please help me choose a squat rack

Do you need to have safeties for benching?  Only one of these seems to indicate it has safety arms (Option #1) but I'd really steer clear of that option since it has such big adjustment ranges.  

Of the 3 you posted, I'd go Option 2 if you have the space for it since it has a Pull-up bar as well.  I have a TDS Cage in my basement and it's fine for what it is, so probably nothing wrong with Option 3 either.  

If I was purchasing something similar to a Squat Rack for my home, my first option would be to upgrade to a power rack.  Just way more functionality in a Power Rack then just squat stands.  But if you want to just have Squat Stands, and money wasn't a concern, I'd go this route simply for how it goes down to almost nothing. 

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-rml-3w-fold-back-wall-mount-rack

• Like 1

Rook's link is my intent for my basement. It also has safety arms you can buy for it.

For me, the biggest thing for choosing a squat rack or stand is to get one with safeties for a failed lift. The second is to make sure it's stable when reracking. I don't like squat stands because I like to slam the bar home kinda hard after a set, and I've almost knocked some over. The third priority is smaller increments for height adjustments. I prefer power cages rather than squat racks. They tend to be more adjustable and have pull up bars and such.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

On 3/28/2016 at 11:59 AM, Rooks said:

Do you need to have safeties for benching?  Only one of these seems to indicate it has safety arms (Option #1) but I'd really steer clear of that option since it has such big adjustment ranges.  

Of the 3 you posted, I'd go Option 2 if you have the space for it since it has a Pull-up bar as well.  I have a TDS Cage in my basement and it's fine for what it is, so probably nothing wrong with Option 3 either.  

If I was purchasing something similar to a Squat Rack for my home, my first option would be to upgrade to a power rack.  Just way more functionality in a Power Rack then just squat stands.  But if you want to just have Squat Stands, and money wasn't a concern, I'd go this route simply for how it goes down to almost nothing. 

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-rml-3w-fold-back-wall-mount-rack

On 3/28/2016 at 7:22 PM, Broba Fett said:

+1 to option 2, especially if the organization holes go all the up and down. Adds a lot of versatility.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

On 3/30/2016 at 9:59 AM, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Rook's link is my intent for my basement. It also has safety arms you can buy for it.

For me, the biggest thing for choosing a squat rack or stand is to get one with safeties for a failed lift. The second is to make sure it's stable when reracking. I don't like squat stands because I like to slam the bar home kinda hard after a set, and I've almost knocked some over. The third priority is smaller increments for height adjustments. I prefer power cages rather than squat racks. They tend to be more adjustable and have pull up bars and such.

Thank you everyone for the insight.  It definitely makes me look at my choices differently.  More to consider!

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

I'm also saving up for a home gym and decided it was worth it to continue to use the racks at the gym until I can afford a power rack/cage. To me that seems preferable to forking over cash for a squat stand now but then ending up needing (read: wanting) a power rack down the road anyway. It's about an extra $100-200, but it seems like it is worth the wait. 

I'm saving up for this one: http://www.titan.fitness/short-power-rack.html It's a shorter one for ceilings as low as 6'. 
I've seen it for $260 up until recently, went back up to $299. So definitely keep an eye out for sales on these types of things. 

And you can get some stuff like bars/plates used at discount sporting good stores. 

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

4 hours ago, fitjulia said:

I'm also saving up for a home gym and decided it was worth it to continue to use the racks at the gym until I can afford a power rack/cage. To me that seems preferable to forking over cash for a squat stand now but then ending up needing (read: wanting) a power rack down the road anyway. It's about an extra $100-200, but it seems like it is worth the wait. 

I'm saving up for this one: http://www.titan.fitness/short-power-rack.html It's a shorter one for ceilings as low as 6'. 
I've seen it for $260 up until recently, went back up to $299. So definitely keep an eye out for sales on these types of things. 

And you can get some stuff like bars/plates used at discount sporting good stores. 

That's looks pretty great.  Y'all are selling me on the cage.  It seems so versatile overall.  I'm going to keep my eyes open. 

I've found that craigslist is the best for plates and cheap bars.

• Like 3

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'd just point out that both #1 and #3 are being used incorrectly (guys are facing the wrong way).  

Also, while these are shown out in the middle of a room, the only way they will be safe is if they are bolted to something, or are shoved up against a wall.  Even with light weights, they are going to scoot across the floor and tip back and forth.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I'd just point out that both #1 and #3 are being used incorrectly (guys are facing the wrong way).  

Also, while these are shown out in the middle of a room, the only way they will be safe is if they are bolted to something, or are shoved up against a wall.  Even with light weights, they are going to scoot across the floor and tip back and forth.

Ha, those guys do look awkward.

Thanks for the safety tip.  that's another consideration, since I rent.  I also wouldn't trust the walls in here more than the air for keeping things steady.