...But what about second breakfast?

Hi all!

I'm Greif (not to be confused with "grief"!).  I'm 24 years old, recently graduated college with a degree in art and have not the foggiest idea what I'm doing with my life right now.

Well, okay, that's a lie.  I kinda do.  But it all feels rather confusing and slightly terrifying right now.  :'D  A few fitness-related facts about me:

- I probably fall more into the "average height" category at 5'4", but I have always identified heavily with hobbits.  I am hypoglycemic (in my case not linked to diabetes) and have been for as long as I can remember.  So that whole thing most people do, where they eat three meals and a snack or two a day?  Yeah, nuh-uh.  That's a no-go for me.  If I don't eat even something small every hour or two, three tops, I feel awful.  SO THAT BEING SAID I usually wind up eating like three small main meals and 5-6 small snacks a day.  Hence, hobbit.

- I have struggled with my weight my whole life like a lot of people here, but after beginning to live with my partner (who doesn't put on weight nearly as easily as I do) two and a half years ago, my weight has rocketed up to a lifetime high of 186.  I say "lifetime high" because I'll be damned if I let this spiral any further out of control, and not just because of a number on the scale!  Which leads me tooooo...

- ...the fact that I was in NJROTC in high school and practiced martial arts pretty actively from middle school through high school.  I stopped when I started college because I couldn't really afford classes anymore, and once I did I ever so slowly lost muscle and flexibility, which leads to now.  I feel so damn weak and stiff compared to how I used to be!

I've always had an interest in someday doing types of exercise that primarily involve lifting body weight (climbing, aerial dancing, parkour, etc.), so you could say I'm an Assassin hopeful.  But Ranger also calls to me!  Ah well, I have some time to decide. :D 

And for funsies, a few non-fitness related facts:

- I love video games--most recently I have been playing a mobile MOBA called Vainglory (despite not being too into MOBAs overall), as well as TESO where I have actually been dipping my toes into some RP.  I'm also a huge fan of WoW (though I don't play much these days), Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, The Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Fallout, Mass Effect, and others.

- I'm trying to learn German!

- My partner and I have a cat named Moose.

...aaaaand I should probably end it here, because this post is already too long and I have a tendency to ramble.  :'D  Anywho, I'm looking forward to getting involved in the community and talking to some of you guys! :D

The appropriate follow-up seems to be "what about elevensies?" :)  

You definitely have time to choose a guild, so I wouldn't worry about that for now.  Every guild is awesome.  When the new forums go up (probably tomorrow), get a challenge thread started with the Rebels and make some NF friends.  I'm personally a fan of bodyweight because it's free and it's extremely scalable for all fitness levels.  

Weight is a tough metric.  For most people, altering their eating habits is key.  I'm not going to give advice here, since you've mentioned that you have eating restrictions and I don't trust myself not to accidentally give you terrible pointers.  The only thing I will say is that healthy food is key and just subbing out soda for water can make a significant impact on how you feel.  At the end of the day though, worry more about how you feel rather than how much you weigh.  Starving/extreme exercise is not normally the appropriate way to make positive change.  Instead, find workout you enjoy and recipes you love and I'll bet that you will start to see weight loss as a result.

How are you learning German?  Duolingo?  I think there's a thread somewhere to help people find practice buddies.

Welcome to the rebellion!

-Artemis

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Mandalorian Assassin: Level 5

Current Challenge - Artemis becomes Mandalorian

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

Welcome :)

I identify as hobbit here, too. Mostly because of my height. I'm 157 cm, which equals 5'1 in feet.

And I love role playing. That's why I'm running around with my characters name here ^^

Like artemis said. You have plenty of time chosing a guild. You can also switch guild in between challenge. You could for example visit the monks if you ever wanted to go back to martial arts. That's were I can be found. ;)

see you around the forums

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

". . . Afternoon tea?"

Welcome to the Rebellion! As a fellow lover of RPGs and halfling eating habits, I think you'll find you fit right in. :)

And I know the feeling of starting from a much weaker place than you were used to - I had almost the same experience with doing martial arts from middle/high school until college, then fell off the exercise wagon until I discovered running and weight training. Don't be afraid just to take it in small, slow steps. You'll be back in shape sooner than you think.

Hope to see you around the forums!

Level 6 Demon Hunter, Novice Troubadour

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

"I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it."

On 3/27/2016 at 0:19 AM, Artemis said:

The appropriate follow-up seems to be "what about elevensies?" :)  

You definitely have time to choose a guild, so I wouldn't worry about that for now.  Every guild is awesome.  When the new forums go up (probably tomorrow), get a challenge thread started with the Rebels and make some NF friends.  I'm personally a fan of bodyweight because it's free and it's extremely scalable for all fitness levels.  

Weight is a tough metric.  For most people, altering their eating habits is key.  I'm not going to give advice here, since you've mentioned that you have eating restrictions and I don't trust myself not to accidentally give you terrible pointers.  The only thing I will say is that healthy food is key and just subbing out soda for water can make a significant impact on how you feel.  At the end of the day though, worry more about how you feel rather than how much you weigh.  Starving/extreme exercise is not normally the appropriate way to make positive change.  Instead, find workout you enjoy and recipes you love and I'll bet that you will start to see weight loss as a result.

How are you learning German?  Duolingo?  I think there's a thread somewhere to help people find practice buddies.

Welcome to the rebellion!

-Artemis

I was going to say "Elevensies"! That's the first thing I thought of when I say "what about 2nd breakfast?"

I like how you (Artemis) said about diet and going how you feel.  I've started a grade system on my calendar, I grade out of 100.  If I feel I rocked my food choices I give myself 100, if not, maybe I over ate things or ate deep fried, I grade lower. Fore it really is how I feel about eating those things, I know what I should and shouldn't be eating, why not reward myself with numbers?  For my confidence its been helping as well.  

So Greif! I love your hobbit analogue.  I'm a 5'7" hobbit.  I'm always snacking and I'm always barefoot.  Good Luck on picking a guild! And welcome! 

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Hi! Welcome! 

I'll echo what others have said - there's no rush to pick your guild. And any guild that you do pick will be welcoming, so there are no bad choices. :) 

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell.