Peelout gets stronger, faster, smarter

peelout

My first 3 challenges this year were all about prepping for kayak season:  lose some wt (dropped from 178 to 168), develop core, general strength conditioning and flexibility through daily exercise (everyday except 1 since Dec 28, 2015).  I also wanted to quit smoking (quit Mar 11) and improve my career work performance (developed and used a daily planning spreadsheet every workday since Jan 22).  My first major kayak trip this year will be around the 3rd week of April, and I feel I am physically well prepared for it.

So far, my battle log has dealt with how I am changing my life through habit formation (Duhiggs process).  I've already created and kept the major habit changes I wanted to develop at this point.  I've now added a new section which focuses on achieving a "bucket list" of desires/goals I want to achieve.  The quests below align w/ the 4 desires I am currently focusing on.

Stronger - Get Lean and Mean

Quest 1 - The Lean Part: cut the crap.

I have a target date of May 30 to reduce my wt from its current 168lb to less than 165.0 (must hit in the 163's 3 days in a row).  I've already created the habits of eating a salad 6 days/wk and protein shake 7 days/wk.  For this quest, I have 3 objectives:
(Vacation days are exempt for all of these)

1.  No crap (cookies, candies, cakes, ice cream, etc) after 8pm 6 days/wk (w/ the exception of 2 jelly beans)

2.  Eat crap a maximum of 2 times at work during the entire time period of this challenge.

3.  Max of 1 small bite size candy per day from the candy bowls at home.

Things to track - daily crap intake

Quest 2 - The Mean Part: lots of pushing and pulling.

I have 2 strength targets by June 30: 10 perfect form bench presses w/ 135lbs and 4 perfect form pullups.  I'm currently at 5 perfect form + 3 sloppy 135lb bench presses and 2 sloppy pullups.  For this quest, I have 2 objectives:

1.  Brutal chest/tricep focus w/o's w/ a goal of completing 7 perfect form bench presses w/ 135lbs

2.  Brutal back/bicep focus w/o's w a goal of completing 2 perfect form pullups in a row.

Things to track - w/o intensities

Faster - Breath Easy

Quest 3 - Continue NOS.

To reach my full potential at the fasted pace, I have to be able to be able to breath easily.  NOS stands for "No Smoking" and my quit date was Mar 11, 2016 (using Wellbutrin to assist).  Continuing NOS is my overriding priority right now.  Even though its been 16 days since I quit, I need to continue daily focus on this or a trigger could easily derail all my efforts.

Things to track - Days of NOS

Smarter - Be an even more nerdy engineer

Quest 4 - Build a Dynasty

Dynasty is a modeling program used where I work to simulate hydraulic systems.  I've wanted to learn this for many years to further my technical growth, but I've never done so.  I have set a target date of Oct 30, 2016 to be able to create a basic Dynasty model and simulation.  For this challenge, I have 2 objectives:

1.  Sign up for Dynasty modeling classes at work.

2.  Spend a minimum of 8 hours this challenge learning the basics.

Things to track - Hours spent on program and my progress

• Like 4

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

1st official day of the new challenge for me.  Checked wt this morning.  It was 170.2.  4lb wt gain since NOS, but I'm not upset w/ the gain considering the trade off has been 18 days of NOS.  Todays objectives:

1)  NOS

2)  Tighten the eating

3)  Brutal core w/o day

4)  Get a shit load of work done on my report at work.  I really don't want to write this dang thing.

Been having very strong smoking urges the past week.  Interestingly, they are stronger in the past week (days 13-18) than during days 5-10.  I think 3 things are happening.

1)  The "high" you get whenever you start something new is wearing off.

2)  "Death by a thousand cuts" is becoming a factor.  The "immediate gratification" center of the brain keeps telling me trying to convince me to have "just 1 more" over and over and that wears you down.

3)  Closely related to #2 is the feeling that "look how far I've made it".  The "immediate gratification center of the brain then says "you deserve a reward".

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

15 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

Looking like a pretty strong Challenge! Going to follow along for total motivation factors!

Hopefully my puny efforts at going brutal on the strength training will yield results (compared to you).

18 minutes ago, AthenaMM said:

Your challenge looks awesome! Hang in there with NOS. The need for instant gratification is hard to fight, but you'll be much happier down the road if you don't give in.

Thanks. I keep telling myself that.  Over and over and over.:beguiled:

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

Quest 1 - The Lean Part: cut the crap.

1.  No crap (cookies, candies, cakes, ice cream, etc) after 8pm 6 days/wk (w/ the exception of 2 jelly beans) Done

2.  Eat crap a maximum of 2 times at work during the entire time period of this challenge.  0 so far.

3.  Max of 1 small bite size candy per day from the candy bowls at home. 0 today.

Wt 170.2.  All requirements met. 1/1

Quest 2 - The Mean Part: lots of pushing and pulling. 

1.  8 perfect form bench presses w/ 135lbs (5 perfect + 3 sloppy at start of challenge) Currently at 5 perfect form

2.  2 perfect form pullups in a row (2 sloppy pullups at start of challenge)  Currently at 0 perfect form

Tonight was core focus night.  However, I did add a cumulative total of 15 pull/chin ups of various lowering positions and hand positions to my core w/o.

Faster - Breath Easy

Quest 3 - Continue NOS. (Day 18 at start of challenge)

Day 18 of NOS.  And it was a struggle at some points of the day.

Quest 4 - Build a Dynasty (8hrs of dynasty modeling practice during this challenge)

Signed up for Dynasty modeling class. No practice.

Notes:

Today there were a lot of very strong urges to smoke.  It's almost like a part of my mind still has hope that I haven't really quit.  Very annoying to keep having urges and running scenarios through my mind as to why it would be alright to have just one more. 

Although tonight was core focus w/o routine, I decided to start adding a bunch of pull ups and chin ups to the routine just to help w/ my pullup goal. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

5 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

The tone of your writing makes it sound like although the urges are still there, they're maybe a little less compelling to you. If so. I'm super happy for you.

They aren't that strong but just keep wearing on you.  Kind of like a pack of wild dogs attacking a large buffalo.  They just relentlessly continue to harass until the buffalo is worn down and can't fight anymore.

My dumping ground for Mar 30:

It's day 19 of NOS.  Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

170.2 this morning.  

Protein shake, 2 strips bacon

8am - Instant gratification part of my brain has suggested about 10 times that I should go have a cig.  

Sometimes the key to getting started on something is just getting it in front of you.  So I opened the Dynasty program, created a short cut on my workspace.  Not going to work on it now, just wanted to take an inch towards it.

Now to spend some time on my dreaded report.

10:30  Nothing but interuptions today, still haven't gotten to report.  Need to stay at home and work on report.

12:30  OK, the IG center of my brain is suggesting that I have a cig  now just to see if I would want another.  WTF, where does this shit come from.  A part of your brain that comes up with what are logically and obviously absurd arguments for why I should try another.  It's day 19 for god's sake.  I know for a fact that it only take 1 slip to take a smoker all the way back to square 1.  There is no "just one", there is no "maybe I can control it now", there is no "deserve a reward for going so long w/o one".  Time to put my ear buds on and get back to my report.   Thanks for listening to me whine.

• Like 3

Current Challenge 

5 hours ago, peelout said:

They aren't that strong but just keep wearing on you.  Kind of like a pack of wild dogs attacking a large buffalo.  They just relentlessly continue to harass until the buffalo is worn down and can't fight anymore.

That's not always the outcome. Sometimes the buffalo (especially if he has friends) just tramples the dogs one by one.

I'm here to help trample. :)

5 hours ago, peelout said:

Thanks for listening to me whine.

This is what we're here for. If typing things out and refuting them via keyboard helps, by all means type away. I certainly don't see it as whining but rather an outlet for the internal struggle to keep on track.

• Like 1

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Paradigm shift - a change from one way of thinking to another.  

During one of my minds hourly debates about whether I should have a smoke, I got to wondering why I am still having strong urges, even stronger than during the earlier days of my quit.  I recognize a lot of the triggers that create the urge to smoke, but I had those same triggers early in my quit.  I got to thinking that maybe I needed to change my approach/thinking regarding not smoking.  19 days ago when I started NOS (no smoking) it was all about not smoking - the Wellbutrin, the physiological withdraw symptoms such as dizziness, the hour by hour test of my will power, every thought in my mind focused on quitting.

Once I got through the physical withdraw symptoms, I continued focusing on quitting smoking, but I had high motivation because I had just made it through the 3 days of withdraw and saw I really had a chance to quit.  Motivation is always a huge factor in achieving anything and when it is high, your mind focuses on the achievement, not the pain.  Like when you are trying to lose wt and you start a new wt loss program.  At first, its pure will power to get through the days eating less calories.  Then the wt starts dropping, your motivation explodes, and skipping snacks and eating limited portions starts to seem easy.  Then, after a period of success, something happens.  Losing wt has become the new norm for your mind, so the motivation drops because seeing drops on the scale isn’t a big deal anymore, loss of motivation leads to a decrease in will power, you start snacking again and the wt loss stops. 

I think something similar has happened w/ my NOS.  As the days of not smoking increased, not smoking became the new norm, the excitement dropped off, and that lead to a drop in motivation, which is leading to having to fuel my quit with will power, rather than motivation.  I think the amount of will power you have at any given time is similar to the amount of energy your body has.  If you do brutal w/o’s everyday, after a while your energy will drop and you will get burnt out.  As the will power energy drops, the smoking urges seem more and more powerful. 

In order to get my motivation high again, I need to shift my thinking from quitting smoking to gaining something.  That is the Paradigm shift.  I’m changing my thought of NOS from standing for No Smoking to standing for Nitrous Oxide.  NOS is used in racing to radically increase the power output of a car.  And that is now going to be my mindset.  Rather than envisioning myself struggling up a long, steep, rocky road as I have been, I’m changing my visualization to that of a car from the movie Fast and Furious where they press the NOS button and the car races off.  By not smoking, I will gain money, over an hour/day, a large increase in productivity at work due to not interrupting my work to go smoke, and numerous potential health and life expectancy benefits.

I would say those benefits qualify as a sudden increase in power output.  For me, mindset is everything when making changes, and I really think this is going to help reduce the urges to smoke.

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

Quest 1 - The Lean Part: cut the crap. (Max of 1 bite size candy and 2 jelly beans per day.  Crap after 8pm only 1 night/wk. Crap at work max 2 times this challenge.)

Wt 170.2.  Done 1/1

Quest 2 - The Mean Part: lots of pushing and pulling. (Goal: 8 perfect form bench press's w/ 135lb and 2 perfect form pullups)

Current stats

135lb bench: 5 perfect + 3 sloppy.

Pullups: 0 perfect + 2 sloppy

Faster - Breath Easy

Day 19 of NOS.  Cutting back from 2 to 1 Wellbutrin per day.  Nothing gonna stop me, theres nothing that strong.

Quest 4 - Build a Dynasty (8hrs of dynasty modeling practice during this challenge)

Opened the program up on my computer.  No time to work on it, just wanted to make sure it worked on my new work computer.  My supervisor knows I am interested in learning Dynasty.  He contacted a supervisor in another division for me to arrange a visit to observe someone who uses Dynasty on a regular basis.  Going to follow up on that.

Notes:

Today I decided to change my thought process from seeing NOS as "giving up something" to "gaining something".  In my mind, NOS now represents Nitrous Oxide (an engine combustion additive that causes a radical increase in power and acceleration).  With each trigger, I will no longer visualize myself climbing a steep rocky trail, but injecting NOS in my system causing a radical improvement in my life.

Todays w/o was chest/tricep focus w/ 1 back exercise.  Other peoples suggestions/recommendations are always welcome.

5min treadmill

Cable pulldown 

1x5x75
1x5x90

1x5x105

1x5x120
1x5x135

BB bench (not including 45lb bar)

1x5x50

3x5x85

1x8x90 (1st 5 perfect form, slight delay at full raise position on reps 6-8.  I don't count as perfect form if I have any delay.  Plus 6-8 were a little quicker during lower than 1-5)

1x2x100

1x1x110

1x1x120

Incline dumbell flyes  (I keep the reps high on these in order to keep the wt low so I don't hurt my shoulders)

1x10x20

1x10x25

1x10x30

Machine shoulder press

2x10x90

Incline machine bench press

I never used this machine before.  Anxious to see if it makes me sore tomorrow

1x10x50

1x10x70

1x10x90

Overhead tricep cable extension

Messed around w/ wts trying this.  Not sure what exercise I want to use for my tricep focus

15 stretches

My current workout routine

Spoiler

At the gym every evening, take a day off about once every 8 days.

3 different routines alternated

Bench/tricep focus + 1 back exercise

Core focus + chin/pull ups + grip machine

Back/bicep focus + 1 chest exercise

Core focus + chin/pull ups + grip machine

Repeat

• Like 3

Current Challenge 

3 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

Triceps, skull crushers? Did these yesterday and definitely feel it in my triceps today. I do the dumbbell ones seen in the link. Not at that weight though, as always you could lower the weight and up the reps!

I used to do these a long time ago but never w/ dumbbells, only the EZ curl bar.  I'll have to try them w/ dumbbells. I hate tricep focus exercises.  When I burn out on an exercise like the bench, it's just a feeling of not being able to do anymore cause the muscle is just to fatigued and absolutely can not complete another push.  Tricep isolation seems different.  The muscle doesn't seem to fully lose its ability to just do one more as much as my mind wants to cry from the intense burning in the tricep and just can't take it anymore even though I could probably squeeze out another couple reps.

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

49 minutes ago, peelout said:

s.  When I burn out on an exercise like the bench, it's just a feeling of not being able to do anymore cause the muscle is just to fatigued and absolutely can not complete another push.  Tricep isolation seems different.  The muscle doesn't seem to fully lose its ability to just do one more as much as my mind wants to cry 

This is likely down to coordination. You can force a single muscle to act far beyond discomfort. It'll be slow and ugly but it'll act. Bench requires that quite a few muscles agree to work together in the right timing and proportions. As they get fatigued to various levels the teamwork just can't happen.

• Like 1

Barbarian of the Battle Logs

Battle Log

55 minutes ago, The Most Loathed said:

This is likely down to coordination. You can force a single muscle to act far beyond discomfort. It'll be slow and ugly but it'll act. Bench requires that quite a few muscles agree to work together in the right timing and proportions. As they get fatigued to various levels the teamwork just can't happen.

As usual, you make good sense.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

Quest 1 - The Lean Part: cut the crap. (Max of 1 bite size candy and 2 jelly beans per day.  Crap after 8pm only 1 night/wk. Crap at work max 2 times this challenge.)

Wt 167.2.  Done 2/2 

Quest 2 - The Mean Part: lots of pushing and pulling. (Goal: 8 perfect form bench press's w/ 135lb and 2 perfect form pullups)

Current stats

Faster - Breath Easy

Day 20 of NOS.  Cutting back from 2 to 1 Wellbutrin per day.  Oh yeah!.

0/8hrs.  Nothing today.

Notes:

Triceps are definitely sore from the tricep work I did yesterday.  Wt dropped to 167.2 from 170.2.  Thats due to my getting back to having an empty stomach in the morning by not eating much after 6pm.

Today was core + flexibility day.

Double Crunch

1x12

Scissor

1x10

Machine twist

1x10

Back bend

1x10x5lb

Incline situp

1x10

Plank

60s

Elevated leg lift

1x10

Pullups

1x5

1x3

1x2

Grips

30x80

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

Looks like you've been having good workouts! I like the way you really examine exactly what your brain is telling you during your urges. I don't think I really pay attention to WHAT my brain is saying, I just know that I'm craving chocolate (or whatever). I think I'm going to try paying closer attention. Maybe if I recognize exactly what it's saying it will be easier to counteract.

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

1 hour ago, AthenaMM said:

Looks like you've been having good workouts! I like the way you really examine exactly what your brain is telling you during your urges. I don't think I really pay attention to WHAT my brain is saying, I just know that I'm craving chocolate (or whatever). I think I'm going to try paying closer attention. Maybe if I recognize exactly what it's saying it will be easier to counteract.

The sane say they are listening to their brain.  

The insane say they are hearing voices.

Christians say God is speaking to them.

The possessed hear demons.

First determine "who or what" is telling you to eat the chocolate. lol

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

On 3/30/2016 at 2:18 PM, peelout said:

Rather than envisioning myself struggling up a long, steep, rocky road as I have been, I’m changing my visualization to that of a car from the movie Fast and Furious where they press the NOS button and the car races off.  By not smoking, I will gain money, over an hour/day, a large increase in productivity at work due to not interrupting my work to go smoke, and numerous potential health and life expectancy benefits.

I would say those benefits qualify as a sudden increase in power output.  For me, mindset is everything when making changes, and I really think this is going to help reduce the urges to smoke.

I think this is a powerful idea. How has it been working so far?

On 3/31/2016 at 7:14 PM, peelout said:

Not sure what exercise I want to use for my tricep focus

Are you able to do dips? I added these to my routine a few months ago and I believe they have been a good exercise for triceps as well as for my chest. The quick research I just did suggested the more forward lean you use the more it hits the chest vs. the triceps. I am certainly no expert. I like that you can do them with fairly minimal equipment, if desired.

I was also wondering as you are moving toward your pullup goal, do you have a progression in mind? It seems that you might be able to do negatives at this point either instead of or in addition to the cable pull downs.

• Like 1

tinkerer

7 hours ago, tinkerer said:

I think this is a powerful idea. How has it been working so far?

Just started so I'm going to have to give it some time.  Hoping that it helps decrease the potency of the urges.  Anything that distracts the mind is a good thing.  Visualizations work for me.

Are you able to do dips? I added these to my routine a few months ago and I believe they have been a good exercise for triceps as well as for my chest. The quick research I just did suggested the more forward lean you use the more it hits the chest vs. the triceps. I am certainly no expert. I like that you can do them with fairly minimal equipment, if desired.

I haven't tried them in a while, but the last time I did I couldn't do many.  For now, I want to use something I can vary the resistance on.

I was also wondering as you are moving toward your pullup goal, do you have a progression in mind? It seems that you might be able to do negatives at this point either instead of or in addition to the cable pull downs.

I do pullups on core day.  I tried them on back day, but I didn't like doing them on before my wt work, and could barely get 1 done after working out.   I'm going to try to doing a minimum of 10pullups in as many sets as it takes on core day.  On back day, I am going to start adding chinups.  Yesterday was core day and I did:

Pullups

1x5 Was not going to full lower and got worse as the reps increased.

1x3

1x2

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

Today is my 3 wk anniversary of NOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiu3oG5oe3LAhUJZCwKHRppDOMQuAIIIDAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DiFNLbAs3KAU&usg=AFQjCNEqUoOKs48IGHwVh4yrcf4F4hVJUg&sig2=7G2qETD_4F_e37s7CvgcVg&bvm=bv.118443451,d.bGg

Edit:

Why do my video link pastes now turn out as URL's?  Didn't used to do that.  Maybe NF changed a setting cause I post to many gif's?   lol

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

Your pullup plan makes good sense to me!

On videos I see two things with your link: 1) if you click "copy link" from a google search you get all of the google "extras" instead of the youtube address you were attempting to link and 2) you have to delete the "s" from "https" to read "http" on these forums. At least, that's where I'd start. I can't get videos to post half of the time though...

tinkerer

Quest 1 - The Lean Part: cut the crap. (Max of 1 bite size candy and 2 jelly beans per day.  Crap after 8pm only 1 night/wk. Crap at work max 2 times this challenge.)

Wt 168.0.  Done 3/3 

Current stats

Faster - Breath Easy

Day 21 of NOS.  Down to 1 Wellbutrin per day.  3 week anniversary..

0/8hrs.  Nothing today.  Brought computer home.  Hoping to spend some time training this weekend.

Notes:

Triceps are still hurting from Wed w/o.  Overhead cable  extensions must have done a good job of working the triceps.  Think I'll repeat it. Using 10squat placeholder tonight.  Can't remember my last day off, neck was stiff this morning and I'm feeling tired so probably a good idea not to go to the gym.

Celebrating 3 weeks of NOS.  In order to get more Welbutrin, my Dr insists that I have to come in for a check up 30 days after I started the prescription. I'd like to continue the wellbutrin and I could afford the extra appt, but I don't want to pay a Dr appt just so he can ask if I'm suicidal and listen to my heart.  I even question whether the Wellbutrin did anything or if it helped only because I believed it would help.  Decided not to continue the prescription.

• Like 3

Current Challenge