Take this, it may help you on your journey

Love it when the iCrap step counter and the distance number on the machine don't even remotely match...

I'm going with the iCrap because its what I've been going with.

I walked three miles in my between day.

Also, the scale numbers are moving again. As soon as I posted my complaint actually, so it must've heard me. Went from 208 where it had been hovering for way too long now, to 205. A little bit closer to (finally) being below 200 again.

Level 2 Dark Elf Rogue

STR: 3 DEX: 3 STA: 2 CON: 3 WIS: 2  CHA: 1

Battle Log: Take this, it may help you on your journey

Past Challenge: Emerald Forest, Idyllica

24 Runs Later: Training of the Living Dead (featuring zombies)

Week One, Lesson Two Complete.

I should probably say what the routine actually is, for the curious.

10 minute walk

1 minute walk, 10 second run - 10 times

10 minutes free form, run or walk as you wish.

Even when the beginning eventually becomes half free form I never do anything but walk, my energy is slow to rouse and I need the warm up, plus it makes more sense to save my energy for the actual drills that are the whole point of the exercise, once they're out of the way (and I'm usually feeling a little more lively) I can go hog wild.

Second half, I usually either continue with some drills, either frequent ones or less frequent when I push to see how long I can go. I can do 90 seconds without stopping now, and continuing to walk after all without feeling like I'm about to collapse in a useless heap. Big improvement over a year ago.

Level 2 Dark Elf Rogue

No zombie run today. I knew I was going to be out running errands, including couch shopping that would take me far out from the apartment, so I figured I'd burn enough calories just doing that.

4.74 miles (11,727 steps)

Zombie runs should resume tomorrow.

Level 2 Dark Elf Rogue

Week Two, Lesson One Complete.

This time, its:

10 minutes walking

30 seconds running, 5 heel lifts, 1.5 minutes waking (5 times)

10 minutes free form (I kept to the 30 seconds running - 1 minutes walking pattern going)

Level 2 Dark Elf Rogue

Walked 1.54 miles (5,045 steps)

Cut it off earlier than I usually do on my off days because...(drumroll)...I did one of the bodyweight workouts as well.

Hurray. I guess.

I'm not going to go nuts about trying to integrate it on a very regular basis right now, I'm happy enough to have been keeping shit going as long as I have. But I know I want to, I know I should and today I just felt like it, so here we are. The last time I really bothered was before the big academy update, with only the beginner bodyweight workout available, that kicked my ass all over the place. It was a lot to jump into right from being very overweight and loafing all the time. I could manage it, but when it came to repetition once was enough, maybe twice, three times was not happening (less because of muscle fatigue than because I could not catch my breath, no endurance).

But the big change occurred and now I have a new model to work from. Level 1a. Level 1, so embarrassing, but hey, whatever, I'll claw my way up eventually.

Assisted Bodyweight Squat - 10 reps

Elevated Pushup - 10 reps

Doorway Bodyweight Row - 10 reps

Finish With: Farmers Walk - 30+ second trip

Do in order and repeat for 3 rounds total

It definitely didn't kick my ass the way the old one did (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), so maybe that's a good sign I'll level up soon. I can do unassisted squats thanks to practice with the old system, so I'm already one up there. Its the pushups that are the problem, never been great at them. I use the kitchen counter for the elevated pushup (I don't got a lot to work with here), with that height its not that hard, not a breeze but my arms aren't falling off, either. For the farmer's walk I had two cat litter containers, if all I have to do is hold onto the weight, not move it, I can load up; I was once the family pack mule, and I don't have a car so I'm used to carrying heavy shit around.

I was looking through the site (the main site I mean), thinking through other steps I could take. There's a mindset quest about crushing your inner demons, deciding what your biggest demon and obstacle is and then figuring out how to tackle it. This could use more thinking through, but if I had to pick one thing, I'd say mine is apathy (cause in large part by a shit hand and shit programming).

But how do you avoid apathy until you're ready to take it on? I'm not even sure. I'd think something like that is less a level 10 orc you just need to be on the right level to fight, and more one of those irritating recurring bosses that shows up in every dungeon to get in your way and just won't fucking die no matter how many times you beat it.

Bears more thinking, maybe...

Level 2 Dark Elf Rogue

Week Two, Lesson Three, Complete.

Second block down.

You know how I said yesterday that bodyweight workout didn't quite kick my ass? As of this morning, I take that back. Not a full on ass kicking maybe, but a decent working over. Gods, I am sore today.

Level 2 Dark Elf Rogue

Walked 1.58 miles (5,636 steps)

Did bodyweight exercise 1b, because I did the first one so why not?

Do in order. Repeat again for 3 rounds total:

Good Morning - 10 reps

Standing Wall Walk - 5 trips up and down

One Leg Balance - 5 seconds per side

Wall Slide - 8 reps

Finish With: Front Plank - 3 sets of 20 seconds

I did the Good Morning variation with a bar (or in my case, the broom) because it was easier to od, to stop myself from leaning my hands too hard on the back of my head.

One leg balance for 5 seconds was too easy, upped it to 10.

Level 2 Dark Elf Rogue

Week Three, Lesson One, Complete

This time, its:

5 minute walking

5 minute free form run (that is still always walking)

1 minute running, 1 minute walking, 10 knee lifts: 5 times

8 minute free form run

2 minute rest and stretch

8 minute free form run

Breath wasn't so great today, I don't know if there's shit in the air or its just because I waited until longer in my day than I have been (couldn't be helped, new furniture came today). I got through it okay.

I remember the very first time I tried this block, it was the first one I flaked on a little. Running for thirty seconds before had sucked, but I could not do a minute, so I did the best I could each time and walked the rest. The second try through it was much easier. And now its easier still.

I went ahead and got the rings and handstands superpack on offer. It looked like something I'd want to do when I can, even if I know I probably can't right now, so get it while its cheap. Not on the official community, I've avoided Facebook up until now and would prefer to continue doing so as long as I can. So unless I change my mind, just have to discuss on here. :)

Level 2 Dark Elf Rogue

Went on my walk outside tonight. My iCrap's battery died and I didn't realize it so I don't have exact mileage and step count, but probably similar to what it was before.

No other exercise, harder to do with other people around for the weekend and frankly, my legs have been a little sore and could use a rest. Bodyweight workouts may resume on Monday.

Level 2 Dark Elf Rogue

Week Three, Lesson Two, Complete

You know, I've almost been walking every day for a whole month. Without a lot of struggling. With my sleep schedule doing all the wacky shit it can do in a normal month (it can do wackier shit, but that's not common *knocks on wood*). I don't want to celebrate too much and invite complacency, but this is not a bad start for building a habit.

Level 2 Dark Elf Rogue

Walked 1.08 miles (3,654 steps)

Completed NFA bodyweight workout 1a

Less walking tonight because my current hours and room mate's schedule necessitated a late start. I went until I knew I had to stop and eat something.

Level 2 Dark Elf Rogue

Week Three, Lesson Three, Complete.

Three blocks down.

I slept like shit last night, and there weren't enough hours of the shit sleep. I've felt like crap all day. I really pushed myself this run, but I did it. And its almost been a month of this (level up) :)

Scale read 201.8 this morning. Haha, so close now....

Level 2 Dark Elf Rogue

Walked 1.33 miles (4,585 steps)

Completed NFA bodyweight 1b.

Added in three sets of 10 elevated push ups after 1b, because its a noticeably weak area that I want to see improvement on, like now.

As of tomorrow I'll be able to say I walked every day for a month, perhaps the next month I can add in the bodyweight exercises and hope they become routine?

Level 2 Dark Elf Rogue

Week Four, Lesson One, Complete.

And that would be...

5 minute walking

5 minute free form run that is just walking

10 knee lifts, 1 minute slow walk, 1 minute fast walk (5 times)

30 second run, 1 minute walking (5 times)

15 minute free form run that is actually some running

I pushed myself harder during those fifteen minutes, ran (slowly) for two minutes straight (or a headcount thereof, may not have been quite two minutes), did it three times. Drained all my energy, but it was good.

One whole month of walking/running! Whoo-hoo!!!

Level 2 Dark Elf Rogue

Thank you, commenters. *takes a bow*

On to the day's report:

Walked 1.65 miles (5,683 steps)

NFA BW 1a (plus 20 second planks, because I added something from a to b before, so why not b to a?)

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to build a workout. I had been doing the walking afterward, but today I was low energy through the workout (might've been time of day, might've been lack of sleep), which made me think I should switch it around and walk first. Like I said before, my energy is slow in responding, once it kicks in its pretty solid, its just getting it out of bed that's the problem. Its worth playing with.

Level 2 Dark Elf Rogue

Week Four, Lesson Two, Complete

I can indeed jog/slow run two minutes now without a stop, I more carefully timed myself (and in doing so realized what a distraction head counting is at a time like that, noob mistake). And I can do it twice in a fifteen minute time frame. The last ninety seconds of the free form run I tried to do at the not super fast but actual damn running speed that I use for shorter drills; I didn't quite make the whole ninety seconds but I couldn't have been more than five or ten seconds off. Which is great.

The scale was exactly 200 this morning. Ugh! One ounce, just one fucking ounce and I can finally celebrate that. You're just screwing with me now, come on, damn you! *fist shake*

Either way, I have now lost 40 pounds since I started this thread back in March. 40 out of a hopeful 100. And more than that, I think, since this time last year. I only got a scale back in March to comply with the program here, I otherwise never knew how much I weighted. I do know that around this time last year I had to go out pants shopping because I could no longer wear the ones I got, this before I joined Nerd Fitness (I was still waffling) but when I made my first try at this Zombies Run program - by the time March came around those same pants fit again with some (not a ton, but a comfortable amount of) room to spare. I have no idea how to use that to estimate how much I've lost in the last year, but more than 40 is still damn good.

Let's do more than 40 next year. I can't wait until I get to the point where its no longer weight loss but maintenance - and strength and muscle gain.

Level 2 Dark Elf Rogue

Walked 1.53 miles (4,661 steps)

Completed NFA BW 1b

Added in 10 elevated push ups, 30 sec. farmers walk (3 times)

Circumstances kept me awake yesterday a lot longer than I should've been, though I slept a while to make up for it. My internal clock has been off today as a result.

I might have to, sometime soon, break my walking streak. If only for a day. Or maybe walk, like, a token ten minutes one day. My feet have been sore the last week or so, getting used to all the barefoot walking and running (treadmill is good for that) and they might need a break. Holding out on that as long as I can, its nothing crippling or even what I'd call particularly painful, just an ache when I stand up and walk on them later through the apartment, and I don't want to break my streak unless I really have to. Keeping an eye on it.

Level 2 Dark Elf Rogue

Week Four, Lesson Three, Complete.

Four blocks down, and officially halfway through.

I was not on here yesterday. I ended up on the phone most of the day with family I hadn't spoken to in a while; with the normal pacing around I do while on the phone, my feet got very stiff and sore. Between that and how late it got, I decided rather unhappily to take that one day I was talking about. New month starts now (I got a few things I can check off on quests if I keep going like I have for another month).

I'll say, my feet are happy I did it, though my fledgling leg muscles complained about the long wait. Can't please everyone.

I am now at 199. Finally.

Another ten pounds now, that'll be half my hopeful goal.

Level 2 Dark Elf Rogue

Walked 1.51 miles (5,007 steps)

NFA BW 1a Complete, no extras.

I felt kind of shitty today, very low energy, not the first time, but really not good today. I have to do something about that. I'm sure figuring out how to plan my workouts so they don't occur so close to the end of my day when I'm winding down will help, I'm sure. Waiting so long after the last time I ate anything. Finding a good pre-workout snack or something?

Or another idea. When I first programmed my fitness pal with my weight loss goals, I wanted to lose a pound and a half a week, which puts me at a low calorie intake that I'm very often eating even further below - not starving myself on a normal basis,  but it may well be contributing to this. The other thing is, I'd listed my activity level as sedentary, because I was and knew I couldn't count on making myself exercise not right away (fixing my diet first seemed the better deal). And while I know a month is not a hell of a lot of time in the grand scheme of things, should I maybe consider upgrading that assessment? To something between super active and coma? I imagine that would up the calorie limit, make me completely reevaluate how I eat when I've had that down for a while now, but might also help somehow.

Decisions...

Level 2 Dark Elf Rogue