Habitica / HabitRPG

If any of you aren't familiar, Habitica is like NerdFitness for getting things done.. It's NerdGetShitDone. Just like NF you set the habits you would like to build, the things you have to do daily, and your to-do list, and each item you check off causes you to gain HP/Gold/MP/XP and level up.

Here is where I come to you, hat in hand.

There are parties/groups, where if a member of a party doesn't get everything done...it hurts everyone else in the party.

There are specialties/classes with unique skills/spells that can help the group as a whole.

There are quests, where everyone needs to complete their tasks to help slay "The Basi-List" or "The Laundromancer" in order to gain the phat loots at the end.

Take a look at the screenshot below, I have set up habits I would like to build or inhibit (Be more productive, drink water instead of soda, stop drinking as much alcohol, etc.). Grayed out dailies mean they don't have to be completed today (I don't gotta wake up Sundays, no thank you!). I have set up rewards for things that will motivate me, spending time lockpicking, or building out my "Stable" in the game.  I have also utilized the "Rewards" as a penalty, costing me gold as well as a NEGATIVE click on "On time/late" if I wake up late. This costs me health, mana and gold on something that I am really working on.

hP3MG10.jpg

I want to utilize Habitica to build my NF online accountabilibuddies. I want to be held accountable not just for my fitness, but my overall productivity, as well.

If anybody is already utilizing Habitica, and is interested in joining my party, let me know by either replying to this or by messaging me. I will need your email if you are not signed up, or your username if you already have an account.

I am currently a rogue and am looking for at least three others (everyone in the screenshot above is "stale") that will dedicate to being a warrior, a mage, and a healer so that we can assist each other

In the mean time, if interest is shown, a Habitica tips/tricks thread may be started (like using +/- habits effectively, organizing your lists so they're easy to read, etc.)

• Like 1

Can't join the party as I'm already part of one that I quite like, but I'll second the recommendation for Habitica. Its 'game mechanics' are not particularly great and aspects of it are a bit cheesy, but overall I find it an excellent tool for anyone who likes the idea of viewing life as a game of sorts and wants a little extra accountability from friends or strangers. I've found it to be great for keeping on top of habits and to-dos. Most importantly it's given me a structure for recording and tracking that I've been able to stick to much better than other similar apps - maybe because of the social accountability bit.

As for the +/- habits (vs. Dailies), I think they are mostly intended for things that come at irregular intervals, though I do use some +/- habits for things that occur every day as well. I tend to use the + for "good" (successfully did a good habit, successfully resisted a craving to do a bad habit) and - for failure (failed to do a good habit, gave into a craving for a bad habit). At present, the habits that only have + or only have - just cause a ticker to go ever more deeply into the blue (for +) or red (for -), which doesn't make sense to me, so I have all my habits set up to have both + and - ... that way I can interpret blue as "mostly doing it right" and red as "needs work".

• Like 1
8 hours ago, pseudobison said:

Can't join the party as I'm already part of one that I quite like, but I'll second the recommendation for Habitica. Its 'game mechanics' are not particularly great and aspects of it are a bit cheesy, but overall I find it an excellent tool for anyone who likes the idea of viewing life as a game of sorts and wants a little extra accountability from friends or strangers. I've found it to be great for keeping on top of habits and to-dos. Most importantly it's given me a structure for recording and tracking that I've been able to stick to much better than other similar apps - maybe because of the social accountability bit.

As for the +/- habits (vs. Dailies), I think they are mostly intended for things that come at irregular intervals, though I do use some +/- habits for things that occur every day as well. I tend to use the + for "good" (successfully did a good habit, successfully resisted a craving to do a bad habit) and - for failure (failed to do a good habit, gave into a craving for a bad habit). At present, the habits that only have + or only have - just cause a ticker to go ever more deeply into the blue (for +) or red (for -), which doesn't make sense to me, so I have all my habits set up to have both + and - ... that way I can interpret blue as "mostly doing it right" and red as "needs work".

Major bummer already being in a party, pseudobison!  What class did you choose?

All good points, though. The social accountability is a big part of it for me.

I also like utilizing the "rewards" as barrier to me progressing regarding pets and mounts. Keeps the game dragging on a bit more for me.  I haven't made much progress with my mounts for awhile though, as I may have set the price too high for feeding for me. Will need continual adjustment.

I also like utilizing "Dailies" with no scheduled days as labels to keep things organized with headers, same as with habits.

I'm a L65 mage - only class I've tried out so far. My only complaint is, Burst of Flames seems a little broken? And it would be nice to have more than just the one attack spell that I have to click 928734983 times to use up my mana on once I've cast Earthquake and Ethereal Surge for the party. But other than that I like it.

Ooh, "Dailies" with no scheduled days is a clever hack. May have to try that one out.

Yeah - In addition to joining a party, the other big thing that made Habitica a lot more motivating for me was adding some rewards. Mine are mostly for spending guilt-free time on "constructive leisure activities" (fun things that involve me learning something or making something), as well as some that reinforce my larger goals, as Steve suggested in one blog post. As soon as I added those, the 'gold' transformed from seeming like a meaningless number to something much more motivating. Magic!

Also, I just  searched the guildhall for "Nerd Fitness"discovered there's an unofficial Nerd Fitness Rebellion guild, with 450 members! So that's cool.

On 3/22/2016 at 11:33 PM, pseudobison said:

I'm a L65 mage - only class I've tried out so far. My only complaint is, Burst of Flames seems a little broken? And it would be nice to have more than just the one attack spell that I have to click 928734983 times to use up my mana on once I've cast Earthquake and Ethereal Surge for the party. But other than that I like it.

Ooh, "Dailies" with no scheduled days is a clever hack. May have to try that one out.

Yeah - In addition to joining a party, the other big thing that made Habitica a lot more motivating for me was adding some rewards. Mine are mostly for spending guilt-free time on "constructive leisure activities" (fun things that involve me learning something or making something), as well as some that reinforce my larger goals, as Steve suggested in one blog post. As soon as I added those, the 'gold' transformed from seeming like a meaningless number to something much more motivating. Magic!

Also, I just  searched the guildhall for "Nerd Fitness"discovered there's an unofficial Nerd Fitness Rebellion guild, with 450 members! So that's cool.

I just joined up on the Nerd Fitness guild, thanks for the info @pseudobison

Also, for headers, if you preface your "Daily" with a hashtag (or multiple) it changes text size/bolding

Habitica supports every emoji I've tried so far. You can find a full list of Emojis on this cheat sheet here: http://www.emoji-cheat-sheet.com/

They add a bit of that "gamey" feeling to the entire interface.

• Like 1

I use Habitica as well. I'm currently a lvl 26 mage and already have a party, 3 friends I convinced to start playing.

I'm still spending money on the equips, but soon I'll start making some rewards to stay motivated.

It's nice to see others using habitica as well, It helped me improve my diligence a lot, I'm a lot more responsible and organized, being able to see my own progress as well is awesome.

And thanks for the tips, the daily without a day and the hashtag ones were amazing

I'm not a Native English speaker, so please bear with any mistakes and gently point them out for me :smile:

Intro & Log

Study Hall (Accountabilibuddies)

STR:8   -   INT:17   -   WIS:15   -   DEX:11   -   CON:7   -   CHR:15

(Stats from AD&D Quiz) 

I'm a member on there as well. I got to level 103 and have tried every class. Mage is probably the most powerful, rogue is the best for collecting things. I just respawned at level 1 since I respawned here too. :)

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Base Character: Elantrian

Class/ Profession: Druid

Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Battle Log Whole30

I think, if you build your character a certain way (just like in any RPG) you can get pretty OP pretty quickly.

On my next go around (once I get the free respawn) I will utilize automatic allocation based upon task category.

Distribute attribute points based on task activity: Assigns points based on the Physical (STR), Mental (INT), Social (CON), and Other (PER) categories associated with the tasks you complete.

Should be interesting.

On 4/2/2016 at 8:25 PM, SirPrize said:

I use Habitica as well. I'm currently a lvl 26 mage and already have a party, 3 friends I convinced to start playing.

I'm still spending money on the equips, but soon I'll start making some rewards to stay motivated.

It's nice to see others using habitica as well, It helped me improve my diligence a lot, I'm a lot more responsible and organized, being able to see my own progress as well is awesome.

And thanks for the tips, the daily without a day and the hashtag ones were amazing

I am glad those worked out for you!  If you find anything that works particularly well for you, please share it! Let's all work together to be more efficient in levelling up our lives.

• Like 1

I LOVE Habitica. I've been doing it for a while and have gotten so much done. Highly recommend!

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 272 lbs

Current Challenge: Legend of RhiaWolfe: Tears of the Food Cravings

Previous Challenges: 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

Hi AquaRose!

Sadly you can only add people as a party, and you can only be a member of one party per character. They've just added a Group Plans feature, which I haven't tried yet, but I'm not sure it's what we're looking for.

Also, do add yourself to "The Nerd Fitness Rebellion (Unofficial)" guild! Right now it's pretty dead - though there has been some recent discussion in the chat area there. I'm already a member of a non-Nerd-Fitness party, but I'd be interested in creating a new character in a separate browser so that I could join a NF party, if you and/or others here have any interest?

Various tips and tricks can be found on the Habitica wiki and the two subreddits, but I'm all for a separate tips & tricks thread on the forums if someone wants to start it.

On 4/3/2016 at 2:07 PM, NOP_sled said:

I think, if you build your character a certain way (just like in any RPG) you can get pretty OP pretty quickly.

I mean, depending on what you're trying to do. If you are a huge boss Quest fighter than yeah, it's pretty dang easy to gain XP when you can just cast the same spell multiple times to deal like, 200+ damage each day. Although you an become pretty rubbish at those collection Quests(Which I wish Habitica had more of to balance Quest types out).

Challenge Logs:

Current Challenge | Fitocracy Profile | Photo Journal

Crab Stats:

Level 27 Ranger | Level 35 Fitocract | Level 100 Awesome

On 7/24/2016 at 8:51 PM, Pavowski said:

I just picked this up and have no idea what I'm doing.

Sent from the mothership.

On 12/29/2016 at 9:32 AM, AquaRose said:

I just started with this game yesterday. Would love a tips and tricks thread! Can you add people as friends or is it just as a party?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Just dropping this here, Habitica has made a Manual-type article for new players. This is the best place to figure out how to start out:

Newbie Guide

Challenge Logs:

Current Challenge | Fitocracy Profile | Photo Journal

Crab Stats:

Level 27 Ranger | Level 35 Fitocract | Level 100 Awesome