DAY 1. Joined NF. Still reading through things. Joined Assassin Guild as it fits the best with my circus background and goals (half of which are in service of being a better aerialist, and the other half are just general life-improvement things).

GOALS

1. Develop a home fitness program that I enjoy and actually stick with. Belonging to a gym was not working for me (money, transportation difficulties, lack of space at free weight stations [bros!]) so I quit. But I don't want to quit exercising- I want to make it more regular. That's why I joined here- community and accountability will help a lot! 

2. Improve stamina. Start running again. The weather is improving and there is no excuse! My cardio fitness sucks and I can tell after climbing a rope or silk a couple of times!

3. Get stronger. I feel that I have lost strength over the past couple of years. Although I do circus classes 2-3 times a week I no longer do regular strength training. I have been working on incorporating bodyweight exercises into my day [during small computer breaks, using Coach.me app and google sheets to track] and feel better already. Want to add in some free weight exercises too. I have a full set of free weights but probably need to get a bench. 

4. Improve flexibility. I have already developed a morning routine including 15 minutes of stretching, but I could probably do more. Want to be able to do a full split on at least one side if not both by the time I turn 40 (1.3 years to go!). Would like to be able to do a full pancake straddle. I had a mysterious shoulder pain / RSI problem that lasted for about 5 months and has just begun to improve over the past month with a concerted effort at stretching regularly. Keep stretching and being mindful of potential injuries. 

5. Keep meditating and focus on positive mental health. Since the new year I have been pretty good about meditating for at least 10 minutes every day. My morning routine now includes 15 minutes of sitting meditation, which I do right after the 15m stretching. It has definitely helped improve my mood and mental self-control. I have kept a daily journal for many years where I mostly just write what happened that day, but this year I started keeping another one where I specifically focus on listing 3 good things that happened each day. I think this has been very helpful to cultivating a positive outlook. I have struggled with depression in the past (mostly mild with occasional brief bad spells), and am always trying to find strategies to stay in a healthy place. (I took Zoloft for a couple of years in college but haven't done medication since then. I think regular exercise and other strategies such as meditation have helped me far more than medication ever did).  

6. Work on improving my diet. I have been vegan for 15 years and I think I eat a fairly healthy and varied diet . I try to eat more whole foods and less processed foods, but there is always room for improvement. I tend to eat too much if I am eating something I enjoy. I probably eat too many simple carbs [pasta!]. I also plan to play around with eating smaller meals more frequently- I have done this in the past and it helped with keeping my energy level more consistent throughout the day. 

7. Develop better sleep habits. I work from home and tend to be nocturnal, which can lead to difficulties. I tend to stay up too late, get up fairly early in the morning (7:30am), then take a nap in the afternoon, and then have difficulties falling asleep at night. Over the past week I have started working on cutting out naps (except for a once-a-week indulgence) using another Facebook habit group for accountability. The first two days I ended up feeling even more wired at night, but I'm starting to feel things settling down and actually have been tired at night so I think it is starting to help. 

TODAY'S VICTORIES (via Coach.me challenges)

15mins general stretching AM

15mins sitting meditation (music) AM

Tricep dips- 30 (legs fully extended)

Abs- 70 situps, 95 crunches, 42 leg raises, 60s plank

Handstand- 1min wall hold, 1min wall hold alternating feet off wall every 15s, 10 (tiny) handstand pushups [can't get all the way to the ground yet, also I can feel this is too much for my "bad" shoulder so this is something I want to work on gradually improving].

Bodyweight squats- 130 [two sets of 65]

Split stretching- 2m20s wall split stretch

Pushups- 16 (didn't go as low as I could have)

• Like 2

Welcome welcome @Welcome welcome!!! @FlyingJen I'm fairly new too. Sounds like you have a dash of druid in there, I'm a bit of a druid/warrior mutt :) Following for support! 

I've been off processed foods since this past September, and I feel amazingly better. Probably a good call for all nutritional preferences! Best of luck and I'll be keeping an eye out for updates!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Welcome welcome @Welcome welcome!!! @FlyingJen I'm fairly new too. Sounds like you have a dash of druid in there, I'm a bit of a druid/warrior mutt :) Following for support! 

I've been off processed foods since this past September, and I feel amazingly better. Probably a good call for all nutritional preferences! Best of luck and I'll be keeping an eye out for updates!

Thanks! Oh, I'm definitely some sort of Assassin/Druid hybrid. I love yoga and meditation! 

• Like 1

Sounds like it! @FlyingJen And it seems we're having a flip experience, I just went from home/field workout-er to gym folk for the first time in 15 years, packin on some muscle density for my forties ;) But I came up as a gymnast then diver, and have been practicing martial arts ever since. I also work from home, but am more of a midday person at preference. (Definitely not a morning person! But not night either... I peak between 10am - 6pm ha!). Assasins are a great group, I'm sure you'll get some awesome support there!

• Like 2

DAY 2. Still reading and absorbing all the info here...So much to take in! Took "before" photos of myself in sports bra and booty shorts (part of a circus costume, haha). I thought I was fairly comfortable with my body but it was still a weirdly uncomfortable thing to do. I was going to go ahead and upload the photos but for some reason it won't let me upload even though they are below the file size requirement. 

I don't think I need to lose weight but I would like to be a bit more toned as I was when I was doing strength training more regularly. I'm definitely at a point in life (38) where one's metabolism inevitably slows and gravity begins to take its toll...

Today's Victories (exercises via coach.me challenges)

Completed 15mins each morning stretching/meditation

Did not take a nap. 

35 tricep dips (legs straight)

140 bodyweight squats (in two sets of 70)

[abs and pushups rest days]

2min30s wall split hold

Took a 15min walk outside

Handstands- 1min wall hold, 1 min wall hold alternating feet off wall 15s, 10 baby handstand pushups

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, FlyingJen said:

DAY 2. Still reading and absorbing all the info here...So much to take in! Took "before" photos of myself in sports bra and booty shorts (part of a circus costume, haha). I thought I was fairly comfortable with my body but it was still a weirdly uncomfortable thing to do. I was going to go ahead and upload the photos but for some reason it won't let me upload even though they are below the file size requirement. 

This was one of my first challenges, ~taking the before selifie~ bleh! I'm the total loud mouth, working the room girl, but doing a photo in my skivvies was another story. For help posting, I use imgur for NF, and use the BB code for adding to a post. Kind of a hassle, but I'm of the visual sort so I find it's worth the effort. (NF can't really rock images well.)

Meanwhile, 140 squats? Dayum! I've never tried for a number like that, makes me wanna see if I could do it! Maybe I'll fold that in to my lifting warmups sometime soon...

• Like 1

DAY 3. A bit swamped with work today, also had a headache in the afternoon and had to take a nap (no more naps for the rest of the week!). Was hoping to start figuring out my new workout plan but it didn't happen.

Today's VIctories

• Completed 15min each morning stretch/meditation [very pleased about this because I had bad dreams that left me with a weird negative emotional hangover and REALLY wanted to just go back to sleep, but made myself do this first, and then after I did it I felt much better and was able to get on with my day]
  • Pullups (bar is across office door, I have to do one pullup every time I go in. I don't keep count but I should)
  • 140 bodyweight squats (2 sets of 70)
  • 2 sets of 10 pushups
  • Performance prep circus class (1h), open practice (1h). Not constant activity by any means but a good workout. Trained toe hangs 3x, pull through pullups on lyra 4x.

Rest day for abs and dips. Did not do handstands in afternoon because of headache. Arms too tired after class to be able to do them. Did not go for a walk outside which I am not happy about. Need to figure out how to get outside every day! Probably have to set an alarm and just go. 

• Like 1

Hey there :)

Pole dancer to follow for your circus arts, yay. I have dabbled a little with Lyra and am curious: what is a pull through pull up?

I am finding myself in many parts of your goals, don't like gyms much, but want to get stronger and workout more often, work from home and often create silly schedule for me by working too late then being down the next day... which leads to unproductive... which leads to disgust at myself, new burst of energy and getting things done and again not knowing when to stop as the point when all work is done never comes... :P

I really like your morning routine and the daily walk. What all do you do in the mornings?

Going to be so cool watching you rock those goals! Best of success and have tons of fun :)

• Like 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

8 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Hey there :)

Pole dancer to follow for your circus arts, yay. I have dabbled a little with Lyra and am curious: what is a pull through pull up?

I am finding myself in many parts of your goals, don't like gyms much, but want to get stronger and workout more often, work from home and often create silly schedule for me by working too late then being down the next day... which leads to unproductive... which leads to disgust at myself, new burst of energy and getting things done and again not knowing when to stop as the point when all work is done never comes... :P

I really like your morning routine and the daily walk. What all do you do in the mornings?

Going to be so cool watching you rock those goals! Best of success and have tons of fun :)

Hello! I love that there are so many circus people here. I've never tried pole but it looks like so much fun! 

I don't have a proper name for the lyra thing I mentioned so I just made one up! You hang from the top of the lyra with straight legs hanging down in front, basically do a pullup, tuck your legs to get them through the middle, then hang straight down on the back. Repeat. It's pretty difficult! 

My morning routine is pretty much all a strategy to keep myself from giving in to the temptation to go back to bed! Even if I get enough sleep I don't feel great in the morning until I've given myself some time to wake up. I get up when my partner gets up (he has a regular day job). Feed the chinchillas, feed the parrot, make lunch for partner, drink coffee or tea (working on making this the only caffeine of the day). Put away the dishes from the dishwasher (one of my new habits this year is to always make sure all the dishes are washed at night). I like putting the dishes away because it's totally mindless yet productive. Usually by the time I'm done with that I actually feel like being awake. New thing this year is eating breakfast while catching up on nonfiction reading (just for the amount of time it takes me to eat, so sometimes I get through a couple of pages and sometimes just a paragraph or two). I used to just sort of gulp down breakfast while putting away the dishes or while starting work, but I like having it as a separate thing. Then I do 15 minutes of yoga/whatever stretches feel good/random movement to music. Basically whatever I feel like doing that day. Then 15 minutes of sitting meditation either with music or a guided one or silent, whatever feels right. (I highly recommend the Insight Timer app which has basically every meditation thing you could ever want- music, guided, just a timer). And that's it! So far it is working out great. I don't get to do all this on Friday morning because I have circus class then, but that's ok. And it's hard to do on weekends depending what is going on. Of course I start my work day later, but I feel so much better and more productive so it's worth it! I'm so grateful to have the flexibility to do this sort of thing.

• Like 1

that is an excellent strategy you have going there. 

I tried various morning routines, which were similar in some ways, but never stuck to one for long so far. Maybe I should look for mindless productive things, that is a great plan.

Guess Friday you don't need it anyway as Circus class will surely wake you up just fine ;)

• Like 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

DAY 4. Finally got around to reading more of the Academy stuff and knocked out a bunch of quests. Did the warm-up, cool-down, and recruit workout (which was easy for me but it wasn't nothing either as I'm already a bit sore from circus and all those squats). Planning to start with the Bodyweight Level 1 workouts to start even though I suspect they will be easy for me. Don't want to go over-enthusiastic and injure myself, especially with this stupid shoulder thing. Set up my Google Sheets spreadsheet for the next Challenge (http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/80548-flyingjens-first-challenge/). Also weighed myself and did all the measurement (ugh). I pretty much never weigh myself because I don't want to get fixated on a number in an unhealthy way. I weigh more now than I ever have in my life which is sort of emotionally weird, but I also have actual muscle which weighs more than fat. However I do feel like I've gotten a tiny bit flubby over the winter so it'll be interesting to see what happens once I get back into a regular routine, and it'll be good to have some numbers to use as a baseline.

TODAY'S VICTORIES.

• Completed 15min each morning stretch/meditation
  • Did one pullup each time entering office
  • Did Recruit workout with warmup and cooldown
  • Did 35 tricep dips from Coach.me app before I realized that I should probably give the app exercises a rest while I am doing the NF workouts.
  • Various stretching during computer breaks
  • Ate less food but spaced through the day- energy level much better than usual.
  • Successfully limited social media use to 5min am, 5min afternoon. Longer 20 min limit now (evening) for updates here.
  • Went for a 45 min walk.
  • Handstands- usual 1min hold/ 1min with 15sec foot alternations, 10 baby pushups will happen before bed.
  • Like 1

DAY 5. Mixed bag. Rest day on all exercises except morning yoga, stretching during computer breaks, and handstands which I will do later. I'm thinking I'll probably stop posting here for the duration of the next Challenge as it seems redundant. I'm starting challenge tracking tomorrow. Link in post above.

TODAY'S VICTORIES.

• Completed 15/15 morning stretch/meditation
  • Did one pullup each time entering office
  • Went for a 1h 15m walk instead of afternoon nap.
  • 5 minute dance party totally improved my evening lethargy!
  • Completed some annoying tasks that I had been putting off for a while. Adulting FTW!

TODAY'S NOT-SO MUCH VICTORIES...

• Wasn't so good at the computer breaks. Forgot to set the timer. 
  • Checked Facebook multiple times during day. 
  • Ate a ridiculous quantity of off-brand Funyuns on return walk from grocery store. One of my goals for the challenge is to cut salty snacks like chips, so I think I wanted one last little treat. I don't eat salty yummies often and generally don't buy them to keep in the house, because I have no self-control. Felt pretty ill after my little binge so I think that'll put me off such things for a while anyway.
  • Resisted the urge to take an afternoon nap, but did doze off on the sofa for about 20 minutes while waiting for my partner to get home.