Phayze Accepts an Apprenticeship as an Airbender! [RESPAWN!]

Phayze

TL;DNR

-Creative Activities: 10min(+) 3x/week

-Qi-Gong: 20 min 2x/week 

-Movement Training: 10 min 3x/week 

-"Mindful Coffee" 2x/Day 

-Formal Meditation 10min 5x/week

Details, amusing Avatar images, and some faux-lisophical rambling to be found....

HERE:

Once upon a time, Avatar Korra went and borked the wall between the Spirit World with the Physical, and the resulting cosmic backlash caused a bunch of hapless nobodies to wake up one morning with the potential to be Airbenders.

Hi!  I'm a hapless nobody.  ^^;

latest?cb=20140726180415

So here's a little story about me...  I've been struggling for a long time with what I've perceived as "weakness"; I tried so hard for so long to overcome it by brute force and sheer, hot-blooded willpower that I crashed and burned so often that by the time I learned that I had to accept it, it was too late to come up with a plan to achieve my goals by working around it.

The worst part is that I don't even know what this "weakness" is.  Am I sick?  Am I broken?  Am I just a wuss?  I don't know and neither does my doctor.  Maybe it's all in my head...

MPNADD4.jpg

The simple fact of the matter is that my physical ability to recover from hard work has gotten progressively worse for the past year or so.  I took a long break from taxing activities (read: spent way too much time playing video games), then came back with a plan to just do some simple "loaded yoga" mobility work to get things loose again; I needed two weeks to recover from a low-intensity 10 minute session with a 10 pound dumbbell.  ><

That's pretty depressing, but a wise man once said:

3309c4fa4da3009d7c3e2f49ea1937e2.jpg

In other words:  Wangsting over whatever the hell is wrong with me isn't going to get anything done, so it's time to start from scratch.  As in: The Beginning.  Level ZERO.  Ground floor, y'all, perfumery, stationery and leather goods, wigs and haberdashery, kitchenware and food...going UP!

That's right, it's respawn time, boys and girls, and getting to come back as a Neophyte Airbender means that Uncle Phayze just won the cosmic lotto!  Adjusting to the monastic life is going to be tough, but it'll all be worth it when I get my rad arrow tats and I'm cruisin' the world on my pimped out flying bison.  ^^

All that's a long way off, though...

Master Tenzin says "in order to realize your potential you must strengthen and unify the three  disparate aspect of self into a single essence - only then can you find peace withing yourself and become truly free... like the air."

Mind (CHA+3)

tumblr_n7bc7qp4gP1r524wao2_500.png

The mind must be open to exploration and creativity in order to seek it's own way on the path to freedom.

-Creative Activities: 10min(+) 3x/week (Make time for LEGO, writing, etc.)

Body (STA+3, DEX+3)

[http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Be+the+leaf_8ae8a1_3603011.gif]

The air moves through the world unhindered by limits or boundaries.  The path to freedom opens to those similarly unrestrained.

-Qi-Gong: 20 min 2x/week (follow-along DVD sessions)

-Movement Training: 10 min 3x/week (pretty much any unloaded, low intensity activity works, but I found a video of a Baguazhan kata that I'm going to try to focus on learning)

Spirit (WIS+3, CON+3)

1cd0e7a9e9e3c5f6ed5697ca954d08a7.jpg

A restless spirit is forever caged by chaos and disorder - the path to freedom opens for those who have found stillness within.

-"Mindful Coffee" 2x/Day (sink in and mindfully experience any mundane task)

-Formal Meditation 10min 5x/week (using techniques from "The Mindful Geek" - it's amazing, you should read it.)

Why I've decided to Respawn:

I've been doing a lot of reflecting since I took my hiatus from The Rebellion last Fall, and it's done me a lot of good to put everything in perspective.  The biggest revelation I came to was that I've been telling the wrong story for too long.  There's always been a part of me that wants to be the mighty hero, crying manful tears and plowing through insurmountable obstacles on sheer force of will - I love those kinds of characters in fiction (they're why I watch anime!), and they filled me with a desire to kick reason to the curb and do the impossible...

But that's not really me, you know?  In any Five Man Band that'd have me, I'd be the Smart Guy, not the Lancer.  In real life, I'm the academic type that tries to work smarter, not harder.  I remember one day in a previous job that I spent 8 hours trying to come up with a faster and easier way to do a task that would have only taken 1 hour to complete (I succeeded, btw, which made doing that task waaay easier for the rest of my career there).

I've made this mistake in RPG's, and should have known better (I'm looking at YOU Super Robot Wars... >>): I put all of my resources into compensating for weaknesses instead of capitalizing on strengths.  It works for a while, but it's not sustainable, and by the time a late-game boss shows up, the fight is over before it even begins.

During my first playthrough with The Rebellion I had lost track of where my natural strengths lie, and worked too hard to level up in a Class that wasn't in harmony with my Racial Stats.  Who builds an Elven Berserker or an Orcish Bard, right?

This probably sounds like I'm being negative, or defeatist or something, but I'm really not... not any more at least.  I was kind of bummed when I had to accept that I'm not cut out to be the Hotblooded Idiot Hero, but letting go of my attachment to that idea set me free to better understand what kind of character I really am!  I've gained as much as I've lost, and all experience is good experience, even if the story it tells doesn't have a happy ending.

So, all of that is just a really long-winded way of explaining why I decided to come back to The Rebellion as a simple monastic.  The Air Nomads are scholars and sages that seek freedom from attachments that bind their spirits and limit their options, they cultivate wisdom and peace, avoid conflict, and curiously explore for knowledge wherever it can be found.  Sure, they're badass gravity defying kungfu wizards, but that's just a side effect!  The body goes where the mind leads, and the mind leads best when it's free to explore and not obsessively attached to striving toward a set destination.  Eventually, I'm sure I'll get back into stuff like strength training and handbalancing and breakdancing, but even with those doors closed to me for now, many more are still open.  I need to focus on letting my body recover and letting my mind explore.  There are so many fascinating disciplines and practices out there to play with, and I want to try to them all!  This is the start of a new and exciting story for me, and I want to keep my brains open to as many possibilities as I can.

Let's get monastic!

• Like 3

Level 0 Air Nomad Assassin
STR: 0 STA: 0 DEX: 0 CON: 0 WIS: 0 CHA: 0

Current Challenge: [Url= http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/80570-phayze-accepts-an-apprenticeship-as-an-airbender-respawn/]Apprentice Airbender![/url]

Check Out My LEGO Stuff on Flickr!
"The next golden age of human achievement begins here and now" -Neil Degrasse Tyson, Cosmos

And I'll celebrate my triumphant return to the Rebellion with a double post!! Whoo! ^^;

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Current Challenge: [Url= http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/80570-phayze-accepts-an-apprenticeship-as-an-airbender-respawn/]Apprentice Airbender![/url]

"The next golden age of human achievement begins here and now" -Neil Degrasse Tyson, Cosmos

Mate! You are inspiring!

I know the feeling of not being able to push through things through sheer force. I was like that as well. I also had to respawn in the last challenge. But it's ok, you know? you get a brand new perspective, and everything seems new again. Even know I'm still at the phase of working out the amount of effort my quests need to be, because I can't make them super hard, nor super mundane. It's hard man :( but it's ok, because I know I'll get it sometime soon :D Going to be stalking you around if that's ok!

• Like 1

Race: Half-Elf          Class: Warrior-Assassin

Level: 0                     Last Challenge:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
STR: x | CON: x | DEX: x | INT: x | WIS: x | CHA: x |

"[I am] the spark that will light the flame of the Rebellion"

Thanks, Loke! I don't feel very inspiring, but it's good to know that I'm not in this boat alone. ^^

I'm not sure what I can handle yet either, so I'm starting super gentle, then I'll just wait and see what happens next. Be the leaf!

• Like 1

Week 0 Progress Update!

-Creative Activities: 2/3! Finally finished some LEGO projects that I've been neglecting in LDD, and started on a new one! ^^

-Qi-Gong: 1/2! Very invigorating!

-Movement Training: 1/3! Dusted off my rope dart for some gentle spinning. Daaaamn, I'm rusty! ^^;

-Mindful Coffee: 4/14! On track.

-Formal Meditation: 2/5! Also on track. Both of these were the "Focus on Relaxation" exercise from "The Mindful Geek" (did I mention how awesome that book is? You should read it.)

• Like 1

Welcome back, Unk! I like your perspective and view on resource allocation for strengths over weakness.

Following along!

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Following because I am of the Fire Nation!

sABHbXw89CkMM.gif

Level 5 Daemon Assassin

Strength - 8.4 | Dexterity  - 6.3 | Stamina  - 7.4 | Constitution  - 7 | Wisdom - 8.5 | Charisma - 7.2

Champion of House Targaryen

Current Challenge

1 | 2 | 3 | 4

"Sometimes glass glitters more than diamonds because it has more to prove."

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom."
- Terry Pratchett

Hi, T! Good to be back. ^^

___

Nice to see you here Eve! I'm into the progressive, inclusive Republic City vibe, so Fire Nationals are welcome! ^^

Week 0 Complete!

-Creative Activities: 3(+)/3!

-Qi-Gong: 2/2!

-Movement Training: 2/2!

-Mindful Coffee: 12/12!

-Formal Meditation: 4/4!

Not bad! I forgot when I posted my mid-week progress update that last Sunday was a holiday, so I didn't actually start the challenge until Monday. These numbers won't punish me for that. ^^

Week 1 Update!

-Qi-Gong: 1/2!

-Movement Training: 3/3!

-Mindful Coffee: 8/12!

-Formal Meditation: 2/4!

I missed a couple of meditation sessions because I spent too much time playing with LEGOs creating art and missed my chance. :/ I'll have to watch that...

Hey, speaking of LEGO... guess who just got tapped by the editor of BrickJournal concerning possible inclusion in an upcoming Mecha-Themed issue! WRONG, it was me! I still feel like such a noob on the AFOL scene, it's a real thrill to think of getting my stuff in front of so many new eyeballs. I have a bunch of followers on Flickr, but it's always the same few guys who ever Fave anything (and I almost never get comments). I don't really have any details about what/when/etc., but I'm stoked!

I need to build more stuff!!!

• Like 1

Week 1 Completed!

-Qi-Gong: 2/2!

-Movement Training: 3/3!

-Mindful Coffee: 14/14!

-Formal Meditation: 3/5!

Okay, so I didn't do so great with the zazen thing, but that's OK! I'm tempted to kick myself in the butt for letting this habit slip in the first place, but I'm going to resist that and just focus on getting it done today.

Everything else if going really well. I'm enjoying the Qi Gong - it's a fun combination of joint mobility, meditation, and breath training (all things I like!) with the added bonus of being gentle enough to be refreshing instead of tiring.

The movement days haven't settled into anything specific yet - I've learned some Bagua circle walking techniques from a Youtube video, played with my rope dart, and improvised a yoga flow, which was all very enjoyable. ^^

Mindful Coffee is a total misnomer, since I hardly ever drink coffee anymore, but I'm really seeing this "mindfulness of the now" thing emerge as a habit more and more. I know I'm doing it more than twice per day, but I'm only counting times that I do it intentionally. Does it count as being mindful if you aren't aware that you're doing it mindfully? o0 Quick, somebody call the Dali Lama!

Week 2 Update:

-Creative Activities: 1/3

-Qi-Gong: 1/2

-Movement Training: 1/3

-Mindful Coffee: 4/14

-Formal Meditation: 2/5

All on track for this week, and I intend to keep it there!

I answered a handful of general personal questions for the editor of Brickjournal, and I got some more builds of the sort that he's interested in posted to Flickr, so now I just need to stop obsessively refresh-monkeying gmail while I wait for him to get back with me again....

Week 2 Completed!:

-Creative Activities: 3/3

-Qi-Gong: 2/2

-Movement Training: 3/3

-Mindful Coffee: 14/14

-Formal Meditation: 3/5

Two things jump out here:

1) I need to stop skipping meditation. Science has shown that it's good for, like, everything and I have no good excuse for not setting aside 10 minutes to do nothing. Resolve: Hardened!

2) I need to be more active on the forums... ^^;

Starting Week 3 in a slump, I'm afraid. I spent Saturday setting fence posts (posthole digger + 4x4 + 80# bags of concrete = PAIN), and even though there were only three of them it was still the most taxing activity I've done in months. I'm feeling pretty tired and stiff today, but it's not as bad as I had feared. For this week I'm going to focus my movement training days on stretching for the legs and back, since that's where I'm hurting the most.

Week 3 Update:

-Creative Activities: 2/3

-Qi-Gong: 0/2

-Movement Training: 2/3

-Mindful Coffee: 6/14

-Formal Meditation: 3/5

So, I know that "creativity is a habit/skill/whatever" is probably true, and I want to believe it, but this week I'm really struggling to make it happen. I put some time in with LDD, mostly trying to make weapons/equipment for my mechs, but I just can't seem to make anything that works for me. The guns are too bulky, the swords are too awkward, and the backpacks aren't even there. :/

My seated meditations are happening, but I'm struggling to keep focused. I'm still mainly using a Focus on Relaxation technique, which I enjoy, but it's not cool to get sidelined by random thoughts before I've even gotten as far down as my traps. Like we used to say in my old Aikido dojo: "This is why we train."

Moving/stretching is going well this week, but I still haven't made any time for Qi Gong (problematic, since the week is rolling by so quickly!), but I think I'll be okay.

This is my first 4 Week challenge, so I'm a little freaked out that it's so close to ending already. I've got my next writeup pretty much done, but I still have homework to do before I can finalize a few details.

COOOMBO BREAKER! eeerrr I mean:

So...  I don't know how your day went, buddy, but here's how mine went:

I showed my kid some pics on the internet from an artist whose work I happen to enjoy a lot. My kid immediately decides he wants to try to attempt what he just saw sooo hard that it needs to happen immediately. I get dragged into it, of course. Willingly, I might add.

So, here is our homage to said artist (obviously not even as close in epicness), but as he said once: you work with what you have... so I present you: mobile core faux version: taurus knight mechabot 3000 . (name totally not made up on the spot)

Huge pics might follow

tZnApwj.jpg

H5o7klI.jpg

xT96P6N.jpg

pOORVw1.jpg

iTS1xhu.jpg

DXO87us.jpg

Sorry to report it lost in the skirmish against the hulkbuster piloted by my kid.

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Ha! Awesome. :D This artist sounds pretty cool - I'll have to check out his stuff sometime. [emoji14]

Epicness is all relative, so it thrills me to no end that you guys felt inspired enough to play with my little model. ^^ As awesome as your mech is, I'm not surprised that it lost to the Hulkbuster - that pilot looks pretty fierce!

(he cheated: I even used the other mini-bots he built as support and the hulk, all of them shown in the last pic, and was overpowered anyways.)

:D

So, how is your challenge coming along, mate?

Sounds like a classic application of the age old strategy "let the wookie win". Wise choice!

Right! Challenge! Almost forgot about that. ^^;

Better late than never? o0;

Week 3 Completed:

-Creative Activities: 3/3

-Qi-Gong: 2/2

-Mindful Coffee: 14/14

-Formal Meditation: 5/5

I sort of gave up that point on the movement goal willingly because I was feeling run down and wanted to rest. I know, I know: "listen to your body!" and all that, but let's be honest here and admit that 10 minutes of gentle stretching would have had benefits that can't be gained by sitting on my butt. Still, I regret nothing. ^^

Week 4 Progress:

-Creative Activities: 2/3

-Qi-Gong: 0/2

-Mindful Coffee: 5/14

-Formal Meditation: 2/5

Off to a good start for the last dash! I've been using my movement time to test out some plans for next challenge, and I'm feeling pretty good about all of that. Creativity is ramping back up after my little slump, and I'm starting to get some things together for a semi-narrative series of LEGO pics. Everything else is feeling pretty good! I've kept with the Focus on Relaxation practice throughout this challenge, and I feel like it's done a lot to get me in touch with when and where I'm holding unneeded tension in my body (*cough*shoudlers and hips*cough*) and making it easier to let that go.

I had another weekend of challenging physical work, this time helping to fell a tree and then clear up that resulting mess. I had almost recovered from the fence posts the week before, so it wasn't too hard to do, but I'm still feeling it now several days later. I'm hoping that my projects this weekend aren't so taxing... It doesn't help that my dogs have decided to issue a wakeup call two hours before I usually get by barking their precious little heads off for no friggin' reason for the past three days in a row... >

Oh, and I had to work a double shift on Sunday, which is good because overtime pay, but it's bad because it was a DOUBLE SHIFT! Bleh! I'm glad I like my job, or it would have really hurt.

Edit: why does Tapatalk insist on removing all of my paragraph spacing? -_-

• Like 1

I'm just going to leave this here: BrickJournal Issue 40. ^^

I'm just going to leave this here: BrickJournal Issue 40. ^^

awesomeness!

this "message" was brought to you through the ether using ero san's arcane magics (and a cellphone)

Challenge 0 Completed!

-Creative Activities: 15/15 100% A! CHA+3

-Qi-Gong: 9/10 90% A! STA+3

-Movement Training: 13/15 93% A! DEX+3

-Mindful Coffee: 68/68 100% A! WIS+3

-Formal Meditation: 20/25 80% B! CON+2

Whew! It feels good to be back in the saddle here at NF. As great as Habitica is at keeping me on track, there's just no substitute for a Challenge Thread. ^^

Clearly, I could have done better done on my meditation goal, and I considered massaging the numbers a bit by removing Week 0 from these totals to get myself a better score but that just felt like cheating. I committed to starting the challenge early, so I'm going to own the consequences of that.

Imperfection is not a bad thing, so I'm not really concerned about my lack of straight A's or the fact that I didn't spend any time working on the Bagua form that I was interested in. BUT I did practice some Bagua circle-walking and do lots of good, quality stretching work and rope dart practice, not to mention that I made some good strides here toward reestablishing my lapsed wellness habits and strengthening my mind-body connection.

All in all, I'd call that a level-up well-earned! ^^

DING!

Level 1 Air Nomad Assassin

STR: 0 STA: 3 DEX: 3 CON: 2 WIS: 3 CHA: 3

My next challenge is pretty much ready, but I'm going to take advantage of the off week to prototype some stuff without serious tracking. Most of the tasks from this time around are going to stay active in my Habitica Dailies, so I need to make sure the new stuff integrates well.