• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

obax

obax - just keep swimming

One Week Thursday

Got home from work and was quite tired and quite hungry, so I decided to have a bit of a lie down and eat dinner, then do all my physio/mobility, then run on the treadmill, then stretch, then go to bed. The first part of that went off without a hitch, but then I went to go on the treadmill and it turns out my mother has moved her xbox back downstairs for Netflixing, so that didn't happen. Instead I stretched thoroughly and went to bed.

One Week Friday

Have to double up Friday and Saturday to make up for my misses. So I got up early and did my strength stuff, as follows:

Pushups - 20+10x2

Bridge hold - 3x90s (new exercise here, will explain below)

Hollow - 3x35s

Rows - 3x10

The bridge hold was something I happened upon by accident. I've never really liked the traditional bridge exercise, wherein your shoulders are on the floor and you push your hips up, mainly because of the angle my head ends up in is uncomfortable. But then I was doing my thoracic mobility, which involves bending my back over a foam roller, and afterwards, I left my shoulders on the roller and pushed up my hips. I felt it in the right places in my butt and hamstrings, and having my shoulders raised made it quite comfortable to hold, so I decided to try this instead of the supermans to see how I felt. I think each exercises get slightly different parts, so I'll probably keep both, and switch back and forth as I see fit. I think I'll do the bridges for a while though, they're much easier on my lower back.

Ran after work. I even had a dinner date with my sister and friend, which often leads to me throwing exercise plans out the window. I did 1 loop of my hilly route, it was colder than I realized and my breathing sucked, I was gasping the entire time. When I looked at my watch and realized I did it 10 seconds faster than last time (10:28), I realized why breathing was so hard, but I definitely didn't have it in me to do another loop. I figured I'd finish on the treadmill after, but ended up staying out much later than I realized I would, and just went to bed when I got home (ie. I missed my bedtime, stretching and mobility/physio...)

The Count

R ~ 2/12

P ~ 2/12

S ~ 4/28

M ~ 1/4

G ~ 5/28

N ~ 4/28

C ~ 0/1<-- I will give myself a 1/1 if I can get this finished by the end of week one, now that laundry's done it's just little bits here and there

T ~ 0/4

L ~ 0/4

• Like 1

Editing my counts, clicking 'edit' wouldn't actually let me edit the post, so I'm posting it again here. I miscounted my get-ups, which I'm actually doing surprisingly well with. Week 2 will be harder, since I'm being much more strict about the lazing.

The Count

R ~ 2/12

P ~ 2/12

S ~ 4/28

M ~ 1/4

G ~ 7/28

N ~ 4/28

C ~ 0/1<-- I will give myself a 1/1 if I can get this finished by the end of week one, now that laundry's done it's just little bits here and there

T ~ 0/4

L ~ 0/4

One Week Saturday

Got up after only about a minute of lazing, which is my best yet! Because of my later-than-desired night last night, I set my alarm for 9:15 instead of 8:15, since I have a fairly ambitious plan for today and would like to not be too tired to increase my chances of success.

My plan for today was to do strength stuff in the morn, have my massage at noon, then run some time in the afternoon. Between all that I'd complete the cleaning of my room (for a +1 on the C and T counts), and hopefully play some video games. Turns out my massage was at 11, not noon, and by the time I realized I only had time for pushups and rows. I think I will leave it as such, my lower back is a bit sore today (aggravated by hollows) and my hamstrings are fairly sore (aggravated by bridge holds).

Pushups - 3x15

Rows - 3x10

Tried really hard to talk myself out of a run, the main arguments being a sore back and hamstrings. I finally decided to put the hockey game on and go for 10 minutes on the treadmill, and if things still felt crappy, I'd stop. But then there was no hockey game going... So I decided to eat a Clif bar and wait for the 2nd period to start on the one game in progress, with my reward being to play video games for the rest of the night. Then the xbox refused to stay connected to the network, despite the fact that it was plugged into a land line, so I put a movie in instead (Finding Nemo, of course). Ran 2.5mi (4.02k) at 6.5mph (10.47kph), for a total of 23:something (I pulled the electronic key thingy before my brain registered the seconds, but it was under 30 I think). That's about equivalent to outside, maybe a tad slower, and it was a good, sustainable challenge, so I think I'll do that speed when I go on there for the next while.

Split squats to come after dinner. Or I might get up and do them now while the movie is still on. Either way, it'll be 3x20.

Room = clean! It actually took less time than I thought it would...

Been craving pizza for, like, the last month or so, I finally gave in and ordered some (zero guilt, it was good). I guarantee I'll regret the jalapeno peppers come tomorrow morning... I will be good and not eat pizza also for dinner, despite the fact that my dad tried to be a bad influence and convince me there was nothing wrong with that.

Week 2 Schedule

Sunday - Jays game, so just stretching etc.

Monday - PREP practice (run)

Tuesday - strength stuff

Wednesday - appointment in the morning, volunteering in the evening, so just stretching

Thursday -strength stuff

Friday - run

Saturday - strength stuff + run

I'm not overly happy about this schedule, but I've got a couple of busy days so this is how it has to be.

• Like 2

One Week Sum-Up

(I just typed all this and then the internet ate it *frown*)

The Plan™ - Technical Success

Mmmmmmmmmmm........ I did 3 runs and 3 strength stuffs, which is technically a success, but I crammed the last two of both into the last two days of the week, which is less than ideal. Next week I will try to stick to the schedule a bit, to spread things out a bit better.

Bendiness Not Included - Mitigated Succes

Missed 2, which is 5/7, which is not bad, objectively, but this is not a new goal, so I really should be better.

Sleeping and Dreaming - Mitigated Success

Did pretty good on the get ups, there was only one morning where I lazed a long time (~30mins, would've been fine before, not so much now). Going to get stricter with this in week 2, but I'm surprised this went so well in week 1, I'm so not a morning person.

Missed 2 bedtimes, which for this goal is actually not bad. Only one was a bad choice (the hockey game night), and the other was a volunteering shift after which I just couldn't sleep.

Domestic Rangering - Success

After a hiccup on getting the room cleaned initially, I squeaked this one in by the end of the week. In this case, that's fine by me, I probably could've worked on it on weeknights, but I'm the kind of person who prefers do a job all at once, rather than do it in interrupted parts. During the next week I need to get a duster thingy to see if I can keep the dust under control and not have to wash shelves in another couple of months.

Other stuff - Uh......

No learning forum done, but I did apply for a job! I'll have to do a better job of remembering this one...

The Count

R ~ 3/12

P ~ 3/12

S ~ 4/28

M ~ 1/4

G ~ 6/28

N ~ 4/28

C ~ 1/1

T ~ 1/4

L ~ 0/4

• Like 3

We're all in the same boat on editing. It popped up the same time as the quote mishap.

That's good to know. Any time anything weird like that happens, I'm always afraid that my 8 year old computer is finally deciding to not play nice with things.........

I just kind of sucks that, when I'm all rarin' to go to get a strong start to the challenge, that's right when my immune system decides to throw me for a loop. 'Tis life, though, and I can just keep swimming while coughing at the same time...

There seems to be a lot of plague going around right now (here & IRL), so at least you're in good company? (not just talking about me :P )

Nice job on the PREP stuff!

There seems to be a lot of plague going around right now (here & IRL), so at least you're in good company? (not just talking about me :P )

Nice job on the PREP stuff!

Thanks!

I managed to avoid the worst of the plague, I was really only feeling crappy for a couple of days. I have a pretty strong immune system, it rarely lets me down entirely (but when it does, hoo boy...). My allergies are kicking in early this year too, which is adds to it too.

Good first week. I haven't tried editing, but I can't quote. However, I couldn't tag people and now I can:)

I don't even know what tagging people means....... New forum growing pains, I guess, it'll get sorted. I'm just glad it's not just me.

Two Week Sunday

Jays game, so nothing, as planned. My cough is back, and I'm feeling fairly run down despite ok sleep last night. I don't have the energy for physio/mobility/stretching, so I'm just getting into bed and probably turning the lights off early.

Tomorrow is PREP practice, hopefully my lungs like it better than they did last time...

Two Week Monday

Early bed was the right choice last night, I turned the lights off an hour early and was almost immediately asleep, usually if I try that I just end up tossing and turning until well past my usual sleep time.... I've still got a little sumthin' in my chest-area, and am feeling a tad run down, but much better than yesterday. Fortunately, whatever it is is staying in my upper airway and not settling down into my lungs, which I think it why I've been able to shake it after a day or two, but also probably why I keep getting it back after a while. It's been like a cat and mouse game all winter long with this bug, so far I'm coming out ahead, but I just can't fully escape its claws...

PREP practice tonight. I was a bit slower on the circuit, but still under the cutoff time, and I got 6.5 on the shuttle, which is my best yet since I've got back to it. I'm aiming for a 7 (the required level) next week. I was feeling fairly tired, my legs did not want to do the circuit, but I think I'm adapting to it, I was much less fatigued after than I have been, which I think is part of why I'm getting better at the shuttle. I'm finally starting to feel really positive about this, and I seem to be feeling more positive about the police thing in general. Maybe I'm getting some of my confidence back? We'll see if it lasts, but for now I'm feeling good.

Completely lost track of time after I got home, and I'm choosing bed over stretching etc. Not great, but probably sleep is better for me at the moment, so I can shake the last of this blah.

Got up after only 3 minutes of lazing this morning.

Tomorrow is strength in the AM and nadda in the evening. Maybe I'll finally get some video games in! Or wait, probably not, I have food to cook......

I just realized this second that I forgot to do my squats after running on the treadmill on Saturday... I'm not used to having other things to do after running, but I think I like it better doing run/legs on one day and the rest on the other. I haven't done it consistently enough to fully tell if it's better, but it feels that way so far. I may have to paste a reminder up on my TV...

• Like 1

Oh my god, thank you Obax!  I also cannot edit and you just made me feel better about it too.  Like, ok, it's not just me.   And I wanted to edit because the spacing on a post was off lol... so my OCD is all.   RARRR!

I agree with the others that sleep over stretching was probably a good plan.  And ugh on the crud you are fighting off.   

Two Week Tuesday

Got up on time, but then procrastinated a bit on doing my workout. I had time for all but the rows, which I did after I got home from work.

Pushups - 20 + 10x2

Bridge hold - 3x120s

Hollow - 3x35s

Rows - 3x10

For the pushups, I seem to be stuck at 20 for that first set. I'm not finding this mini-set method to be overly taxing, however, which maybe means I'm not doing enough mini-sets, I dunno. But I think I'll try adding 1 pushup in that first set in each session (or maybe ever other, I'll have to see how I feel) and then keeping the same number of mini-sets after, see if that helps at all. My OCD for nice round numbers will just have to sulk for a while...

• Like 1

Numbers OCD.    I so grok that.      If I have a thing that's 3 x amrap, and I do 24, 22, and I am tired at 17 on the last set, you better believe it I am gonna grunt and strain and cry to get to 20.

Numbers OCD.    I so grok that.      If I have a thing that's 3 x amrap, and I do 24, 22, and I am tired at 17 on the last set, you better believe it I am gonna grunt and strain and cry to get to 20.

I like multiples of 5. So if I make it past 15, it doesn't feel right if I stop before 20. Some of my physio exercises, he recommended to increase from 10 to 12 as I progressed, and while I recognized that jumping from 10 to 15 was a huge jump and not doable, I really wasn't happy about the number 12.........

Two Week Wednesday

Nothing, as planned, had an appointment in the morning and volunteered all night. It was a busy volunteer shift and I was exhausted after I got home, and didn't have it in my to even stretch, but then once I was in bed my brain was like 'nope', so I also missed my modified bedtime, and slept like crap once I did fall asleep......

Two Week Thursday

I made poor choices regarding my strength stuff. I was quite achy and tired this morning, so didn't do it then. I told myself I would do it after my meeting tonight, but in retrospect I don't think I really believed that would happen. I got home from the meeting earlier than I thought I would, and by the time I go in and had dinner, I knew it wasn't going to happen....

Did my physio, mobility and stretching. I've really fallen behind on this, I just realized I haven't done it at all this week.... My get up times have been good all week, but I've missed two bedtimes. I really can't believe that the getting up earlier and on time is the goal I'm doing best at...

News on the new job front: I have an interview next Thursday, but they picked the absolutely most inconvenient time of the day. They just emailed me and said 'be here at this time', it would've been nice if there was a bit of consultation, 'cuz people gotta work, but it is what it is. I'm hoping a coworker can help me out and switch a shift with me, otherwise I'll have to rush straight from work, change into nice clothes, do the interview, change back and rush back to work on an extended lunch break, with really no time to actually have lunch... I know my coworker will help me out if she's able, I'm just really hoping she's able...

The Count

R ~ 4/12

P ~ 4/12

S ~ 5/28

M ~ 1/4

G ~ 11/28

N ~ 7/28

C ~ 1/1

T ~ 1/4

L ~ 0/4

• Like 1

Oof.  Gotta love interviews like that.     But good luck with it!      And hey, if you're doing good at the get ups, then count it for the win it is!  I mean, it's like getting part a done, and then moving on to work on part b. :D

Two Week Friday

Strength stuff in the AM to make up for poor decisions on Thursday. I did a bit of procrastinating again and didn't have time for rows, then completely forgot to do them in the evening...

Pushups - 21+10x2

Bridge hold - 3x120s

Hollow - 3x35s

Ran in the PM. My legs, specifically calves and feet, were very tired and achy. I had a bit of a nap after work, then decided, despite the beautiful evening, to run on the treadmill. I knocked the magnetic key out at about 1.4mi, so I had a drink and did another 1.1mi, but I have no idea what my time was. It'd be the same as last time, I ran at the same speed, so somewhere around 23 minutes.

Stretched, but none of the other stuff. I've been finding some of the mobility to be hard on my parts, especially the wrist stuff, so I think I'm going to change my plan a bit on this. I'll do the full physio/mobility/stretching every other day (ish), and just stretching the others. Hopefully I can sync up the days I do the strength stuff in the morning and the days I do the full stuff, but that's not always going to work. I'll try this for the next 2 weeks and see if my parts feel any better about it.

Get up was good, bedtime was good.

• Like 2

Two Week Saturday

My legs are still feeling quite fatigued today, even my quads, which I didn't even really work yesterday. My feet feel better after being mushed yesterday, though my right one feels like it might like to cramp up on the whim of a hat. Between that, and the anticipation of a ~5k geocaching hike today, I decided to run only 2k, which I did in 10:30 (2 seconds slower than last time, but considerably better than I was expecting considering my fatigue).

I've decided to only do the rows I forgot about yesterday, I've been finding that my strength stuff aggravates some of the muscles in my rotator cuff (I don't know which ones, but they're towards the bottom and outside of my shoulder blade), which are more cranky than usual since my shoulder injury, and make for an uncomfortable day. As such, strength stuff 2 days in a row is something I'm choosing not to do, which means if I miss a strength day, then I just miss it. If I can get my cranky muscles to cheer up a bit, I might reconsider this, but I spent all day yesterday with achiness and discomfort I haven't felt since the early days of my injury, and I don't particularly want a repeat today.

Physio etc. will occur at some point. I have a variety of things going on today, none of which have a set time, so it might have to be squeezed in here and there, which, given the nature of all the things I do, is fine. Same goes for my weekly tidying, I procured a Swiffer duster, so all I have to do is swish swish (at least, according to the ads, that's all I have to do...), then a quick vacuum, and I've satisfied the T count. I also finally remembered to do a learning forum, which means I have a count of 1 for the L! I'd like to do another one today, but if that doesn't happen it's not a big deal.

I've updated The Count with what I've done up to the point this is posted, and if I get all the other things done that I want to today, I'll update it later with that.

The Count

R ~ 6/12

P ~ 5/12

S ~ 6/28

M ~ 1/4

G ~ 13/28

N ~ 9/28

C ~ 1/1

T ~ 1/4

L ~ 1/4

• Like 1

Two Week Sum-Up

Some things good, some things ok, some things.... well.....

Good things: get up time (this still surprises me), runs. I did laze a bit on the weekend days, but I think I've decided I'm ok with this, I don't every have anything time-sensitive on weekend mornings, and giving in to 30 minutes of beditating on weekends might help me avoid it on weekdays. The regularity of my bedtimes is, I think, helping me feel not so groggy in the morning and allowing me to beditate without falling back to sleep. My runs were a little uneven in terms of timing, but I went 3 times and put in decent effort each time.

Ok things: bedtime, strength stuff. I missed a couple of bed times, and only one was excusable (it's impossible for me to get to bed at 11 when I volunteer at night). I missed one strength workout due to lack of motivation, and I decided my shoulder area would be better served by skipping rather than doubling up 2 days in a row.

Well....... things: stretching/physio/mobility. I missed 3 (4?) completely and most of the rest were a little lackluster. I did decide that the physio/mobility stuff might be better every other day rather than every day, but that was after I'd missed 2 in a row, so I can't use that as an excuse.

A challenge I'm having (solution included): remembering to do the squats on run days, I'm just so used to the run being the last thing I need to worry about other than stretching. I think I might just leave these out for now, the reason I was doing them in the first place was to help with my quad endurance for the PREP, but that seems to be developing on its own without me remembering to do the squats very often. I think the hills and the practices are combining to make that come along, once I'm done with the test I'll consider putting the squats back in.

Three Week Schedule

Sunday - strength (pm)

Monday - PREP practice (run)

Tuesday - strength (am)

Wednesday - nadda

Thursday - run + strength (and job interview!)

Friday - nadda

Saturday - run

So I'm choosing ahead of time to double up on Thursday. The reason is, the 'nadda' on Wednesday is becasue I don't want to do strength 2 days in a row and I'm busy in the evening, so no run that day. I've taken Thursday off of work, so I'll have lots of time and be nice and rested to get both things in (I'll do the strength in the morning before the interview, then run in the afternoon after). Friday I've got nothing going on, and by the end of the week I often lack motivation to do things Friday after work and really have to force it or do a partial cop-out so that I don't do nothing. So Friday really will be a day of nothing and I will enjoy it, and if I somehow feel motivated I can still run and do nothing on Saturday instead.

• Like 2

Three Week Sunday

Strength stuff, which I decided at the last second, so it put my past my bed time. I was originally planning to spend some time mushing, and do my full physio/mobility/stretching, but after looking at the upcoming week it made more sense to work out today and take other days off (part need, part desire).

Pushups - 22 + 10x2 (hard today)

Hollow - 3x35s (these were really hard for some reason)

Bridge hold - 3x120s

Rows - 3x10 (figured out how to make them harder)

I was in desperate need of mushing, so I decided to take the time to do that properly and go past my bedtime. I stretched thoroughly after, but didn't do the physio/mobility. I'll have to do it tomorrow, maybe I can squeeze some of it in on my lunch break (though I also planned to cook tomorrow evening, so depending on what time I get home from the PREP practice, that may have to take precedence. We'll see...) I'll push my get up time back by an hour to compensate for the later bedtime, I have no real need to be up early tomorrow other than to stick to my goal, so as long as I get up without lazing, I'll still call this good.

Intended to tidy today, but the last minute decision nixed that. I'll probably have some time Tuesday evening, I have a chiropractic appointment so I'll only be stretching that night.

• Like 1