The Paleo Diet

Since Soy Sauce includes wheat, does anyone know a decent primal replacement for soy sauce?

Soy sauce also includes soy. Soy is the devil.

I generally find eggs and fatty meat a good substitute for anything.

Why is soy the devil? Other than the fact that I heard it has estrogen? Sorry ignorant but genuinely curious!

gluten-free tamari is only soy, and a decent sub for soy sauce (i do miss my kikkoman from time to time, after all). soy does have xeno/phytoestrogens and is a legume, but this is a highly refined product, making it not paleo to begin with. the small amount you should be using as a seasoning isn't going to kill you. it's a lifestyle not a religion, you know?

So I have a few questions, Paleo related for sure.

1) So I've been pretty much eating chicken, super content thanks to Mark's Daily Apple marinade guide, but mostly I've been eating the breast part or white meat. Recently though, I've been reading that the breast has little difference with the thigh part, in terms of calories and cholesterol content. I'm a dark-meat kind of guy so I was just wondering: is it counter-intuitive (Paleo diet to lose weight) to eat the thigh parts? Or is it perfectly okay?

2) How many eggs can we eat in a day? Lol simple, and I know it's okay to eat more than one (read up on it online) but here in the Philippines, they really love the "Oh you can only eat half an egg each day" and I'm like "WTF" so for once and for all.

Thanks! Cheers!

I know a lot of paleos prefer skin on chicken thighs as they are much more flavorful and they have more good fat than the breast. They also eat quite a few eggs each day. The negative hype surrounding eggs and cholesterol has been blown out of proportion. The cholesterol in eggs doesn't affect your cholesterol levels nearly as much as previously reported.

I eat thighs way more than breasts. They're cheeper and they're more moist. Keep in mind, animal fats are good for you. Going for lean meat is only a good idea if you're trying to control your calorie intake, which generally isn't a problem on paleo.

I've looked into this as well, and my answer is "Eggs won't hurt you but don't eat them every day, since variety is good for you". Cavemen didn't keep chickens, so they had to scrounge, which means a huge amount of variety. That's an ideal we should aim for. Eating 2 - 4 eggs MOST days would be totally fine. Eggs are a near perfect protein source - easy to digest, well balanced between fats and protein, and delicious.

I eat thighs way more than breasts. They're cheeper and they're more moist. Keep in mind, animal fats are good for you. Going for lean meat is only a good idea if you're trying to control your calorie intake, which generally isn't a problem on paleo.

I've looked into this as well, and my answer is "Eggs won't hurt you but don't eat them every day, since variety is good for you". Cavemen didn't keep chickens, so they had to scrounge, which means a huge amount of variety. That's an ideal we should aim for. Eating 2 - 4 eggs MOST days would be totally fine. Eggs are a near perfect protein source - easy to digest, well balanced between fats and protein, and delicious.

the calorie difference between the two isn't that much of a difference anyways, so i say if you like the darker meats, go for it.

i personally prefer the white meat a million times better. i bought thighs one night because they were on sale and really didn't enjoy eating them, the taste difference between the two is so much bigger than i remember! so i only buy the boneless breasts now - so i just buy them in bulk when they're on sale and keep them in the freezer (i think i have at least 15lbs frozen right now :) )

as for eggs - i eat one every day. sometimes two. :)

Natural animal fats are super good for you. If you want to lose weight, eat natural fats! I load my diet with natural fats like butter, olive oil, eggs, and meat and it's working for me. When I say working I mean I've never lost weight like this before, even earlier in the summer. I thought I was doing well with 2.5 lbs per week, but two weeks ago I cut out as much sugar in any form it comes in and ramped up the fat and I've been losing about 4 lbs per week.

I know that's really fast, but I cannot tolerate sugar. I experimented on myself about three weeks ago and found that sugar makes me crazy, cranky, moody and depressed. I do not function well on sugar. So, to keep myself from being hungry all the time and binging on carbs I started eating fats and meats to keep me full and satisfied. I have NOT been exercising much. I've been trying to not eat sugar AND keep myself satisfied.

Paleo all the way!!! :D

So I just prepared my 100% paleo menu for tomorrow and stuck it all in caloriecount.com to see what nutrient/vitamin levels looked like. Since I'm not used to this whole low carb thing...what do your fat/protein/carb percentages generally look like? Also, what paleo foods have a lot of calcium? Mine is wayyyy too low for tomorrow but I really don't know what to do about it. Thanks!

Good question!

First: there is a question as to how much calcium we really need. Nutritional science often doesn't take other things like amount of vitamin D absorbed through sunlight, weight bearing excercise impact, and god-knows-what-else-contributes into account when they give you the calcium guidelines. So maybe we don't need as much as we're told. That said, I have osteopoenia, so the more calcium the better, in my opinion.

You have to really work to get calcium through strict paleo. Dark leafy greens like spinach and broccoli and okra, especially turnip greens, seaweeds like kelp, nuts and seeds like almonds and pumpkin, and oranges (though watch the sugars!) are all good. Dandilion leafs are fairly good as well, if you dont use chemical fertilizers/weed killers on your lawn. One genius thing I heard but haven't tried yet, grind eggshells into a powder and drink with water. In theory, you can gnaw on bone marrow and such, but that isn't a very couth thing nowadays. Canned salmon with bones is fantastic, much as I distrust canned foods.

For this (and other reasons), many people are strict paleo + milk. Not skim or 1% nonsense - aim for at least 2% or creams, since then you get the healthy animal fats as well instead of a glass o' carbs. To really spoil yourself, try non-pasturized. The treatment process wrecks a lot of really good things about milk. Likewise, eat cheeses. A small bit of good cheese is way better than the standard stuff - tends to be less processed and having variety is never a bad thing. My personal favorite is goat cheese.

In terms of macronutrient ratios. It depends on what your purpose is, but basically:

Carbs: 1g = 4 calories

0-50g Serious Fat Loss, Ketosis, Etc.

50-100g Fat Loss

100-150g Maintenance/Mass Gain

Proteins: 1g = 4 calories

0.7 - 1g per lb of body weight.

Fats: 1g = 9 calories

Fats should fill the rest of your daily caloric requirements. It usually works out to around 60% of your calories.

So for instance, I am female, trying to lose body fat and I don't do a lot of heavy strength training. I need around 1500 calories a day.

Protein - 90 - 130 grams

Carbs - 30 - 70 grams

Fats - Whatever is left, usually around 85g.

Thanks Alethea! Your responses were so helpful! I'm get more carbs than you suggested I probably should (more around 130), but they're all coming from fruits (I'm an apple eating machine, and at this time of year in New England they are pretty much the cheapest grocery item ever) and veggies so for now I guess its alright. It's still far fewer carbs than I was eating previously with rice everyday!

I'll definitely have to explore the world of dark leafy greens...I love spinach but I haven't really tried many others.

The fruit carbs kill me. I love fruit, and I've been cut down to around 1 a day to keep my carbs as low as possible. Splurging for me is a banana. But you do what you think is best - it's your body, and you know it better than we do! Apples are delicious, no question.

I eat WAY more variety on paleo than I ever did on the "less restrictive" conventional diet. After your 20th salad with chicken breast, you get creative really fast. : P

I'm doing some reading about fats, and found that heating olive oil makes it... not bad, but less good. One substitute is coconut oil, but that can't be used in high-temperature cooking (which is sorta how I roll, usually by accident. Stupid books distracting me), is rather expensive, and has a distinctive flavour. Butter is another possible option, which is cool, but the last fat-for-cooking that is continuously popping up - which all the hippest, cutting-edge paleos are raving about - is LARD.

Gasp! How have I never thought of this? Have YOU thought of this? I'm not sure that I'm ready to render my own (months of hoarding pork fat + several hours to render seems a bit too effort intensive, even if it'll cut out some preservatives), but can definitely buy it, quite cheaply. It's pure animal fat - not made from dairy products like butter is - and I'm told it has almost no added flavor, just rich fatty goodness.

Type / Calories / Fat / Carbs / Proteins , all for 1 Tablespoon

Coconut Oil 130 14g 0g 0g

Olive Oil 120 14g 0g 0g

Butter 101 11.5g 0.0g 0.1g

Lard 115 12.8g 0g 0g

Anyone use lard? Anyone GOING to use lard? Any thoughts/tips?

I use lard when we have gotten a pig. Nothing better IMO but we don't get pigs often so I don't have it available all the time.

If you know a hunter, another absolutely wonderful animal fat is bear fat. I know paleo doesn't include breads but biscuits made with bear fat are the most wonderful flakey tasty items...

It's well worth asking around if you know anyone who got a bear this year. I'd even offer to go help butcher one just to get the bear fat.

Oh, thank God. I've been eating chicken breasts all this time, I started experimenting with the leg/thigh combo at the butcher 'cause it was cheaper than straight up bone/skinless chicken breasts; might just transition outright to just getting mostly thighs for cost savings purposes.

So after perusing the various resources on The Paleo Diet, I've realized that I'm almost completely the OPPOSITE of a Paleo eater. I lean towards lean meats (despite working at Red Robin, the burger palace), low/non-fat dairy products, nuts, whole grains, etc. I try not to eat processed foods... but sometimes I give in and eat a Lean Pocket. Sue me. ;)

I guess what I'm curious to hear is... what effects have you Paleo Eaters felt, after switching to your new diets? We're always being told "eat this, don't eat that," and I'm fairly certain that every given food has some diet where you're SUPPOSED to eat it, one another diet where you're supposed to avoid it like the plague.

Fill me in, NF friends!

I kinda gave you a different answer on a different thread, but it boils down to this.

Paleo is not a diet. Paleo is a lifestyle choice, founded on some science and on personal opinion. The only question you need to ask and answer for yourself and your child is this: Do grains fundamentally help or harm the human animal?

Depending on your answer, that determines wether it's safe for pregnancy or not.