[Mad Hatter] It starts with food

Mad Hatter

I'm an assassin at heart who loves to mess around with climbing, contortion, aerial and handbalancing. I feel like I'm in a great place when it comes to training, buuuut not so great when it comes to eating to support the training. So this challenge is all about food and mindful eating and thought the druids might be a good place for it.

I love food and I love to cook, but my relationship with eating is a rocky one, even disorderly at times. Sometimes I forget to eat. Sometimes I binge. And then there are periods when I effortlessly eat really yummy, healthy food that makes me very happy.

giphy.gif

For the past few weeks I’ve been in a bad eating like a jerk phase and I gained weight in a very short amount of time which frankly feels gross and so very unhealthy. But enough is enough, and now I’ve reached a point where I feel ready to tackle my eating habits. Not to lose weight or even for performance, but for my physical and mental health.

The hard goals

Goal #1 Keep a food journal

I’m not talking about calorie counting, but I will track my food together with notes on how I feel both mentally (mood, stress levels...) and physically (hunger, tiredness levels…) before and after the meal. I will also be keeping track on any strong cravings.

This is a pass or fail goal, but I only have to keep it up for as long as it’s interesting.

Goal #2 Max one portion of dessert or snacks per day

And as long as it’s made from scratch!

I sometimes fall into the bad habit of getting crappy chocolate or other unhealthy thing straight after work to boost my energy levels, when really I need real food and rest. This goal is really about preventing that, but disguised as an incentive to bake more cookies. ;)

giphy.gif

Goal #3 No eating out

This means zero takeaway and going out for work lunches max 1 day/week.

giphy.gif

The fun goals!

Goal #4 Experiment with food

Try 4 new “mystery” recipes or flavour combinations that I’ve never tried before. Ideas are always welcome!

giphy.gif

Goal #5 Grow food

I've never grown anything in my life, but got this fix idea that I want to start growing food on my balcony. Last challenge I started by researching how and when to plant, and I planted some seeds on my window sill. This challenge will be about setting up the rest of the balcony, and be patient enough with my little ones to not murder them because they are growing too slowly. :P

giphy.gif

• Like 10

It looks like a very thoughtful challenge. I like a lot the growing things goal, yes you will need patience :D

Good luck with all of it!

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

You can't hide! ;)

Growing things is always a good experience! I've also just started some gardening. The tomato seeds on my windowshelf have sprouted this week and I sow some other (hardier) stuff outside this weekend.

the artist usually known as WALDGEIST

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

Star Wars: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #5B, #6, #6B, #10, #11, #16, #17, (Current Callenge)

TeenWolf: #7

SHIELD: #8, #12, #13, #14, #15

Magicians: #9

"It's never too late, to become what you could've been!"

Following along as always. Will we get pictures of your blossoming balcony garden?

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

A whole challenge about the best thing in the world? Soooo in.

• Like 3

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

First of all thanks so much for being here! And for the "regulars" I'm really sorry about dropping off last challenge and not giving you the support you deserved. But you were always there in my thoughts.

10 hours ago, Miw_Sher said:

I like food, cooking and experimenting. Followed. :)

Time to go mad scientist!

9 hours ago, zenLara said:

It looks like a very thoughtful challenge. I like a lot the growing things goal, yes you will need patience :D

Good luck with all of it!

Good thing patience is my strong side. :P Hahahahaha.

7 hours ago, High Lord of the Sith said:

You can't hide! ;)

Growing things is always a good experience! I've also just started some gardening. The tomato seeds on my windowshelf have sprouted this week and I sow some other (hardier) stuff outside this weekend.

I really need to get some more outside pots this weekend! I've got some tomato seeds on my window sill too, and they've sprouted but still no real leaves. Don't know whether I'm impatient or if there's not enough light for them. Grrr grow faster!

6 hours ago, aisle4b said:

As a fellow emotional eater, totally following! I hope you'll share your recipes too!

Hey there! I will absolutely post if I make something extra yummy!

4 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Following along as always. Will we get pictures of your blossoming balcony garden?

Not sure how exciting it is to see photos of teeny, tiny baby plants, but sure! Though I have to admit since I've never grown anything before I do find it really exciting to see the little things grow.

4 hours ago, raptron said:

A whole challenge about the best thing in the world? Soooo in.

Yay!

2 hours ago, Raxie said:

I love food themed challenges! This'll be a great one.

All the food!

1 hour ago, Twilight said:

Oh hey fellow assassin! :D I'm going to be challenging over here this time, too.

Awesome!

10 minutes ago, Sunmage said:

Welcome here!

This looks interesting =)

Enjoy your stay with us!

Thanks so much Sunmage! 

• Like 2

ooooooh food AND hatter. <3

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

So THIS is where you are!

What an awesome challenge, settling in for a nice view :)

I keep being tempted to do a food challenge, but then can't ever bring myself to it. This might tempt me some more so thanks already

• Like 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

1 hour ago, karinajean said:

ooooooh food AND hatter. <3

Nom nom nom.

31 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

So THIS is where you are!

What an awesome challenge, settling in for a nice view :)

I keep being tempted to do a food challenge, but then can't ever bring myself to it. This might tempt me some more so thanks already

I actually purposefully made the goals as roundabout as I could to make this work. :) Journaling instead of calorie counting, making desserts from scratch to reduce my calorie intake. No takeaway rule to get me started on food planning and meal prepping. Stuff like that. I thought about putting in more rigid eating "rules" but decided against it. Instead I hope that by sticking to the goals the rest will follow. That's the idea anyway...

• Like 3

I like the idea a lot. Seems very smart to me and could work well for you. Not strict dictation (which you would simply have to rebell against sooner or later, I know I would) but enough accountability to motivate good choices for each day...  It's probably the idea I was missing as the harder rules just don't feel right for me either

Excited to see how it will work for you!

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

Day 1

Goal #1 Keep a food journal

Done!

Overall: Ok. Lots of veg, decent food (which I cooked for once) and portion sizes, no cravings, but two desserts. Oops.

Spoiler

Day 1

6.00 Green tea, felt groggy and almost hungover even though I didn’t drink yesterday.

8.30 Pretty hungry at this point, so I had a bread roll with cheese and cucumber. Could still have eaten more afterwards. 

9.00 Black tea

12.00 Salad with beans, chicken, bulgur, some other stuff. Could barely keep my eyes open in class so the break was most welcome. Felt very full afterwards.

12.45 Needed to take a walk to get some fresh air, walked to espresso shop and got a single espresso and a small chocolate. Really needed that pick me up!

15.30 We had “fika” as part of the course and I didn’t want to turn down the tasty Swedish custard bun thing. Which accidentally made two desserts for today. But one was a treat and the other social so it felt ok. It didn’t trigger any cravings the rest of the day either, even though I was tired and headachy after the course.

19.00 Quiche with brie, caramelised onions, and bacon (unfortunately it didn’t turn out quite as good as it sounds) together with an arugula salad with candied walnuts, red grapes and celery. Snacked on a lot of walnuts, and a small amount of smoked deer before dinner. 

22:00 Nibbled on my failed attempt at a cranberry/rosemary bread. I had dough in the fridge, but I underestimated the time it would need to rise and I was tired so I stuck it in the oven anyway. It developed a really thick crust too quickly so I said fuck it and took it out of the oven ahead of time. Opened it up and it was actually almost ready, and quite tasty too. Doh! But honestly with that thick of a crust it would be rock solid by tomorrow anyway… 

Goal #2 Max one portion of dessert or snacks per day

Accidental fail, but only marginally, and not in the bad kind of way.

Goal #3 No eating out

Passed! This was made easy since we got lunch provided for us at work (we're taking a programming course).

• Like 3

I'm right there with you!  I know that my climbing and parkour would be much more awesome if I could eat like a disciplined athlete.  But I just love food too much!  I hope you also least report on your climbing and bendy stuff over the next month (or will that all be in the battle log?)

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Nice approach to food when you don't have an specific goal like "lose as much fat weight as possible" or "get as much muscle gainz as possible". Are you putting your training notes solely in your battle log or will we also see that here?

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Yay, Mad Hatter experimenting with food-this is gonna be fun. And your first veggie garden too!

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

7 hours ago, Nymeria said:

I'm right there with you!  I know that my climbing and parkour would be much more awesome if I could eat like a disciplined athlete.  But I just love food too much!  I hope you also least report on your climbing and bendy stuff over the next month (or will that all be in the battle log?)

Haha eating like a disciplined athlete will never happen. Unless my calorie intake will grow by a massive amount so I'll have to eat loads to keep up. :P For now I just need to stop the eating like a jerk habits. Last year I was at an accidental deficit for months because I didn't feel like eating at times and now I've gained back most of it in a matter of weeks. :( It's so bad. 

5 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Nice approach to food when you don't have an specific goal like "lose as much fat weight as possible" or "get as much muscle gainz as possible". Are you putting your training notes solely in your battle log or will we also see that here?

My initial thought was to separate my challenge stuff and my training stuff to make it easier to keep track. But now I have second thoughts as I can see how it would also get confusing with two threads. Maybe I'll just post training details in the battle log and more diary style entries here. What do you think?

5 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Yay, Mad Hatter experimenting with food-this is gonna be fun. And your first veggie garden too!

Fingers crossed it will work! :)