• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I talked to my coach at Bootcamp this morning and asked if he thought I could do a Spartan Sprint (he does Ultras, so he knows his Spartans). He said "oh yeah, totally" with complete certainty. So, I guess i'm in?

Great to hear!

5104108eac565f0fe0f896e4be72d1d6.jpg

• Like 4

Nice. Got Rurik's seal of approval.

Week 4 Day 2 Update

This is just like running a 5K. The first 25% of the week makes me keep saying "we're only THIS far into the week? But it's been so long already!" I've been super tired this week. I don't know why. I'm groggy and exhausted out of the blue. Admittedly, today was 5:30am bootcamp. But yesterday I felt the same way.

Things I did:

• 5:30am tabata bootcamp. Morning bootcamp is weird, because I'll be finishing up at work for the day and think to myself "Is today a workout day? Do I have to get in a workout tonight?" and it will take me a minute to realize I have in fact already worked out for the day. 
  • Asked my bootcamp coach about the Spartan and he said I could do it, so I'm doing it! I'm pretty excited and I'm coming up with some plans for extra things to do to help prepare for it. 
  • Dailies
  • Worked through lunch and left an hour early from work instead, since it was too gross out to walk. Immediately collapsed into bed and napped until yoga. This random exhaustion is no joke.
  • Yin yoga class in the evening. It was a nice class, but I don't really feel like I need a class for something like yin yoga. It was just like the NF yin yoga video - we would hold a pose for several minutes and then move on to the next one. I can easily make a list of poses and do that on my own. It was cool though. I met the brother of a guy I do Aikido with at the class, so I got to feel like I know people. Even though I only tried the classes there because he knows people who work there in the first place. 
  • 1/2 planned adulting tasks. I was going to double up today but then I was sleepy. 
  • Watched Game of Thrones and literally exclaimed out loud at one part, which is not a thing I do when I watch most shows. So fun~

Tomorrow:

• Dailies
  • Yoga
  • Adulting (maybe double up?)
  • Walk (ideally some extra since I didn't get to walk today)
  • Someone in my Aikido class has her art hanging in a coffee shop about 40 minutes away and invited us to see it before it's taken down tomorrow night. I'm nervous about driving to that particular area since I've never been and it's in a more urban area, where driving (well, mainly parking) usually stresses me out. But I've made a ton of progress on overcoming my driving fears in these past 6 months, and this will only take me one step further. Plus, if I want to be able to make friends with people, I should go to things like this when I'm invited!
  • I should probably eat dinner early since I can't be sure I'll be back in time to eat before 8pm otherwise. Or I could take a point loss for eating late if I'm really not hungry beforehand. I'll try to eat consciously and decide. 
  • Like 6

Woah hey, I can post again! It's amazing how aimless I felt without the ability to post here today. 

Week 4 Day 3 Update

Things I did:

• Decided to take the point loss and eat a late dinner today after I got home, since I wasn't that hungry before I left. 
  • Dailies
  • Walked 2.33 miles at lunchtime
  • Managed not to fall asleep at work. I'm still exhausted, though I've felt slightly better each day.
  • Went to that coffee shop that required lots of driving! I'm glad I went, both because I got to hang out with Aikido people and because I got to practice another type of driving that makes me nervous. I have a ton of phobias about different aspects of driving, and I've slowly been overcoming them and making progress. This drive combined several of my fears - parking garages, driving in urban areas, looking for parking in urban areas, freeways, night driving, and freeways at night. I am a scaredy cat. 
  • I'm also really bad with directions. Like, really bad. I parked not far from the shop, but it probably took me 10 minutes of walking in circles to find the place. And then I had a hard time remembering where to find the garage I had parked in...like, not even what direction I had come from. I don't know how I would function without google maps. 
  • Skipped yoga for today, since I had so much else going on. 

Tomorrow:

• Dailies
  • Workout
  • Yoga
  • Aikido
  • Walk/Ruck

Anyway. I've been brainstorming next month's challenge. I'm so ready. 

• Like 9

9 hours ago, deftona said:

As a fellow reforming driving scaredy cat, I wanted to say GREAT JOB! 

7 hours ago, Raxie said:

I 100000000000000000000% feel you on the driving phobias.  Awesome awesome job!!!! :]

You know, it really is comforting to hear that I'm not the only driving scaredy cat in the world. It seems like everyone else just takes to driving so easily! 

• Like 1

Week 4 Day 4 Update

Things I did:

• Took a lot of naps. My energy levels are feeling better now.
  • You know how I said I'm going to have a perfect food week leading into my bloodwork on Monday? Well, I am, but the world is sure making it hard! So many temptations abound. 
  • Dailies
  • No yoga today. I could theoretically do some tonight, but I only need 2 more videos this week, so I'll probably hold off. 
  • Worked out. It wasn't my best workout since I didn't eat enough leading up to it, but I DID start doing balance-assisted pistol squats. Which are really friggin' hard and I managed very few of. I've gotten to the point where maintaining my perfect workout streak is more important to me than not feeling like a workout, so that's good too.
  • Aikido - we did lots of cool stuff today! My rolls have been good lately and I even got a compliment on my improvement on back rolls, which I've struggled to learn. :)
  • I can see how MFP makes food logging really manageable and why so many people do it. I refuse to, because calorie counting makes me go nuts, but it's useful for figuring out protein per serving nonetheless. 
  • Walked before Aikido
  • Finally made my friggin' dentist appointment. For the same day as my bloodwork on Monday, since I figured I might as well make it a really fun day.
  • Most importantly, I saw SEVEN adorable squirrels today. A bunch of really fat ones climbed out of a dumpster and chased one with bread in its mouth. 

Tomorrow:

• Scan a bunch of documents so I can throw away the paper copies (adulting)
  • Yoga video
  • Walk a bunch
  • Dailies
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Finally made my friggin' dentist appointment. For the same day as my bloodwork on Monday, since I figured I might as well make it a really fun day

You do know how to have fun, girl! :D Good luck with all of it

Congratulations on your driving challenges!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

You know, it really is comforting to hear that I'm not the only driving scaredy cat in the world. It seems like everyone else just takes to driving so easily! 

Pfft. My internal monologue while driving is typically "fuck. shit. fuck. oh god why."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

Uh-oh. It's officially the weekend and I'm already kind of antsy and trying to convince myself to go find french fries. 

Stay strong... I realized a fancy salad can be so much better than some oiled potatoe wedges. Or how about a fruit salad. That would be even sweet. I especially love fancy salads with sunflower seeds or other similar toppings. Aren't french fries just borring compared to healthier options?

((Of course I know how strong the urge for french fries can be. I just wanted to give you a different perspective.))

• Like 1

Hooray, the end of another challenge! Now it's time for me to whine until they put up the new forums. :) I feel like there was a lot of hype during the last week 0, but it didn't actually translate into a really energetic challenge for most people. It'll be interesting to see what happens this time. Also, I'm still not sure why they ended on Saturday? 

Anyway. This was not my best challenge score-wise, but it was actually really successful. I feel like I accomplished all the important stuff, even though I kind of lost interest in a few things that resulted in lower overall scores. Please forgive the garbage formatting! I don't feel like taking the time to make everything pretty since it's almost time for bed.

Challenge 9 Summary

Goal 1: Maintain Fitness

This is all about maintaining things I've been doing for a while now, so my scores are nice and high! :D

• 3 workouts/week - 14/12 because I did two extra workouts for the rucking PVP. My perfect workout streak continues!
  • 1 Pushup AMRAP/week to maintain pushup strength - 4/4 as soon as I do my last AMRAP tonight. :P 
  • Walk 16 miles/week - 59.99/64 (93%) I'm satisfied with this. It was raining all day so I didn't get in my last minute miles to round this off, but this is a perfectly good number.
  • Practice holding a deep squat daily - 27/28 (96%) 
  • 1 run / week - 100% 

Goal 2: Movement Focus – Long Walks

Go on a long walk every weekend that weather and travel schedules allow, aiming to increase distance each time. 2/3 (66%).

Out of 4 weekends this challenge, there were 3 weekends with walking-friendly weather. But I stayed home last weekend and did chores instead, so that's on me. Not my best work! But those two walks (plus one in week 0!) I did go on were awesome. 

Goal 3: Food 

Part A: Maintain things that work

• Don’t eat after 8pm (or within 3 hours of bedtime) (-1 point for failure)
  • Don’t eat more than 1 bad food/meal in a day. Desserts are counted separately from meals in most cases. (-1 point for failure)
  • Eat primalish most of the time (19 meals / week allows for 2 variance meals) (-1 point per failure, +1 point for extra primal meal)
  • NEW Aim for primal snacks on 4 days/week and then non-primal snacks ok 3 days per week
  • Aim for at least 1 primal meal and 1 50% meal per day when travelling or hosting (-1 point per failure, +1 per success)
  • Plan/prep meals over the weekend and prep/freeze meals for weeks when this doesn’t happen (+3 points when done successfully)
  • Write down bad reactions to food choices in an ongoing spreadsheet to dissuade myself from making that choice a second time. 

72/76 for meals (94%) and 18/16 for snacks (112%). This has been one of my better challenges for food in a while!

Part B: Measure macros 

• Week 1 – measure protein intake, but no need to try to hit a certain goal (1 point per day)
  • Week 2-4 – start aiming for 75-106g of protein per day (2 points per day - one for tracking and one for hitting)

38/49 (77%). This looks worse than it actually is. I lost points because I got lazy about looking up the exact protein in each thing, but I had a rough idea and reflected on what I ate, so I know I hit protein most days. The days I didn't hit tended to be weekends or days where I ate something carby. 

Part C: Continue to practice conscious eating

• Think about what I’m about to do before eating something. Ideally, pause and take a few deep breaths. At the least, recognize and acknowledge when I’m about to sell out my future self. (4 points per day – 3 meals and snacks)

100.5/112 (90%) - I did a little better on this this challenge. I lost points most often for mindless snacking, and often those were actually pretty healthy snacks. This is a big trouble area for me, but I think looking at macros did help me be a little more conscious. 

Goal 4: Life Goal – Deep Work

I would like to spend 30 minutes / day (except traveling/hosting days) focused on work I care about. I’ve also been neglecting adulting lately, so there are two parts to this.

Part 1: I have a list of about 14 things so far that I’ve been putting off or need to take care of. I’m going to work on one of these per day until they’re done. 

Part 2: Once my list is finished, I’ll spend 30 minutes per day on any activity of my choice (reading, writing, drawing, whittling, career stuff, etc.). 

LOL I never got to Part 2. I managed to extend my to do list to take up 4 weeks instead of 2. Whoops. 21/28 (75%). I did mostly well on this, and got a lot of stuff done. In week 3 I just lost the energy to do things, and that's where I lost most of these points.

Bonus Quests

These are all things that are nice to have, but I do not get points for them if I do them at the expense of any of my main goals. 

• Meditate daily (1 bonus point for every 7 days) - Done! 4 bonus points for 4 weeks
  • Ankle alphabets daily (2 set minimum – 1 bonus point for every 7 days) - Done perfectly in week 1! 1 bonus point. Missed 1-2 days in every other week, but still did them most days. I've decided to stop doing these daily, and as soon as I decided that I got a lot worse about doing them. 
  • Knees in pose / child’s pose / another internal hip rotation stretch daily (1 bonus point for every 7 days) - 3 bonus points. I missed one day one week, or otherwise I'd have that last point too.
  • NEW Clean kitchen sink before bed 4 days/week. I’ve heard good things about what this does for you mentally in the morning, so I’m interested in trying it. 4 points! I did this 4-5 times per week and it really does make my mornings nicer. But I don't have any intention of trying to do it EVERY night. 

Other Stuff

• Completed the RuckFit Light PVP! Rucked about 30 miles, did 2 ruck workouts, and completed an 8 mile ruck. 
  • I ran the Daily Dares PVP this time around and had a lot of fun! I did the dares every day except this weekend after the PVP ended, because I was running around doing so much other stuff.
  • I threw a few extra things on my challenge spreadsheet just to see if having them there made me do them more. It totally did. I flossed almost every day and read at least a few pages at least 5 days a week. 
  • Participated in the Ranger mini 4/4 weeks

Things I learned (the most important section of all!):

• My protein is on track when I eat primal. It was good to learn about how much protein is in things and think about eating more protein snacks, but I don't feel the need to keep tracking this unless I decided to start getting more active and increase my protein intake even more. I learned that I self-regulate this pretty well already.
  • When I eat genuinely primal without looking for loopholes, my weight moves in the right direction. Meal prep is crucial for both this and protein intake, so I have to be very careful to prepare things I'm actually excited to eat.
  • When I'm bored on weekends or unhappy with a meal I prepped, I seek out alternate foods and that's when I go off course. I don't have a great solution yet other than getting better at meal prep, but at least I'm more aware of this. 
  • I learned that 8-9 miles is my current max comfort range for long walks. I'm going to buy some better socks and I've learned a lot about preparing my feet for longer distances. Now, it's just a matter of practice. 
  • My body craves movement now. I still get the urge to procrastinate on yoga or workouts, but I get antsy if I don't move often enough and the desire to move is winning more and more. I'm generally more aware of my core, posture, and breathing as a side effect of fitness. 
  • I eventually get burned out on most daily goals, even if they're really easy. With the exception of meditating, I'm going to take this into account next challenge.
  • I attended 2 in-person yoga classes this challenge, which was very affirming. It's nice to know the videos I've been doing do actually align with what they do in real classes! 
  • I learned to be more lenient in areas that aren't that crucial. The Primal Blueprint says not to be overly strict about health - hit the big buckets and make sure you do something, but recognize that arbitrary standards like doing something a certain number of times per week aren't the most important thing. I really like this idea, and I think I'm finally getting to the point where I can apply it without just dropping all of my goals.
    • For example - If I really didn't feel like doing ankle alphabets, I was able to acknowledge that it was a bonus quest and not something essential to my well being. There's a difference between the cornerstones of fitness and things I do as experiments or miniquests. I want to do the things I commit to doing, but I also don't want to turn things that are supposed to be minor or fun into things that stress me out. When I was starting out, it was important to drag myself to do everything I said I was going to do. But now that I'm getting more experienced and in tune with myself, I can distinguish between the things that are really important and the things that are arbitrary, and make better judgment calls. 

Anyway, that's that! I feel like I could probably have made that a lot more concise, but It's past by bedtime and I want to post! Thank you all so much for your support this month. I had a ton of fun doing that icebreaker with you in Week 0 and chatting with you all throughout this challenge. Let's do it again next time! 

• Like 9

Wow! You've done so much work.

4 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

hit the big buckets and make sure you do something, but recognize that arbitrary standards like doing something a certain number of times per week aren't the most important thing.

This is very important to me too. Focuse on the big picture, on the staples that make you go forward. If there is time for miniquests, absolutely do them, but drop them if they block you (too many things to do, wanting to do all the things... I guess we all have been there).

Special congratulations for your food goal. You're achieving big things in that area.

What are you planning to do next?

• Like 1

Holy cow what a successful challenge! It sounds like you really learned a lot which, as you say, is the most important.  I love when people post what they learned and how they're going to grow from it each challenge.  It's the challenges are really all about IMHO.  Fitness and life improvements are a journey not a destination - so even some places you might not have hit as hard as you would've liked you added to your journey and took what you could from it.  GREAT JOB!

• Like 1