The Huntress: Battlelog 2016

I competed in my first Crossfit competition in the beginning of February, and it got me hooked on competions! I will be competing in a Train to Hunt competition in July that involves shooting my bow, running with my 20# pack, and strength obstacles. I am also looking forward to a Spartan Race in May, and any other Crossfit competitions that come my way.

My current goals are:

1. Attend Crossfit 5x per week. 

- I want those kipping pullups! 

- This is my year for muscle ups!

2. Run/walk 2 miles 3x per week.

-Cardio needs to be built up.

3. Determine my own "Personal Palo Code"

4. Pay off debt by end of June.

5. Conquer clinical depression with diet, plenty of rest, and exercise.

6. Lose 40 lbs

7. Practice bow 1x per week

A little more about me...I love animals, yoga, hiking, cooking, and adventuring. Latest adventure was spring break in Mexico and swimming with sea lions, whale sharks, and dolphins in the Sea of Cortez. I can't wait to see what the next year has in store! 

I plan on using my battle log to track my workouts, food log, and to document my progress.

9 hours ago, AlleyRose said:

I competed in my first Crossfit competition in the beginning of February, and it got me hooked on competions! I will be competing in a Train to Hunt competition in July that involves shooting my bow, running with my 20# pack, and strength obstacles. I am also looking forward to a Spartan Race in May, and any other Crossfit competitions that come my way.

My current goals are:

1. Attend Crossfit 5x per week. 

- I want those kipping pullups! 

- This is my year for muscle ups!

2. Run/walk 2 miles 3x per week.

-Cardio needs to be built up.

3. Determine my own "Personal Palo Code"

4. Pay off debt by end of June.

5. Conquer clinical depression with diet, plenty of rest, and exercise.

6. Lose 40 lbs

7. Practice bow 1x per week

A little more about me...I love animals, yoga, hiking, cooking, and adventuring. Latest adventure was spring break in Mexico and swimming with sea lions, whale sharks, and dolphins in the Sea of Cortez. I can't wait to see what the next year has in store! 

I plan on using my battle log to track my workouts, food log, and to document my progress.

Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't. 

• Like 1

Report for 19.3.2016

Food and Exercise:

Last day of vacation in Mexico yesterday. Walked around a bunch and ate some marvelous food before getting back on track when I arrive home tonight. I <3 my great tan I got from laying on the beach and swimming and snorkeling on the reefs. I listened to Kris Kresser's Personal Paleo Code on Audible, in preparation for finding my ideal diet. 

Finances:

I talked to my sister about being my accountability buddy for financial planning, because she is much better at managing money than I am. I am going to use the Dave Ramsey envelope system as my plan. Just need to work on my budget now. (Gotta catch up after this vacation ya know)

NEXT MISSION:

-During flight layovers today I will go over my goals so they are more specific and organized. Will post when finished!

-Drink 3L of water to start my respawn week strong!

16 hours ago, BirdE said:

How is Kris Kresser's paleo code?  Worth a read?

Snorkling sounds awesome!  How was it?  

You are doing awesome!

The Palo Code is DEFINITELY worth the read! I just made a new self care plan based on it. I 100% recommend it if you are even slightly interested in the science behind the "Paleo" diet. ( For some reason calling the diet Paleo irks me, but I haven't found a good replacement name ;)

I went snorkeling in Cabo Pulmo, a protected Marine Reserve and the only living coral reef in North America, I think. It was in the top five best days of my life, might even be number 1. I was able to play with sea lions, swim with a pod of wild dolphins, watch 3 humpback whales, and spotted 2 sea turtles. It was a page ripped right out of my childhood dreams :awe: 

I will be posting my findings from Kris Kresser's book and my plan based on it later today, to give you an idea of what it covers :)

Battlelog update: Week of March 20.

Still working on a complete care plan (will post this week), but here is a summary of the last week.

Things that went well:

I ate really well, probably 90/10 primal during the week this week. Then the weekend came and I had to work a bunch at OG waitressing. I was tired and out of willpower by the end of my shifts, that I ordered gluten-free! pasta and alfredo. Twice. You win some, you lose some, I guess. This coming weekend my goal is to eat 100% primal.

I ran 4/6 miles. I did a ruck run of 1.5 miles with my pack on, and I did much better than expected. My average mile time was 10:26. This week I will get all 6 miles in, hoping ro run half of them.

I attended Crossfit once, and did the Open Workout 16.4.

21-18-15-12-9-3

Thrusters

Bar-facing Burpees

With a time of:

I did an arm/ab workout at the gym as well on Thursday night.

Things that didn't go well:

Sleep. I definitely haven't been getting enough sleep, which will be my main focus this week AFTER my exam tomorrow morning. I have started using Dan's Plan as a measure of how I'm doing with my goals, today my health score is 74 (not good) and I hope by the end of the week I can get it up to the 90s.

I also have not been drinking enough water, and too much coffee. I would like to only be drinking 1 8oz cup. BUT I love coffee, and have typically been having 2 cups.

Summary:

NUTRITION, SLEEP, and WATER are the main focus for this week. I want to keep getting my 20,000 steps, but if I don't make a strength session or two, or don't get all my miles  in, I won't be upset with myself. The main goal right now is to keep my depression/anxiety under control and nutrition and sleep play a HUGE role in that. I noticed after my lack of sleep and unhealthy foods this weekend that I was unreasonably stressed this morning.

CURRENT GOALS:

Here is my current battle plan regarding my life. I just came out of a year long depressive cycle and I don't want to fall back into the hole. I am going to put myself as the #1  priority in my life, because if we can't love ourselves, we can't love others, and if we can't help ourselves, we can't help others. This list of current goals is based on my "ideal" week. I understand that things will happen and I won't be perfect, but by the end of the year I would like to have implemented all these ideas into my life as habits. I will update my battlelog daily at 8:45 PM, if possible, and at the latest 12 AM the same day.

Food:

1. Limit sugar, gluten, and seed oils to promote gut health and eliminate depression.

• 16 oz of coldwater fatty fish per week
  •  6 oz of organ meats per week
  •  Resistant starch to help with digestion and gut health every other day. (Unripe bananas, potato starch, plaintain chips)
  •  2 servings of fermented food daily
  • Veggies at every meal (1 lb per day nonstarchy veggies)
  •  2 servings of fruit per day
  • One 8 oz cup of coffee before 12 and after breakfast

Stress Management:

1. Perform some type of stress management on a daily basis to stay mindful and calm.

• Participate in yoga 1 or 2 times per week
  • Use Headspace app to meditate daily for 4 weeks REWARD: If daily for 4 weeks, buy subscription
  • Praise/Prayer 15 minutes per day (practice guitar, listen to music, pray, read Bible)
  • Monthly Massage
  • Try Acupuncture 

Exercise: (Lose 30 lbs overall)

1. Lose 7 pounds by the end of April REWARD: Strange Invisible Perfume Samples

2. Prepare for competition

• Crossfit or Weights 5 days a week
  • Run/Walk 6 miles per week---Sub 8 minute mile time reward= Vibram shoes
  • 15 minute sprint session 2x per week
  • Weigh-in: Fridays.

Sleep Management:

1. Create a consistent sleep schedule and routine to create a happier and more steady lifestyle.

• Be in bed by 10 or 10:30
  • No electronics in bedroom + turn off 2 hours before bed
  • Go outside right away in the morning to get some sunlight
  • Create and maintain a calming and pleasing sleep environment (completely dark, 45 minute emotional buffer zone)

Cultivate Connection and Pleasure:

1. Live a happier, more fulfilled life.

• Schedule time with friends 2 days a week
  • Connect with partner 2x per week (date night, massage)
  • Volunteer for a cause I believe in---1000 New Gardens Dig Day President!
  • Listen to uplifting music daily
  • 2 nature excursions per week
  • Be open, vulnerable and honest
  • Be a hugger
  • Take pole dancing lessons
  • Play 3x per week (basketball, gardening, Tola, wrestling, reading for pleasure, hiking, work on business plan, horse grooming)

April 3, 2016.

Food:

>16 oz of coldwater fatty fish per week

> 6 oz of organ meats per week

>Resistant starch to help with digestion and gut health every other day. (Unripe bananas, potato starch, plaintain chips)

* 2 servings of fermented food daily

>Veggies at every meal (1 lb per day nonstarchy veggies)

> 2 servings of fruit per day

*One 8 oz cup of coffee before 12 and after breakfast

Stress:

>Participate in yoga 1 or 2 times per week

>Use Headspace app to meditate daily for 4 weeks REWARD: If daily for 4 weeks, buy subscription

>Praise/Prayer 15 minutes per day (practice guitar, listen to music, pray, read Bible)

>Monthly Massage

>Try Acupuncture 

Exercise:

>Crossfit or Weights 5 days a week

>Run/Walk 6 miles per week---Sub 8 minute mile time reward= Vibram shoes

>15 minute sprint session 2x per week

Cultivate:

>Schedule time with friends 2 days a week

*Connect with partner 2x per week (date night, massage)

*Volunteer for a cause I believe in---1000 New Gardens Dig Day President!

*Listen to uplifting music daily

>2 nature excursions per week

>Be open, vulnerable and honest

>Be a hugger

>Take pole dancing lessons

>Play 3x per week (basketball, gardening, Tola, wrestling, reading for pleasure, hiking, work on business plan, horse grooming)

Sleep:

*Be in bed by 10 or 10:30

>No electronics in bedroom + turn off 2 hours before bed

>Go outside right away in the morning to get some sunlight

>Create and maintain a calming and pleasing sleep environment (completely dark, 45 minute emotional buffer zone)

APRIL 4, 2016 REPORT

Food:

1. Limit sugar, gluten, and seed oils to promote gut health and eliminate depression.

• Today I had  veggies at every meal, ate salmon cakes for dinner, had some plantains for the resistant starch, and ate some homemade sauerkraut before my breakfast of scrambled eggs with tomatoes, mushrooms, and arugula. I had pork loin and asparagus for lunch, and salmon cakes with arugula for dinner. My roommate gave me half of her gluten free muffin, and I had some cake at work today (it was worth it). I didn't have any fruit today, but I did manage to only drink a few sips of coffee after breakfast. 
  • Improvements: Need to get my organ meats in for the week and make some fermented vegetables to go along with my homemade kefir I just started tonight!

Stress Management:

1. Perform some type of stress management on a daily basis to stay mindful and calm.

• I used my Headspace app after breakfast today, and it did really help a lot. I only have one free session left, and then I think I will buy a monthly subscription, and if I get 30 days in a row I might buy a yearly one!
  • Improvements: I need to SCHEDULE my yoga sessions for this week, and work on my spiritual life.

• I was BEAT today after working on the farm all day. I didn't make it to Crossfit this morning because I've been trying to catch up on sleep. Tomorrow after lab I will do at least a 30 minute weights workout, and do some sprints. I have been getting my  10,000 + steps in though, according to my FitBit.
  • Improvements: Create schedule better so I can get enough sleep and make it to my workouts.

Sleep Management:

1. Create a consistent sleep schedule and routine to create a happier and more steady lifestyle.

• Last night I was in bed by 10:30 pm and I slept really well. I brushed my teeth before bed and took my contacts out, left my phone in the living room (THIS IS A BIGGIE), and I think it made the biggest difference in how I slept. I woke up around 6:30 am, but forced myself back to sleep.
  • Improvements: Continue to leave phone out of room, and work on scheduling so I can always be in bed before 11pm, because tonight it's not going to happen because I am working on a lab report. Need to finish cleaning room and keep it clean to have a nice sleep environment.

• I didn't really get anything done here in this department, other than I met with my lab partner (who I want to make my new friend) to work on our report due in the morning. 
  • Improvements: Need to schedule my nature excursions and friend dates, and hug more people! 

CURRENT GOALS:

Here is my current battle plan regarding my life. I just came out of a year long depressive cycle and I don't want to fall back into the hole. I am going to put myself as the #1  priority in my life, because if we can't love ourselves, we can't love others, and if we can't help ourselves, we can't help others. This list of current goals is based on my "ideal" week. I understand that things will happen and I won't be perfect, but by the end of the year I would like to have implemented all these ideas into my life as habits. I will update my battlelog daily at 8:45 PM, if possible, and at the latest 12 AM the same day.

Food:

I had some salmon for breakfast this morning, but overall my food score was not very good. I would rank it around a 5 out of 10. I had english muffins with butter and ham for breakfast with loads of coffee, and then came home and ate overnight oats. For lunch I had an apple and some beef heart, and then I had to waitress and ate stuffed mushrooms and fried calamari. 

Stress Management:

I bought a month long subscription to Headspace today! I am very excited to continue on my mindfulness journey. I would like to incorporate more active stress management in my life. 

Exercise has not been on point. I think I am getting sick, so instead of doing a bodyweight workout like I said I would I rested and drank some tea. Trying to get to bed and get some sleep. 

Sleep Management:

Last night I got to bed around 12 and got up at 7. I wasn't able to be off of my electronics because I had to do schoolwork. I will leave my phone out of my room tonight and be in bed by 10:30 pm. 

Today I took some time to read a book and drink some tea, and it was so relaxing. I also talked to a friend about taking pole-dancing classes once school gets out in a few weeks.