Hi, I'm Mad Hatter, a dabbler and explorer of the circus arts as well as a climber and all-round messer-arounderer. :) And this is my battle log, where I'll be tracking some of the fun skills I'd like to learn this year (current level in brackets):

Handbalancing

• 10s consistent freestanding handstand (extremely inconsistent handstand kickups, but can occasionally catch long holds 15+ seconds)
  • Make shapes in forearm stand (need the wall to stabilise me)
  • Flying crow (solid crow and ok flying pigeon)
  • Crane (can sometimes hold it for a split second)
  • Crocodile (can balance a finger tip supported variation for a short time)

Acrobatics

• Back walkover (have all the prerequisites but have mental hangups)
  • Front walkover (have all the prerequisites but have even more mental hangups)

Flexibility

• Feet to head cobra DONE!
  • New goal: Ankle grab (I'll add pictures for the flexibility goals these are hard to quantify)
  • Left split (can do it with bad form)
  • Right split *almost* as good as left split (I injured my hamstring a really long time ago and it's never been the same since)
  • Middle split

Contortion

• No hands cobra (as soon as I lift both arms I face plant)
  • Cheststand (have the flexibility for it, but not the strength)
  • Press from bridge to forearm stand 

Bouldering

• Climb 10 black problems (can climb most red problems, have climbed 1-3 easy black problems this year)

Strength

• Nice push-ups (almost there)
  • Dips (need heavy assist)
  • 5 pull-ups (3 on a good day)
  • Strict toes to bar (can kind of do ugly ones) 
  • Dragon flag (negatives are haaard)

• Like 3

Wading through the new forum layout to come see what you're up to :) Good to see you have strong plans for the black bouldering problems.

I'm surprised that you have more mental hang-ups with backwards walkovers. Have you tried doing it with your feet elevated?

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

On 3/18/2016 at 8:38 AM, High Lord of the Sith said:

Sending some healin power north. Get better soon, you've got some ass to kick!

Thanks! Feeling ready to go now!

On 3/18/2016 at 0:29 PM, tehshort1 said:

Very cool! Can't wait to see you cross off those goals!

Me too. ;)

On 3/18/2016 at 4:20 PM, sylph said:

Here for all the flexy and handbalancing. :)

Yay!

On 3/18/2016 at 6:09 PM, annyshay said:

...and the awesome! :D

Double yay!

On 3/18/2016 at 8:17 PM, obax said:

Continuing to follow along over here, for the awesome and the inspiration!

Woohoo! 

On 3/22/2016 at 10:51 PM, SymphonicDan said:

Wading through the new forum layout to come see what you're up to :) Good to see you have strong plans for the black bouldering problems.

I'm surprised that you have more mental hang-ups with backwards walkovers. Have you tried doing it with your feet elevated?

Very SMART plans too - try them until I can solve them. :P

I'm a huge wuss when it comes to ANY dynamic skills that I can't fully control. I need to take it sloooow, baby step by baby step. I'm not scared of the first part of going into the bridge since I've drilled it so many times and I can control it all the way down, but for the kick-over there's this moment where I'm not sure what's happening and that's scary. I know that the worst case scenario is that I'll land on my knees, but my brain just won't let me do it. It's so silly really. I've tried it with my feet on the wall and that works, so I think it's just going to be a question of slowly coaxing my body to go lower and lower.

On 3/24/2016 at 4:20 PM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Just realized that with the forum shift, I wasn't seeing your stuff.  Got caught up, and am here to cheer on the strong, contortionistic, balancing, flexy fabulous! 

Thank youuuu!

• Like 1

Sooooo in for this!!

Are you going to drop in here between challenges only or all the time?

This is going to be YUMMY :)

So much awesome Hatter fun, whoohooo

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

Yay, double goodies!!

No fault of yours, I was simply absent during the last round. Will be back this time :) Am already counting on your advise and encouragement. Lots of pole projects, squee and they feel so scary still :o

New challenge with details coming tomorrow...

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

Why hello there. Have you missed me? ;)

Sorry for leaving you for this long, life got kind of busy and weird. In short I've been eating and drinking and having fun, and in between that I've been stressing out, doing a little climbing and some aerial, injured my finger twice and re-injured my hamstring. So I'm a bit of a mess, but it's all good really. :)

The slightly longer version of what I've been up to:

* Hen do in Budapest - Had a fantastic time with a great bunch of girls. We did a lot of eating and drinking, dancing and spa visiting and generally enjoying ourselves in a pretty cool city. 

* Frantically procrastinating and sewing the skirt for my bridesmaid outfit.

* Wedding in London - It was such a lovely wedding and great to see all of my closest friends and my oldest friend's family in one place. Made me realise that I need to make an effort and spend more time with the people closest to me because they're awesome and it matters.

* Hanging out with Raptron in Boston - I decided to take a detour on my way to the US to meet up with Raptron and it was totally worth it. I had a great time and Raptron is just as awesome IRL as online! :D

* Work trip to Madison, WI - which mostly involved 12 hour work days sitting in a bunker followed by restaurant visits. But I managed to visit the town's main attraction - the super dorky National mustard museum haha. Just as amazing as it sounds. Also I've never been to such a stereotypically American town. It was fun. And I got this beer:

FantasyFactory.jpg

Now the plan is to relax, enjoy summer and avoid airplanes for a few months. (12 flights in 5 weeks is a biiit much.) And I need to get back on the forum of course. :)

• Like 3

We have missed you :( But good to see you back and you've been doing lots of cool stuff in the meantime even if life has been a bit hectic! And I guess one random benefit of work trips is they can take you to places you'd never usually consider visiting... like a mustard museum in Wisconsin :P

• Like 2

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

We did miss you! The highlight of your trip had to be the mustard museum. Glad to know the USA has a National Mustard Museum.:)

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Yesterday I went climbing, after 14 hours of traveling, barely any sleep, heavy post flight bloat and a still injured finger. Buuuut everyone else was going, and I didn't want to miss out. :P I took it really easy though and only climbed really safe stuff and did a bunch of mobility work instead, so now my body feels much nicer. I'm a bit sad about the finger because I will have to take it easy for the next 1-2 months. I can still climb on it, but only blues and safe reds and no crimps. And according to the internet it's not a bad idea to tape it for the next 3 months at least. So back to square 1 it is, and just as I was starting to climb black problems. Lame. 

So for the next few weeks the plan is to get my body back to normal, fix up all the achy bits and pieces and focus more on skill work and technique, keeping the intensity low. I don't have any classes now so it will be easier to not get carried away. I hope haha. :D

• Like 3

Yesterday I slept for 14 hours and then proceeded to do nothing the rest of the day. It was very relaxing, and apparently much needed! :) 

Today I went for another lame climbing session. I really miss the feeling of pushing myself hard and sending fun problems. Now I only get to climb lame problems and I'm paranoid even doing those. :( It doesn't even matter if the moves actually affect my finger or not, I'm still paranoid. But I got to hang out with people so that's something. 

I'm also forced to take it easy with handstands as the ideal finger position is actually very similar to a crimp. I've tried to do adjust the finger position for some strength exercises but for balance it's a bit too much pressure. So more backbends I guess? That's about the only thing I can do right now. :P 

• Like 2

Whoa, I wish I could sleep anywhere near 14 hours when I'm overly tired! :o So annoying though how such a small injury (by volume) can be such an impediment... even just psychologically. You have the right attitude though!

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Yayyyyyyy you're really back :love_heart:

Missed you big time! But it sounds like you had a great time. Budapest, London, US and hanging out with raptron,... wow :) very happy for you

Did you sow your own bridesmaids dress?! Very impressed, all the hidden talents you are keeping from us tsts 

Sorry about your finger, hope it heals up real soon. Any other strength you could build without it? Should I borrow you my hula hoop for diversion ;)

Anyhow, soooo happy to have you back :cheerful:

20 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Whoa, I wish I could sleep anywhere near 14 hours when I'm overly tired! :o So annoying though how such a small injury (by volume) can be such an impediment... even just psychologically. You have the right attitude though!

That almost never happens! I can't remember the last time I slept until 12. Or even past 9 for that matter!

Maybe I'm being a chicken about it as it's only a mild grade 1 sprain. But seeing as I injured it the first time just a few weeks ago I'm really paranoid. The internet for once pretty strongly agrees that finger injuries should be taken very seriously to avoid an even longer break.

20 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Yayyyyyyy you're really back :love_heart:

Missed you big time! But it sounds like you had a great time. Budapest, London, US and hanging out with raptron,... wow :) very happy for you

Did you sow your own bridesmaids dress?! Very impressed, all the hidden talents you are keeping from us tsts 

Sorry about your finger, hope it heals up real soon. Any other strength you could build without it? Should I borrow you my hula hoop for diversion ;)

Anyhow, soooo happy to have you back :cheerful:

I made the skirt. No way I'd have the patient to put on all the beads on the top! I almost never sew, but it actually turned out really pretty! Lots of people gave me compliments, so I feel really good about it. :) Makes me want to do more!

Yeah there's stuff I can work on that will be part of my challenge. :) 

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Oh no for a hurt finger. Hope it heals soon.

Thanks! It's healing quickly, the tricky part will be to not injure it again.

• Like 1