Peelout gets stronger, faster, smarter

peelout

Oooooh that Linda Evans.  I do remember her well.

Day 32 of NOS.  While using some freetime at work to practice Dynasty, the thought of having a cigarette after work kept popping into my mind.  I kept reminding myself that I wouldn't mind having that one, its the 16/day I'd smoke and over $2000/yr for the next few years until I mustered the will to try again that I would mind. With smoking, 1=All.

Since I've been feeling a bit burnt out, I made some changes to my routines.  Cut back some on the reps or wt on some of the "extras" I do.  

Got several hours of Dynasty practice in today.  Probably at 3 of 8 hrs now.

The smoking urges are weakening, for the most part, now its changing to sort of a lonely feeling.  Its a strange thing to say, but when you give up smoking, you've given up a big part of your lifestyle.  It's a positive thing to be sure, but its still a part of your life that is no long there, and a huge change to your entire daily routine.  Learning to live life w/o that part of me is probably the next part of the NOS journey.

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Good job not listening to your brain, which sounds crazy now that I actually type it. [emoji13] I've never really thought about all the things that quitting smoking can affect. You're giving me a much clearer picture of what hubby went through and I feel like I should get him a medal or something! You are doing really well remembering what you're gaining from this and I think that's the key to success here.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

Day 33 of NOS.  Plenty of times I think how nice it would be to have just one.  Then I remember I have to have the other 16/day, everyday, with that one.  Not worth it.

Used placeholder w/o today.

Wt is up to 174.0 and it's time to stop using NOS as an excuse not to control my eating.  I still do the daily salad, but I've been eating extra all day.  Like today, I went to McD's for lunch, then when I got back to work, I got a slice of pizza from the cafeteria.  OK, it was acceptable to use eating to compensate for not smoking for a while, but after 33days, its time to stop whining and get back to losing wt.  I gave someone else a kick in the azz over the same thing today and it applies to me just as much, if not more.  So tomorrow I start logging the food again and shedding some of this fat I've accumulated in the last 33 days.

I'm sort of between tests at work so I had more time to mess w/ Dyansty today. Got about 3 hrs of training in.  6/8.

Got some good news.  I went in an ordered a Subaru Outback this morning.  Since what I wanted was not on the lot (apparently most people don't order Outbacks w/o a lot of expensive options so the dealers don't carry them), mine had to be factor built.  Well, a few hours later, the salesman calls to say the Subaru stopped taking new orders for 2016 Outbacks because they had enough orders to keep the factory busy for the rest of the year.  However, he checked around the state and found one in Chicago w/ my exact specifications except it did not have the splash guards which take 2 screws to put on and I can easily do.  Otherwise same as what I ordered and I can get it this weekend instead of 2-3months away.  I'm pretty tickled. Now I just have to come to terms w/ spending a 1/30th of a million dollars (my way of looking at $32000).  I've never bought a new car before and am having butterflies at the thought of doing this.  I'm pretty tight w/ cash.  I told the guys at work I was ordering the vehicle w/ just an AM radio.  

In other news, I was standing outside in my driveway talking to my daughters boyfriend when a bird shit a big one on my head.  

• Like 4

Current Challenge 

Wt 172.6.  Time to stop using NOS as an excuse to eat more and get back to losing wt.  Enough whining.

Back to logging my food on here and controlling my portions.

Day 34 of NOS.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

That's cool about your new vehicle! I bet once you have it, the butterflies will go away. Of course that's mostly because of the novelty of having something new, but it will be fun. Sorry about the rude bird! I had that happen to me in college about 20 minutes before I was supposed to have a meeting with the dean of my department. I had to run back to the dorm and wash/dry my hair really fast. Being a girl with long hair meant that was NOT easy to accomplish.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Have fun with the new car! I was in the same "I'll never buy a new car" situation until we recently purchased an Impreza. One of the things that convinced me was that a slightly used model really wasn't a substantially cheaper option. Subaru has also made some big advances with engines and efficiency lately that are worth (in my mind) purchasing instead of sticking with the older models. Will yours be the fancy auto-magical transmission or the six-speed?

How is the return of food logging in combination with NOS going today?

Sorry about the bird. That's a pretty crappy story.

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Have fun with the new car! I was in the same "I'll never buy a new car" situation until we recently purchased an Impreza. One of the things that convinced me was that a slightly used model really wasn't a substantially cheaper option. Subaru has also made some big advances with engines and efficiency lately that are worth (in my mind) purchasing instead of sticking with the older models. Will yours be the fancy auto-magical transmission or the six-speed?

How is the return of food logging in combination with NOS going today?

Continuously variable which means really expensive if it ever goes bad.

So far no snacking, Going to attempt to eat only salad for supper.  Going to movie tonight which means popcorn and soda (both small)

Sorry about the bird. That's a pretty crappy story.

Lovin it.

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

Apr 14

Stronger - Get Lean and Mean

Quest 1 - The Lean Part: cut the crap. (Max of 1 bite size candy and 2 jelly beans per day.  Crap after 8pm only 1 night/wk. Crap at work max 2 times this challenge.)    

Wt 172.6  No candy today.  Meals were smaller.

Snacks last night after logging - none

Breakfast - protein shake

Lunch - McD's (yes, I can lose wt and still eat a small meal there)

Dinner - large salad

Snack - 2 sodas, popcorn (movie)

Quest 2 - The Mean Part: lots of pushing and pulling. (Goal: 8 perfect form bench press's w/ 135lb and 2 perfect form pullups)

Current stats

135lb bench: 6 perfect + 4 fair  

Pullups: 0 perfect + 2-4 sloppy

Bench/tricep w/o

Faster - Breath Easy

Quest 3 - Continue NOS. (Day 18 at start of  this challenge)

Day 35 of NOS  

Smarter - Be an even more nerdy engineer

Quest 4 - Build a Dynasty (8hrs of dynasty modeling practice during this challenge)

8/8hrs.    

Notes:

Day 35 of NOS.  No more using NOS as excuse to overeat.  Its time to stop whining and start losing wt.

Got some more Dynasty practice in today.  There is a lot more to this program than I originally new about.  But I kind of enjoy it.  Got sort of a compliment today.  A coworker from England is in the states and stopped by my plant in Illinois.  We talk all the time but hadn't seen each other in 5 years.  He told me I don't look like I've changed any since he last saw me.  I like that.  On the other hand maybe he meant I was just as ugly now as then.  Hmmmmm.

Had a good chest/tricep w/o tonight.  I've cut a few reps from a few of the exercises cause I was feeling burnt out.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

It will be more difficult now that I quit smoking.  It's become quite apparent how effective nicotene is in killing the appetite when eating less is your goal.  I think subconsciously I was actually it to help lose wt.  I mean I didn't consciously think about it, but by going and having a smoke when I got hungry, I would no longer have a strong desire to eat.  I could even skip a meal and not be that hungry as long as I got my nicotene fix. Very effective at suppressing appetite.

Of course, cancer is another effective way to lose wt, so cigarettes provide two pathways to wt loss.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

Apr 15

Quest 1 - The Lean Part: cut the crap. (Max of 1 bite size candy and 2 jelly beans per day.  Crap after 8pm only 1 night/wk. Crap at work max 2 times this challenge.)    

Wt 171.2  No candy today. 

Lunch - McD's

Dinner - Wifes Bday, ate out.  Probably steak, salad, water, potato

Snack - 2 sodas, popcorn (movie again)

Quest 2 - The Mean Part: lots of pushing and pulling. (Goal: 8 perfect form bench press's w/ 135lb and 2 perfect form pullups)

Current stats

Core w/o

Faster - Breath Easy

Day 36 of NOS  

Quest 4 - Build a Dynasty (8hrs of dynasty modeling practice during this challenge)

12/8hrs.    4 more hours

Notes:

Day 36 of NOS.  Several times a day when a strong urge comes, I will think through it, then think of how I would feel afterwards, then think of the 16/day I would be back to if I smoked even 1.  I'm trying to switch to just automatically saying no in my mind and moving on quickly.  Just think no, then move on quickly.Funny, I'm watching Dr Phil and an expert just said there are 22million people w/ addictions in America and the goes up to 60million if you add in cigarettes.

Haven't had much to do at work (big test to run starting early next week though), so I've been spending most of my time learning Dynasty.

Had a solid core w/o tonight. Glad I added forearm supported straight leg lifts.  Very brutal on the abs just the way it should be.

A bowl of candy just a few feet from me is calling my name.  I flipped it the finger.

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

A bowl of candy just a few feet from me is calling my name.  I flipped it the finger.

Haha, i lol'd.

Too bad this doesn't work for NOS purposes...mentally flip Joe Camel the finger and onward with the day...

...or heck, physically give the one finger salute and then move onward... :)

• Like 2

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Haha, i lol'd.

Too bad this doesn't work for NOS purposes...mentally flip Joe Camel the finger and onward with the day...

...or heck, physically give the one finger salute and then move onward... [emoji4]

[emoji13] I actually do flip off the scale when it's gone up or not changed for NO reason.

Battle Log

emoji13.png I actually do flip off the scale when it's gone up or not changed for NO reason.

Sometimes it just feels good.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

Apr 16

Wt 172.6  No candy today. 

Lunch - Salad

Dinner - Unsure.  Won't have time to update later tonight.

Snack - 1 soda

Current stats

Back/bicep

Faster - Breath Easy

Day 37 of NOS  

12/8hrs.    none today

Notes:

Day 37 of NOS.  Just thinking NO as soon as the urge comes seems to be working wll.

Bought the Subaru Outback today.  1st new car ever.  Be still my heart.  I'm pretty tight w/ my money so this is a big step.  Cigarette savings will pay for most of it though. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

Congratulations!

It looks like you've cut down on your snacking. How is that going?

Not that good.  I had  2 days perfect.  But my son is in a small rock band (he's in hs) and hey were playing at a bar last night + my wife had a bday yesterday.  I had cake at the bday party.  Then I  had 5 onion rings and a soda at son't concert, then came home and had a second piece of my wifes bday cake and a scoop of ice cream. For me, that makes 2 days perfect and 1 day failure.  Batting 67% is total failure.  Must improve.

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

Been busy last couple of days.

Daughter had to be checked in to hospital Tuesday evening for high HR and BP.  Might be UTI (infection).  Going to have to wear a portable monitor for a month to get data for Dr.  I think she is being released today.

Depending on what Dr says this morning will determine if I go on my 1st big kayak trip of the season this Friday - Monday (Wolf river in Wisconsin).

I'm loving my new Subaru Outback.  Haven't really liked a vehicle since I had my 73 Mustang (Chick magnet).  I especially like the free Sirius Radio (for 4 months its free).  I've been listening to a station called Patriot.  I'm a social liberal fiscal conservative and just a little to the left of center overall  politcally.  Hope I don't offend anyone, but I find the redneck far right wing radical conservatives that call into the radio shows on this station hilarious.  They are all so sure there is a conspiracy of some sort going on.  Its funny as hell.  On the flip side of that is a couple of far left stations where everybody calls in complaining that the govt isn't doing enough to help them.  Gov't needs to give them jobs, provide free everything, and wipe their azzes.  It's funny too. I also like "Hair Nation" which plays music from groups with long hair, mostly 70's - 90's.

Today is day 41 of NOS.  It seems so unreal to have gotten this far.  Daughter in hospital was stressful and of course that created strong triggers wanting to smoke.  Pretty much every time an exsmoker encounters a situation for the 1st time since they quit, it is a trigger.  Good, bad, stressful, relaxing, boring, enjoyable, it doesn't matter, it is a trigger.  If I go kayaking, this weekend will be filled w/ triggers.  For some reason, doing a healthy activity like ww kayaking and being out in nature, especially when its cool outside, is the time I most want to smoke.  Now thats weird.  But, it will be day 45 of NOS when I get back because 1=all.

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

Went white water kayaking on the Peshtigo and Wolf rivers in Wisconsin Fri - Mon.

Hit head on rock while white water kayaking Sunday.  Got caught on a rock at the top of a steep drop.  Manuevered off the rock but into some pretty turbulent water.  Got flipped over and rock hit my forehead pretty hard.  We wear helmets, but the face and part of forehead are exposed.  Wondered at the time how bad it was and whether I should do a quick wet exit in case I passed out.  Managed to flip myself upright and paddled to the shore.  Fortunately all I had was a bruise, a bump, a stiff neck, and a story to tell.  I'm going to look for a helmet that comes down a little lower on the forehead.  Other than that, I had a good time.  Water levels were lower than I would have liked.  Decided to start growing a goatee during the trip.  Never had one before so we'll see how it goes.  Going for the Breaking Bad image.  I also bought another kayak.  I have a playboat which is designed to be able to turn fast and "carve" in the water.  This is good for surfing in waves, spins, and stuff like that, but it's design allows it to flip over easily.  Big water (fast moving with large waves) requires a longer and wider boat so you aren't getting flipped over all the time.  I bought a used one from the outfitter's shop where we stayed. 

Day 46 of NOS.  The kayak trip was filled w/ triggers.  Every situation that is new (not having occurred since my quit date) is a trigger.  Kayak trips require a great amount of physical exertion, plenty of idle time when not kayaking, cool weather this time of year, and long walks.  These are all triggers.  Lately I've been picturing a man offering free cigarettes calling to me to try just one (like a carnival barker) with a wheel of fortune behind him.  I can have a cigarette, but if I do, the man will spin the wheel.  On the wheel are labels like lung cancer, throat cancer, emphasema, one of those air tanks long time smokers have to drag around that provides oxygen, etc.  I get my cigarette plus whatever the wheel stops on.  "Step right up and try your luck.  Only takes one one more cigarette to win a spot on the wheel of death."

Changes so far this year:

1)  Stopped smoking and "M" (no, that does not stand for meth)  THIS WAS A HUGE BENEFIT

2)  Made exercise a 7 day/wk habit

3)  Eaten salads 6+ days/wk and protein shakes 7 days/wk

4)  Increased bench press strength from about 2-3 reps at 135lb to 10 reps at 135lb (although need improvement on form).  Also 145lb was my 1rm at start of year and have increased that to 175lb.

5)  Made using a planning spreadsheet a daily habit at work and started on my Dynasty training.

Next up:

1)  Wt has gone from 176lb at start to 166lb at the time I quit smoking, and has now risen to 176.0lb.  This has to be brought down to 163lb (empty stomach wt) at which time I will re-evealuate what my ideal wt should be.

2)  Bench press has increased nicely, but pullups haven't progressed much.  I really want to be able to do 4 perfect form pullups and will focus on that.

• Like 3

Current Challenge