Slow down.

Breathe.

Take your time.

Use discipline to make that time.

Marbles_For_Zen.jpg

While I succeeded the last challenge, I did so flying through it without a minute to reflect upon my process, my goals, my achievements. I was also never able to check in here because of how busy my days were. I can't say I was stressed, but I regret not making time to check in with the people supporting me here and my friends in real life.

I also found myself falling into the old pattern again of not being able to sustain routines. Mostly because as I added building stones to my fitness, these became more and more complicated/ Then came the question of - I have a knee routine, but if my current daily challenge also includes a leg routine, do I do both?

The solution then, was to sit down, break down my goals into even smaller pieces, until I could determine the single elements that were important to me, and from there, build a new challenge. I also want to make my life goals my priority over fitness, meaning that I won't add anything to my physical practice this month. I will just work on solidifying existing habits.

Fitness Goal: Make fitness an integral part of my daily life to ensure better health and well-being.  

Goal 1: Morning routine:

• Wake up at 6h30
  • Meditate
  • 5 Minute Mobility Drills
  • 5 Minute Balancing Practice
  • Intermediate Knee Routine

+ 1 of the following: Strength, Cardio, Yoga

Do not start any daily task until scheduled. Use any leftover time for yourself.

Goal 2: Evening routine:

+ 1 of the following: Foundation Work, Yoga

• Intermediate Knee Routine
  • 30 Day Meditation Challenge
  • Go to bed by 22h30

Goal 3: Lunch Break:

+1 of the following: Walk, Foundation Work

Life goal: Master self-discipline without neglecting the people I love

Goal 1: Battling the Monkey

• Level 2

Goal 2: Do not isolate yourself

• Update Daily Log
  • Check into challenge forums once a week
  • Call home once a week

Goal 3: Walk towards success

• Work on main project daily
  • Apply to at least five internships and jobs

Goal 4: Leisure

• One evening per week will be dedicated to reading only

Sunday is a rest day.

• Like 2

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

Thoughts Behind the Challenge

The above probably looks very complex and a bit of an overkill without the thought process behind it. Here is a slightly more in-depth explanation.

Program of the Challenge

Because I am still testing the water, for the moment I am following ready-made routines and programs.

I will be structuring this challenge in a slightly unconventional way due to this being an unconventional month. I am presiding a youth conference in the middle of the month, which is exclusively organised by volunteers and will be very intense. There are thus certain parts of this challenge and certain programs I will start only when I come back and which I will keep going over the break week, while others I am starting now and other still on the 4th.

Starting now:

Fitness Goals:
Morning routine

Evening routine

Life Goals

Battling the Monkey
Do not isolate yourself
Walk towards success (Part 1)

Starting 4th of April:

Fitness Goals:
Lunch Break

Leisure

Starting after conference (12th April):

Fitness Goals:

Yoga Camp with Adriene

Life Goals :
Walk towards success

Rules of the Challenge

Morning routine

The first part is the one I have to do every morning. The +1 is optional except for Strength days, and is based on what I feel.

Knee routine is always done here, including on Strength days.

Evening routine

+1 is optional and based on what I have accomplished over the day. If I did yoga in the morning, I will do foundation work in the evening. If also did foundation work at lunch, I can skip this and take the time to read or something.

Lunch Break:

The aim here is to do some low-impact movement to get a break from the day. I do what I feel like.

The aim of these three is to not feel forced to do everything every day, but to build up towards a future where I will be making my own programme.

Battling the Monkey:

Last challenge I came up with a point system where I am awarded points every time I win a battle against the procrastination monkey and actually do work. The Monkey, on the other hand, gets points whenever I put something off.

I am still smoothing out the kinks in this system. I realised that at some point I needed to reset the entire system or I would be way ahead the monkey. I also realised that at some point I needed to up the stakes and make certain parts more challenging.

A new addition to the point system is thus the following:

- Once I reach 100 points, I Level Up the score is zeroed on both sides.

- When you spend points on Level 1, they still add up to the total tally

- Once you are on Level 2, spending 25pts resets your count towards the total 100pts. However, once you reach 100 pts, those are stashed and set aside in the count towards 1000pts.

Rest days, unexpected events, or bad days do not count in the tally system. So if you have a really horrible day where you are so depressed you cannot get out of bed, you won't find yourself having to fight against a Monkey that suddenly gained 40 points ahead of you. Also, you can obviously schedule rest days, holidays, etc. Outside this system. The point is that if you stick to your scheduled work.

Here is the point system as of now.

Points Gained:

1 pt: every hour I work on a scheduled task without distractions Level 2: only if I start the task when scheduled
0,5 pts: every hour I work on a scheduled task but have other stuff going on int he Background; e.g; Facebook or Better Call Saul.
5pts: waking up without snoozing

Monkey Points gained:
5 points: every hour I procrastinate
Level 2: 5 points whenever I don't wake up on the scheduled time

Goal: End the week with more points than the Monkey. If that is the case, you win and get to keep on tallying points until you reach 100pts.
If you lose, the score is zeroed and you start again.

Rewards:

25pts: Small Reward (watch one episode of a favourite series/muck about for an hour)

100pts: Big Reward (Day off, Spa Treatment, etc.) and Level Up.

1000 pts: One Week Holiday.

Remember to plan rest days. This is not meant to be a constant, exhausting race.

• Like 2

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

Programs Followed

Because I am still testing the water, for the moment I am following ready-made routines and programs. This might seem like a lot, but these are not meant to be followed strictly -  I just find it easier if I have a programme I can base myself on rather than having to look for something to do. The only two I will be following rigidly is the 30 Day Meditation Challenge and depending on my schedule, the Yoga Camp (hence why I am starting it later). The others are just there for me to go back to when I need a routine to follow.

Foundation Work:

Darebee Foundation

Yoga:

30 Days of Yoga with Adriene

Yoga Camp with Adriene (starting April 12th)

Meditation:

30 Day Meditation Challenge on DoYouYoga

Strength:
Reddit's Recommended Routine

Knee Routine:

Knee Pain Explained's Best Intermediate Level Exercises

• Like 1

Nice thoughts and set-up! Thanks for the links to all of your routines. I'm currently on the last few days of darebee's foundation program and plan on doing gravity next challenge. It's going to be quite intense, but so far I really enjoyed doing a little bit of exercise every day.

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I love your challenge. I think it's great that you are breaking it down and figuring out what works for you! Following along. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

19 hours ago, Briniel said:

Nice thoughts and set-up! Thanks for the links to all of your routines. I'm currently on the last few days of darebee's foundation program and plan on doing gravity next challenge. It's going to be quite intense, but so far I really enjoyed doing a little bit of exercise every day.

I haven't looked at gravity yet. I am seeing how I recover this month, then depending on that I am hesitating between trying to tackle 30 days of Change again, Hero's Journey or the 90 Day programme.

14 hours ago, Aeri-sand said:

Nice goals! May the force be with you.

Thank you, and may it be with you.

12 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Sounds like an excellent setup. Hope it works out well for you!

I hope so too. :) My past months/years have been a constant struggle to find consistency in my life. I have finally made progress last month.

6 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I love your challenge. I think it's great that you are breaking it down and figuring out what works for you! Following along. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Week 0:

Day 1:

Morning Routine - Check
+ Yoga
Evening Routine - Check
Lunch: on hold

Battling the Monkey

I had to face some exhaustion that made this particularly difficult to follow. However, I did start all my tasks and continued them to the extent I could. So Check.

Do not isolate yourself:

Check and check.

Scheduled call home.

Walk towards success:
check

Leisure:

scheduled for tomorrow, I also spent a lot of my down time reading yesterday

Day 2 - Morning Recap

Morning Routine: Big success. Check

Checked in. Yay. :)

Overall a good start to the day.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Leimanu said:

Great break down of goals.  You sound really motivated.

Ooooooh, a link for a meditation challenge!  This challenge hasn't even started and I'm planning the next one   ;)

Ooops, somehow misse dyou.

Yes, thank you, I am trying to channel my bursts of motivation into a daily effort in going on. :)

The medidation challenge is pretty cool for anyone getting started. It goes through different techniques and has very good guidance and explanations.

nice start! I totally suck at week 0. I had planned to continue with my habit tracker, at least, but it's all gone out the window. Apparently, I'm an all-or-nothing type of gal. I think I'll give myself a few more days off and restart on April 1st.

• Like 2

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

7 hours ago, Briniel said:

nice start! I totally suck at week 0. I had planned to continue with my habit tracker, at least, but it's all gone out the window. Apparently, I'm an all-or-nothing type of gal. I think I'll give myself a few more days off and restart on April 1st.

Sometimes a few days off are what one needs. :D I know I could have done with that last challenge. This time I needed a quick start. :)

When we’re worried, we are tightly attached to how we want things to be - ZenHabits

5e503828f535e50ce73fda158f4d47ae.jpg

My local organic shop used to have a bunch of postcards with images like these that used to hang over my bed. I just realised I really miss them. I should get a few of those again.

Day 2 Check-In

I finished early today because I managed to completely drain my mind over the course of the day. I put a more detailed explanation in my Daily Log.

I have started reading up on discipline, and working towards a more disciplined life, which very quickly lead to Stoicism, a Philosophy I have wanted to look into for a while now. In my eagerness, and because I finished a bunch of tasks much faster than I expected, I decided to read up on a few concepts and methods, as well as listen to some philosophy podcasts. It was all very interesting and I don't regret doing it, however, I arrived to my project completely drained.

The positive aspect is that I still showed up and did my best, even though my best does not come even close to doing me or the project justice. I also discovered the concept of Parkinson's Law, which has prompted me to take a different approach to things such as my project and the nutrition course I am following (oh yea, I am doing that, it is a bit of a long story). Rather than just saying "I will work five hours on this", I will also set myself a clear number of goals that I have to accomplish in that time. This way, if I finish them earlier, I will get some more free time and be able to do other activities. The point being, those activities will come after the tasks I have prioritised.

Anyhow, day so far?

Battling the Monkey

Check, though unproductive.

Do not isolate yourself:

Check and check.

Walk towards success:
slowly but surely

Leisure:
I actually had two whole free hours and finished the book I wanted to read. So yay. I will still keep my Friday evening free for that, though. I have a new one I want to start soon. :)

• Like 1

Good morning Nerdfitness! :)

11 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

What book did you read? :)

One of George R.R. Martin's Early works. "Dying of the Light" I am not entirely sure what to think about it. The story was ok, but mostly there is a lot of philosophical discussion about identity, prejudice, culture, giving a name to things and clinging to things that are dead. I would recommend to read it if only so you can make up your own mind about it.

Day 3:

Woke up at 6h30 am, did my morning routine and went for a walk. It was nice, though I wish I had gone out a tad earlier since there were a bit too many people out already. Also used a bit of free time to start reading "The Buddha in your mirror" Though I only covered the preface so far. A good start overall. :)

• Like 2

Good morning.

39d259ed0288cfc8351b41dfbfc71f04.jpg

I need more of this in my life.

20 hours ago, Aeri-sand said:

Intriguing book title.

- - - -

Sent from my capsule using a telepathic squirrel.

Buddha in Your mirror or Dying of the Light? :D

31/01 Recap

Good day. Got everything in that I wanted to. Reached out to my ex. There were some things we needed to go over and we ended up speaking an hour on the phone. It felt quite good. Setting goals for my project work, though I am not that good at following my own deadlines yet due to a lack of motivation. I did get quite far though.I am confident that I will have a first animation draft ready at the end of this weekend. Which I can then work on again when I get back from my conference. :)

Week 0 Day 4:

Morning Routine Check
Bodyweight Workout Check? :)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Aeri-sand said:

Re: Buddha in the mirror

- - - -

Sent from my capsule using a telepathic squirrel.

Ah , it's a book written an introduction to nichiren buddhism and how we can implement it in our daily lives. It is also part of why I am hanging with the druids this month. I am only past the introduction though, so I can't go into much more depth there. :)

01/04 Recap:

Yeah, um, so this happened.

Day 5 - 02/04

I woke up this morning to the joys of a food hangover. I have a headache, feel dehydrated and want to throw up at the mere sight of food. Even if I wanted to eat something, I could not. It doesn't help that in my weird state yesterday I burnt some toast and that the smell is still around.

I still managed to get out of bed at 6h30 and do some meditation and mobility work. Me knee has been hurting quite a bit though so I decided to skip the knee work. I also decided not to do any particularly intense leg exercises for this month. Some people skip leg days for months at a time so I guess I can skip it for a couple weeks? :P

In all seriousness, the intermediate knee routine is actually quite demanding when done properly, so I am not worried about losing leg strength. Also, I will be starting foundation soon and that has quite a few low-impact exercises in it anyhow. :) I really, really want my knee to heal, though. At the moment, it keeps getting better, then worse. :/

Next week is a rest week due to being at a conference, hopefully that will help heal a bit and I will also be moving my workout schedule from Wed - Fri - Sun to Mon - Wed - Fri now that I have waking up at 6h30 figured out. :) So that means I will start again with only two workout days, and i might keep that schedule until the end of the challenge and just do upper-body focus and abs during the weekend instead.

• Like 1

Week 0 Recap:

15b30d6fef0fe2a27706850452ef5420.jpg

I haven't talked about it here, but there is actually a story behind this image. Suffice it to say that I have realised this week exactly how true that statement is.

Anyhow, recap:

Spoiler

Fitness Goal: Make fitness an integral part of my daily life to ensure better health and well-being.  

Goal 1: Morning routine: 7/7

Goal 2: Evening routine: 7/7

Goal 3: Lunch Break 
Starts April 13th

Life goal: Master self-discipline without neglecting the people I love

Goal 1: Battling the Monkey

Ok, I actually forgot to track points during the past three days. That is how much keeping a schedule has become second nature to me. I guess habits really do take just a month.

Goal 2: Do not isolate yourself

• Update Daily Log 7/7
  • Check into challenge forums once a week. LoL ended up checking in every day. x)
  • Call home once a week -Done

Goal 3: Walk towards success

• Work on main project daily. Check. I even worked on this today in fact. x)
  • Apply to at least five internships and jobs

Goal 4: Leisure

• One evening per week will be dedicated to reading only. Check.

Sunday is a rest day. Check

Overall, a very sucessful week, and one I am very happy about. ^^ The +1 system works really well and gives me just enough flexibility to cater to my needs. A minor downside is that I have had issues going on small binges and cannot really pinpoint why. I will reflect on this and eventually add this to my discipline game, given how well it worked out for other stuff.

You will have noticed a slight change in scheduling: I will be taking a week off until the 13th and starting all my other goals then. There are two reason for this:

1) I realised I cannot realistically achieve my goals during the upcoming conference
2) my knee suddenly got a lot worse after getting better, and I don't want to stress it further.

Next week I will be gone and busy, so don't be surprised if I will be off the radar; I will still try and check in on Sunday, although I don't expect to have done much. These conferences have ridiculous timetables and I will have plenty responsibilities to look after, so I ^mostly consider myself out of the game for next week. I will still give an update of how it went, though. :)

Cheers to all!

• Like 2