Fellow Rebels,

I'm trying to get into reading more, so I was wondering:  Does anyone know if some good horror books?  Scary ones, covering any topic.  Aliens in space, haunted asylums, creepy children, whatever.

Help me find some books that'll make me scared to turn off the lights.

• Like 1

Level 4

Character Sheet | Current Challenge |

| Past Challenges | #1 | #2 | #3#4 |
Educate - Entertain - Inspire

House of Leaves - Its the book equivalent of "found footage" movies. As in you are reading the  journal of a guy reading another dude's notes on a documentary mad about another dude's haunted house.  Its really hard to explain because its so complex and none of the narrators are reliable as they all go crazy. Its really interesting, and  good.. just read it. Also: can't be done on an e-Reader, as there are notes and random stuff written in the margins cuz.. well the narrators are all going mad.

NOS4A2 - By Joe Hill (The psuedonym of Steven King's Son). A Sentient Evil Car  keeps it's operator young by stealing away the souls of children.

I am Not a Serial Killer - A young man who knows he is a socio path and  who really likes the thought of killing things tries to be a moral and upstanding, albeit  troubled, member of society. Until he finds a prey that it is moral to kill, and will satisfy his urges: a Demon.

If you are OK With or willing to experiment with Graphic Novels / Comic Books:
Lock and Key - The Story of a family who after the violent death of the father go to live in his old childhood manor-home in New England. The Children soon encounter Magical keys that do all sorts of amazing things, and an evil presence in the house that needs to be unlocked. Simultaneously tragically beautiful and psychologically horrifying, this series is everything that comic-book storytelling can be, when you don't focus on Guys in Spandex punching robots.

ColoQ  ||   Level: 0
Techno Troll  ||  Assassin   
=========================
Current Challenge: 0 - V.2
Previous Challenges: ,
--------------------------------------------------
STR 0     ||   DEX 0    ||  STA 0
CON 0     ||    WIS 0    ||  CHA 0
--------------------------------------------------

I don't read a lot of horror, but when I do I like Stephen King. You can get whole novels (The Shining) or collections of creepy stories (The Night Shift), and those would be my recommendations. :)

WeyrCat Level 7, 2.
Neutral Gallifreyan Ranger - Sub-Class Druid.
STR: 2 DEX: 2 STA: 4 CON: 4 WIS: 4 CHA: 4
Challenge: 7. Rerolling! Run. Rehydrate, Read, repeat. - 
Teams: Prismatic Fanatics
"Do all the things!"
| Quests | Fitocracy | SparkPeople | Rising Heroes |

Mapelcroft by Cherie Priest is creeping Lovecraftian loveliness!  

I second the I am not a Serial Killer recommendation.

If you like creepy children, then Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children is innovative and neat!

Level 6 Ranger

Current Challenge - Scrubs!

Previous Challenges - Theme-Free LazinessMedieval MarginaliaBrandon Sanderson's Way of Kings Theme - AgainWay of Kings 1Top Gear ThemeStargate SG:1 themeIron Druid theme!

2016 Battle Log (Long term goal tracking)

I second House of Leaves. Also Nick Cutter's The Troop and The Deep. 

As for King, go with The Shining or Pet Sematary. Old school King is much scarier. 

This is what is required of you: to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. - Micah 6:8

You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns out he hates all the same people you do. - Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies

Like pirates, sharks, monkeys, and ghosts, ninjas will never not be exciting. - Danny Wallace, Yes Man

I do like good ol' King as well, but I'm trying to branch out a little bit.  His writing style can be... I don't know... "safe" I guess.  I want to say "predictable" without sounding like a dick.  I actually prefer King's un-scary work (yeah, un-scary is a word now).  The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger is a fantastic romp, for anyone here who hasn't read it.  It's LOTR, meets post-apocalypse, meets wild west.  Yeah, it's that crazy.

Polgara, my wife just got Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children, so I may have to steal it.

• Like 1

Level 4

Character Sheet | Current Challenge |

| Past Challenges | #1 | #2 | #3#4 |
Educate - Entertain - Inspire

+1 for the Dark Tower series (actually +123486123168948, it's my favourite series ever).  Stephen King's books are generally amazing, especially his older ones, though I understand the desire to branch out from that.

Dan Simmons Children of Night is really good, totally different than a lot of other books I've read.  Pretty scary, too.  He does horror really well in general actually - Song of Kali is also very good by him.

Another modern classic but totally worth the read is The Hellbound Heart. Clive Barker is brilliant.  Mr. B Gone is one of my favourites of his as well.

Bit late to the party, but have you tried vintage horror?  I made my way through the entire Lovecraft compendium a few years back and loved it.  It's really more eerie than truly horrific though by today's standards.

I too loved Stephen King for a long time but yes, his stories do get a bit predictable.  I find he's at his best when he's portraying truly awful humans, rather than the supernatural elements.  That's the kind of horror that really sticks with me.  :S

The best "supernatural thriller" I've read in recent years was "White is for Witching".  It weirded me out so much that I still think of it 5 years down the track!

• Like 3

A lot of really good suggestions in this thread!  I was raised on Stephen King and definitely agree that his older work is much scarier.  My personal favorite is IT.  As for more recent stuff, I just finished Black Moon by Kenneth Calhoun. It's about a world ravaged by mass insomnia and definitely has some unsettling scenes, especially when you read it right before bed!

I've got to second (or third?) the Dark Tower series. It isn't entirely horror, though it does have its moments.

While on the topic of Stephen King, I have to suggest Duma Key. I get the sense that it wasn't well received, as I'm the only I've found who really enjoyed it. But it scared the daylights out of me. It is all very surreal - birds flying upside down, smiling horses, lawn jockeys that shimmer in and out of existence. Makes me shudder just thinking about it.

"Mike! I found the chocolate pudding!"

Fitbit | Character | Battle | Challenge

I read Stephen King's IT last year when I was looking for scary books. It's hard for me to find books that actually scare me or creep me out. I had a fear of the movie IT when I was a kid, so I figured that if anything would scare me, that would be it. However, I was mistaken. I was actually more interested in the relationship between the kids and how they grew together and overcame the issues they were facing. None of it really 'scared me'. Every once in a while some part of it was kinda creepy. Some of it was just goofy. 

I haven't read any other Stephen King horror. I started the dark tower, but never finished it. 

NOS4A2 was a really good book. I found it somewhat creepy at times, but not really 'scary' to me. I really liked the concept though. I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it. 

I have yet to find a book that has creeped me out to the point that I get shivers up my spine or am afraid to be in the dark. It's kinda disappointing, but maybe I'll find something eventually. I usually like to read these types of books around Halloween. 

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 272 lbs

Current Challenge: Legend of RhiaWolfe: Tears of the Food Cravings

Previous Challenges: 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

I second Clive Barker, Books of Blood is a fantastic introduction to him but my favorite book from him is The Great and Secret Show, horror at itd purest form.

Also, if you like Lovecraft, search for Clark Ashton Smith: The Dark Eidolon, The Colossus of Ylourgne, Abominations of Yondo; dude had an outstanding imagination to create creatures and scenarios.

On 3/22/2016 at 0:21 PM, Bob the Bard said:

Fellow Rebels,

I'm trying to get into reading more, so I was wondering:  Does anyone know if some good horror books?  Scary ones, covering any topic.  Aliens in space, haunted asylums, creepy children, whatever.

Help me find some books that'll make me scared to turn off the lights.

I'm a fellow horror book lover! We should exchange suggestions, as I'm always looking for a good scary book! 

A few I loved that I would recommend are:

The Troop by Nick Cutter

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

It by Stephen King

Watchers by Dean Koontz

I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells

Alien: A River of Pain by Christopher Golden

Jurassic Park by Michael Chrichton is AWESOME

Perfect Circle by Sean Stewart

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (anything by Joe Hill is fantastic haha)

Hope this helps! Let me know if you've read any good horror books lately, I'd love to check them out! :) 

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

My NF Character | Goodreads | Twitter | My Author Site

HUMAN DRUID

Level: 1 | STR 6 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 5 | WIS 13 | CHA 5

Definitely backing everyone up on the House of Leaves love and Joe Hill love. Heart Shaped Box was my favorite. 

Other novels that kept me up at night: 

Bird Box by Josh Malerman -- oh, you know, if you see the monsters, they make you crazy. So you have to keep your eyes shut every time you leave the house. 

The Woman In Black by Susan Hill -- yes, I know that Harry Potter was in the film version, but you must believe me that this is delightful. 

Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay -- It's about demonic possession, which feels trite, topically, but this book is creepy AF. 

I've heard great things about Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt, but haven't read it yet. 

I don't read a lot of horror these days so some recommendations are going to be older...

Nancy Collins, the Sonja Blue series. Sunglasses After Dark is the first book.

Poppy Z. Brite, Lost Souls and Drawing Blood.

Stephen King, Everything's Eventual; Full Dark, No Stars; and Bazaar of Bad Dreams - as great as King's novels are, I've long had a soft spot for his short fiction. Bonus: if you get the Bazaar of Bad Dreams audiobook, King introduces each story himself, and reads a couple of them.

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin