Peelout gets stronger, faster, smarter

peelout

Nice job surviving the kayak trip! Glad to hear you only had a bruise. Your NOS number is getting way up there! With all of the cash your saving you probably could have splurged for that FM radio in the new Subaru and still been money ahead. ;)

Your quick summary of the year sure has some impressive feats in it. Do you get a sense of satisfaction writing it out or does it remind you of future goals to come? Or something else? I suppose I shouldn't ask closed-ended questions about your thoughts.

Also, GRRR. NF dropped all my subscribed posts but I found yours.

• Like 1

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

23 hours ago, tinkerer said:

Your quick summary of the year sure has some impressive feats in it. Do you get a sense of satisfaction writing it out or does it remind you of future goals to come? Or something else? I suppose I shouldn't ask closed-ended questions about your thoughts.

NP asking questions.  Keeps me on my toes.  If I'm summarizing past accomplishments, its usually cause I'm feeling a lack of motivation.  I start having thoughts like "is this all worth it" or "I don't seem to be getting anywhere".  Writing out accomplishments helps me get the right perspective back by showing me the effort is paying off.  It also helps me determine if I need to alter my current focus or direction.  Just something about writing things down seems to help.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Challenge Wrap up

Stronger - Get Lean and Mean

Quest 1 - The Lean Part: cut the crap.

I have a target date of May 30 to reduce my wt from its current 168lb to less than 165.0 (must hit in the 163's 3 days in a row).  I've already created the habits of eating a salad 6 days/wk and protein shake 7 days/wk.  For this quest, I have 3 objectives:
(Vacation days are exempt for all of these)

1.  No crap (cookies, candies, cakes, ice cream, etc) after 8pm 6 days/wk (w/ the exception of 2 jelly beans)

2.  Eat crap a maximum of 2 times at work during the entire time period of this challenge.

3.  Max of 1 small bite size candy per day from the candy bowls at home.

Things to track - daily crap intake

This was an F.  My weight is now 174.  NOS has thrown my eating habits for a loop (although I still eat the salad 6 days/wk).

Quest 2 - The Mean Part: lots of pushing and pulling.

I have 2 strength targets by June 30: 10 perfect form bench presses w/ 135lbs and 4 perfect form pullups.  I'm currently at 5 perfect form + 3 sloppy 135lb bench presses and 2 sloppy pullups.  For this quest, I have 2 objectives:

1.  Brutal chest/tricep focus w/o's w/ a goal of completing 7 perfect form bench presses w/ 135lbs

2.  Brutal back/bicep focus w/o's w a goal of completing 2 perfect form pullups in a row.

Things to track - w/o intensities

This was an F (I only have pass/fail grades).  I did increase from 5+3 to 7+3 (perfect form + sloppy form bench press at 135lb), but I did not meet my goal of 10 perfect form.  Probably an unrealistic goal, but I set it and therefore I own it.  Still not at 2 perfect form on the pullups.  I can do 1-2 pretty good form + 1-2 sloppy form.   

Faster - Breath Easy

Quest 3 - Continue NOS.

To reach my full potential at the fasted pace, I have to be able to be able to breath easily.  NOS stands for "No Smoking" and my quit date was Mar 11, 2016 (using Wellbutrin to assist).  Continuing NOS is my overriding priority right now.  Even though its been 16 days since I quit, I need to continue daily focus on this or a trigger could easily derail all my efforts.

Things to track - Days of NOS

This was an A+.  Day 51 of NOS.  This is why I'm not upset w/ my grades above.  NOS is huge, huge, huge for me and I'm getting close to my 2month anniversary date (quit Mar 11).  My thrill level to have gotten this far is off the friggen charts.  I still get the annoying reminder every couple of hours that part of my brain still wants nicotene, but they are short reminders and I respond w/ a quick mental "No" and move on.  A couple of times a day have stronger urges and picture one of those oxygen tanks you see some people dragging along w/ them cause they can no longer breathe properly.  I see the hoses from it going to the air mask covering my mouth and nose.  Visualizaion has been a big part of my quit.  I also feel strangely out of place.  A lot of the time I don't have the drive to get home projects done or work on much of anything at home.  Part of my next challenge will address getting caught up on projects at home.  Its a very strange feeling to have a major part of your life (nicotene addicition) removed.  The mind does not know quite how to handle losing a part of your personality.

Smarter - Be an even more nerdy engineer

Quest 4 - Build a Dynasty

Dynasty is a modeling program used where I work to simulate hydraulic systems.  I've wanted to learn this for many years to further my technical growth, but I've never done so.  I have set a target date of Oct 30, 2016 to be able to create a basic Dynasty model and simulation.  For this challenge, I have 2 objectives:

1.  Sign up for Dynasty modeling classes at work.

2.  Spend a minimum of 8 hours this challenge learning the basics.

Things to track - Hours spent on program and my progress

The was an A.  Finally got started on this and put in way more than 8 hours.  Need to keep going on this.

In Other news:  I also bought my first ever new car (Subaru Outback) and am growing a Breaking Bad style goatee.  I kind of suspect that these are a part of my mind trying to deal with the loss of part of my life associated w/ NOS.

My new persona:

Image result for im not in danger. I am the danger pictures

Image result for breaking bad pictures

• Like 3

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Definitely still a good challenge! Like you said the NOS is huge and will have a major effect on your health. It's also a REALLY tough challenge so it makes sense that some of the other stuff is going to slide a little. As you get further and further into NOS you will have more willpower to spare for your other goals. Way to go, peelout! I'm very impressed with how well your doing with NOS.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

I really like the idea of the new car and goatee, in exactly the way you described them. Kind of reshaping your identity as a former smoker. Building some new positive things.

A new car really isn't the worst thing to spend money on, especially if you have the money (meaning not completely draining your savings account etc). From what I've read, it sounds like you will drive this new car until it becomes an old car, and you will fully get your money out of it.

I'm happy you will be working on your pull-ups. I'll keep slogging through my chin-up progression :-)

I didn't realize I had gotten so far behind on your thread! I guess I got unsubscribed at some point, and I kind of thought I was keeping up with you b/c I was seeing your posts over on Sloth's page. Anyway, so proud of you for making it to day 51!

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016