A little bit of everything.

So yesterday afternoon my Wife’s Uncle passed away.   :frown-new:

He had cancer in his kidney and it ended up spreading to many other parts of his body before he went to the doctors to get it checked out.  By the time he got it looked at, it was too late. We only found out about 2 months ago.   

He has been at a facility for the past month and yesterday we were informed that he might not make it past that day.   My wife and father in law started to head over to see him, but he passed away before they could make it there.

They knew this day would come, but after that phone call they did not think it would happen so quickly. I did not know him very well, but I can tell that my wife and her family are very sad. Prayers will be said for everyone.

My character:  My Character

May your wife's uncle be welcomed into the Halls of his ancestors.

Congrats on the interview, glad it went well for you.

What a mixed bag to read.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

I am sorry to read about your loss. I know that it can be hard to process sometimes when it comes that quick. I hope for the best for you and your family. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

SO the company I had interviewed with has decided to change directions and totally go in a different direction with what they wanted to do at their facility.

I just received a phone call from them and they are unsure of the timeline it will take to get things redone. Could be a few weeks… could be several months.  So it does not look like I will be getting the job that I really wanted.  At least not at this time. They may still need people once things settle in and they can figure out the staff that will be needed. I hope that I will still be considered for the position.

I am bummed out but still trying to stay positive and trying to hunt for another job that I can start soon.

“Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming.” 

Also Funeral for my wife’s uncle will be Tuesday.   I am staying positive because things could always be worse.  Live life day by day!

Thank you!  I appreciate it.

It is a huge let down, but I know I will find something.

The funeral was nice. Everyone got to say their Good-byes.  My wife and her family are holding up well. I know this transition is a semi-unexpected one, but they are all just happy that he is no longer in pain.  One of the family members got a chance to talk to him. He had said that he was not afraid of death, and that he was ready to move on.  A Very noble way to approach the inevitable. I know he will be missed.

On another note, I am trying to get in touch with another company I had a very good experience talking to at the local job fair a few weeks ago. He was a regional hiring manager and he seemed interested in my skills and what I could do with his company. This would be a travel job, but right now I will certainly take it if it is offered.  I just hope I can get in touch with him soon.

I have until June 10th, so I am trying hard to get something lined up before then. I am sure there is a plan somewhere in all of this for me.   I just have to find it.

• Like 1

So I know I have not been doing much lately.... but I have a feeling that I may be getting a lot of free time to exercise after the next two weeks.

I was supposed to speak with the travel job guy yesterday, but I an assuming something came up and he was not able to make the call.   I just hope I hear from him today so my mind will be at a little more ease for this weekend. 

This weather is not helping... It is overcast and gloomy at the moment.   2 weeks left and counting.  Trying to get out of this funk. 

I hope you are able to wrangle some enjoyment out of the holiday weekend despite the funk. Just keep busting it these next couple of weeks. Don't lose any of that hustle and things should turn around eventually. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

Thanks J!   I am feeling better today.  I went for a jog while my wife and step-son rode their bikes up and down the street.   Our road is about 1/4 mile long, and I walked / jogged up and down about 4 times. so.. almost 2 miles?   I don't know for certain.  All I know is that I worked up a good sweat!   And no knee or foot pain so far. 

Hopefully I hear from that guy tomorrow.. If not then I will try to get in touch with him.  Time is winding down and I need to get something set up soon. 

• Like 1

So yesterday I did receive that phone call.   Good / Bad news.     Good news is that he is still interested in wanting to work with me and apologized for getting to me later than expected. Bad news is their work is slowing down too and he is waiting for a certain job (about an hour or so from where I live) to kick off and start working there.  However, he has not received work when this job is going to start.   He believes it will start in about 3-4 weeks and wants to get me on it. 

So... it appears that one this certain job starts that he will take me on and go work it.   But, I wanted to get something lines up before my layoff date.... and it might take longer than 4 weeks... we do not know for sure. 

So all in all I am in a better situation than most other people I work with as I should have something lined up soon.   This does not mean that I won't still be looking for other opportunities.  After all I still have to take care of my family and do what is best for them.   Staying positive!!!

• Like 1

Well I have some good news.  Work asked me to stay till the 30th (end of this month) to help out with all the stuff that still needs to be done. and it is a LOT of work!!!

So this gives me about 3 more weeks to secure another job.

It is a little relief to be able to have some income still, and hopefully it will give my other prospects time to get things in order and to hire me (hopefully)

I am feeling good today.   OH! And I have another phone interview with a different company tomorrow afternoon. This job I know will not pay very much, and it is in a town that I really do not want to work in. but it is a job and could help to tie me over till I find something better.  We will see how it goes tomorrow.

Feelin good today!!!!

• Like 1

That is awesome news. It could be that those three weeks will be exactly what you need to get things set to order. These things have a tendency to work out. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I am hoping so!   That is what I am wishing for at least. 

So... even though I have not been exercising much, Today I spent most of my day wrapping pallets to get them shipped out tomorrow.  We are sending all of our inventory to another location and our warehouse has to be completely shipped by friday (Main reason I am getting to stay and help out)  so, my shoulders and forearms definitely got a work out today, and basically doing body weight squats all day long. I have not been this worn out in a while!   I am taking it as a good thing.

Just 4 more days of this and we will see what is next.  (I am going to be so sore in the morning)

• Like 1

So I have been slacking with this, but not much has been going on and that is a problem…

I have not heard back yet on when the job I am “supposed” to start working is going to start.   I know things take longer than expected, but my time feels like it is running short. I still have about 2 ½ weeks left but still… I just want the comfort of knowing what is next.

Next week my wife is going on a vacation without me.  Not for any bad reason or anything, but because of this layoff. We had paid for this trip months ago and it is not much. I gave my tickets and such to my mother in law because she has not gone to see this place either. I still wanted my wife and step-son to go so they can have something fun to do during the summer.  I chose to give my stuff up just in case I needed to start a new job.  Last thing I would want to do to a new employer is say “yea, I had vacation planned even though I just started here…”   it would not look good at all.

So they will be gone for a few days and I will miss them like crazy.  I have only been away from my wife for training through work 2 times since we have been married. It will be very strange to me to not have someone else in the house. But I know that the time will pass quickly.

Anyway. I will try to occupy my time with reading, going to the track at the local sports complex... YES!! I will try to get in some jogging!  (lord help me!) and just try to keep busy.

Still sending out job applications, and hopefully I can get the job with the guy I have bene in talks with soon.

• Like 1

I'm glad to hear that you are sticking with it. While I understand that it's hard to be apart for any extended length of time, try to enjoy the solitude that you'll have and they will be back before you know it. It always helps to stay active, and the positive vibes will be just one of several beneficial side effects. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

So still no word from the guy that I will be working with (hopefully).

I now have 1 week left of employment and I hope that I can find something soon. I am still sending out resumes and I have not heard anything else from any other place that I have applied to.

After next week I am going to try to send my resume to some “contract” inspection companies. Maybe I can get hired on by them and at least work a small job here and there?

I will admit, as time gets closer I am starting to panic a little. My wife is very worried and I am trying to stay positive but as time goes on and I am not getting any calls, I am getting increasingly worried.

I don’t really know what to do, I am just going to try to do what is best for me and my family.

I still have not been exercising much like I thought I would… I guess being a little depressed about the situation is to blame. Plus, even though I know my family is having a good time on vacation, I miss them terribly and can’t wait for them to come back.

But on a good note I did have a guy at work tell me I looked like I was getting “buff” haha.  A good compliment but could be the regular clothes I am wearing now since we had to turn in our uniforms Tuesday…. they were not very flattering. 

I am not sure how often I will be posting here lately.  Maybe something will happen next week.

Taking on with the inspection companies might not be a bad idea. Some work is better than no work. And, who knows? Something might pop up as a result of it. You've made it this far, and I have a feeling that you and your family will pull through it. I understand how hard it can be to keep moving forward in the face of mounting stress. This recent article from NF helped me move forward when I was recently facing some situations that were out of my control. Sometimes life is just like that. Keep focusing on the positives in your life and on what you can control, and the rest usually takes care of itself.  

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

That was an awesome article.  Thank you!  It definitely made me change my outlook quite a bit.

Yea, it sucks not having control, but it is not the end of the world. Things will get better, and maybe a few months from now I will be looking back and thinking “That was not so bad.”

Thank you Jor.  Your kind words and positivity are just what I needed this morning!

• Like 1

So yesterday was my last day of employment.   I will admit I am very sad to be leaving all of my coworkers. THEY are what made my job a good place to be.  Not necessarily the work… but the people that I worked with… that is what made it good and special.  Even though I know none of them will see this, I just wanted toput out there that they were some of the people people I have ever worked with. It was an honor to know them these past four and a half years, and they will be missed.  I wish them all good luck and hopefully this chapter in life will lead them all to bigger and better things, where ever that may be.    

Today I have such mixed emotions, a lot of people have found other work already, I have not found anything solid yet. I am still waiting to hear back from one of my strongest prospects. I emailed him earlier this week and got an “auto-response”. So I am hoping he is just on vacation or something for this holiday weekend.

Next Tuesday I will be heading to Baton Rouge to personally hand my application to a company that uses people as contract workers. I am hoping my NACE level 2 certification will help set me apart from other people and can get me set up with a job. It is a long shot, but what else do I have. Haha!

As far as fitness goes, I need to make myself get moving. I have been very active at work getting ready for the shut-down. And need to continue keeping active.  I am probably going to keep myself waking up earl in the morning and instead of “going to work” at 6 am…. I can go to the track.  Stay in a routine. And “make my bed” every day. (Thanks again Jor!)

I have sent out about 6 more applications this past week... so hopefully I can hear something soon from at least one of them.   Keeping my spirits up! And trying my best to keep my wife’s spirits up too. This is effecting the whole family. But I believe we will come out Stronger and better once we get through this.

Stay positive!

• Like 2

SO hooray for me!!!  I actually went jogging this morning up and down my street. I made 8 passes (4 round trips) and each round trip is about half a mile.  So I say I walked / jogged about 2 miles this morning.  I learned 2 things this morning…..first, a lot of people leave for work around 6:45… when I used to leave at 5:30…  and I know they saw me sweating my butt off! Haha!  and secondly… I enjoy lifting weights more so than running.   Mainly due to my foot and knee give me problems after.  But at least running is free right now. And it is something. Maybe I can work up to my knee not hurting. And my foot I can try to stretch out and see if it helps.

But I am proud that I got up early, off of my lazy jobless butt and did something.  (made my bed too!) after my wife got up from sleeping around 8. Haha!

So today I head to Baton Rouge to hit up a few inspection companies that might be able to offer me some travel work.  I will be on the road in about 30 minutes. Even if nothing happens today, I still feel pretty positive.   I received an email from the job I most want to work at. While they won’t be hiring till possibly November/ December/ January… they still want me to keep in touch and will contact me once they are able to start hiring again.  So if I can get a job to hold out for a few months and then go work for them, that would be a good situation.

As of right now, as long as I can keep the lights on and my family fed I will be happy.

Here’s to a good day!!!!! 

• Like 2

As always, awesome to hear how you're staying positive. Really looking forward to reading how Baton Rouge turns out. Just keep moving forward, and things will eventually come around.

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar