tumblr_lxw6tlBrHk1qb3amwo1_400.gif

Alright! New term, new challenge, new home! Well, I've still seven weeks before we even get the place, but it's a pretty big deal. I'm going to keep this challenge pretty short this time though.

Exercise:

henry-cavill-pull-ups-o.gif

Grease the Groove: Pull ups and dips have been added to my routine, but they are not proceeding as quickly as I would like. And, on my pull ups, I'm not quite getting to the bar. I feel like I'm getting the full range of motion in my elbow (i.e. I can't flex my arm any more). Maybe I need to widen my grip a bit to allow my back to move more. (Maybe I need to film it?)

Plan? Grease the groove. Pull ups and dips before and after every sword class (which means I need to go twice a week), as well as at the gym (now that I have time for three days a week there too).

• Rest Days: 2 (separated) sets of 
    • Weeks 1, 2: 3
    • Week 3: 4
    • Week 4: 5
  • Gym days:
    • 2 sets of 5 (or exhaustion)
    • 1 set to exhaustion

If I start the challenge this Saturday, that gives me five days a week, for four weeks, so twenty days. Standard school grading on this then. I need to be getting my chest to the bar each time by the end of the challenge!

Diet:

kqujhq0mqaozmmawknuf.gif

Frutta ed Vedura: I did alright last time. But this time, more! I need to get a couple servings of fruit and at least one of vegetables every day. Also strict school grading here! Maybe I should make some carbonated fruit like in this gif.

Life:

tumblr_n1zi5rWB2V1r7b6cio1_500.gif

Rasettare: We're moving and I need to get rid of stuff. So, this is a checklist of things to pitch (or give away):

• Clothes: I've a fair amount I don't wear anymore. Maybe I can get some dough for them too.
  • Comics: Get rid of those extra books that I have lying around. Find some I don't care about and sell them/get store credit. Something!
  • Papers: Clean up desk, get rid of papers that are lying around.
  • Notebooks and Sketchbooks: Pitch old school notebooks. Find something to do with that multitude of sketchbooks I have. 
  • Games, CD's and DVD's: get rid of cases of the ones to keep, and get rid of ones that I don't want. Get storage materials for the GameBoy and DS cartridges (recommendations welcome)
  • Toys: Try to see if I can part with any of the toys we have. (Probably, but also probably not much)

Additionally: add to Delicious Library all the media that I am keeping.

Bonus points: 

Creatività: I was really wanting to create after C2E2! So, I need to draw or write or practice ʻukulele more. Ideas to kick this off would be appreciated,

• Like 1

Level 5 Monk (Broadsword Focus), Level 1 Assassin

Battle Log | Fitness Tumblr

Challenges: Currens | Octavus | Septimum | Sextum | Quintum | Quartum | TertiumSecundum | Primum

Here for this =)

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

I suppose I should clarify that gif. A webcomic seems both a easy thing to do, and so very daunting at the same time. I have a story/world kicking around in my noggin that I'd like to give the best to, but of course I can't give it the best without practice, and I can't practice if I'm worried about giving it the best. Stupid defeatist cycles. Though, I suppose if I went with side stories, I could do both, without committing fully to one.

Also, I need to not get tied up by "research".

• Like 1

Challenges: Currens | Octavus | Septimum | Sextum | Quintum | Quartum | TertiumSecundum | Primum

1 hour ago, Kishi said:

That's one of the reasons I tend to do calisthenics - no need to gym. :D

I'm of the type where if I don't go to the gym, I'll put off the workout, even if I'm just doing bodyweight stuff (which I am doing). Our sala will be really close to our condo when we move; I should ask about whether it can be used for self-directed training.

• Like 1

Apparently I haven't been at swords in forever DX. Three weeks anyways, but colds and cons and finals will do that to you.

Anyways, before I left, I managed to get some eh video of my pull-ups. I arch at the beginning? but straighten out by the time I get up there?

Okay, first and most important: you have a truly magnificent moustache. :)

Anyway, an arch of the lower back isn't necessarily a huge deal. The pull up is more about the upper back - lats and rear delts and such - and some folks will say that arching down low is better for back development anyway by promoting movement along a specific plane. OTOH, other folk will say that you're failing to fire your core properly and leaving a loose link in your kinetic chain, which means you're leaving strength on the table. I haven't really noticed a huge difference between, really, so, take it as you will.

The big thing I'd say you need to worry about is that tendency up top to hunch yourself forward. I know what that is - you're trying to get the rep to count by getting your chin past the bar - but what it's actually doing is promoting poor posture. Best way to do that is to close your eyes and tilt your chin back, and hold that position to make sure that you don't promote a bad pattern.

That's what I would recommend anyway. Of course, as with all advice on the internet, take it or leave it.

• Like 1

Thanks, @Kishi, I've been working on it. I get some some Freddie Mercury comparisons sometimes, which is great: he's a hot, rock-star bisexual and I'm a bisexual that want to be hot and rock-starish.

I am trying to develop movement along that specific plane, I'd rather not have to relearn my pull ups on my way to muscle ups. I've got nine months to get enough strength for that single ring muscle up that's my goal this year. (Eeeee, sounds really scary right now, will I have enough time?) I'll try not craning my neck next time.

I will say though, that (craning aside), that is the closest I've come to getting my chest to the bar yet. Well, "bar"'s a strong word; the rack is two handles with a gap between, not a straight bar. "Yet"'s a strong word too. I was doing well in June, before my wrist sprain in July. I'm also wondering if grip has something to do with it. This grip had some give to it (padded rubber?) whereas the bars at the gym are either hard plastic or metal. I'm trying to figure out how much wrist strength comes to play.

Three weeks... I wish it was three weeks for me.

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

So, it began!

Yesterday:

• Pull-ups performed before and after swords, sets of 4 actually. I'm actually not worried about dips because I'm already pushing out sets of five deep (chest to hands) dips at the gym.
  • Homemade coconut waffles with breakfast and covered in a strawberry, banana, mango and pineapple compote. Butternut Squash gyoza for dinner (weird, but whatever).

Today, so far:

• Pull-ups at the gym, sets of 4, 4 and 3. Did them in the squat rack which is next to a mirror so that I didn't have to stretch my neck to see how high I'd gotten. I stopped the set when I was unable to get my chin above the bar.
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2016 at 9:52 PM, theodinspire said:

Frutta ed Vedura: I did alright last time. But this time, more! I need to get a couple servings of fruit and at least one of vegetables every day. Also strict school grading here! Maybe I should make some carbonated fruit like in this gif.

I'm sorry.  WHAT IS THIS DEVILRY?!  I need all the dry ice now...

On 3/31/2016 at 11:52 PM, Kishi said:

Okay, first and most important: you have a truly magnificent moustache. :)

Anyway, an arch of the lower back isn't necessarily a huge deal. The pull up is more about the upper back - lats and rear delts and such - and some folks will say that arching down low is better for back development anyway by promoting movement along a specific plane. OTOH, other folk will say that you're failing to fire your core properly and leaving a loose link in your kinetic chain, which means you're leaving strength on the table. I haven't really noticed a huge difference between, really, so, take it as you will.

The big thing I'd say you need to worry about is that tendency up top to hunch yourself forward. I know what that is - you're trying to get the rep to count by getting your chin past the bar - but what it's actually doing is promoting poor posture. Best way to do that is to close your eyes and tilt your chin back, and hold that position to make sure that you don't promote a bad pattern.

That's what I would recommend anyway. Of course, as with all advice on the internet, take it or leave it.

+1 to all of this.  The craning the neck thing was the only think I noticed, too.

Good luck on the challenge!

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix is an Avatar

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Pull ups look good! I guess you've decided to go hollow body and straight arm, huh? That's SFG style. Good stuff. I trust you're remembering that stuff I mentioned with the rows where you shrug your shoulders down-and-away, right?

Also, I like the throws! They remind me of no-gi Osoto Gari.

1 hour ago, theodinspire said:

I know rite? Where the hell do I even get dry ice?

I think you can find places that ship things that will sell it.  Honestly, I can get my hands on it because I work in a lab and therefore stuff gets shipped on it ALL THE TIME.

But the problem with that is most of the time it's in contact with chemicals we are testing for toxicity, soooooo..... probably not the best place to nab it from.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix is an Avatar

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

On 4/3/2016 at 2:48 PM, Kishi said:

Pull ups look good! I guess you've decided to go hollow body and straight arm, huh? That's SFG style. Good stuff. I trust you're remembering that stuff I mentioned with the rows where you shrug your shoulders down-and-away, right?

Also, I like the throws! They remind me of no-gi Osoto Gari.

SFG? San Fransokyo Godzillas? Otherwise, yep, I'm trying to pull first the shoulder blades and then the elbows.

Yeah, the "Rear Leg Takedown", or la Gambarola, is essentially that last variation of it. We take care to keep our shoulders over our hips as this art must work in full plate armor. You can't really sweep that swiftly and maintain balance with your center of gravity that high. 

Strong-First-Girya/Girevik. The Soviet-style approach that I mentioned to you earlier.

Also, yeah, it's the same in Osoto. I have a real problem with leaving my shoulder behind, something that's led to some injuries I'm having to heal. But cool to see we have that in common!

1 hour ago, Kishi said:

Strong-First-Girya/Girevik. The Soviet-style approach that I mentioned to you earlier.

Also, yeah, it's the same in Osoto. I have a real problem with leaving my shoulder behind, something that's led to some injuries I'm having to heal. But cool to see we have that in common!

The human body only moves in so many ways, and it easily exploited in others; there's a lot more common ground than not.

• Like 3

Grumble grumble. On the top floor of my gym, there are two exercise areas connected by a track. In the middle of the track is the basketball courts a level below. The track goes one direction and alternates every day. You have to walk the track to get to one side from the stairs. 

I've already watched five people go the wrong way because they couldn't be bothered to walk the extra 30 paces to get to the other side!

21 minutes ago, The Shogun said:

I want your arms by the end of the challenge.

I mean, I want to have your arms.

I mean, I have to have arms like yours will be at the end of the challenge.

Seriously, don't ship them to me or anything like that. 

Really? Are they that good? Geeze.

tumblr_mqlyaqPvWK1r8j1j3o2_r1_250.gif

If you like them that much I'd suggest the /r/bodyweightfitness recommended routine.

Got five good pull ups on my first set today! Yay! Was down to three on the third, but that's still progress. Also moved to ring push-ups and rows.