• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sloth the Enduring

Sloth goes far beyond the world I've known

25 minutes ago, Big_Show said:

Or pints. It is so distressing to ask for a pint of beer and receive one much smaller than a *proper* pint...

That factor was an absolute delight when I was in the UK back in September.  Ordering a pint in Scotland was an eyeopening experience, and a damned fine one at that!

Of course, it helped that it was a pint of my favorite beer in the whole world, served on tap where such isn't available back home, and was followed up by another pint of my second favorite beer.  ;)

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Sloth the Slow and Steady said:

Minnesota is surprisingly casual when it comes to dress.  You can't go to a play, the orchestra, or a fancy dinner without being seated next to a couple in jeans and a sweatshirt with an appliqué on it.

I'd put Florida under this umbrella... that is the exact outfit my dad and stepmom wore to my sister's wedding rehearsal dinner.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Sloth the Slow and Steady said:

Minnesota is surprisingly casual when it comes to dress.  You can't go to a play, the orchestra, or a fancy dinner without being seated next to a couple in jeans and a sweatshirt with an appliqué on it.

You just described my mother, rest her soul.

• Like 4

On April 5, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one converting on the fly here!  We here in Canada are stuck in limbo between the US and UK, so I'm perpetually converting between metric and imperial damn near all the time, especially whenever folks mention temperature or weights on the boards.

I wish we had a metric day back in the 70's like Canada did.  It would be nice to only need one set of tools and as a physical science teacher I'd love to have one set of measuring tools that my students understood instead of two that they merely recognize.

On April 5, 2016 at 6:15 PM, maegs said:

I go more with the vague-conversion method.. like, 100*F is stinkin hot, 32*F is not, -40* is the same, 100kg is about 220lb (for some reason 2.2lb:1kg sticks in my head, but I suck at temperature conversions)

Yep, I do a lot of that too.

20 hours ago, Big_Show said:

I can just about handle the temperature thing these days, but it still confuses the crap out of me when some US units have the same name but are different size to Imperial, like their gallons.

Or pints. It is so distressing to ask for a pint of beer and receive one much smaller than a *proper* pint...

Your pints are bigger? That'd be nice.

20 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

That factor was an absolute delight when I was in the UK back in September.  Ordering a pint in Scotland was an eyeopening experience, and a damned fine one at that!

Of course, it helped that it was a pint of my favorite beer in the whole world, served on tap where such isn't available back home, and was followed up by another pint of my second favorite beer.  ;)

You're going to leave us hanging like that!  What are your favorite beers?  I really like Scotch ale, but it's almost impossible to find here.

scotch-ale-1-e1361551917130.jpg

11 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

I'd put Florida under this umbrella... that is the exact outfit my dad and stepmom wore to my sister's wedding rehearsal dinner.

I'd blame all of the Minnesotan snow birds.

6 hours ago, EricMN said:

Hah.  I described the mother of practically everyone I know.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Sloth the Slow and Steady said:
3 hours ago, EricMN said:

Hah.  I described the mother of practically everyone I know.

The jeans and sweatshirt is SO my dad. My mom was the one that would take 2.5 hours to get ready to go grocery shopping, lol.

14 minutes ago, Sloth the Slow and Steady said:

You're going to leave us hanging like that!  What are your favorite beers?  I really like Scotch ale, but it's almost impossible to find here.

This ^^. We need this Rurik! How else do we inch closer to being as cool as you??

How's sloth belly treating you sir? I'm sorry I haven't been around to be as accountable as I want, but I'm still here fighting the sugary crap with ya brother!

getfuzzyflames.jpg

Wolf

• Like 9

4/4/16 & 4/5/16 Monday & Tuesday

Post-spring break.  It happens every year, I get off my sleep schedule.  Allergy season also happens every year right after spring break and Mrs. Sloth snores like a freight train.  I haven't done much physical these last couple of days.  Eating has been good - I haven't eaten anything off of the verboten list, but I've been eating like I'm bulking.  That happens when I'm sleep deprived.  I'm experimenting with coffee again, results are inconclusive thus far.

My supervisor observed my after-school class and wrote a superb review.  Our standards don't match; I'd fire me.

I didn't work out this morning either, but if I can stay awake after I get the kids to bed I'll do some Shovelglove.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Sloth the Slow and Steady said:

I wish we had a metric day back in the 70's like Canada did.  It would be nice to only need one set of tools and as a physical science teacher I'd love to have one set of measuring tools that my students understood instead of two that they merely recognize.

See, we're metric, but only sorta. I, for one, use feet, inches, and pounds, litres, kilometers per hour and Celsius, and measure distances in the time they take to travel (it's not 270km, it's 3 hours)

system, what system?

• Like 5

I'll admit I cheated and skipped some of the earlier posts...sorry if this has already been posted, but I love it and wanted to share. Pretty much clears it all up for me.

aqmbo9L_700b.jpg

• Like 14

The casual dress/snowbird theory would explain a lot of what I see here in Arizona:

November:

jandalswinter.jpg

They don't usually stay past April, though.

July:

frodo-ring-hot.jpg

Of course, there are ways to beat the heat, and you never have to shovel snow!

img_Page_09_Image_0002.jpg

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Sloth the Slow and Steady said:

Enjoyed a pint of Innis & Gunn Original (#1) and their White Oak Wheat Beer (#2)...

innis+and+gunn+original.jpg

Innis-Gunn-05.png

All of their ales and lagers are barrel-aged using different sorts of post-production barrels for their lineup, ranging from whiskey barrels to sherry casks; all manner of varying wood types have yielded different flavors.  They had once made a limited edition Canadian Cherrywood Finish that was absolutely to die for; but alas, it was a limited run and seasonal.  We shall never knows its like again!

Here;  The Beer Kitchen, Edinburgh, Scotland

nicely-renovated.jpg

6 hours ago, Sloth the Slow and Steady said:

My supervisor observed my after-school class and wrote a superb review.  Our standards don't match; I'd fire me.

Great to hear you survived the supervisory sit-in, and with an exceptional review!  I'm with you on disagreeing with the occasional manager... I would fire me too.  :P

4 hours ago, maegs said:

...system, what system?

So much of this!  Welcome to Canada, eh?

• Like 5

On April 6, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Wild Wolf said:

How's sloth belly treating you sir? I'm sorry I haven't been around to be as accountable as I want, but I'm still here fighting the sugary crap with ya brother!

getfuzzyflames.jpg

Wolf

That's funny.  I remember when I first read that one, it was back when we read comics in this this we called "the paper".  

Right now it smells like something crawled up there and died - yesterday I had a bunch of fake sugar 'cause I wasn't paying attention.  Otherwise it's been really good, removing the crap from my diet did the trick.

On April 6, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Yasha92 said:

*plops down in a corner* following~ what's a PowWow? I'm imagining Batman's attack noises...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A pow wow is a Native American celebration (I'm Native on my mother's side), mostly dancing.  I haven't danced since I was a kid, I go for the fry bread.

Fry bread is white bread dough that's been flattened out and fried.  There is nothing healthy about, but I love it almost as much as Pop Tarts.

imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fbooniechef.f

On April 6, 2016 at 5:31 PM, skinNbones said:

This is why everyone should be on metric emoji12.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter

"On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place."

I use that example when I teach my measurement unit.  Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't just use standard measurements so that they can at least understand the system they'll use in real life.

On April 6, 2016 at 5:34 PM, cn3wton said:

Hey man, trying to come back for real this time.

Like the uh... simplicity of your goals?

lol

Thanks.  SMART goals and PVPs trip me up.

On April 7, 2016 at 7:08 PM, maegs said:

See, we're metric, but only sorta. I, for one, use feet, inches, and pounds, litres, kilometers per hour and Celsius, and measure distances in the time they take to travel (it's not 270km, it's 3 hours)

system, what system?

I thought y'all had a metric day and got rid of all of that.

On April 7, 2016 at 8:46 PM, Xena said:

I'll admit I cheated and skipped some of the earlier posts...sorry if this has already been posted, but I love it and wanted to share. Pretty much clears it all up for me.

aqmbo9L_700b.jpg

:)

On April 7, 2016 at 11:30 PM, ShadowLion said:

The casual dress/snowbird theory would explain a lot of what I see here in Arizona:

November:

jandalswinter.jpg

They don't usually stay past April, though.

July:

frodo-ring-hot.jpg

Of course, there are ways to beat the heat, and you never have to shovel snow!

img_Page_09_Image_0002.jpg

Nice, most of the elderly people I know are snow birds and come back for Easter and spend the next month complaining about how cold it is.  It's my understanding that they stay in their gated communities and try not to mingle with the locals.

On April 7, 2016 at 11:55 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

Enjoyed a pint of Innis & Gunn Original (#1) and their White Oak Wheat Beer (#2)...

innis+and+gunn+original.jpg

Innis-Gunn-05.png

All of their ales and lagers are barrel-aged using different sorts of post-production barrels for their lineup, ranging from whiskey barrels to sherry casks; all manner of varying wood types have yielded different flavors.  They had once made a limited edition Canadian Cherrywood Finish that was absolutely to die for; but alas, it was a limited run and seasonal.  We shall never knows its like again!

Here;  The Beer Kitchen, Edinburgh, Scotland

nicely-renovated.jpg

Great to hear you survived the supervisory sit-in, and with an exceptional review!  I'm with you on disagreeing with the occasional manager... I would fire me too.  :P

So much of this!  Welcome to Canada, eh?

Nice.  I looked for that last night, but the shop I went didn't have it.  I came home with a local cider instead.

15 hours ago, Bearlee said:

Funny how the universe works. Was watching an episode of Robot Chicken called Veggies for Sloth and they had this clip for Buck Rogers.

NSFW

I thought you were dead.  I can't see this, I'll have to check it out at home.

• Like 6

4/8/16 Thursday & Friday

It's snowing right now.  The "cool" Latino boys have decided that they are done with pants for the year and have started to come to school in shorts. 

Riding: nope, having had a taste of riding outside it is really hard to get back on the trainer.  I just got the "Red Dwarf" (original series) dvd, that just might tempt me back on.

Other stuff: Shovelglove at 16#.

Eating: no bad things except for accidental fake sugar, still eating big.

• Like 12

45 minutes ago, Sloth the Slow and Steady said:

I just got the "Red Dwarf" (original series) dvd, that just might tempt me back on.

rskwfBg.gif

I love Red Dwarf! Until Kochansky comes back into it, that is. Eff her. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sloth the Slow and Steady said:

Nice.  I looked for that last night, but the shop I went didn't have it.  I came home with a local cider instead.

From what I've heard on their unofficial Facebook fans page, Innis & Gunn stock is very hit or miss in the US.  They seem to primarily ship to the UK, Sweden, and Canada, with occasional crates popping up in the US at seemingly random intervals.

Don't worry though... I can introduce you two after GoRuck.  ;)

1 hour ago, Sloth the Slow and Steady said:

It's snowing right now.  The "cool" Latino boys have decided that they are done with pants for the year and have started to come to school in shorts. 

Pfft, amateurs.  I've been in shorts mode since December. 

• Like 1

RED DWAARFFF !! (Yeah fake Kochanski was a shame )

We've got all the red dwarfs even the new series for Dave. I think there might be another new series on the cards too ... (goes away to check )

"On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place."

• Like 1

It's a lovely day here and I'm inspired to fight the killer spiderweb and the stairs and walk my bike to the petrol station to pump the tyres so I can go for a ride. I haven't ridden in a year+, wish my calves luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought y'all had a metric day and got rid of all of that.

Well, officially yes. But in reality everyone who was used to imperial just kept using imperial in their day to day life for most things, but then in school they try to teach us metric, but since we're used to our parents using imperial it doesn't really work. Except that the rulers we had in school had inches and centimetres, so I can convert feet/cm pretty well on the fly (1 foot = 30 cm)

It did lead to fun things like the Gimli Glider

(not this:)

rcngWs.gif

• Like 2

I just googled shovelglove and saw quite a variety of pictures of people doing different things.

What do you do with the sledge?  Hit tires?

Do you wrap the head in a towel (saw some pictures of that)?