My biggest problem isn't that I don't know what I'm doing. It's that I know too much, and in so knowing, forget how little I know.

I have a bunch of different programs that all want to work together. But I haven't really done the work of putting them all together properly, and it's been to my detriment in the past. And it's trying to be now.

Still, as it's been pointed out to me, I'm wise enough to know when something is working and when it isn't, and there's no shame in making adjustments on the fly.

Putting a bunch of pieces together and adjusting quickly as I need to with the aim of building something better? Sounds like Tetris to me.

Okay, so.

Goal 1: Nighttime Meditations

I originally tried to do a program with the idea of switching between various forms of meditation. Parts of it were interchangeable, but, ah. I didn't know which parts. Since I have some time for meditating set aside in the morning, I'm going to use it for shorter exercises. The longer part, the thing I let slip because it didn't belong, was the longer time of stillness which I find that I need.

Goal 2: Writing

Making writing a goal last time was a good idea. But it's incomplete. I didn't write every day like I wanted to, and I want to break the curse of the five missing days. To spice this up a bit, we're going to move my standards a bit, so that I'm doing more for minimal, nominal, and maximal standards of performance.

Goal 3: NO MORE CHEAT DAYS

You can't build what you want by just doing what you want. No. You have to make the blocks fit together, earn the spaces and such. This will not be easy, with my folks being prone to celebration at the drop of a hat, but that means all the more reason for me to do my diligence.

Goal 4: Condense Training

Whether I like it or not, I'm not really going to be in charge of my schedule much longer. So, I have to work with my training to make it fit everything. There's lots of reasons to do this - for starters, the present modifications I've done make for a very lopsided training split; A day is short and B day is long. That bothers me, because I feel like I'm trading efficacy for peace of mind, and that's not what I need.

Additionally, I'm finding that the handstand work I tried to cram in doesn't really fit together with the pike presses. It flirts with failure too much, and that bothers me.

And in addition to that, I have a very physical job coming up, and I've got to balance what I'm doing out here with the demands of the work there so that I can be effective.

On the other hand, though, playing around with fatigue is proving to be just loads of fun. :) You'll see as we go.

Anyway, the name of the game here is to not let any one training session exceed an hour in length. Ideally, bring it down somewhere between 45 and 60 minutes. I will be timing these sessions to double-check myself and make sure that I'm not being too crazy.

Yeah. Yeah. Okay. This'll work.

• Like 8

Hey, cool new challenge. So you're basically sticking with a lot you've been doing before. That's how you built a foundation.

Oh and do you know this one?

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

7 hours ago, Kishi said:

You can't build what you want by just doing what you want. No. You have to make the blocks fit together, earn the spaces and such. This will not be easy, with my folks being prone to celebration at the drop of a hat, but that means all the more reason for me to do my diligence.

I love this description of your folks, what a lovely outlook on life. :) now, if you can master being a celebrator AND a moderate individual who celebrates in a healthy way.... THAT WILL BE SO HUGE. you could write an award winning book and be the next fitness guru on daytime tv. I'm making this sound silly, but it would really be a big deal!

• Like 2

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Nice goals for the next month. Tetris is the perfect analogy.

Might it work to get your folks to have angel food cake with fresh berries instead of the heavier things they often eat? Fizzy water with pomegranate juice instead of soda or beer? Choosing things that are seasonal or luxury items makes the food special.

• Like 3

Level 53  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

Crawling out of the debris that is my life to try to follow more peeps again. Ah Tetris, the first Gameboy (and thereby, first mobile) game I ever had. Mom tried to play it and was confused because #tinydisplay #backlitscreensareforotherpeople

Good on you for realizing some things just don't jive with your entire training plan. That's a hard pill to swallow sometimes. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

10 hours ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Hey, cool new challenge. So you're basically sticking with a lot you've been doing before. That's how you built a foundation.

Oh and do you know this one?

Well, I am sticking to it a bit, but I want to try to build on it too. It's kind of both of those things.

Also, I have seen this video. Is good video. :)

3 hours ago, karinajean said:

I love this description of your folks, what a lovely outlook on life. :) now, if you can master being a celebrator AND a moderate individual who celebrates in a healthy way.... THAT WILL BE SO HUGE. you could write an award winning book and be the next fitness guru on daytime tv. I'm making this sound silly, but it would really be a big deal!

I think it's great that they're like that. Life has enough bitterness.

The thing is, I was kind of on track to figuring that out. Last year, prior to the holidays, I was eating high carb, lower calorie. Which sounds brutal but wasn't, really, because all the food I was eating was very satisfying. When the holidays rolled around, I was able to eat heavy meals with the folks, then go back to eating light. I didn't do it perfectly, of course, but I did end out the year lighter than I was at the start, which is pretty cool.

I got cocky about it, though, and put on some more weight, and then I did the Transformation Challenge... where I put on more weight. Which, gotta say, not what I was shooting for. But I'm back and at it now, and I think it's all gonna be pretty great.

But yeah, get back on track and write a bestseller and everything should be okay. :D

57 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Nice goals for the next month. Tetris is the perfect analogy.

Might it work to get your folks to have angel food cake with fresh berries instead of the heavier things they often eat? Fizzy water with pomegranate juice instead of soda or beer? Choosing things that are seasonal or luxury items makes the food special.

Thanks! I thought so.

Well, in all frankness, I haven't represented my folks all that fairly. Truth is, they actually tend to save the heavier fare for when I'm joining them. We'll go out to dinner and just blow it up huge. Last week, we went out and did Irish Nachos (nachos with beef brisket and horseradish) and Reuben Potato Skins and then I was an asshole to myself and had Corned Beef Mac and Cheese and it was amazing.

Truthfully, if they're left to their own devices, during the week they stick to salads and seafood and sammiches and soup. Lot of S foods. Ostensibly, it's all quite healthy, but I suspect that the next things that they would benefit to clean up from would be dispensing with the wine they drink during the week or swapping out some of the oils that they use for cooking. Mom doesn't understand why I don't use the olive and vegetable oils that they use... and I haven't really explained where I come from with that either. I don't really know how to go about illuminating them in a gracious way except to keep living by example.

15 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Crawling out of the debris that is my life to try to follow more peeps again. Ah Tetris, the first Gameboy (and thereby, first mobile) game I ever had. Mom tried to play it and was confused because #tinydisplay #backlitscreensareforotherpeople

Good on you for realizing some things just don't jive with your entire training plan. That's a hard pill to swallow sometimes. 

:) Hey, good to see you! Me and Tetris have many fond memories together. Tetris was the game that actually brought me and my Dad together. We didn't understand each other very well when I was growing up because I was this bookish, indoorsy type and he's an outdoorsy hellraiser. But he loves puzzles, and one time he caught me playing. I showed him how it worked, and we would spend nights playing back and forth, trying to beat each other's scores. That was "Catch" for us.

It's a very hard pill to swallow. But at the end of the day, I want results. If I get bad results, then it doesn't matter what the paper says in terms of what should work and what shouldn't.

Meditations: Check

Writing: Check

Clean Eating: Check

Condensed Training: In Process

This being 0-Week, I'm really not going to be too terribly aggressive in pursuing these goals just yet. This is more of a warm-up, or a shakedown, or whatever you want to call it. Ironing things out and seeing what can be made smooth.

Normally, I'd save my own update for the end of the day, but the truth is, I can't honestly do that if I have this last thing I'm doing before the very end. Like, it's just not honest. So, I guess I'm going to have to update on normal time. Okay, then.

Sunday was Easter, and so I filled up on good food, and then ate to satisfaction on junk food. I would have done differently, saved up for time with family, but my family is all gone this week, so for better or for worse I was left to my own devices. I didn't feel bad the day after, so, all things considered, I'll take it as a win.

Training was as follows:

Pre Fatigue: 8 Seconds of Sprinting followed by 10 push ups. Done for 6 minutes. This is an idea that I saw from Hofmekler, what I alluded to as his notion of controlled fatigue training. So, you don't necessarily go in fresh, but you go in having burned some energy already. I've taken to rolling dice for my training, like I saw happen in the Rite of Passage - 1D4 for what I'll do, and a D10 for how long I'll do it.. This time I rolled sprints for 6 minutes; I threw push ups on to add a more vigorous full-body component.

The sprinting also makes things interesting in that I can cover distance going away from home, and so in addition to the sprinting, I have to jog back home in order to save time and commence with the rest of my training. So, toughness in addition to power, at least for these.

Additionally, it's worth noting that I'm going to be cycling this in and out of my training on a week-by-week basis - one week pre-fatigue, one week post fatigue, one week both, one week none. Honestly, I'd rather roll dice for this too, but I have a hunch that life is going to throw enough wrenches into this that I won't really need to. :P

Anyway, after that:

A1: Chin Ups: 3x51,4

B1: Hollow Body Hold: 3x20s (Failed)

B2: Hand-Elevated Pike Press: 3x71,6

B3: Handstands: 3X33s (Failed)

C1: Squat Jumps: 3x6

D1: Hanging Knee Raises: 3x42,3

D2: Standing Walk Outs: 3x42,3

D3: Iron Mans: 3x42,3

Cooldown:

Elevated Bridges: 2x20s

Straight Leg Hold: 2x22,21s

NOTES:

• Okay, so, you can see how this gets hairy quickly. If you compare it to my other day's training where it's just one lift and then another, this is a way heavier day. Not just in terms of demands but also in terms of time. If you assume that a given movement takes a minute, and then allow the full complement of rest, it means about 4 minutes just for one set - one minute of chin ups, for instance, followed by three minutes of rest. So even if you did one move, that whole sequence would run you about 12 minutes, best case. So at four moves, that would be about 48 minutes or so. But with B and D, you have to change positions and do more stuff and in some cases hold for time. That adds time like crazy.
  • Additionally, with the inverted work, there's another problem. Handstand work as I'm training it is a skill. If you train a sill, the general rule I hear is that you want to be fresh and you want to have absolute quality. That does not happen in a fatigued state. Additionally, I borrowed a page from some Germans on how to do pike presses using stairs as an elevated area, so I'm definitely working the shoulders more than I was. Which is really cool. But it means that I'm probably better off treating handstands as an off-day practice, like I was before.
  • As to core work, well, the Walk Outs aren't strictly necessary, and the point of the Iron Mans is to balance out my forward flexion with rearward flexion. It could definitely be made to fit as the active recovery instead of shadowboxing or skipping rope.

So, that's that.

Edits are coming along on the draft, and I am continuing to practice my coding. Ate well.

And in news regarding today, I had my phone interview with Fidelity. They want to move on to an onsite interview, which is fantastic and one step further than I got the last time I tried to interview with them years ago. And, I got my marching orders for Walmart too, which is good. Also, Sensei posted to me about another opening working for the State, so I'll throw in for that too. His exacts words were: "I am glad you got the job at walmart, but apply to this despite or I will choke you. You need to join the middle class." Hai, hai sensei. -_-;;

Anyway, off to do all the other things today. Huzzah. I'm feeling good.

• Like 5

Oh hello there friend!

Tag, I am here.  Oh right, I need to hit that actual follow button these days. 

Damn changes! grumble grumble

Have a gif.

tumblr_mkw4ywETaI1rbq3i2o2_400.gif

• Like 1

Level 70 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

19 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Oh hello there friend!

Tag, I am here.  Oh right, I need to hit that actual follow button these days. 

Damn changes! grumble grumble

Have a gif.

tumblr_mkw4ywETaI1rbq3i2o2_400.gif

giphy.gif

19 hours ago, Mistr said:

Good to see that your sensei has your back. I hope one of the better jobs comes through for you.

Me too. I mean, I wouldn't say I was optimistic? But on the other hand, they are moving more than last time...

1 hour ago, nightlight said:

:)

603.gif

Condensed Training: Check

Everything went off without a hitch yesterday. I cleaned up and redid the draft of the flash piece I've been working on. Meditated last night. Had some rice with dinner - still comparatively low-carb, but just enough to leave me with that happy, satisfied feeling. Getting to feel that fullness drastically reduces the temptation for junk food with me, and even with lots of fats and stuff I still feel light and... empty.

Training was nasty and brutish and short: Simple and Sinister, up to six rounds of one-handed swings with the 70. It's weird - having only one hand makes it feel a lot harder. You're not just hinging, you're also having to exert an anti-rotational force to keep your base and swing, not to mention the required strength of your hands to keep the bell.

Anyway, swings and get ups and then a single bout of standing walkouts. Why? Because I still think it's a good move and I think it helps to remind the core what it is that it's doing. I suspect that's necessary, and it soothes my vanity somewhat.

I didn't really do anything beyond that yesterday.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Kishi said:

Looks like this format helps you to get stuff done. Nice week zero.

And good luck for the phone interview.

• Like 2

STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

W00t!  Another awesome challenge: I like the limit on your training routine since you are balancing out your physical job coming out and as always you put a lot of thought into your quests!  Seems the format is working for you from the previous days status for 'warm-up' week!

Also, glad your sensei is sending job apps and ideas your eyes!  Hopefully the onsite interview with Fidelity goes well and you kick butt!

• Like 1

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans

16 hours ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Looks like this format helps you to get stuff done. Nice week zero.

And good luck for the phone interview.

Well, I mean, the phone interview is already done. What luck could have been gleaned from it is already taken. You know?

10 hours ago, BlackTezca said:

W00t!  Another awesome challenge: I like the limit on your training routine since you are balancing out your physical job coming out and as always you put a lot of thought into your quests!  Seems the format is working for you from the previous days status for 'warm-up' week!

Also, glad your sensei is sending job apps and ideas your eyes!  Hopefully the onsite interview with Fidelity goes well and you kick butt!

Well, it does work so far, but I have to admit that it does feel weird and I miss running my updates strictly day by day. But this is what I have to do.

It hopefully will go well, but to be honest I'm not going to pin much hope on it. They're apparently swimming in applicants and I couldn't actually get a date for the actual interview itself.

2 hours ago, Teirin said:

*crossed fingers* for the phone interview, and the state job.

Thanks!

And here's where the non-daily pattern catches up a little bit in terms of difficulty. Because, the past couple days have been long, and they blend together a little.

Yesterday was slow as far as work and such things are concerned. I did dig into some training again, though.

Pre-Fatigue: Sets of 20 KB Swings at 70 lbs with a descending Push Up Ladder. EMOM, 10 minutes. At least, that was the plan. I only made it to eight minutes before my I panicked over how weak my grip felt to me. I didn't want to throw the bell through the garage door, so, I set the bell down and called it done.

That particular challenge is c/o Dan John, breaker of horses and men. I think I could have completed it with the 53, but I thought I could handle what this man was bringing. I got close, but. Not quite.

Decline Push Ups: 3x72,6

Dips: 3x22,1

Elevated Pistol Box Squat: 3x3,2

False Grip Bent Leg Rows: 3x3

Cooldown:

Elevated Bridge: 2x20 seconds

Straight Leg Hold: 2x22 seconds

It feels like there's a lot to unpack in this one, but reality is, everything comes back to that false grip. I decided to switch this in because I've found that attempting to pull hard on the rings... doesn't really work. They move too much, and instead of providing a solid resistance to pull against, they're pliant and they come with you.

So, since it looks like I'mma have to learn this strict-style, I went and looked up GMB's take on it. They advise to begin by practicing false grip pull ups on the rings. Fair enough... but I found that even with my hand work, the discomfort of it is just too much. It's just not a sensation I've ever really had to get used to, and I found that even hanging with a false grip was too much for me.

Instead, I decided to just do inverted rows, with my hands in pronated, supinated, and neutral positions. I guess I'll work on repping up with these until such time as I can get to the point where I hang. Then pull ups from there.

Anyway, the coolest part about all this is that the total time, once all is said and done? 42:35. Holy crap. There's room to play with time in this, even if you give the full ten minutes to the extra stuff.

That was all yesterday.

Today, I got up and went to orientation at Walmart. Followed that up with work, followed that up with bible study with the group I haven't hung out with in forever. Had a good long talk with a girl afterward who is not my type, but whose company I enjoy.

Lost all training opportunities today as a result, though.

BFE8GNUCIAA7Ig0-300x300.jpg

Hokay. That's annoying, but, that's what I figured might start to happen when I decided to take the job. It'll be okay.

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Kishi said:

BFE8GNUCIAA7Ig0-300x300.jpg

Hokay. That's annoying, but, that's what I figured might start to happen when I decided to take the job. It'll be okay.

That just means you have to schedule your workouts more carefully from now on. Still looks like two good days.

• Like 1

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Kishi said:

Winning at moderating exercise? Seriously though, tomorrow's another day. 

• Like 2

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Adjusting and adapting.    Them's the life apples.    Some things have to give a little when new things come into the picture, but I have the utmost of faith you'll find a way to rebalance it all given some time.   I for one, have been super blessed that work built a weight lifting area in our warehouse - if not for that, I would not be doing any of this because I'd have to do it before or after work.    Yup.   This company has my soul locked up (willingly) due to the perks they've allowed.

But yeah, you'll get it sorted. :)  Because you rock!

• Like 2

Level 70 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

On 3/29/2016 at 4:20 PM, Kishi said:

His exacts words were: "I am glad you got the job at walmart, but apply to this despite or I will choke you. You need to join the middle class." Hai, hai sensei. -_-;;

I really want to meet your Sensei after reading this.  I feel he and I would get along.

Glad things are unfolding well for you, bud.  Hopefully you can make it back up here for the Spartan again.  Or whenever the hell you can make it up here just to visit again.

• Like 4

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix is an Avatar

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

On 4/1/2016 at 2:40 AM, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

That just means you have to schedule your workouts more carefully from now on. Still looks like two good days.

Well, yeah. You're right. And also, I'm going to be up on my feet and moving things all day. And like I keep saying, I only need one day to maintain, two days to improve, three days to go SSJ. :D The only thing I'm really paranoid about is matching my nutrition to my exertions, but I know how to do that so... not really the biggest deal.

On 4/1/2016 at 10:07 AM, Urgan said:

Winning at moderating exercise? Seriously though, tomorrow's another day. 

It was! And is. I have to learn to let go of plans.

On 4/1/2016 at 10:59 AM, Starpuck said:

Adjusting and adapting.    Them's the life apples.    Some things have to give a little when new things come into the picture, but I have the utmost of faith you'll find a way to rebalance it all given some time.   I for one, have been super blessed that work built a weight lifting area in our warehouse - if not for that, I would not be doing any of this because I'd have to do it before or after work.    Yup.   This company has my soul locked up (willingly) due to the perks they've allowed.

But yeah, you'll get it sorted. :)  Because you rock!

Life apples are the best apples. They give back hp on the bar. :'D

I mean, you know, the job is going to be work enough. The thing that really bugs me is training in such a way that I stay out of everyone else's way here in the house. I can make it happen, but it's not easy at all.

But adapt, improvise, overcome, right?

On 4/2/2016 at 11:53 PM, ladylydia said:

I'm going through that too;  It's just a planning thing, I'm sure you'll get it sorted out.

I'm sure I will too! I just need to get the schedule from them and we'll be good.

1 minute ago, RisenPhoenix said:

I really want to meet your Sensei after reading this.  I feel he and I would get along.

Glad things are unfolding well for you, bud.  Hopefully you can make it back up here for the Spartan again.  Or whenever the hell you can make it up here just to visit again.

He's a fun guy in his way. You gotta get used to him a bit, though.

I thought you said you weren't going to be around for November! Although, I suppose it would be nice just to come up and visit for a bit without the pressure of a race. You could watch me flail around on a barbell. It'd be great. :)

Hokay, let's catch up on the past couple of days. They were good. They were very, very good.

Friday, my dad came back from his trip out to the mountains. We caught up for a bit. I went and engaged in strength training afterward.

Pre-fatigue: 6 minutes of KB Swings - sets of 20X53.

Chin Ups: 3x5,5,4

Pike Press, Hands Elevated: 3x7,7,6

Close Squat Jumps: 3x6

Hanging Knee Raises: 3x4

Total Time: 43:35

Cooldown

Elevated Bridge Hold: 2x20s

Straight Leg Hold: 2x23,22s

Notes:

• I decided to stay humble with my swings today. Humility sucks. But, in fairness, the point isn't to wreck yourself with this kind of training. It's just to fatigue oneself a bit, and it worked.
  • After having discovered the joy that is doing pike presses off the steps, I find that I prefer them that way. But I couldn't do that Friday because Dad was around and I wanted to stay out of his way (you know, courtesy). So I ended up doing them off the rings instead. Easier than I expected, but still hard. The stability demands are no joke.
  • Close squat jumps are just like regular; just keep your feet together. It's trickier to generate power this way, though. I thought I was squatting deep, and I really wasn't, but that's what practice is for.
  • Iron Mans as the active recovery for hanging ab work was the right call. And honestly, I'm surprised/happy with how this is all going. I feel like a well-oiled machine in my joints. Yeah, the training is hard, and I'm glad to get a couple days of rest after each week, but I don't feel the tightness coming on in my lower back like I'm used to. This is really good.
  • The time is an interesting thing to be noting again. And I think that I want to try to keep it lower. For lots of reasons - practically speaking, I don't have as much time going forward as I used to have; positive hormonal changes induced by training tend to taper off at the 45-minute mark; the time spent doing each move is going to grow as I complete more and more reps. I think training trumps hormones, but if I have the option to stack them both with each other, why pit one against the other? Makes no sense.

Anyway, after that, Dad wanted to go out to dinner. It would have been a Karate night, but I decided to forego in favor of pizza and beer and quality time. I think I made the right choice. :)

Saturday... well, there's no sugarcoating it. I put in an 18-hour work day. I went to Walmart at 9 and spent the day working through orientation material. Then, when I finished early, my manager put me to work on unloading the truck. And honestly?

It was like working for UPS... only fun. Put shit on the conveyer, push shit down the conveyer, take shit off the conveyer. After sitting down for 8.5 hours it was glorious. And I wasn't even a little tired. To be fair, it's just a taste of what's coming, and it's going to be heavier, I'm sure. But I think that's another place where embracing a Soviet mindset toward physical stuff has changed me - I don't try to push to failure. I pace myself, take my time, do each thing well. After all, I'm not being paid more to be faster, and there's much to do.

I went home long enough to say hi to my Mom, who came back from her trip, before washing the pollen off my car and going out to Uber. And that, also, turned out to be a lot of fun. Raleigh had a Beer Faire going on yesterday, and UNC-CH is playing in the Final Four, so the city was hopping last night. It's funny though: any time the city gets busy, all the drivers go down to the event. Because they're all concentrated there, they leave all the other fares out. I come in from relatively far away, so, when that happens, I end up getting all the fares that they missed. Which is good business for me, but I never get to see all these cool things as a result.

Honestly, though? I had a blast. I had all manner of interesting fares - a Muslim Marine, a lady whose sister was a groupie for The Who, a musician, a bunch of gaming nerds going off to a strip club, and lots (and lots) of drunk people, including a drunk nerd who wanted to debate me on Batman Versus Superman (not the movie, just the concept).

Spoiler

Also, I was propositioned for sex!... by a gay dude who was not my type. Which, hey, that was flattering. And also exasperating, because. What the fuck, seriously. I can't get a woman to even look at me, and I'm finally changing in a sustainable way that I enjoy and who notices me? Dudes. Goddammit.

I just want a beautiful woman who is my type to freaking notice me and not be in a freaking relationship, or just be on the market. Why is that so much to ask.

But on the positive side, he's rheumatic and in need of training. He's interested in that much, so I gave him my number and we'll see what happens. If he tries to cross a line, well, then I can afford to cut that relationship.

Anyway, I cleared a lot of money last night, even before tips. After tips, it was probably my second most productive night ever.

Also, I didn't get to eat yesterday. And I haven't eaten yet today. It's not been unbearable - after pizza and beer I indulged in some pretzels and cookie butter, only to the point of satisfaction. I'm okay.

The only real negative of the past couple days is that my writing and Codecademy slipped. That's not something that I anticipate happening much beyond this first month where I figure things out, but I am having to hustle more because I'm not going to see a real paycheck from Wally World until the end of this month. My first day was the last day of the previous pay period, so when my first paycheck rolls around, I'll only have that day.

It's survivable, obviously, but the only way to make that happen is to prioritize hustle over other stuff. Which frustrates me, but it's only temporary, and it's necessary besides.

Also, I miss the end of day updates. I think I'll go back to doing those and just tally up meditation at the end of the week, or else make some other notification of my efforts in that area.

Mmm. Swings and get ups and steak and cauliflower on the horizon. Awesome.

• Like 5

It is a compliment so long as he was respectful about it, even if somewhat frustrating :-)

After tips, it was probably my second most productive night ever.

Excellent!  Hopefully this and Walmart will keep you for now and you can move on to something better soon.  Your Sensei is right.  Sounds like it started well, even if it was an 18 hour work day.  That's not really a great sign.  You're getting paid for orientation I would assume?

• Like 2

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

25 minutes ago, Teirin said:

You're getting paid for orientation I would assume?

You're on the clock for orientation, yup.

• Like 1

Flattering indeed, if not also kinda awkward.  Another story to add to the growing list of Uber stories! 

Also...mmmmmmm steak....nom nom nom

• Like 1

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans

2 hours ago, Teirin said:

It is a compliment so long as he was respectful about it, even if somewhat frustrating :-)

Excellent!  Hopefully this and Walmart will keep you for now and you can move on to something better soon.  Your Sensei is right.  Sounds like it started well, even if it was an 18 hour work day.  That's not really a great sign.  You're getting paid for orientation I would assume?

Yeah, and I suppose I need to take what I can get. And he was respectful. He talked about the need/want to be professional about things, which in hindsight is a good sign.

Well, to put it in perspective, it was voluntary. I thought I was going to get to go off and hang with a girl who is my type and whom I find extremely attractive who does not reciprocate those feelings. She never got back to me about what was going on, and so with nothing to do, I figured it was a good time to get moving. And it turned out to be the right call: if I'd taken the hours necessary to dance around my folks and eat dinner and unwind and do all that stuff, I would have lost maybe half the income I made. It was only gonna be 9, which, hey, that doesn't scare me. I made my choice to clock the extra time.

5 minutes ago, BlackTezca said:

Flattering indeed, if not also kinda awkward.  Another story to add to the growing list of Uber stories! 

Also...mmmmmmm steak....nom nom nom

Well, he was also high on painkillers, which I think influenced his decisions a bit.

Yup. Dad doesn't know how to make a blue/rare steak, but he's not bad at it either.

So, here's what ended up happening. I allowed myself to get distracted with social media and my RSS feeds, and by the time I was done, dinner rolled around, and after that I futzed around some more, and then finally did my swings and get ups.

Since I didn't want to take the chance of being up too late, I condensed the training back to swings, and get ups. No grip work. I also decided to take a step on ab rollouts and do one on my knees with a towel on the hard surface of the floor. That was harder than I expected - not the going out, but the coming back. Fascinating.

And with that, the next challenge officially begins...

• Like 2

Sounds like a hell of a work shift. It's probably weird to say, but I actually sometimes miss my retail days. Standing all day was never fun, exactly, but I never really minded doing the warehousing part of the job. Go out back, grab a computer box, stock it on the shelf. Rinse, repeat. There was always something satisfying and even a bit meditative about moving heavy shit around. Lifting weights is okay, but I like there being a reason for doing it. Something to accomplish.

I like the mental work of my current job, but man do I sometimes wish there was a physical component too.

• Like 1

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |