• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

obax

obax - just keep swimming

On 3/29/2016 at 4:05 PM, Mad Hatter said:

I love the idea of morning workouts, but it just takes time for me to warm up and feel strong/coordinated/flexy/whatever. I wonder that if with regular "trying" you'll get used to it?

That's me with running - the idea of an early morning run sounds great, but getting out of bed is so hard! I did it for rugby when I was in school, and I can do it for strength training, but I don't love running enough to get myself out of my nice cozy bed!

11 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I find for running it helps me to breathe in and out on the same foot, I use the left one. Even when sprinting I still focus on left-strike in, left-strike out.

I second this - I find in on one foot and out on the other makes me crampy/side-stitchy

4 hours ago, obax said:

I need to pay better attention to the time in the evenings. I seem to naturally know when midnight is approaching, because that's been my usual bed time,

Me too! I find that I come home from work and then suddenly it's 8pm or later and I have no idea where the time went! And then I have to start doing all the things I probably should have done when I got home, and then I'm up late... If you find a trick to this let me know!

6 hours ago, obax said:

smell the smell that all rinks have (probably a mix of refrigerant, propane exhaust, and stale sweat, so I don't really know why it's one of my favourites, but there you have it).

It's the same with me and climbing gyms. The smell of chalk, shoe rubber and sweaty gym mats is just a promise of a good time. :)

Congrats on the win! What an awesome way to end the season!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, obax said:

Lesson 2 is that I really, really need to get up right away when my alarm goes off, I can't be trusted to beditate even for a second. This will be a challenge on all days, but especially on weekends, since I really do love to beditate and I have the time for it on a weekend... I think making early morning dates will be helpful for that, but I'll have to find others willing to do whatever with me, because I will totally shirk a date with myself in favour of beditation...

Beditate is the word I didn't even know I was looking for :D

That basically sums up the issues I've been having with regards to getting up in the morning. It's been absent this week, I've actually been getting up with my slightly crazy 4:30am alarm, but I don't know how long it'll last before the draw of beditation lulls me in again. Making morning plans with others seems like a sound idea, might have to try it...

• Like 1

I have a lot of friends and colleges who work as police officers, so I know how had it can be to get into it! I skimmed through you posts just now, and didn't see any mention of where you currently work. That said, have you thought about working as a CO for a correctional facility first? Around my part of the country that is one of the few ways to actually get into the police force from what I have heard.

On the topic of running. I saw some people talking about breathing in and out on the same foot. What I do is I breath in slowly over the course of four footfalls (two left, two right). Then I do the same breathing out. Sometimes its all about slowing your breathing down. 

You can also work on 'box breathing' when you aren't running (driving, doing chores, ect.) You breath in for four seconds, hold your breath for four, out four, hold four, ect. 

I hope not too much of that was repeated from stuff you have already heard. I will be continuing to follow, and wish you luck! 

5 hours ago, Polgara19 said:

OMG!  Beditation!  That is so the word!!!!

5 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Beditate is the word I didn't even know I was looking for :D

It's a good word. You can thank the CBC for that one, I'm not quite that inventive, but everyone knows exactly what I mean when I use it.

5 hours ago, WorldSparrow said:

I have a lot of friends and colleges who work as police officers, so I know how had it can be to get into it! I skimmed through you posts just now, and didn't see any mention of where you currently work. That said, have you thought about working as a CO for a correctional facility first? Around my part of the country that is one of the few ways to actually get into the police force from what I have heard.

On the topic of running. I saw some people talking about breathing in and out on the same foot. What I do is I breath in slowly over the course of four footfalls (two left, two right). Then I do the same breathing out. Sometimes its all about slowing your breathing down. 

You can also work on 'box breathing' when you aren't running (driving, doing chores, ect.) You breath in for four seconds, hold your breath for four, out four, hold four, ect. 

I hope not too much of that was repeated from stuff you have already heard. I will be continuing to follow, and wish you luck! 

Welcome!!

I'm probably going to apply for an Animal Control job that just got posted, which includes some bylaw enforcement, which I think will add to my resume. I'm not particularly interesting in taking the corrections path into policing, to be honest...

I think I take breaths in and out over 2 or 3 steps too when I'm running, depends on how fast I'm going.

• Like 1

Oh yes, by no means was I saying that it would be a nice job to have. I think that because it stinks is why it is considered a good way to show your worth and dedication to becoming a police officer.

Animal control sounds like a good idea though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Corrections is not a fun place to work. I interviewed for a prison chaplain job once, I was already iffy, then they gave me a facility tour. After the tour I noped the heck out of that one.

This is why I'm not personally very interested in taking that particular path. I have a friend who used to work in corrections, he couldn't handle it and got out of it fairly quick-like. I really want to be the kind of cop who can come into contact with people before they're embroiled in the corrections system and hopefully help them find a different path if they want to. If I can be the right person in the right place at the right time for just one person who wants to make a change, then I will consider my career a success. That's not to say that I couldn't give a hand up to someone within the system, but I don't think it's a particularly common or easy thing to do at that point, and I'm not sure a corrections officer would be the best position from which to do it.

7 minutes ago, WorldSparrow said:

Oh yes, by no means was I saying that it would be a nice job to have. I think that because it stinks is why it is considered a good way to show your worth and dedication to becoming a police officer.

Animal control sounds like a good idea though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a valid path to take, and I've met a few people who are trying it. If it works for them, great, but it's not for me. I like the idea of the Animal Control job, I did it before for a few months, and working with animals is something I enjoy a lot, especially wildlife. I also enjoy educating people about human-animal interaction and cohabitation, so I think it'll be a good way to combine some good work experience with something that's actually a passion of mine.

• Like 2

Zero Week Saturday

My body decided to help me out with my early morning goal by waking me up at 6:45am and not letting me get back to sleep after. I was unimpressed, to say the least. So I'm fairly tired today...

Got some stuff at the market. Some is good for me, some not so much, but I will thoroughly enjoy all of it.

Ran. I was planning to go on the treadmill, since the weather this morning was distinctly unpleasant. Since I hate the treadmill so much, I procrastinated after I got home from the market, and lo and behold, the wind died down, the snow stopped and the sun came out. But by then it was time for a dog walk, so I walked him and hoped the weather would hold. It clouded over, but the wind and snow stayed away, so I got myself ready to go, and lo and behold, as soon as I opened the door, it started to snow...........

monkey.jpg

(Me, when I saw the snow, except I'm a little less furry)

The wind was not nearly as bad as this morning, but the snow kept poking me in the eyes and flinging itself into my airway (I actually cursed at one point, I was so annoyed, and a lady walking her dog looked at me funny), so I only did 2k. I told myself I could finish it on the treadmill if I picked it up for the last ~300m, and I did. My 2k time was 10:38, 11 seconds faster than last time. I generally stay away from checking my split times, when I would do it in the past I was always slower than I thought I should be and found it demotivating, but I think I might start trying to remember my 2k times at the 1/2 way point, just for reference. The total distance I have to run for the shuttle is less than 2k, so there's value in that time. The second loop is more for general endurance than it is for the shuttle specifically. If only my watch would record split times, I don't know if I trust my running-brain to remember these things...

Treadmill: 1.25 mi (2.01k) at 6.2mph (9.9kph) for a time of ~12:05, so slow compared to outside, but I also think my loop is not exactly 2k, and the 6.2mph pace felt like a pretty easy one to sustain (progress! 6.2 used to be hard to sustain!) Now my heel and knee hurt, I heel strike so bad on the treadmill...... (please see the above monkey face for my feelings on this).

Oh, and for the record, my inhale-exhale cycle takes 3 steps, so my inhale alternates between left and right. I take 2 steps to inhale and 1 to exhale. This gets all messed up as soon as I throw a hill into the mix, but I definitely noticed this when I was maintaining an even pace on the treadmill.

Squats will come after dinner, they're a good thing to do while watching hockey or something, it distracts me from how tired my legs are, along with some room cleaning (I at least want to get my laundry put away tonight). Gonna try to mush some things too, specifically my plantar fascia and its -itis (please reference the monkey face again).

• Like 4

Week 1 Schedule

Sunday - off (changed from original plan)

Monday - PREP practice (=run)

Tuesday - strength stuff AM

Wednesday - run

Thursday - strength stuff AM

Friday - run

Saturday - strength stuff

Week 1 Sunday

I'm officially starting my challenge today, I have always had a hard time wrapping my head around a week being Monday-Sunday instead of Sunday-Saturday, and it'll make it a full 28 day challenge.

I'm so, so tired today, and sore all over, especially my back. Went for a geocaching walk this afternoon in the hopes it'd loosen things up, and as I was going I felt fine, but I'm even more sore now that I'm home. I don't know what I did yesterday that would have aggravated my hips/back *frown*

I planned last week for this to be a strength day, and I planned for that during today too, though considering how I felt I really didn't want to. But then I decided I didn't want to wait to apply to a job (not a police job, an animal control job in my city, which will pay better than my current job (I hope) and has some bylaw enforcement, so will look good on a police resume), so I sat down and wrote a cover letter and redid my resume for the job. It's now all sealed in its envelope and ready to be mailed tomorrow. I could have done my strength stuff tonight, and done all the job stuff Wednesday, the deadline for application isn't until the end of the week, but I just decided I wanted to get it done now, I hate having things like that hanging over my head, I actually feel more nervous when I've planned to do something like that but haven't done it than when I get it done and sent.

That said, this is one full week, so I rescheduled my week to include my decision today, and I should have time before bed to get most of my physio/mobility in (I did).

Got all my laundry cleaned and put away, except for some stray socks that don't have partners (there are at least 2 that I think should have partners, and one that I'm mad that I can't find the partner, they were expensive and are among my favourite socks). I didn't get any of that done yesterday as I'd wanted, I cooked a shepherd's pie last night and the recipe said it'd take X amount of time but it really ended up taking 2X amount of time, and once it was in the oven, I prioritized stretching over laundry, since I'd have to go straight to bed after the food was done. But on the plus side, I have a tasty shepherd's pie with sweet potato to eat for lunches next week!

The Count

R ~ 0/12

P ~ 0/12

S ~ 1/28

M ~ 0/4

G ~ 1/28

N ~ 1/28

C ~ 0/1<-- I will give myself a 1/1 if I can get this finished by the end of week one, now that laundry's done it's just little bits here and there

T ~ 0/4

L ~ 0/4

• Like 2

I hate when recipe prep time ends up taking longer than prescribed! Sounds like you've got a delicious meal all ready for consumption though :D

20 hours ago, Raxie said:

I hate when recipe prep time ends up taking longer than prescribed! Sounds like you've got a delicious meal all ready for consumption though :D

It is delicious! It turned out much better than I thought it would, and I had a fairly high expectations to begin with.

• Like 1

One Week Monday

PREP practice, and it went well. I got 2:28 on the circuit, which is 9 seconds under the cutoff time and my best time yet. I'd like to knock at least 5 seconds off that to feel really good about it, but I was really happy with that time. My legs were tired after, as usual, but not as much as they have been in the past, so I was hopeful for the run. I got level 6 on the run, and cardio-wise probably could have made 6.5, but my left quad was just done. That's still the best I've done since I've started practicing again, and represents more progress. I would've liked to do better than 6, but I'm still fairly happy with the result.

My get up time was good. I lazed for about 10 minutes, which is not perfect but an improvement, so I'm calling it good. Did all my physio/mobility/stretching when I got home. I did not make my bedtime by a long shot, but I'm calling this an allowed variance. It was the gold medal game in the World Women's Hockey Championship, Canada-US. I told myself I wasn't going to let myself get sucked in, but c'mon, it's Canada-US! Sadly, Canada did not prevail, but it was a really good game. Both goalies played amazing, and the Canadian goalie is only 21, so it bodes well for the future.

Random life accomplishment: mailed in my application for the Animal Control job. Keep your fingers crossed for me, y'all!

One Week Tuesday (so far)

Woke up this morning feeling like absolute crap. My chest is all scratchy and coughing, and my head is stuffed. I blame my boss. I'm really not happy about being sick, I'm hoping this is the worst it gets and it's just a few days (usually that's how it goes, but I haven't had a doozy this year at all, so I might be due). Because of this, and my late night, I just couldn't get it going for strength stuff this morning. Every time I started to, I was just like 'Ungh...........' and ended up laying on the mat instead.

Volunteering tonight, so I won't be able to make it up tonight. This also means I won't make my 11pm bedtime, since the volunteering shift goes 'til 11pm, but that can't be helped and I won't penalize myself for that, as long as I'm in bed by midnight it's still good.

Get up time was good, only lazed 5 minutes despite feeling like crap.

New Week 1 Schedule

Wednesday - strength (am)

Thursday - run

Friday - strength (am)

Saturday - strength (am), run

I don't like the back to back strength days, nor the doubling up (especially because I have a massage that day, I'm going to get the strength in before), but that's what I get for not sucking it up today...

The Count

R ~ 1/12

P ~ 0/12

S ~ 2/28

M ~ 1/4

G ~ 3/28

N ~ 2/28

C ~ 0/1<-- I will give myself a 1/1 if I can get this finished by the end of week one, now that laundry's done it's just little bits here and there

T ~ 0/4

L ~ 0/4

• Like 1

Motivational video for the day:

Yes, it's an ad, it doesn't so much make me want to open a line of credit as it does make me want to push through my set-backs and disappointments and lack of motivation to achieve my someday. I like it especially because Carey Price and Marie-Philip Poulin are two of my biggest hockey heroes, and Tyler McGregor could quickly become one, if TSN would just show more sledge hockey.

(For any non-Canadians who don't get my reference, this is an ad for a bank).

• Like 2

Omg Obax.    Goosebumps.  Damnit, Canadians get hockey commercials Soooooooo right.   And since this week I go back to playing 2x a week... co-ed organized rat with friends and co-ed summer league D1 at the rink... I totally needed to see this!

Thanks chica!

Good job with the PREP practice!  And also great job with mailing that job application!  I hope you start feeling better soon, and I think skipping your strength workout is a wise decision when you're sick.  

12 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

USA and Canada, two bestest of friends, except when national teams play each other in hockey, in which case the aggression is roughly equivalent to thermo-nuclear war.

Exactly. And in the women's game, it's always been Canada-US for the gold medal game, since the beginning of the tournament, so it's a long, long rivalry.

11 hours ago, Polgara19 said:

That's great improvement on the PREP practice! Awesome job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I was feeling really good about it on my drive home, until then I was kind of doubting, but now I really feel like this is doable and I'll get there soon.

11 hours ago, Nymeria said:

Good job with the PREP practice!  And also great job with mailing that job application!  I hope you start feeling better soon, and I think skipping your strength workout is a wise decision when you're sick.  

Thanks!

I just kind of sucks that, when I'm all rarin' to go to get a strong start to the challenge, that's right when my immune system decides to throw me for a loop. 'Tis life, though, and I can just keep swimming while coughing at the same time...

12 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Omg Obax.    Goosebumps.  Damnit, Canadians get hockey commercials Soooooooo right.   And since this week I go back to playing 2x a week... co-ed organized rat with friends and co-ed summer league D1 at the rink... I totally needed to see this!

Thanks chica!

You are correct, Canadian companies tug on our hockey heartstrings very effectively. I frequently get a little teary at ads involving hockey, while also recognizing it's an ad trying to get me to buy things. There are a lot of good ones, but this is one of the best, and it kinda gets me every time. I've been watching it a lot lately, and it really is true, the great ones aren't the ones who never fail, they're the ones who take a failure and learn from it and come back better and stronger.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Damnit, Canadians get hockey commercials

We do too! I saw a commercial the other day where a parent was bringing a child to hockey practice.  That counts, right?!

...OK maybe not.

But maybe it's for the best not being interested in a lot of the cultural references in American commercials.  They work less well on me in that case haha

• Like 1

One Week Wednesday

Got home from volunteering last night and was absolutely exhausted, so I did none of the things and just fell into bed, where I then proceeded to not fall asleep in a timely manner. Stupid brain...

Feeling a bit better today, I can still feel a little something in my throat but not so much in my chest. To celebrate, my stomach decided to not be so happy with food being in it (just minor blah, not serious sickness, but still...) Gave into the blah in the morning and lay on the couch, but I did my strength stuff after dinner.

Pushups - 20+10x2

Supermans - 75s, 2x80s

Hollow - 3x35s

Rows - 3x10 (this is boarding on easy, time to change the height I think)

Did all my physio/mobility/stretching. Lazed a bit this morning (see above comment about blahs) but only about 10 minutes. For week one, this is definite progress, I'm going to start being a little stricter with the lazing come week 2.

Run tomorrow.

The Count

R ~ 1/12

P ~ 1/12

S ~ 3/28

M ~ 1/4

G ~ 4/28

N ~ 3/28

T ~ 0/4

L ~ 0/4

• Like 1

I have a feeling the weather by you is playing the same cat and mouse game as ours, and man if I don't think that plays into our energy levels.   Been cold, grey and snowy all week - and despite decent effort, my mood and motivation is blah and my energy is non-existent.

And then there's just the listening to the body sometimes.  Exhaustion is exhaustion.   I had that yesterday and took a hard REST day.    

We got this!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

I just realized that I haven't been following this glorious thread!

Welcome! I'll have to pop over to the old digs and check out your thread too!

I have a feeling the weather by you is playing the same cat and mouse game as ours, and man if I don't think that plays into our energy levels.   Been cold, grey and snowy all week - and despite decent effort, my mood and motivation is blah and my energy is non-existent.

And then there's just the listening to the body sometimes.  Exhaustion is exhaustion.   I had that yesterday and took a hard REST day.    

We got this!

giphy.gif

Ya, I feel like your weather moves into my part of the world a couple of days after you experience it, so at least I have some forewarning.... We all need hard rest days every now and then, ain't nuthin' wrong when taking one when you need it!

I really want to celebrate a goal like that. I also want to know the context of that gif, because I feel like it's a tad excessive even for the pros...