Intro: At the end of January 2015, I weighed 255 lbs, hated myself, and constantly felt sick and tired. I started watching what I was eating, and then at the end of February took the plunge and joined a gym. I came across NF a week before the April 2015 6WC started. There are links to my introduction/origin story and my first eight challenges in my sig below. Feel free to go rummage around in there. I’ve made steady progress through the challenges over the last 12 months, with just the occasional setback. In October, I was invited (and thrilled) to become an Ambassador for the Adventurers guild. Over my first four challenges, I set a specific goal of getting properly fitted for a good quality, tailored, three-piece suit, and get a good photograph taken wearing it, because I was sick of being disgusted when I looked in the mirror or saw a photo of myself. Having achieved that goal, the focus is now on getting to a target weight of 180 and staying there.

And now, the misadventures of a man experiencing a mid-life crisis and attempting to convince himself that he still has The Stuff…

No, Def, it’s not me. This time.

Introducing Larry; Larry Laffer.

d9be44a949adad11a95480426cb237c4.143x273

Back when I was still an immature, sniggering buffoon, I found smutty humour hilarious. Shocking, I know. Thankfully, I’ve outgrown such juvenilia. Let’s just imagine for a moment that I haven’t, though. This challenge is homage to my all-time favourite computer game character, Larry Laffer. In the late 80s and early 90s, Al Lowe’s Leisure Suit Larry series kept me glued to my Commodore Amiga for countless hours, giggling at innuendo-laden situations and innocently longing for pixelated nudity as Leisure Suit Larry went Looking for Love in Several Wrong PlacesTM.

Disclaimer: There were a couple of terrible console arcade-style revivals in the early 2000s, but they were the equivalent of the American Pie movies which didn’t feature Jim, Finch and the real Stiffler, and should be avoided at all costs.

leisure-suit-larry-iii-passionate-patti- 

I’ve plateau’d bigtime over the past couple of challenges, partially my own fault. While I’ve generally stayed within my calorie limits, and kept up the exercise schedule, there’s been a bit of general fitness/life malaise, and a constant battle to eat properly, rather than meeting my targets with bad calories. With that in mind, I’m going to change things up a little this time. I’m going to go a little lighter on the cross trainer, and get back to NF basics and lift more weights. I’m also trying something different with how I track certain things. Rather than daily totals, I’m trying out weekly pass/fails to determine my grades.

Quest 1: “Buff Sheds Sweat in Search of Sexier Stuff”

lsl3_disguised_local.jpg

5,000 calories burned on the cross trainer at my gym.

Achievable Points on offer: +3 STA

A – 5000+ (Points x 1)
B – 4500-5000 (Points x 0.75)
C – 4000-4500 (Points x 0.5)
D – 3500-4000 (Points x 0.25)
F – < 3500 (Fail. 0 Points.)

Quest 2: “Buff Burpees to Boost his Bodaciously Bangin’ Bod”

ME0000534737_2.jpg

500 burpees by the end of the challenge.

Achievable Points on offer: +3 DEX

A – 500+ (Points x 1)
B – 450-500 (Points x 0.75)
C – 400-450 (Points x 0.5)
D – 350-400 (Points x 0.25)
F – < 350 (Fail. 0 Points.)

Quest 3: “Buff Pushes Pounds in Pursuit of Pulsating Pectorals”

hqdefault.jpg

Scoring slightly differently this time around. A minimum of three weight training sessions each week. Each week with three sessions is a pass.

Achievable Points on offer: +5 STR

A – 5 Weeks (Points x 1)
B – 4 Weeks (Points x 0.75)
C – 3 Weeks (Points x 0.5)
D – 2 Week (Points x 0.25)
F – 0-1 Weeks (Fail. 0 Points.)

Quest 4: “Buff Feasts Faithfully upon the Finest Foods”

6384.jpg

Log food, and stay within my calorie target. Rather than scoring it daily, it’s a weekly target of 11200 (8000 for short week 5). Each week under target is a pass.

Achievable Points on offer: +2 WIS, +1 CHA

A – 5 Weeks (Points x 1)

Quest 5: “Buff Hydrates His Hotness with H2OHMYGODINEEDTOPEEEEE”

larry092.jpg

Hydrate like Bobby Boucher. Again, I’m scoring it weekly. Drink 21 litres of water per week (15 on week 5). Each week over target is a piss pass.

Achievable Points on Offer: +1 CON

A – 5 Weeks (Points x 1)

• Like 12

~~ VALHALLA, I AM COMING! ~~

Season 1 (2015): #0 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

Season 2 (2016): #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12  #13 #14 #15 

Season 3 (2017): #16 #17 #18 

I like how you have a mile or rep target for the whole challenge rather than something daily or weekly. Might steal that next time. 

And lots of lovely (al)literation. This is good.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Sarah Barr - Level 13 Warhobbit

STR 18 | DEX 7 | STA 17 | CON 38 | WIS 28 | CHA 12

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

Instagram (Things I have painted or made.)

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

Day 1

Leisure-Suit-Larry-IGN-720x517.jpg

It's like it knows me...

So, the underlying theme for this challenge is "Go Less, Do More."

I think part of what's been killing my motivation over the last couple of challenges is tiredness. I've been chugging along fine, and then from time to time I'll hit a sticky patch, and it just seems to suck the life out of me. With hindsight, I'd probably made a rod for my own back by setting targets which meant I was having to be completely switched on, all day, every day, beating myself up if I got behind where I was supposed to be by that point in the challenge. There were weeks where I had to be in the gym 5 days out of 7, and worse, just doing the same thing over and over. No wonder I was burning out. Combine that with family and work life schedules which just seem to have gone crazy, and the end result was the tank running on empty.

This challenge sees a conscious decision to create a bit of space in my schedule by maximizing the efficiency of what I'm doing. I'm planning to be in the gym 3-4 times a week, cutting back on the cardio slightly to make more time for lifting, which will hopefully alleviate the boredom by introducing some variety.

Similarly, the daily food target was becoming overly restrictive, causing me to just focus on the number goal, rather than think about what I'm eating, and most importantly, to actually enjoy food. I hit targets, but completely at the expense of any enjoyment of what I was doing. Shifting to weekly total targets rather than daily again will give me more flexibility.

This is my plan for Week 1:

Monday: Gym. 18 minute cross-trainer warm-up. Weights (a variety of 3x5 and 5x5s at increasing weights)

Tuesday: Burpees at home

Wednesday: Burpees at home

Thursday: Gym: Light cross-trainer and weights.

Friday: Gym: Hard cross-trainer and burpees.

Saturday: Gym: Light cross-trainer and weights.

Sunday: Complete rest

The Tuesday and Wednesday at home are kind of enforced this week, SWFS has prior plans. Going forward, I'll probably use one of those as a gym night, and maybe rest on Thursday or Friday to spread things out a little.

• Like 6

Can't say I remember this game, but I love your goals! 

• Like 1

Check out my character here!

Previous challenges: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen,

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain.

I loved this game!  I like your plan. Work smarter, not harder.  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

I was wondering if you'd ever come back around to lifting more weights.  Sounds like a great plan, but your calories seem a little low to me.  At my absolute lowest I was still above 12,000 per week.  Are you shooting for aggressive weight loss this time around?

Asked while I'm munching on my Week-0 Easter-clearance jelly beans. :D

• Like 6

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

1 minute ago, DrFeelgood said:

You know how to live DFG.

• Like 3

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

1 minute ago, DrFeelgood said:

I was wondering if you'd ever come back around to lifting more weights.  Sounds like a great plan, but your calories seem a little low to me.  At my absolute lowest I was still above 12,000 per week.  Are you shooting for aggressive weight loss this time around?

I'm definitely looking to get the body fat down and get back under 200 for now - the calorie target was definitely one I was thinking over, I'd based it at a rough level of 1600-1650 per day. That said, I was way low yesterday, purely because we were out and about for a fair chunk of the day.

• Like 3

Those thoughts on calorie tracking vs enjoying food is really valuable to me right now. I'm trying to figure out what to do food wise and while I do want to track calories and macros I need to keep in mind that last time I did this, I ended up eating spoonsfull of peanut butter just to hit my protein goal...

• Like 1

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

3 minutes ago, Briniel said:

I ended up eating spoonsfull of peanut butter just to hit my protein goal...

I am not seeing how this is bad... 

• Like 4

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Day 2:

lsl_4.jpg

I do. I do feel much better.

Managed to fight off the urge to snack last night after dinner, despite there being a three-pack of Boosts in the cupboard. I rock. I'm also keeping up the water intake - 3.5 litres yesterday. So much pee.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, SomeGuyFromScotland said:

Managed to fight off the urge to snack last night after dinner, despite there being a three-pack of Boosts in the cupboard. I rock. I'm also keeping up the water intake - 3.5 litres yesterday. So much pee.

If you pee all over those boosts you kill two birds with one stone.

• Like 3

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten