping more.  So.. bit of irony that I am now IRL seeking a group . . . or guild. 

I like the format here, I like the leveling up ability. I plan on seeking out a lot of advice too. 

• Like 1