Episode IV: A New Hope

Failed to document my workouts today but went up 5lbs on every set of 21s this morning just after breakfast and then girlfriend joined me for legs.

We started the process of getting over my squat issues. Did three sets of ten: bodyweight, 45lb plate hugged to my chest, and just the bar. First two went great, bar felt so damn foreign. Gonna have to keep working on it.

Gf was having trouble getting below parallel while keeping her feet flat so I just suggested she stay at bodyweight until she got that down.

Followed up with quad raises and hamstring curls on the end of my bench. Quads got up to about 190x10, had to have her stand on the back so it didn't tip. Hammies were significantly lower as I've neglected them in the past. Both of us are fairly shaky.

I can't speak enough to the benefit of having a partner who wants to be a part of your journey and lift with you. It's pretty amazing. Complete 180 from my previous life. :D

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 3
Spoiler

Currently...

Playing (Video Game): RDR2

DMing: Tyranny of Dragons.  First session 11/29.

Broba Fett tracks em down.

Facebook (Personal)  Facebook (Author Page)

Past Challenges:

12 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

Failed to document my workouts today but went up 5lbs on every set of 21s this morning just after breakfast and then girlfriend joined me for legs.

We started the process of getting over my squat issues. Did three sets of ten: bodyweight, 45lb plate hugged to my chest, and just the bar. First two went great, bar felt so damn foreign. Gonna have to keep working on it.

Gf was having trouble getting below parallel while keeping her feet flat so I just suggested she stay at bodyweight until she got that down.

Followed up with quad raises and hamstring curls on the end of my bench. Quads got up to about 190x10, had to have her stand on the back so it didn't tip. Hammies were significantly lower as I've neglected them in the past. Both of us are fairly shaky.

I can't speak enough to the benefit of having a partner who wants to be a part of your journey and lift with you. It's pretty amazing. Complete 180 from my previous life. :D

One thing that could help with mobility at the lower end of your (and her) squat range is this:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/43550-3030-squat-challenge/

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

2 hours ago, Why not? said:

One thing that could help with mobility at the lower end of your (and her) squat range is this:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/43550-3030-squat-challenge/

Oh man.  That'll be fun/sore.   I suggested she do a minute or two of a "grok squat" whenever she had spare time but 30 mins a day will definitely get it done.  Thanks for the link!

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Challenge thread is up.  Feel free to follow along.

Daily updates will likely be on there once the challenge starts while workout details will be here.

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

"That guy" is here too! Following wherever you go...

• Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal Stats: (
About Me)
Start Weight: 279.6    Current Weight: 270.1    Goal Weight: 220.0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge History: Lvl 1 Rebel, PvP, Lvl 2 Warrior, Lvl 3 Warrior

1 minute ago, VTSPE772 said:

"That guy" is here too! Following wherever you go...

Glad to have you.  Going to return the favor as soon as I get a minute to check our your threads.

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

I've fallen in love all over again.

My girlfriend joined me for back day today. Woman is a machine. We did BB Row and Deadlifts. She got up over 135x5 on rows and pulled 205 twice!

Keep in mind she's never done either exercise. She is just over 6' and ~220 so she has her build on her side but I was amazed at her strength. It was just about the sexiest thing I've ever seen.

My notes below:

BB Row:

45x5

95x5

135x5

155x5 (first one gf failed to get up 5x)

185x4 (I got the 5th up but had to use my lower back so I'm only taking credit for 4)

Next week I'll start shooting for 185x3x5

Deadlift:

135x5

185x5

225x5

295x5x2

Got a whole extra set at 295! Stopped because it was starting to feel tight in lower back.

Plan there is to keep working up to 295x5x3. Once I get there I'm going to start introducing the shovel Deadlifts I discovered in rookiebeotch's thread between rows and deads while I continue to look out for another pair of 45s. Feels phenomenal to move all the weight I own in the meantime though.

Food was good yesterday and off to a good start today. First weekly weigh in since starting back up is tomorrow. Excited to see what it says.

• Like 2
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

12 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

I've fallen in love all over again.

My girlfriend joined me for back day today. Woman is a machine. We did BB Row and Deadlifts. She got up over 135x5 on rows and pulled 205 twice!

Keep in mind she's never done either exercise. She is just over 6' and ~220 so she has her build on her side but I was amazed at her strength. It was just about the sexiest thing I've ever seen.

My notes below:

BB Row:

45x5

95x5

135x5

155x5 (first one gf failed to get up 5x)

185x4 (I got the 5th up but had to use my lower back so I'm only taking credit for 4)

Next week I'll start shooting for 185x3x5

Deadlift:

135x5

185x5

225x5

295x5x2

Got a whole extra set at 295! Stopped because it was starting to feel tight in lower back.

Plan there is to keep working up to 295x5x3. Once I get there I'm going to start introducing the shovel Deadlifts I discovered in rookiebeotch's thread between rows and deads while I continue to look out for another pair of 45s. Feels phenomenal to move all the weight I own in the meantime though.

Food was good yesterday and off to a good start today. First weekly weigh in since starting back up is tomorrow. Excited to see what it says.

awesome.gif

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

First week weigh-in today: 430.1 - > 419.9!

Feeling pretty good about life at the moment.

Pulled up my old threads from 2013 to see where my life's were when I started here and found an excellent tip from El exorcisto, a release that helps immensely with lower back pain from squatting/deadlifting. Did it last night and this morning and i'm almost pain free. It's marvelous. I had completely forgotten about it and am so glad I didn't delete my account when I stopped showing up before.

I shall try to copy/paste it when I get in front of a computer later today so others can try it.

• Like 1
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

57 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

First week weigh-in today: 430.1 - > 419.9!

Feeling pretty good about life at the moment.

Pulled up my old threads from 2013 to see where my life's were when I started here and found an excellent tip from El exorcisto, a release that helps immensely with lower back pain from squatting/deadlifting. Did it last night and this morning and i'm almost pain free. It's marvelous. I had completely forgotten about it and am so glad I didn't delete my account when I stopped showing up before.

I shall try to copy/paste it when I get in front of a computer later today so others can try it.

That's a good Week 1 right there.

Also, reverse hypers can be good to do after heavy squatting/deadlifting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSa7Ak584Lw

I used to be able to get videos to embed on here...oh well, here's another one for those without access to a reverse hyper machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxAljf2-laY

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

I used to be able to get videos to embed on here...

Embedded fine on Tapatalk. I'll have to give it a shot. Looks promising.

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

The advice El Exorcisto gave me way back when:

It sounds like you have "I spent too many of my younger days on my ass" syndrome, or a tight iliopsoas. The psoas inserts into the lumbar spine and the femur while the iliacus insert in the pelvis and joins with the psoas. It hurts more when you stand up because the sitting position puts the psoas in a more contracted position so it remains tight as you stretch it when you stand. When it is tight it yanks on your lumbar and compresses it, causing the pain you're describing and I lived with for a decade or so off and on. Here's the release for the iliopsoas, and should have you feeling like a million bucks once you clean up the puke and tears:

Lay on your back either on your couch or bed with one leg hanging off

Bring the foot of the hanging leg back towards your head until you get a good stretch on your quads, similiar to the setup for benching just with one foot

With two or three fingers press into your belly in line with your belly button just medial of your iliac crest

Work your fingers in a head to toe motion, working with the grain on the muscle

When one region relaxes move down along your crest until you are just above your junk

Follow this up with the warrior stretch held for 30 seconds each side

The release will hurt a lot. If it doesn't hurt, you're not doing it right. Do it daily for a few days and try to do it before squatting or deadlifting. Ever since getting to work on mine my lower back pain is almost gone except the day after heavy deadlifting but it's as simple as releasing it again and it's gone. It's never as bad as I used to get it for no apparent reason.

Worked flawlessly for me last night and this morning.  Hope it helps. 

(I totally posted this with no context at all in my challenge thread.  Whoops!)

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

So... Looked up a local strongman event next month and came across this event roughly 2.5 hrs from me.

If i signed up as a novice, I feel fairly confident I could handle those lifts by the end of July.  Biggest fears would be learning to clean the axle so I can press it and the yoke.  I've walked a few steps with >300 on the bar to put it on a power rack  (because I'm too lazy to lift the bar to pull off plates) but never walked carrying anything near 500lbs before.

I'm sorely tempted to sign up.  Or at least make that part of my reward for finishing the april challenge:  Join the strongman gym and sign up for an event.  :D

• Like 1
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

1 hour ago, Broba Fett said:

So... Looked up a local strongman event next month and came across this event roughly 2.5 hrs from me.

If i signed up as a novice, I feel fairly confident I could handle those lifts by the end of July.  Biggest fears would be learning to clean the axle so I can press it and the yoke.  I've walked a few steps with >300 on the bar to put it on a power rack  (because I'm too lazy to lift the bar to pull off plates) but never walked carrying anything near 500lbs before.

I'm sorely tempted to sign up.  Or at least make that part of my reward for finishing the april challenge:  Join the strongman gym and sign up for an event.  :D

That's some serious weight. I wouldn't be able to complete any of the events in my weight class haha. I think I could manage all of the novice events, except for maybe the atlas stones. Those things are tough.

That event would be awesome compete in (and I expect pictures if you do). I would, however, recommend that you do some training for the events first, to see how much weight you can move. Strongman lifts are a bit different from conventional lifting movements and most people find them more challenging.

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

I would, however, recommend that you do some training for the events first, to see how much weight you can move. Strongman lifts are a bit different from conventional lifting movements and most people find them more challenging.

Yeah absolutely. I think I'm gonna focus on getting back into a rhythm and getting my conventional lifts as high as I can in April and then see about joining the strongman gym that has such implements available for me to practice on. That'd give me 3 full months to prepare.

• Like 2
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Wow, that looks awesome, and also like something I'd never manage. I'd say go for it if you're happy with where you are when you join the strongman gym!

• Like 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Downtime

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

Did 3 sets of curls before work this morning then decided that if I was considering a strongman competition in July that requires a clean of 185, I should probably try cleans.  So I did.

Dear God.  They are a workout.  I started light, having learned my lesson with my back to start at the beginning when trying something new.  I feel I can lift a lot more but there is some finesse/timing/technique to this movement.  A whole buttload of stuff is happening all at once and if you mess one thing up it just doesn't work.  I had a couple reps I had to redo because I did one little thing like hit my belly on the way up or didn't time my jump with lifting the bar off my legs.  I'll be doing some research (I think the newest Starting Strength edition includes cleans?) on form and then trying to up the weight quite a bit. Felt pretty good for the first time doing them though and I got through three full sets:

Curls (21s):

60x21

65x21

70x21

Cleans:

75x5

95x5

115x5

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Correction:  After some research I believe I was doing Power Cleans as there was no squatting.  I lifted the bar off the ground to my thighs, cleaned it to my shoulders 5x for each set, then set it down.

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Girlfriend wanted to lift last night so I obliged.  Want to keep her as motivated as I can.  Didn't push it as I was already a little sore from trying cleans for the first time that morning.

Seated Presses suck.  I feel unbalanced and weak doing them.  I need to either clean out the garage that's been packed full since I've met my girlfriend or take weights outside next time so I can do a proper overhead press. Dumb 7ish foot basement.

Seated Press:

45x5

95x5

105x5

115x2

Bench:

45x5

95x5

135x5

170x4 (Same as last week when I was fresh so I'll take it as a win.  Still felt the need to follow up with more reps at a lower weight though.)

135x10

Girlfriend did an excellent job.  She's very excited about regular lifting.  I'm very proud. 

Woke up excessively sore from the pecs up, as I suppose I should be.  Easy day of work until 5 and then Dungeons and Dragons with the guys.  I'm playing a half-elf/half-orc bard who is proficient in bagpipes and didgeridoo.  Should be a fun game.

• Like 1
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

A little bit of hang power clean technique:

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

A little bit of hang power clean technique:

That's definitely helpful. I don't appear to be getting my elbows up enough. Flexibility sucks. Traps were ridiculously sore for a couple days after those cleans. Nothing else really. Just major DOMS just in my traps. Was very weird.

Excellent first challenge day at the farm today, including a 320+lb farmer carry. Details in my challenge get thread.

• Like 1
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges: