Talos begins the hunt

Talos

For my first challenge with the Scouts (hi everyone!) I'm channeling my inner Dwarf.

tumblr_inline_n8y70yatnl1rnrk68.jpg

("Keep breathing . . . that's the key . . . breathe . . . *puff puff*")

For anyone who's just meeting me, I tackled my last challenge with the Assassins, and realized I didn't care for bodyweight exercises and goals as much as I used to - my exercise goals these days are all about improving my running. So, here I am!

At the beginning of my last challenge I hit a major milestone, and ran my first half marathon. My long-term goals from here are to keep slowly building my mileage base, and hopefully run a full marathon in the fall. Needless to say, I'll have lots of questions for you guys as time goes on! These days, I'm also doing barbell strength training on the side, which has made me feel like a stronger and better person in general. 

My life goals, on the other hand, are more in the short term, and pretty much all about rebuilding habits that I've been lagging on in the last few months. 

On the Hunt: 

- Increase max long run mileage to 15 miles

With my half marathon goal under my belt, it's time to begin the long hunt for my next big milestone: the full marathon. If I stick to my training plan, I ought to be able to safely increase my max long run distance by a couple miles this challenge. This would be epic.

- Work out five times weekly

My normal schedule has me exercising six days a week, either doing runs or weights. If I do something else that's really strenuous that day, that counts. Missing one day a week is acceptable, if not ideal. (Sometimes weekends are crazy, y'know?) This specific goal should help me stick to the routine I need to achieve the bigger milestones.

Spoiler

Party Like A Dwarf:

- Practice barding (guitar and singing) five times weekly

I've picked up music a bit later than most, but guitar has become really fun, and I've been very lazy about practicing this year. I saw rapid progress last time I had a regular practice schedule, and I'd love to get back to being comfortable playing for people, open mic nights, and such. Maybe learn a few more Irish drinking songs. ;)

Translate the Ancient Runes:

- Practice Spanish (Duolingo, any other program) 5 times weekly

As part of my current school program, I'll be traveling to Guatemala this summer for a month-long crash course in Spanish. Obviously, if I actually know some Spanish beforehand I'll probably get more out of the experience, so I'm going to start trying to brush up on the basics this month. This will be a new habit to build, so it might be the hardest goal on here.

If you've read this far, thank you for sticking with me! For all the other Scouts, I'm looking forward to getting to know you this challenge. :)

"Baruk Khazâd!"

• Like 6

Level 6 Demon Hunter, Novice Troubadour

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

"I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it."

Just now, Cataleya said:

Following!

I love Duolingo. I don't use it as much as I should. I think I have a lot on my plate this challenge but maybe I'll add that to the next challenge.

Also I'm super impressed by your running goals. I am lucky that I was able to run the whole 5k the last time I ran one. You're running half marathons! Awesome!

It's kind of weird at this point, but I still don't usually think of myself as a runner. I just randomly did a couple 5ks and then started training when I impulsively signed up for a 10k with some friends . . . and then never stopped. Momentum, I guess.

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

"I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it."

Woo new challenge party! 

Are you graduating this semester? That's in my head and I don't know why. 

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

7 hours ago, fleaball said:

Woo new challenge party! 

Are you graduating this semester? That's in my head and I don't know why. 

Not graduating, but my program has me going into what's effectively a year-long internship starting this summer, so you're probably remembering me talking about leaving DC while that's going on. 

6 hours ago, aisle4b said:

Hey there, welcome to the scouts! Following to see how you do prepping for your marathon - I'm considering doing one in the fall before my wedding but I've only ever done half marathon distance so *shrug*, we'll see!

Thank you! Sounds like we're on the same track at the moment. :) I'm hoping it'll be manageable as long as I don't take the training too fast.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

5 hours ago, Talos said:

Not graduating, but my program has me going into what's effectively a year-long internship starting this summer, so you're probably remembering me talking about leaving DC while that's going on. 

Ah. That's probably it. 

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Day 1 of the Pre-Challenge - warming up to these goals rather nicely! I did my usual easy run (about 2 miles, dragged a friend with me so he could get some fresh air), and broke out my guitar for the first day in a while. Finger callouses will need to build back up again, but it seems like I've retained most of my ability, such as it is. So hopefully I'll be back in shape in a few days and ready to start more technique drills.

I'd been using the JustinGuitar.com website and exercises last semester and I improved really quickly during the time I was working through his drills, so I think I'll try and use them again to guide my practices this challenge.

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Some ups and downs yesterday. It was a busy one - unfortunately, didn't have time to fit in my workout, but I did get to catch up with an old friend I hadn't talked to in months. On the downside, also ended up in a rough kind-of argument with another friend (leaving out the details out of respect). So I'll probably be taking those feelings out on my run today.

I did at least squeeze in a few minutes of guitar practice at the end of the day, so that was nice.

On the bright side: I snagged a copy of Dean Karnazes' Ultramarathon Man from the library, so that should make for an inspirational (or scary) read while I'm getting back into a more intense running schedule. That dude's legs are a sight to behold.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

4 hours ago, Asa Pond said:

Following, obvi.

Have you heard of Running the Edge by Adam Goucher and Tim Catalano? It's a great read and super motivational. 

Nope! I'll check it out. I'm new to the world of running literature, so I'll take all the recommendations I can get.

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

On 3/31/2016 at 7:58 PM, Asa Pond said:

I loved it. It is what started me on loving running! Let me know how you like Ultramarathon Man and if it would be a good read for those of us who have no desire to run an ultra. :)

I just read the entire book in one day. It's been ages since I did that.

I had expected it would be an entertaining read, but his stories are insane - he has awesomely vivid, gnarly details about his races, and almost blow-by-blow accounts of several of his biggest achievements (the Western States 100, running a marathon to the South Pole, and running 199 miles nonstop). It's definitely a book that makes you appreciate humanity. Highly recommend it.

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Hey Talos the Demon Hunter!

I am also attempting to get back to my guitars! I started from scratch last spring and had to stop due to back issues. But now I can move forward again. I use guitarjams.com if you're interested to check it out. I like Justin as well.

Love the 'Tell Me Ma' - I've heard it done by Rumjacks.

Best of luck this challenge, I'll be stopping in on ya.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

7 hours ago, Terinatum said:

Hey Talos the Demon Hunter!

I am also attempting to get back to my guitars! I started from scratch last spring and had to stop due to back issues. But now I can move forward again. I use guitarjams.com if you're interested to check it out. I like Justin as well.

Very cool! I just took a look at the site - I think I've seen a couple of his videos around YouTube. Thanks for the recommendation, that may well come in handy. 

I'd be excited to hear about your progress with the guitar!

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

So, things are mostly looking good for the official start of the challenge. It's a good thing I don't have any diet goals, though, because I ate some ridiculous stuff over the last two days, including but not limited to a sizable hunk of a 26-pound gummy bear. (It's a long story. On a related note, regular gummys don't do well when soaked in bourbon.)

Recovery from those shenanigans notwithstanding, athletics are doing alright. I made both of my mid-week runs, but totally didn't get around to the weight training, so I'll have to be doubly sure not to forget them. Guitar was practiced for three days, culminating in an epic gummy-bear-fueled faux-bluegrass jam of awesomeness with my talented musical friend yesterday evening. 

Finally, haven't gotten around to restarting Duolingo yet. I'd better do that tomorrow or it'll be hard to get back into it once school sets in over the week.

So, a slow and bumpy start, but a start nonetheless! Tomorrow, we begin for real!

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Oh, and since this is Nerd Fitness and all, I just finished watching Season 2 of Daredevil. I thought it was delightful, even if it tried to do a LOT in not too many episodes.

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Gummy bears do okay soaked in vodka for a few hours if that's your thing.

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

45 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Gummy bears do okay soaked in vodka for a few hours if that's your thing.

We just tried that. Turned out a little melty-looking, but not half bad. Still got about 20 pounds of giant gummy left on the table, though. :P

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Solution: moar vodka

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Oh man. I crushed my 12-mile distance training run today. Funny thing was, I started off kinda sore for the first several miles, mainly from an impromptu Nerf war yesterday (my friends are awesome, yo). But apparently I've improved a lot on overall speed and endurance, because I was able to comfortably run at almost the same pace as my half marathon, and needed far fewer walk breaks.

When I looked at the times I thought I had miscalculated something, but I went back and re-measured my route, and the numbers don't lie:

My last 12-mile run, Feb. 21: 2:40:00 (rounded to the minute).
Today, April 3: 2:03:00 (rounded).

Improvement: 37:00 minutes (!!!).

In conclusion: this Energizer Bunny is still slow, but apparently I'm a heck of a lot less slow than I was two months ago. :D

• Like 3

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Damn! That's fantastic.

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

16 hours ago, Talos said:

Oh man. I crushed my 12-mile distance training run today. Funny thing was, I started off kinda sore for the first several miles, mainly from an impromptu Nerf war yesterday (my friends are awesome, yo). But apparently I've improved a lot on overall speed and endurance, because I was able to comfortably run at almost the same pace as my half marathon, and needed far fewer walk breaks.

When I looked at the times I thought I had miscalculated something, but I went back and re-measured my route, and the numbers don't lie:

My last 12-mile run, Feb. 21: 2:40:00 (rounded to the minute).
Today, April 3: 2:03:00 (rounded).

Improvement: 37:00 minutes (!!!).

In conclusion: this Energizer Bunny is still slow, but apparently I'm a heck of a lot less slow than I was two months ago. :D

Holy crap you improved by roughly my 5k time. That is amazing.

/awestruck