• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I don't get the pickle hate, I really like them.

Congrats on doing awesome push ups!! And with good form!

Sorry to hear about your food struggles, not sure I can help... I like to make a sauce of coconut milk and soy sauce for an asian-inspired stir-fry, but I have no idea whether that's paleo.

• Like 4

I don't get the pickle hate, I really like them.

Congrats on doing awesome push ups!! And with good form!

Sorry to hear about your food struggles, not sure I can help... I like to make a sauce of coconut milk and soy sauce for an asian-inspired stir-fry, but I have no idea whether that's paleo.

Soy sauce isn't paleo TECHNICALLY but I'm not strict paleo so it would be fine. I mainly just stay away from grains/sugar. :) I've never made a stir fry sauce with a coconut milk base. Sounds interesting. 

Ok, so I don't hate pickles! I have a low tolerance for sour or bitter things (#child), so I can only eat a few bites of standard ones is all. I like sweet pickles and half-sours more than your standard dill pickle since I can eat those better, but I can't eat them so easily that I think of them as snack foods. :P

• Like 3

Soo, we're leaving for Buffalo Wild Wings at 2:30. It's a weird time to eat, so it's like a very late lunch, meaning I've just been eating snacks this afternoon to hold me over. MEANING I am sitting here drooling at the thought of junk food and less interested in that salad I was going to make myself get. This...does not bode well. 

• Like 3

Also, guys...I messed up on meal prep this week. I've been doing baked chicken thighs with veggies / sweet potato lately for lunches (because I'd been doing salads for months and thought this would be a good change). But...I went to eat it today and I just really didn't want it. I'm sick of chicken or I need a better sauce idea to cook it in. I think I can repurpose the chicken by cutting it up for stir fry / soup though.

I also made a pot roast for the first time, but it came out a little dry / without much flavor. SO I need to come up with some sort of paleo sauce idea to slather on top of that meat to make it more exciting. If any of you have any ideas, please share! All of my meals for the week are unappetizing and I need to operate on them, stat!

Oh man, I have had weeks like that. Normally I rather like what I cook, but I can't do too many days of baked chicken thighs with veggies / sweet potato because it gets really old really fast.  Can you repurpose the chicken and then use the veggies for breakfast? Sweet potatoes taste amazing with fried eggs. Or you could try putting the chicken and veg into a paleo Pot Pie.  Also, you could try turning the pot roast into a stew if adding gravy doesn't do it for you.  

Good luck!

• Like 2

Oh man, I have had weeks like that. Normally I rather like what I cook, but I can't do too many days of baked chicken thighs with veggies / sweet potato because it gets really old really fast.  Can you repurpose the chicken and then use the veggies for breakfast? Sweet potatoes taste amazing with fried eggs. Or you could try putting the chicken and veg into a paleo Pot Pie.  Also, you could try turning the pot roast into a stew if adding gravy doesn't do it for you.  

Good luck!

Ooh, lots of good ideas here! I was thinking of cutting up chicken and veggies and cooking them into a tomato sauce thing. I hadn't decided about the sweet potatoes, but fried eggs is a great idea!

I like the stew idea too. I was thinking of trying a couple of different sauces and taking this as a chance to experiment that way, but stew makes a lot of sense, especially since I have lots of broth. :) 

• Like 2

Ooh, lots of good ideas here! I was thinking of cutting up chicken and veggies and cooking them into a tomato sauce thing. I hadn't decided about the sweet potatoes, but fried eggs is a great idea!

I like the stew idea too. I was thinking of trying a couple of different sauces and taking this as a chance to experiment that way, but stew makes a lot of sense, especially since I have lots of broth. :) 

Don't forget the flavors of India, chicken and veggies go quite well with several different curry sauces and spices. I also find trying flavors that you might not normally eat help "wake up" your palate and steer you away from junk food (my experience anyways).

• Like 2

Don't forget the flavors of India, chicken and veggies go quite well with several different curry sauces and spices. I also find trying flavors that you might not normally eat help "wake up" your palate and steer you away from junk food (my experience anyways).

Ooh. I just did the tomato sauce thing, but I wish I had thought of curry instead! I have a little bit of it left that I didn't use, so maybe that'll have to become curry. Or maybe I can turn my tomato-y chicken/veggie thing into a curry... #science

• Like 2

Ooh. I just did the tomato sauce thing, but I wish I had thought of curry instead! I have a little bit of it left that I didn't use, so maybe that'll have to become curry. Or maybe I can turn my tomato-y chicken/veggie thing into a curry... #science

My chickpea curry ragout has a can of diced tomatoes in it, I think tomato and curry go well together.

• Like 2

Week 1 Day 2 Update

• Spent the morning cramming all my furniture into my kitchen for the carpet cleaner. There's nothing like removing some of your furniture to realize how nice your apartment looks with less stuff in it. Now I want to get rid of stuff and declutter. 
  • Walked briefly around the block for the sake of doing something but really wasn't feeling it, so didn't force myself to do anything more than that. 
  • Flea's "I believe in you" re: wings was super motivating, and I looked at the menu and decided on a healthy thing to get! It was going to be great! Buuuut then I got there and I was just so hungry and I thought the salad might not be that good so I caved. To make matters worse, someone else got the salad and it looked really good! I have 2 meal variances built into my week, but I really didn't want to give in this time. Ah well.
  • On the bright side, it was both my lunch and my dinner? And now I know their caesar salads look edible so I know for next time. On the downside, my stomach did not appreciate what I did to it AND I got heartburn. So, now I know that for next time too. 
  • Did all daily stuff, except for cleaning the sink

Week 1 Day 3 Update

Today kicked my butt. Work was full of nonsense. First, I'm dealing with this really disorganized guy and reviewing videos he edits for a project I'm leading. I got confused about his (very disorganized) version names, so I asked which video I should start with for the next round of reviews. Simple question, I thought. Apparently this was a hard question (??) and resulted in several very long back-and-forth emails with him getting sort of snippy and upset and he still never told me which video to start with. ARGH. Normally I'm very patient but he's pushing my buttons and I was frazzled all morning. 

THEN we found out that nobody at work gets a raise this year (for 2015 performance) because my employer is incompetent (rather than real reasons like their earnings). I'm really pissed off because they made us all think we were getting raises and got our hopes up. I got amazing feedback in 2015, my boss had recommended me for a good raise, and now I feel like it's gone to waste.

I'm angry about this, and I don't actually get angry often, so I have no idea how to deal with this emotion?? Because I can't fix the problem or do anything about it. But I don't know how to diffuse it either?

Highlights:

• Really would have preferred a clean sink this morning! Now I understand that it does make a difference in my morning. 
  • Made egg salad to take for lunch instead of my tomato science experiment. Having unexciting food is part of why I caved at lunch yesterday - I was just so disheartened by the food waiting for me at home. Which is why meal prep is so important! 
  • Did daily stuff
  • Ran 5K at lunch, after the news about raises. It was a GREAT run and my mood lifted a lot for a while afterwards. I had been planning to try sprinting for the first time, but I had so much rage I decided to just run. I sprinted at the very end of the run though and I was all "THIS IS SO FUN I AM GOING SO FAST I WANT TO DO THIS ALL THE TIME NOW" so that's good. :)
  • I had my yoga class tonight! I probably won't go that often because it's $15 a class, but it's nice to do on occasion. Something about a full hour-long class as opposed to a shorter video just feels very good, like lots of tension and bad energy is releasing from your body. It was gratifying to be able to keep up pretty easily and recognize almost everything we did. They gave me a coupon for a free class in the next 2 weeks, so I'll probably take advantage of that!
  • I picked up some herbs for chimchurri sauce to try on my pot roast. But I also picked up some salsa and dumped a bunch of it on the pot roast for dinner tonight. And my god you guys it helped so much. It went from something I was dreading eating to something I devoured and am looking forward to having again. I am SO HAPPY about this because apparently my emotions are closely tied to food, for better or worse (probably worse). I'm still going to experiment with some other sauces too though.
  • Unfortunately, also bought a cookie at the store. But let's not talk about that. 
  • Like 6

Things for tomorrow:

• Workout (I was planning to do it today but after running at lunch and yoga in the evening, I've decided to push it to tomorrow)
  • Yoga video
  • Dailies
  • Call the friggin' dentist 
  • Get some rucking in 
  • Aikido
  • Like 4

Hear ye, hear ye! I hereby declare next week to be Chicken Redemption Week.

After this week's chicken debacle, I think it's necessary! I was going to make carnitas this week after @Cataleya picked recipe 36, but I need a break from slow cooker recipes too. So, chicken. 

Here's next week's menu:

• Like 4

Hear ye, hear ye! I hereby declare next week to be Chicken Redemption Week.

After this week's chicken debacle, I think it's necessary! I was going to make carnitas this week after @Cataleya picked recipe 36, but I need a break from slow cooker recipes too. So, chicken. 

Here's next week's menu:

I know where I'm going to eat next week!!!

• Like 2

Yesterday was like a universally shitty day. What the hell. 

Im sorry you had to deal with all that, but running was definitely a constructive way to deal with it. In terms of food, at least you learned from both the Bdubs choice and reinforced meal prep importance? Next time you'll make better decisions bc you know you got burned this time. 

• Like 1

So... is quitting an option?  Because yeah, I'd be pretty pissed if I didn't get a well-earned raise because my company can't manage their money.  That does not sound like a stable company.

Also omg those recipes look amazing.... want to eat ALL the things!  And my emotions are totally tied to food as well... for better or for worse, as you said...

• Like 1

So... is quitting an option?  Because yeah, I'd be pretty pissed if I didn't get a well-earned raise because my company can't manage their money.  That does not sound like a stable company.

Also omg those recipes look amazing.... want to eat ALL the things!  And my emotions are totally tied to food as well... for better or for worse, as you said...

I'm really excited for all of the recipes! I am hoping chicken redemption week will be a smashing success. :)

And yeah. Ugh. The complicated part is that I'm a contractor, so the people who employ me and the people who I work with day-to-day are two entirely different companies. And I like the people I actually work with. That said, I'm feeling a lot more open to other opportunities after this recent announcement.

• Like 6

Lots of good stuff in your last update!

I'm sorry about the job raise, is a downer. Is there nothing you can do about it? (I guess the answer is no and that's why you're frustrated).

Ah, decluttering *sigh* I've been so good at this all the winter and suddenly now my house looks again like the diogenes meeting club.

• Like 1

Lots of good stuff in your last update!

I'm sorry about the job raise, is a downer. Is there nothing you can do about it? (I guess the answer is no and that's why you're frustrated).

Exactly. I'm frustrated because I feel so helpless to do anything about it. I emailed my manager just to ask a clarifying question. It won't change anything, but at least getting someone talking directly to me might make me feel a little better?

I was really cheerful yesterday until I started thinking about this again last night. I woke up this morning feeling really frustrated. It's not fun. :/

Ah, decluttering *sigh* I've been so good at this all the winter and suddenly now my house looks again like the diogenes meeting club.

Yeah, it creeps up on you slowly so that your house is suddenly messy before you realize! 

• Like 1

I emailed my manager just to ask a clarifying question. It won't change anything, but at least

At least they will know you're not someone that accepts the situation as is but asks for explanations.

• Like 1

Did my pushup AMRAP for the week! I only managed 30, which is really annoying since I was getting as high as 38 a few challenges ago! I think my form has improved from working on harder pushup variations, so it's probably a good thing. But still. Grumble.

• Like 2