• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

obax

obax - just keep swimming

I've been having trouble finding motivation lately (actually, more than lately). Originally, when I joined NF, my goal was to become a police officer (and NF was my path to passing the physical). I still have that goal, but I'm feeling less and less like I will achieve it (I know absolutely I'd be good at it and that it's what I want to do, I'm just less confident that the people in charge of hiring will see that in me). That has translated to less motivation on getting and staying in shape for the physical, which I have to redo every 6 months to maintain my qualifications (because I'm less sure that all that work will be worth it in the end), which then feeds back into my 'I'll never be a cop' thinking, which feeds back into my lack of motivation, and on and on.

So, when life gets you down, you know what you gotta do?

This challenge will be nothing new (well, a couple things will be, but mostly not). I'm following Dory down into the depths, and hopefully if I just keep swimming, I'll have a little success with the physical, and that will help me feel a little more hopeful about my prospects, and will eventually lead me to my P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way Sydney. And maybe I'll even make friends with a whale or a sea turtle along the way, who knows?

For the record, I'll be officially starting this challenge on April 3, and measuring my weeks from Sunday to Saturday, so it'll be a full 4 week challenge. Zero week will be status quo on my workouts, I'll probably post here anyway just to keep myself honest, but I won't start counting until the 3rd.

Stick to The Plan™ (R - 0/12; P - 0/12)

The Plan™: R = run 3x/week (4k hilly route) + 3x20 bulgarian split squats; P = pushups etc. 3x/week.

Note: PREP practice on Monday nights counts as a run day, and squats will be depending on how my legs feel after the practice, since the circuit gives my quads plenty of work by itself.

Pushups etc. consists of:

~ knee pushups (mini-set method for Zero Week and maybe Week 1, 3 x max for maybe Week 1 and for sure Weeks 2-4)

~ butt things + superman hold - 3x10 + 75s (working on first fully extending my arms, then hold time)

~ hollow body holds (sort of) - 3x30s (working on lowering feet while maintaining proper form, then on increasing hold time)

~ body weight rows - 3x10 (working on lowering the rings, then on some progression towards pullups)

~ 5 minutes of crow practice on the parallettes

I recognize that the things in the 'working on' brackets won't happen overnight, or even in 4 weeks, but that's what I'm thinking about when I'm doing them. Also, please ask if you want an explanation of any of my non-technical names for things.

Added to this, I'm going to try to do the pushups etc. in the before rather than after work. Morning workouts are iffy with me, but see goal #3. Runs will never, ever, ever happen in the morning, so I'm not even going to try. I don't mind if I do the occasional strength stuff in the evening, but I want to feel like I'm legitimately trying to do it in the mornings. I'm also ok if I leave the crow practice 'til the evening, I'd rather have time to focus on it and practice mindfully than to rush and squeeze it in just because I said I would.

Stretch (and Mobilize and Mush) Dem Things (S - 0/28; M - 0/4)

S = Stretch the things daily. Do my shoulder physio daily (I mean, c'mon, it's only 2 exercises!). Do thoracic spine mobility daily. Do wrist mobility daily; M = Mush my shoulders at least once per week.

(Now that I'm looking at this, the S seems like kind of a lot, since in my head I do 3 sets of all but the stretching. It might be fine, but it might take more time than I think it will. I will try this out in Zero Week and see if I need to tweak it for the rest of the challenge)

To Sleep, Perchance to Dream (N - 0/28; G - 0/28)

N = TV off by 11pm (reading a magazine after 11 is fine); G = Get up at 8:15am (and no lazing about in bed and/or drifting back off to sleep and then having to rush). Ugh, this is going to be hard...

Domestic Rangering (C - 0/1; T - 0/4)

C = Clean up my room some time in Zero Week; T = tidy and vacuum once per week to help keep it that way. And, for the love all that is good and holy, put away my damn laundry as soon as it's done!!!

Other Things

L = Learning forums, one/week, cuz I really need to do these things...

Plan my weeks a bit, which means looking at my calendar and posting here each Sunday what days I plan to do what. I have a bad habit of saying 'Oh, I'll do this thing on this day instead' while not realizing I have 1000 other things to be doing on that day and then not having time then I skip a thing I should be doing instead of doing it. Also try to cook/preapare some things on Sunday to have for easy, healthy lunches during the week.

Keep trying to eat healthy, which consists mainly of having carby/grainy/starchy things at only 1 meal/day, and being mindful about my treats (I enjoy the occasional Coke, and like to have a small sweet something after dinner, usually one 'line' of a large sized chocolate bar. I don't have any qualms about these indulgences, but I need to be mindful of not overdoing it, it can be easy for me to justify more treats than I really need by saying 'Oh, I only have these things once in a while, an extra won't hurt').

The Count (for easy copy and pasting)

R ~ 0/12

P ~ 0/12

S ~ 0/28

M ~ 0/4

N ~ 0/28

G ~ 0/28

C ~ 0/1

T ~ 0/4

L ~ 0/4

• Like 4

Zero Week Plan

Tues - stregth stuff AM, volunteering PM

Wed - run

Thurs - strength stuff AM, hockey PM

Fri - run

Sat - run, clean the room

Sun - strength stuff whenever, finish cleaning the room

I know what you mean about losing motivation when you no longer believe your goal is achievable.  It feels like repeatedly trying to kick that football Lucy is holding out for you, knowing she's going to pull it away and you're going to fall.  Eventually you start trying to protect yourself.

The difference here is that there is no Lucy! You can totally achieve this goal!  

I think your plan looks great!  Go get'er!

I love the idea of morning workouts, but it just takes time for me to warm up and feel strong/coordinated/flexy/whatever. I wonder that if with regular "trying" you'll get used to it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I love the idea of morning workouts, but it just takes time for me to warm up and feel strong/coordinated/flexy/whatever. I wonder that if with regular "trying" you'll get used to it?

I have tried regularly in the past with mixed success, but running was included then. I generally have a little more success with strength type stuff in the morning, so I'm hoping a 50/50 split might help me feel like I have more time in the evenings while still getting everything done. I'm just so much NOT a morning person, sometimes just remembering where the spoons live so I can mix my coffee is more than I'm ready to handle. But I'm gonna give it another try, because like you say, the idea of it is a good one.

5 hours ago, Peace said:

"Just keep swimming" 

What are " butt things"? :lol:

I was just reading several articles from this website and came across this and thought about you:  http://dosomethingcool.net/when-feel-giving-up/

Butt things are just leg raises laying on my stomach. My massage therapist gave them to me as an exercise to help activate my glutes, basically I lay on my front, and raise one leg at a time, keeping my leg straight and focusing on using my glute muscle more than my hamstring. I've combined them wither superman holds such that I do 10 raises on each leg, then immediately hold the superman for time, then do 3 sets of that. I've been finding it fairly helpful, I notice my butt is generally tighter than it was before (or, more accurately, I notice my glutes, full stop. Before I really couldn't have told you if they were engaged or not...)

And thanks for that article! That's pretty much my process for trying to work through my ongoing slump. It's keeping me going and I haven't given up yet, but that's easier said than done sometimes, especially when at least part of your goal is out of your hands (ie. ultimately, it's up to the recruiters, not me, whether or not I become a cop. All I can do is put myself in the best place possible for them to decide I'm the one).

14 hours ago, Polgara19 said:

I know what you mean about losing motivation when you no longer believe your goal is achievable.  It feels like repeatedly trying to kick that football Lucy is holding out for you, knowing she's going to pull it away and you're going to fall.  Eventually you start trying to protect yourself.

The difference here is that there is no Lucy! You can totally achieve this goal!  

I think your plan looks great!  Go get'er!

That's exactly how I feel sometimes! There's sort of a Lucy when you think about getting hired, but in terms of passing the physical, you're entirely right, there is no Lucy. I'll get it eventually...

7 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following.

Woo! Glad to have you along!!

• Like 2

Zero Week - Tuesday

Successfully did my strength stuff in the morn, but I was not happy about it, mainly because I failed to stick to my 11pm bedtime. Pushups are hard in the morning *frown* Went as follows:

Pushups - 20+10x2 (As mentioned, these were hard today)

Superman - 3x75s (arms up, but by my head)

Hollow - 3x30s

BW Rows - 3x10 (might be ready to try lowering the rings a bit, we'll see)

I didn't have time for the crow practice in the morning, and I'm volunteering tonight, so I probably won't do it when I get home. I will stretch and maybe do a bit of mobility, but getting to sleep is probably the best thing to do. Also, I added one more thing to count in my challenge, it's something I really need to do but never think about when I have time, even when I've made it a goal in the past. Hopefully this time I'll remember a bit better.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Polgara19 said:

What an amazing analogy Polgara!

Obax.  My linemate!  My NF friend forever!    I understand this so much.    Something I've heard recently, that I keep trying to embrace (failing still) is that while destinations are nice, it's the journey that really counts.    Sure, maybe using that in the scope of landing the career you really want doesn't work quite as well, but I think the gist of it is about taking pleasure in the steps that get us to where we want to go.   Let them be as rewarding as the final destination.  

Or some such mush like that.    (Ever start off with this idea you had something great to say and halfway through you go "Bwuh? What the hell was I going on about?")

Anyway.   You put a lot on your plate, but I think your idea to write things out ahead of time is going to help a ton.

Also - we are opposite days of each other, but so damn similar in what we do! :D

2 hours ago, Starpuck said:

What an amazing analogy Polgara!

Obax.  My linemate!  My NF friend forever!    I understand this so much.    Something I've heard recently, that I keep trying to embrace (failing still) is that while destinations are nice, it's the journey that really counts.    Sure, maybe using that in the scope of landing the career you really want doesn't work quite as well, but I think the gist of it is about taking pleasure in the steps that get us to where we want to go.   Let them be as rewarding as the final destination.  

Or some such mush like that.    (Ever start off with this idea you had something great to say and halfway through you go "Bwuh? What the hell was I going on about?")

All. The. Time.

I try to embrace the journey, but my goal being what it is, it's hard for it to be only about the journey. The strength side of things are a bit more about the journey, I've genuinely become interested in that sort of training for its own sake. The running, though, will only ever be about the end goal, which is why I find it so hard to be motivated in that sometimes...

Oh, also, re: the opposite days, that's just for this week. My weekly plan will be different each time, depending on what else I have going on. The only constant will be PREP practices on Monday evenings, which counts as a run day (which I just realized I forgot to mention in my original post!)

Can I ask a potentially inflammatory question?

Ahem.

What part of the PREP test is the problem right now?  Is it stamina or just flat out speed?  Might a change of some sort, cross training on a bike/pool/roller blades be a way to jump start things? 

Or am I totally off base?  It's entirely possible I am since I am not the best person for keeping up with things on the forums, so just let me know if I am!

15 hours ago, Polgara19 said:

Can I ask a potentially inflammatory question?

Ahem.

What part of the PREP test is the problem right now?  Is it stamina or just flat out speed?  Might a change of some sort, cross training on a bike/pool/roller blades be a way to jump start things? 

Or am I totally off base?  It's entirely possible I am since I am not the best person for keeping up with things on the forums, so just let me know if I am!

Not off base, per se. The trouble is, I'm not at all interested in any sort of cardio, and running is the easiest and cheapest to access, so it's become the default. And really, the best way to get good at running is to run, so.....

In terms of the actual PREP, the shuttle run is the problem at the moment, and it's mainly stamina, both in terms of my cardio and my muscle endurance (maybe speed a bit, but definitely more my endurance). You have to do the circuit first, which fries my quads, and I'm not able to recover enough (or fast enough) to have the endurance necessary to get the required level on the shuttle run (at the moment, I'm not sure I could pass the shuttle even if I did it first, but I'd get a better result for sure). I've thought about changing things up a bit, but I had a lot of success when I was first training for the PREP with the hilly route that I'm doing now, I found it gave me a good combination of speed work and the cardio/leg endurance I need for the shuttle, so I'm doing what worked before, and I know it will work again as long as I stick with it. The difference between then and now, though, is I was a lot more motivated because I could see myself in that police uniform. I can't see that as clearly any more, so my motivation to give full effort every time I run is lacking a bit.

That said, I'm a naturally competitive person, and I've gotten back to timing my runs, which I think will help with my effort level once I get out the door. I find it a bit demotivating when I get a slower time one day than the last day, but I've managed to wrap my head around it a bit better than before that I'm not a robot, as much as I might want to be, and a poor result on a given day is not necessarily meaningful within the big picture. So, while I'm lacking in motivation, I'm in a better state of mind to deal with the daily ups and down.

14 hours ago, Raxie said:

I really like your positive attitude here :) Following along!

I'm tryin'! And welcome!

Zero Week - Wednesday

Ran 2x2k. I phrase it that way because after my first loop, I was feeling a bit light headed (running on an empty stomach) and had a horrible stitch in my side, so I decided to stop, go home, eat dinner, and finish the rest on the treadmill later. But once I got home and had a bit of water, I decided I'd rather get it over with, so I ate 1/2 a Clif bar and drank a bit more water, then went back out and did the second loop. Split times: 10:49, 10:52 for a total of 21:49, which is 50s faster than the last time I did it. I felt like I had a bit more pep in my step today, the last time I went my legs felt very heavy. My cardio sucked this time though, which is the pattern I usually see: one day my legs feel like lead but my breathing is ok, the next it's the other way 'round. I very occasionally have both feel good, and when that happens I'm either slacking horribly without realizing, or I'm setting a PR.

Forgot about my squats, I'm not used to having more to do after a run. Stretched well, but skipped the rest. Somehow I missed my 11pm bedtime, I didn't even realize what time it was, but I'll be turning things off after I post this, which is significantly earlier than I have been going to bed, so progress.

Tomorrow is strength in the AM and hockey in the PM. Last game of the year, I'm a little sad. I've decided to not play summer hockey, and am feeling a bit regretful of that choice, but I think it's the right one.

• Like 2

I hear you.  The motivation is the killer.  I'm glad you know what works for you, makes it easier to just focus on motivation, instead of being also somewhat concerned that you should be doing something else.  

What you need is a seriously tantalizing reward - maybe for achieving some sort of PR?  Take the focus away from the police uniform?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, obax said:

Zero Week - Wednesday

My cardio sucked this time though, which is the pattern I usually see: one day my legs feel like lead but my breathing is ok, the next it's the other way 'round. I very occasionally have both feel good, and when that happens I'm either slacking horribly without realizing, or I'm setting a PR.

^  Omg this.   I am in the same damn boat with my running.  Today the legs felt great, but at the 45 second mark my lungs were screaming, "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO US!?"   It never did get better.   I kept having to imagine myself as a Sky Dragon Slayer, capable of eating wind and suck it up for the rest of the 2.6 miles.   LOL.

Sometimes I think maybe I do it wrong.   But how much work (and how do you even learn how) would it be to re-teach yourself how to run and breathe.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm crazy impressed that you went out for that second run! Talk about willpower.

It was kind of choosing the least of 2 evils... And the Clif bar really helped, I probably just should have eaten a whole one before I went in the first place.

17 hours ago, Polgara19 said:

I hear you.  The motivation is the killer.  I'm glad you know what works for you, makes it easier to just focus on motivation, instead of being also somewhat concerned that you should be doing something else.  

What you need is a seriously tantalizing reward - maybe for achieving some sort of PR?  Take the focus away from the police uniform?

There are times I think a change would be a good thing, just to take a break from the slog of running, but the time it would take me to get proficient enough at some other activity that it would make a difference is probably not worth it in the short term. That's why I'm trying again to work on the crow pose: it's something different and not directly related to training for the PREP, but won't interfere with it either.

I've thought about some sort of reward, but anything I can think of takes money, and I don't have much of that, especially for frivolous things. The best reward might be to take a break from running, but that's probably a bit counter-productive...

9 hours ago, Starpuck said:

^  Omg this.   I am in the same damn boat with my running.  Today the legs felt great, but at the 45 second mark my lungs were screaming, "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO US!?"   It never did get better.   I kept having to imagine myself as a Sky Dragon Slayer, capable of eating wind and suck it up for the rest of the 2.6 miles.   LOL.

Sometimes I think maybe I do it wrong.   But how much work (and how do you even learn how) would it be to re-teach yourself how to run and breathe.

The way I think of it is, the legs and the cardio are two separate parts of the running machine, and they don't always go quite in sync. So the times when my breathing is ok, it's because my cardio has improved more than my legs, and my legs can't keep up, and that's why they feel tired. Then, on days when my legs are good, it's because they've improved past my cardio, and are pushing harder than my breathing can keep up with. It's the nature of progress, it goes step-wise, with each part taking its own set of steps.

I have no idea how to make them go in tandem on purpose, and maybe you can't really, since something has to be the limiting factor on your performance. Professional athletes probably pay people lots and lots of money to help them find ways to make both things go in tandem at the right time (ie. race day). All I can do is rely on the phase of the moon, or possibly the alignment of the outer planets, and hope for the best.

And actually, I'm sure there are lots of articles on the art of breathing while running. I find I have a natural rhythm of breathing out when my left foot hits the ground, and in when the right hits the ground, and when I get out of that rhythm is when I feel like my breathing sucks. Hills get me out of that rhythm, since it requires extra effort to get up them, but I can usually get it back on the downhill. And then sometimes my diaphragm is just like 'Nope, we're not going to be doing this efficiently today, sorrynotsorry' and that's when it suck always. I just try to focus on breathing as deeply as I can and as evenly as I can, especially when I find myself getting gaspy.

Zero Week Thursday

No AM strength stuff. I woke up at the proper time, and lazed for a bit but not too much, then rolled over the check the time on my phone and had the thought, 'Ok, time to get up', and before I had a chance to put that into action I was back asleep. I was literally out like a light, I have a memory of having that thought, then all of a sudden it was an hour later. So, I'm a bit annoyed at myself for that.

Last hockey, and we won! We're not last! I did not get on the score sheet, which makes it a whole set of zeros for the season (I like to think I had an assist, but I don't know if it was officially credited ('cuz my women's rec league is so official), and it bounced around a bunch between me and the person who scored, so who knows). I stayed for a drink after, so I didn't do the strength stuff in the PM (and this is also why I planned to do it in the morning, since I figured there'd be drinks after the last game). Anyway, it is what it is.

Stretched fairly well, but totally missed my bedtime because the Women's Hockey World Championship is happening on the west coast (meaning late games) and Canada-Finland was close for a while.

Tomorrow is a run, and I'll do at least my pushups at some point to make up a bit for the missed strength stuff. I'm setting my alarm for early, so I might even get it all in in the morning. This weekend I'm determined to try all the stretching/physio/mobility I want to do to see how long it takes when I do it all at once and decide if I want to change that goal a bit.

• Like 2

Congrats on the win!  That's awesome!  

We have our last ringette game of the season tonight, and then we are going out for wings - super excited!  But also sad since there won't be any more ice until the fall.  Boo.  

Oh well, time to wash the equipment I guess!

Sounds like you had a pretty awesome day! Congrats on the game, it's a bummer you may not have gotten credited for that assist but goals aren't everything :D Also YES for watching the World Championship!! I have literally no way to watch it here and I was pretty bummed about it.  I thought for sure like ESPN3 or something might be showing it but NOPE.

Nice work hockeying Obax.   I know what ya mean about missing out on the mark on the scoresheet. :P   It's funny how much joy those little numbers can give ya.    

Good luck on the run today!    (runs after hockey nights are always so hard for me)

11 hours ago, Raxie said:

Sounds like you had a pretty awesome day! Congrats on the game, it's a bummer you may not have gotten credited for that assist but goals aren't everything :D Also YES for watching the World Championship!! I have literally no way to watch it here and I was pretty bummed about it.  I thought for sure like ESPN3 or something might be showing it but NOPE.

That's one (of many) reasons I love Canada: all hockey, all the time! They even show the nationals and worlds for, like, 16 year old kids on tv sometimes (and not just on the local network, on the national sports network). In the down times between professional sports seasons, they replay old World Juniors and Olympic games. I'll see the listing on the tv, and I'm like, 'oooooh, international hockey!', then realize it's a round robin game from 3 years ago and get very disappointed.

12 hours ago, Polgara19 said:

Congrats on the win!  That's awesome!  

We have our last ringette game of the season tonight, and then we are going out for wings - super excited!  But also sad since there won't be any more ice until the fall.  Boo.  

Oh well, time to wash the equipment I guess!

As an adult, I've almost always play summer hockey, so it's not usually too sad for me, but this year I'm not, so I feel ya. When I was a kid, it was always my favourite day to go into the rink for the first time at the beginning of the season and smell the smell that all rinks have (probably a mix of refrigerant, propane exhaust, and stale sweat, so I don't really know why it's one of my favourites, but there you have it).

And wait, wash wha....? I don't actually think I've ever washed my equipment, just the soft stuff like the tights and shirt I wear under and the hockey socks. I'm discovering I'm weird in this way, but I've never had a problem with it being smelly, so.... Or maybe just no one tells me and I don't realize....?

9 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Nice work hockeying Obax.   I know what ya mean about missing out on the mark on the scoresheet. :P   It's funny how much joy those little numbers can give ya.    

Good luck on the run today!    (runs after hockey nights are always so hard for me)

They usually are for me too, which is why they often don't happen (and didn't this time, see my post below). I would've liked just one goal, so I could feel like I contributed. But there weren't very many goals scored by anyone, so I'm not alone in having a string of goose eggs.

7 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I find for running it helps me to breathe in and out on the same foot, I use the left one. Even when sprinting I still focus on left-strike in, left-strike out.

Now that you say this, that might actually be what I do too. I have to admit, I only notice my breathing when it's not going smoothly, I'll have to pay attention next time and see.

• Like 1

Zero Week Friday

Holy headache, Batman! I woke up with a headache today (and not on time, my body didn't even pretend to stay awake after my alarm went off), which is never a good sign. It got worse and worse through the day, any little noise or light was just painful (which made my very busy and bright workplace somewhat of a misery to be in). I took some advil and had a bit of a nap when I got home from work, and am feeling a bit better now (the headache is now just hanging out in the background, but I'm still very happy it's dark in my house).

So, the run didn't happen, and isn't likely to. I'm going to try to get my missed strength stuff in from yesterday, and I might walk the dog around the block to see if getting some air helps.

Things I've Learned So Far During Zero Week That I Will Apply to the Actual Challenge

I need to pay better attention to the time in the evenings. I seem to naturally know when midnight is approaching, because that's been my usual bed time, but I have missed 11pm every night, and then sabotaged my early morning by saying screw it and staying up way later than I should regardless. Related to this, I've decided to keep to my bedtimes and morning wake up times even on the weekends. I have a bad habit of staying up way too late on Fridays and Saturdays then sleeping half the day away, and then need at least a couple of days to recover and reset my sleep schedule at the beginning of the week. To help encourage me to get out of bed tomorrow morning, I've made a date to go to the market with my sister, who's one of those annoying morning people, and so will be up anyway.

Lesson 2 is that I really, really need to get up right away when my alarm goes off, I can't be trusted to beditate even for a second. This will be a challenge on all days, but especially on weekends, since I really do love to beditate and I have the time for it on a weekend... I think making early morning dates will be helpful for that, but I'll have to find others willing to do whatever with me, because I will totally shirk a date with myself in favour of beditation...

Tomorrow will be a run in the afternoon, as well as 2 dog walks at some point.

Edit: And numbers!

Pushups - 20 + 10x2 (I almost didn't make it on the very last one, I made a grunt-type noise loud enough to startle my dog)

Butt things + other butt things + superman - 3x10+10+75s

Hollow - 3x30s (I feel like I'm getting the hollow position better. Also, is that even a sentence?)

BW Rows - 3x10 (I keep thinking about trying the mini set method with these, because the first 6-7 of each set area always really easy, but lat DOMS is the worst of all DOMS...)

And stretched a bit, chose bed (close to bed time, but not quite) over the other stuff (though it will be hard to turn off the hockey game after I post this, it's a good one. I'm cheering for the Czechs).

Edited by obax
  • Like 1