tinkerer hurdles the obstacles

tinkerer

This challenge will involve two races and a bunch of obstacles. I'm viewing it as a hurdles race.

The last several of my challenges have been following a workout plan described in Training for the New Alpinism. As you might surmise, this book is intended to help climbers train for mountaineering. I have been completing a mix of running, hiking, weighted hill climbs, rock climbing, and strength training activities. In the midst of the last challenge, I realized that over the next year or so I need to accomplish a good number of house projects. For this challenge, I'm going to try to balance all of these things without losing the progress I've made training over the winter...

Skip to the end for the actual goals, this is just some discussion on the various things in play:

Races:
I do not compete in races very often but I'm really excited for these two. The second race is a big region-wide event, a 12k race with a lot of hills and thousands of participants. I've never done it even though its happened for many decades and I've lived in this area most of my life. I set a goal of 1:12 a few months ago but I'm starting to feel a lot more ambitious about what I can accomplish. This race is April 3rd.
The first race is a fast course with no hills, a 10k road race. Officially, I'm running this one to get a qualifying time for the second race. If I finish at a pace of 9:40 / mile or better I get to join the first wave of non-competitive runners. I'm hoping to hit a pace of 8:15 / mile but we'll see. This race is May 1st which I'll count as the final day of my challenge.

Obstacles:
For the first week of the challenge, I am traveling to Washington, DC. This is a work related trip to talk with my congressmen about issues that affect us at work. I'm really excited, a little nervous, and a little annoyed that it's going to interfere with life.
I'm also helping to teach a mountaineering class. This occupies a night and a weekend here and there. Not all of the class translates to training so it's something that I need to work in with everything else.

Projects:
Rebuild desk shelves
Sand and paint 8 window frames and 2 door frames
Install lights in our remodeled bathroom
Troubleshoot and fix motorcycle

Race Goals:
10K in 51:16
12K in...to be determined based on 10K time

Actual Challenge Goals:

Goal 1 - Run in Balance
DSC08039_zpsrlu81sjf.jpg
(That's me in the red) A key concept in mountaineering is to walk "in-balance". This means to have a solid base when you step and to avoid standing in a precarious position. For my challenge, it means I need to spend as much time on life-things as I do on training. I'll add up my time on the following things and keep it equal to or more than my training time.
House Projects
Cleaning the House
Laundry
Vehicle Maintenance
Yard Work

Goal 2 - Zone 1 Training
Week 0: 80 minutes (shortened for race prep)
Week 1: 300 minutes
Week 2: 300 minutes (Travel week)
Week 3: 360 minutes
Week 4: 80 minutes (shortened for race prep)

Goal 3 - Other Training
Climbing once per week
Strength training once per week
Zone 3 training once per week (races will count during race weeks)

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

I'm trying to figure out how to track the balance goal. It sounds simple, add up all things on both sides and compare, but actually documenting that seems a bit challenging. Here is my start of a format. I'll keep a running tally each week to be updated each time I post an update.

Week 1 Balance to Present: 0:20 to 1:42.

Week 1 Day 1: Strength

After a week off, I resumed by strength training. I've worked up to 35 to 40 seconds of L-Sit on the rings and now kind of dread that part of the routine. I think I need to go through a few weeks at a lower time to build some strength and stop going to failure. My attempt at improving my pullup form have definitely hurt the number of reps I can do but I think it's targeting back muscles more than arm muscles so that is good.

+20 minutes chores

Week 1 Day 2: Running

Went for a 40 minute run before work. My zone 1 pace has been holding pretty close to 10 minute miles which I'm excited about.

18 hours ago, peelout said:

oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.  I'm first!!!!!!!!!!!

Another well thought out challenge.  Like the balance the time part.  Does time w/ wife fit in anywhere?

Haha, I was actually very excited to be the first Scout to post a challenge. As I was making final edits I kept thinking, "oooh, better hurry or someone else will post first!"

Time with my wife is built in to a few things, especially house projects and climbing. That being said, some quality "date-style" time isn't something I have built in here...

• Like 1

tinkerer

Week 1 Balance to Present: 1:39 - 1:42

Added 1:19 to the non-fitness side of the equation last night. My wife and I prepped our bedroom for sanding/painting/etc. by moving everything into other places in the house.

21 hours ago, Talvi said:

Well done on this challenge Tink!   You have really been doing a lot here and I'm constantly impressed that you manage to keep up with all of it.   In fact, I'm curious to know where you feel you have improved the most in this challenge and since January?  In speed, stamina, technique or maybe even fitness philosophy? :P

I'm not sure how to really prepare last minute for races either.   From what I've gathered: you want to have a couple of rest days before the race for peak performance, to eat a high carb meal the day before and not to do anything too abnormal on Saturday or Sunday.   On that last run, you talked about the external factors that probably helped you to improve your speed - keep those in mind for your race :)

Ha! I stole this quote from my last challenge but I'm replying here so as to avoid jumping back and forth.

The biggest thing I've noticed in terms of improvement has been my climbing ability. I'm now able to pretty consistently climb 5.11a and 11b routes either onsite or after a few tries. I think this is tied directly to improved core strength. I hope that my stamina has improved, as that has been my overarching goal, but I really don't have a good metric for that. Anytime I've tested speed (measured via 5K time) I have been disappointed to find no real improvement. I guess another area of improvement is that my body measurements have increased - calf, chest, forearm, thigh. I think that I'm leaner than I was a few month ago but don't have a good metric for that either.

Darn it, that means as race prep I need to get a good night's sleep, avoid drinking very much beer, and eat well. That sounds like a terrible Saturday night. ;) 

14 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Overachiever. :P

But I've never been first at anything on NF before! :)

tinkerer

23 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Then again, as Talvi said, you don't want to do anything too abnormal. ;) 

This is an excellent point as well...

11 hours ago, SaltyDragon said:

The idea to track time spent training vs home activities I think is a good one. Seem like you could learn a lot about priorities. I'll be interested to see how that develops for you!

You and me both. So far, I'm finding it more motivating to accomplish more "project" work around the house.

2 hours ago, Asa Pond said:

Following!

What equipment do you use to track your zones during training? 

Hooray and welcome! I have a Suunto HR monitor and watch that I got for a birthday/Christmas present last winter. I track it all on this spreadsheet too.

tinkerer

1 hour ago, tinkerer said:

I track it all on this spreadsheet too.

We now add spreadsheets in the clouds to the HR monitors, step counters,elevation trackers, IPOD's w/ inspiring music, pre/during/post w/o drinks, and fitness app's required to exercise.

I just started my spreadsheet today.  You have to get your spreadsheet in your signature or it doesn't count.

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Are you a member of the Spokane Washington Mountaineers Club?

Did you know when you put your spreadsheet in Google sheets it lists your name? (Somehow the name listed with my spreadsheet is "me".  Not sure if that is important to you.  

Current Challenge 

3 hours ago, tinkerer said:

Hooray and welcome! I have a Suunto HR monitor and watch that I got for a birthday/Christmas present last winter. I track it all on this spreadsheet too.

Thanks! I'm in the market for a new heart rate monitor since I've seemed to have lost mine somewhere in my 300 sq foot apartment. I'll have to check out the Suunto. 

Fallaces sunt rerum species et hominum spes fallunt.

Week 0 Day 4: Running and ClimbingCore

Went for a run before work with my coworker. It's almost bring enough that we could go for a trail run. He happens to also be running the race on Sunday so it will be fun to have company.

After work nobody wanted to go climbing so I did a core workout instead. My wife and I also went for a short walk together, which was nice.

Projects to Fitness 1:39 to 2:45

6 hours ago, peelout said:

We now add spreadsheets in the clouds to the HR monitors, step counters,elevation trackers, IPOD's w/ inspiring music, pre/during/post w/o drinks, and fitness app's required to exercise.

I just started my spreadsheet today.  You have to get your spreadsheet in your signature or it doesn't count.

The spreadsheet keeps me interested and I use it far more than I expected. I've dropped a lot of experimental fitness gizmos along the way but I like this one! :) I used to make them challenge specific and fancy but I've found more of a no-frills approach works better for long term maintenance. I'll think about the signature. It's a lot of clicks in the new system to get to the edit screen...

5 hours ago, peelout said:

Did you know when you put your spreadsheet in Google sheets it lists your name? (Somehow the name listed with my spreadsheet is "me".  Not sure if that is important to you.  

Huh...I did not know that. I tinkered around with it some and figured out why it puts my name on there. I'll have to think about how important that is to me. At least, I think you're referring to the initial logo that, when hovered over, lists my name.

4 hours ago, Asa Pond said:

Thanks! I'm in the market for a new heart rate monitor since I've seemed to have lost mine somewhere in my 300 sq foot apartment. I'll have to check out the Suunto. 

Make sure to read the reviews! I'm pretty happy with the HR monitor itself and the watch. I'm unhappy with the app and upload service from Suuntu. I presume that will improve over the next year or so but it should already be high quality given the price of the hardware.

tinkerer

6 hours ago, tinkerer said:

Huh...I did not know that. I tinkered around with it some and figured out why it puts my name on there. I'll have to think about how important that is to me. At least, I think you're referring to the initial logo that, when hovered over, lists my name.

Not sure where you were referring to when you said "hovered over".  Now that I have opened your spreadsheet, whenever I go to the "folder" in google sheets, I see your spreadsheet.  It is there that I saw you name.  Try opening my spreadsheet from down in my title, the close google sheets and come back in and click on the folder thing that allows you to select your spreadsheet.  If yours works like mine, both your spreadsheet and mine will be there.  My name is listed as "me".  Not sure why, but I always lie when google asks me for information like my name, bday, etc.

Current Challenge 

8 hours ago, peelout said:

If yours works like mine, both your spreadsheet and mine will be there.  My name is listed as "me".  Not sure why, but I always lie when google asks me for information like my name, bday, etc.

It did indeed work that way. It lists the "owner" of the sheet on that list. What I did this morning is create a new google account (send me an email at climbertinkerer at gmail dot com :)) and transfer ownership of the sheet. Now my list of sheet's reflects that change. I don't really think I care but if I ever run for President I don't want someone making fun of my fitness trials and tribulations.

Thanks for the feedback on all of this.

tinkerer

55 minutes ago, tinkerer said:

I don't really think I care but if I ever run for President I don't want someone making fun of my fitness trials and tribulations.

Please run this year.  I need someone to vote for and would rather vote for someone I only know from over the internet than my current choices.

• Like 3

Current Challenge 

Week 0 Day 5: Rest

This week is turning out to be a kind of restful week workouts wise. The weather was absolutely beautiful so I took a couple hours off work in the afternoon. I bought a pickup-load of compost and shoveled/raked it into our lawn. My wife hates juniper bushes (I do too) so I pulled four of them out of the ground by our house too. I'm counting 4 hours of project time.

A fun adventure was stopping on the way home from getting compost (with a pickup full of it) in downtown and going into the running store in my project clothes to pick up my packet for the race tomorrow.

Today (Saturday) will also be an official rest day with some house projects.

Projects to Fitness 5:39 to 2:45

tinkerer

On 4/1/2016 at 9:12 PM, tinkerer said:

I'm pretty happy with the HR monitor itself and the watch. I'm unhappy with the app and upload service from Suuntu. I presume that will improve over the next year or so but it should already be high quality given the price of the hardware.

This is good to know. I have the Ambit3, which I like, and will probably think harder about adding the heartrate monitor. Like you, too, I don't care for their app or website much. I just export the run data from the website, then import it into Runkeeper, which I've been using a lot longer.

-----

Good luck on your race tomorrow!

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

Race #1 Report!

Today's race went great and I'm really excited to share the results! Feel free to skip if you don't want to read all of this.

I think I did a lot of things right for this race. To begin with, I've been training all winter so I felt like I was prepared to give a good effort. I also (somewhat) rested for the week prior to the race. I ate rice with chicken and vegetables the night before (at our friends house) and also a bunch of chips and pretzels. The chips and pretzels I would say are not great food usually but from what I understand carbs before a race are a good thing. This morning, I had a small bowl of cereal and some coffee and water before the race, which started at ten.

OK, side tangent on pacing. I have never run a 10K race before and didn't know how I'd do at holding to a pace. Originally, my goal was to run the race at a 9:40 / mile pace to qualify for starting my 12k race toward the front. However, I also wanted to challenge myself and realized that I could do better than that pace. I kept reviewing my previous runs and selecting a quicker target (all of this began a few weeks ago). First 9 minute miles (to "see how that felt") then 8:45 miles, and then last night after some internet research 8 minute miles. I found advice which suggested adding 1-2 minutes to a doubled 5K time. A few weeks ago I ran a 5K in 24 minutes so I thought 50 minutes total (8 minute miles) was a good target. The recommended procedure for a 10K is to run 2 miles at 10 seconds slower than target pace, 3.25 miles at target pace, and the last mile and "get there and finish this thing" pace...

At 10:00 the race began and i took off with the pack. I had positioned myself toward the front and running easily I was passing people - a sign I'm going to quick normally. I glanced at my watch which said I was at a 7:30 pace. I felt really good but slowed up anyway. At a 7:50 pace I was not breathing hard and figured I could keep that up for two miles to see what happened. At the two mile mark, I kicked it up a gear and trying to hold a 7:40 pace. I did that (even up hills) and started to pass people. Nearing the 5 mile mark I really wanted to go for the finish but I waited until 5.25 (1 mile to go). At that I point I reckoned I had enough energy to go for a "sub 7" last mile and made that my target. I also tried to "reel in" the runners in front of me as added motivation (with some success too).

I crossed the line at 46:39 for a 7:30 min / mile average pace! Well under my target and something I feel pretty good about!

Splits:

Mile 1: 7:50

Mile 2: 7:50

Mile 3: 7:38

Mile 4: 7:24

Mile 5: 7:31

Mile 6: 6:51

Mile 6:25 6:36 pace

TL:DR - Race went well. 10 K in 46:39.

• Like 5

tinkerer

Week Zero Summary

A pretty good week. Dialing back the zone one training in anticipation of the race was a good idea race-wise but resulted it what felt like a second rest week in a row. I need to make sure next week that I don't slide into a permanent rest mode. I did capitalize on all of the resting to get a headstart on project time. On the last two days, I accumulated 8 hours. I've decided not to count cooking (since I'd do that anyway) but to count errands for house projects.

Goal 1 - Run in Balance

13:39 Project Hours to 3:32 Fitness Hours

So far so good. I'll be have more competition for my time in future weeks so a headstart here is a good thing.

Goal 2 - Zone 1 Training
Week 0: 80 minutes (shortened for race prep) OK, 71 minutes (going on a 9 minute run doesn't make sense and I got plenty of undocumented exercise shoveling compost)
Week 1: 300 minutes
Week 2: 300 minutes (Travel week)
Week 3: 360 minutes
Week 4: 80 minutes (shortened for race prep)

Goal 3 - Other Training
Climbing once per week Week 0: Subbed Core Training
Strength training once per week Week 0: Done
Zone 3 training once per week (races will count during race weeks) Week 0: Race (Done!)

tinkerer

Week 1 Day 1: Running

Despite being pretty tired from the race yesterday, I have a lot of running to do this week. I went for a 30 minute recovery run this morning before work.

2.63 miles at 11:43 / mile pace. Also got in a few chores after work (not much).

13:54 Project Hours to 4:02 Fitness Hours

On 4/4/2016 at 9:04 PM, Mad Hatter said:

That's a really great time, congrats! :D

17 hours ago, Polgara19 said:

That's an amazing time! Congratulations!

Thanks! I was/am pretty excited about it. However, I barely beat a 14 year old girl so I guess I'm not all that cool. :)

On 4/4/2016 at 9:38 PM, SaltyDragon said:

Wow, outstanding race results! That's really awesome!

Good work, too on the homefront. Now, back to the rest of your goals!

Ok ok, I'll get back to work!

17 hours ago, peelout said:

Wow, you totally blew away your goal.  You never cease to inspire.

I need to improve my pace estimating skills!

tinkerer