Leigh Gets Back to Basics.

Leigh

Your work story is great! That's a big oops. Sad about the waste of water though...

I should be off my devices at 9PM too. Bedtime is a tad later but turning off devices earlier helps me fall asleep faster (cause I'm not tempted to keep browsing...)

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

Glad you're feeling better. I've found that now that I avoid flour (the white kind, whole-grain is fine), my stomach doesn't like it at all when I DO indulge in it. And people who offer you food which they know you don't want to eat are just evil.

• Like 1

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

They really are!

Oh and more life drama and craziness! We got a snow storm today aaaand my poor stupid room mate Jordan aka Captain Useless, rolled his car into a ditch about an hour out of town :( he's okay which I'm thankful for but his nice newish car is all banged up. Hopefully not totalled but it needed to be rolled upright and towed somewhere.

They really are!

Oh and more life drama and craziness! We got a snow storm today aaaand my poor stupid room mate Jordan aka Captain Useless, rolled his car into a ditch about an hour out of town [emoji20] he's okay which I'm thankful for but his nice newish car is all banged up. Hopefully not totalled but it needed to be rolled upright and towed somewhere.

Dude, he needs a tiger mom or a gaymer, or both.

okay so this challenge crashed and burned, was then launched into space and dragged into a black hole's gravity well never to be heard from again.

I don't want this shit to happen again, but it seems I am terrible at coming up with goals I will actually accomplish >_> also I am prone to falling into month long binges of doing sweet fuck all and not giving a crap about it.

Anyone want to toss some suggestions for things I should try out next time? I've got a week to get myself out of this black hole of laziness and I figure we're generally a helpful and motivating bunch of Nerds over here... >_>

help.... *whimpers*

• Like 2

I don't know, really. I think your goals were pretty straight forward and well thought out. What kept you from accomplishing them? Do you have a clear goal in mind where you want to be 5 weeks from now? Do you think these goals will help you get there? Why do you want to get there? Maybe you can do some soal searching on what you actually want to do and what motivates you to do these things. I know this is not really helpful, but I don't feel comfortable making suggestions like "try doing x" or something, since it's such a personal issue... if you just do things becuase you think you should be doing them or because they sound cool or something, you're going to have a much harder time than if you choose things because you feel like you will get closer to the person you want to be by doing them.

Or maybe right now 4 weeks is just too long a time. What if you decided ona set of goals to pursue for one week? Surely you can push through one week of doing something. And then you can decide whether to continue or whether to switch things up?

• Like 2

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I made the decision for the next challenge to set myself easily attainable (but still helpful) goals.  Maybe lower the bar a little bit, get the kickass feeling of completing a challenge successfully, and then start to ramp it up on future challenges?

• Like 1

Level: 15 Race: Human Class: Adventurer (Sailor Senshi/Aes Sedai)

STR: 14    DEX: 12    STA: 16   CON: 28   WIS: 26    CHA: 15 

(unspent points: 6? challenges worth)

Weight Loss Progress (SW 12/5/15 272)

Mini-Goal: Get back down to my low 152.2 - SW 6/1/17 170.4 - CW 6/10/17: 166.6

regained the last few months - back on track losing in June

My Battle Log|My NF Character Sheet

Challenges:

1/16-2/16-3/16-4/16-5/16-6/16-7/16-8/16-9/16-11/16-12/16-1/17-2/17-

1 hour ago, MichiruSedai said:

I made the decision for the next challenge to set myself easily attainable (but still helpful) goals.  Maybe lower the bar a little bit, get the kickass feeling of completing a challenge successfully, and then start to ramp it up on future challenges?

Seconded. Can you take your goals from this challenge and make them even easier, to the point where they almost feel TOO easy? That's a great way to build up some momentum and get yourself going again. 

So for example, you have a goal to go to the gym 2-3 times a week. Can you make the goal to go once a week? Or to go 6 times during a 4 week period? Or something like that?

I often see people use soda as an example. If you drink soda every day, you don't necessarily want your goal to be cutting out soda completely. Instead, it's more realistic to do something like "go 1 day a week without soda" and wait until you can do that for a while before you increase it to two days without soda, etc.. 

• Like 3

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

I'm thinking that my main issue is that four or six week long challenges are not enough time to see/feel any difference in how I am now vs how I am when it's over. And I find it mind bendingly frustrating that NF has a full on blog post saying that it takes six weeks to lock in a new habit and we only going for four weeks, five if you take the break week as a work week as well.

The only thing in my life that will change in a noticeable way in such a short time frame is my hair colour. And for me it seems like new habits take up to a full year before they become unconscious actions.

What would likely work best for me in accomplishing goals would be to not live with the people I live with and to have no control over the money I earn. Like I seriously need a bloody parent watching over me right about now.

At home I am the dominant personality, I'm the pack alpha and nobody will or possibly can tell me what to do even if I ask them to. And my sister actively sabotages my attempts at becoming better.

Bleh... I need a hug and a slap in the face right about now followed up with a solid "because I fucking said so!" lecture from a seriously strong willed parent figure.

I need a more adulty adult in my life.

Thank you guys for the suggestions though :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LogicLeigh said:

At home I am the dominant personality, I'm the pack alpha and nobody will or possibly can tell me what to do even if I ask them to. And my sister actively sabotages my attempts at becoming better.

((huggss))

sounds like your challenge needs to include resisting sisters attempts to sabotage you, once that becomes habit incorporate something else...

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE is Moving

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

37 minutes ago, RES said:

((huggss))

sounds like your challenge needs to include resisting sisters attempts to sabotage you, once that becomes habit incorporate something else...

At the point it is social survival skills that play against me. When I ask he a zillion times to call or text and ASK me if I want junk from the store and she ignores it and hands me a pack of something delicious and hopelessly wrong, I do calmly and politely tell her "Thanks for thinking of me but I really don't want this" and when I try to give it back, or suggest giving it to one of our room mates, she loses her fucking mind and gets pissed off at me for hours/days/weeks on end. Then when I say "Okay, just stop buying me chocolate and candy, like get me a coffee drink, sure, or something that's at least attempting at being healthy/real. So she finds out I kind of like this roasted seaweed that they sell for like $1.79 in three packs, and then buys me like two packs of it... every day... for a week...

*stabs her in the face*

I'm about ready to just tell her to give me the damned change she's going to spend on junk and call it a day. I don't want the junk, I don't need the junk, and if I really do want the damned junk that fucking badly I will get up and go walk to get it myself. Half the time I'll be home in pjays and the effort of putting on real clothes (socks, bra, shoes lol) to go get something that will be gone in two minutes is not worth it so I don't get it.

So right now it is one of three options:

-Take the junk, eat it, stave off social nightmare, stay fat.

-Take the junk, say thanks I'll eat it later, then throw it out and be annoyed that I am wasting her money

-Say no, refuse the junk, enter into a social nightmare with no obvious end in sight, get healthy, then deal with her being bitchy that I'm being 'ungrateful' and that I don't appreciate her.

or I guess I could say thanks, take the food and like give it to the food bank... but they tend to frown upon chips, chocolate bars and candy...

Although I do have a huge wall cling that you can write on... I could post it up outside my curtain with a nice, big, brutally honest note saying "Donations of junk food, offers for take out and requests to bake cookies/cake will be met with verbal hostility and possibly physical violence."

That or perhaps I should post a very specific list of acceptable things... or both!

• Like 1

That sounds super frustrating. I hate when people don't listen to you about stuff like that. And to even get mad at you about it? That's awful.

Seaweed does sound like a big improvement on the other foods though. It proves that you can train her to get better foods, with a lot of work. :P Maybe that list isn't such a bad idea! 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Super frustrating when people won't listen to you.   Can you take the treats to work and leave them out in a break area for folks to eat if they want?  Or something similar, if you can't bring yourself to just toss them in the trash.

Maybe I am not as nice as you, but I would ask your sister flat out why she keeps buying you junk when you've asked her not to do so.

• Like 1

Challenges:

5 minutes ago, MichiruSedai said:

Maybe I am not as nice as you, but I would ask your sister flat out why she keeps buying you junk when you've asked her not to do so.

So much this...

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

I will remember that for the next time she does it. Today she at least called to ask me if I wanted something. Which is one hell of a step in the right direction.

Mind you I have several questions along those lines that I'd like an answer to. Like why wont she put her shoes away like the rest if us. Why she wont throw out the trash or why she keeps offering me smokes when she knows that I quit years ago...

Gotta love family...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LogicLeigh said:

Gotta love family...

We do? Damn, maybe that's what I'm doing wrong....

so few of my family I can tolerate...

Spoiler

Best part is she's not technically family. We've been friends since fall 1999 and have been so close people refer to us as sisters and it stuck. My mom is mom to her and vice versa.

But seriously, I will do my best to channel some inner Nerd rage and bitch her out the next time she throws junk at me.

• Like 1

I had to do similar with my mother, that's why I asked the question.  I finally, FINALLY got it through to mom not to buy me junk.  Now when she wants to get me a treat she asks first and usually will bring me something like grapes.  Also when she buys her boxes of brownies she keeps them in her bedroom so I don't have to look at them. It's been a big part of my success this year!

• Like 1

Challenges: