In Which Sarah Barr Stays on the Forest Path (Challenge 17)

On April 2, 2016 at 7:41 AM, Terah said:

ftfy ;)

You sound like a true Hollywood writer (or the Scottish version of one that is ;) )

can confirm

*nods*

Glad you're feeling better! The new play sounds awesome. I want to read *grabby hands*

• Like 2

level 21 magic cat druid, doodlie for life

sucking at something is the first step to being sort of good at something

past challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Current

(old) Battle LogBattle Log

I will post play script here once it gets performed! I think no matter how final I call the script I have, it'll still change right up to the performance. Which is a good thing, for sure. 

Day 12 Update:

- On track.

- Off to the Land of Bad Broadband this weekend to help parents garden, since I am feeling better, so I probably won't be able to update over the weekend. 

-  Also brought my secret spice mix with me so I can make my special rice and beans for my parents. (One of the secret ingredients is coconut milk powder. It is magical. It's like the ground cinnamon of coconut based things.)

- Implant comes out on Monday, nervous but it'll be fine. And worth it. 

- FINALLY realised that I am seeing barely any updates at all from anyone this challenge because my subscription settings are different this challenge for some reason. Was wondering why only Snarky had been posting updates! I have a lot of catching up to do when I get back. <3

• Like 6

Sarah Barr - Level 13 Warhobbit

STR 18 | DEX 7 | STA 17 | CON 38 | WIS 28 | CHA 12

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

Instagram (Things I have painted or made.)

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

I do find that it is harder to check in on those who aren't posting regularly.  

Have a fun weekend with the 'rents and good luck on Monday.  You're right.  You will be fine.  

When is the performance for the play?  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Have a fun weekend with the 'rents and good luck on Monday.  You're right.  You will be fine.  

When is the performance for the play?  

Weekend was good! I managed to do plenty of gardening, enough that the mattress of leaves smothering the whole thing is cleared, and the shrubs aren't quite so monstrous. Also means I got in a great deal of healthy, outdoor exercise, which makes me even happier since I got the implant out today. It was entirely painless thanks to the joy of local anaesthetic, and I got a great big fabric bandage (just for applying pressure) that I plan to find some sort of craft purpose for. 

The play's on the 22nd - we get to meet our directors tonight (there are two, so they get about seven students each). Feeling fairly confident that my staging won't be too tricky. It's set in a forest, and there will not be any set beyond a couple of chairs, but I'm confident because when you hear someone say "we are in the heart of a deep, dark forest", that's straightforward enough to imagine. 

• Like 4

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

Oh, update. Yes. Fitness. That thing. 

Struggled over weekend because of available food, so while the food itself was standard middle-of-nowhere vegetarian fare (i.e. something involving cheese, carbs and not much else) I managed to limit myself to reasonable portions. Happy to be back by my own cooker. Had fake steak with jasmine rice, sweet chilli sauce, mango and avocado yesterday, which was refreshing. Scales did say 102.7 this morning. I will be under 100 by the end of this challenge, though. I just need to focus. 

• Like 5

To-Do List

I will be under 100 by the end of this challenge, though. I just need to focus. 

You can do this!

• Like 1
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

April 12th Update:

I could do with some sort of hard reboot. Finding it very difficult to get back on track - I want to find a way to avoid chaos when I have to miss my food prep/cleaning/laundry day. Not sure how. I can't find time to do those things before/after work on weekdays because everywhere's full of flatmates. If my laptop worked properly I'd be able to work from home one day a week, set myself up in the kitchen, and be able to monitor emails etc. while preparing veggies. Not going to rant about that. 

Better than that, I stopped moping and just bought a new bloody laptop. It's a wee refurbished whatsit for £110 so I'm not expecting bells, whistles and the ability to play Guild Wars 2, and I'll need to be careful with money for the rest of the month, but it'll be fine for emails and spreadsheets. My routine's a little more antifragile from now on. 

I am so pleased about my arm. I was worried it'd be smarting fiercely today but I have full range of motion and no troubles. My GP said to avoid weightlifting for a couple of days, and I've not done any since I got ill (still a bit sick), BUT I could definitely get back in there once I stop coughing. No worries. 

Action Plan:

- Ask partner to stick a load of laundry in the wash. 

- Go to office kitchen, and drink half a pint of fresh, ice cold water. 

- At 17:30, chug that can of energy drink lurking in my bag, get on bus home.

- Caffeine should hit by 17:50, just in time for getting off the bus. 

- Stick washed laundry into dryer. 

- Stick a quadruple batch of rice on to boil, with some soya beans and sweetcorn. 

- Do dishes while rice cooks. Set rice aside when done.

- Chug another half pint of water. 

- Go to bedroom, plug in phone, fire up the following song - DO NOT TOUCH LAPTOP.

- Be a wheel, be a wheel, roll, feel, etcetera.

- Clear floor and desk in 4 minutes and 41 seconds. This may be achieved by wedging things into drawers. 

- I'M THE MAAAN ON THE SII-ILVER MOUN-TAAAAIN

- LEAVE BEDROOM after song finishes. 

- Rice is now rested a bit. Add sweet chilli sauce, divide into four portions, put two in fridge, put one into partner's face, put one into own face. Remain in kitchen. 

- Do dinner dishes. 

- Chug one more half pint of water. 

- Go back into bedroom, put on this song:

- Now, (Ronnie James) Do some more tidying, for 4 minutes and 6 seconds.

- It is now somewhere around 7:00-7:30pm. Laundry should be done. 

- Put laundry away. 

- Lay out clean clothes for the morning.

- Shower. 

- More water.

- We may now return to our scheduled programme of sitting.

• Like 6

To-Do List

Glad everything went well with the arm and you can return to lifting soon-ish.  I am with you on finding anti-fragile ways to make up for a lost prep day.  I scheduled a trip over Weekend 0 specifically because I did not want to deal with not being home on Sunday plan day.  Great job workout around it though.  I love your to-do list.  You make tidying seem so manageable.  

• Like 1

Spoiler

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

I stopped moping and just bought a new bloody laptop

Yes! You go girl, take control! :)

I could do with some sort of hard reboot.

There is  a word for that: Perkele!

yHBmJ.gif

• Like 3
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Feeling much more on the ball today!

Yes! You go girl, take control! :)

There is  a word for that: Perkele!

Oh yeah! PERKELEEEEE!

giphy.gif

Ok, I have two days before the play submission, and... 11 days before a short play submission deadline open to all ages instead of just my group of 18-25ers... and three weeks till a short story submission deadline for the Edinburgh book festival...

And a gentleman from a youth theatre company came to our last class and asked us to, basically, hit him with our best shot. Something around 40 minutes long with a cast of about 25. Class leader strongly encouraged us to go for it. When I was a kid, I was obsessed with cryptozoology and ghosts, so I think it'll have to involve a monster hunt. And musical numbers. I've never written anything to be watched or performed by children before, but I'm looking forward to it because kids aren't as afraid as adults to tell you that your play is boring or makes absolutely no sense. 

I am of course going to submit something for all of them because I hate myself, apparently. It's going to be good. 

Fitness!

- Food! Healthy, non-buttery rice/fake chicken/real bean dish in fridge at home, soup in fridge at work, set up for a well-fregetabled day.

- Exercise! My floor space is clear in my bedroom so I am determined to do some yoga today and ease back into things. 

- Self-care! Today it'll be extra water and/or freggies. 

- Punishment! I have suspended the Idiot Jar and punishment system for the duration of my illness but it's reinstated as of right now. Dun dun dun. 

• Like 6

To-Do List

PERKELE!  We haven't had a proper dance party in ages.  Yoga and self care - great way to get back in the game. 

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/38854/crazy-dance-and-side-burns-o.gif

• Like 1

Spoiler

OK, that gif didn't embed... Let's try this again..

jozin-z-bazin-dance-o.gif

• Like 1

Spoiler

"the dog who could imagine"

This makes me very happy. 

April 14th Update:

- Things on track, although I have somehow lost my notebook. I acquired some A2 paper, though, so I can make a huge chart to cover the next couple of challenges.

- Repotted some cacti and planted some wildflower seeds yesterday - I can't find a way to secure my window boxes to my windowsill without drilling holes (yay, renting) but I will figure something out. 

- Bought some egregiously bright vests. I will not wear only brown and black this summer. I will get enough sun that you can't see all the veins in my torso.
- Bored of this week, I demand that it ends within the next few days. 

- Have yet to have a coughing fit today. I shall say no more than that. No jinxing. 

- Tomorrow, though, I suspect I will have the energy to go through all your threads and see how you've been doing! <3

• Like 6

To-Do List

She danced for a second in my email inbox! :D

Script submitted. Gulp. Posted it below if you want to read it, and I still have time during the rehearsal day to make changes so if there's something jarring, please let me know!

(Notes for people with small humans who might read over shoulders: There's no swearing, but the plot consists of two people summoning the ghost of their friend. I am terrible at knowing what's appropriate for kids, so am being cautious and assuming that this is not.)

(P.S. The formatting may or not be terrible since it's pasted in from a word file.)

<spoiler>

Horse Tonic

By Sarah Barr

[A forest clearing, on the cusp of a winter dawn. In the centre of the stage are two standing stones, cunningly disguised as chairs for staging purposes. Squat, dusty, and wide enough to stand on.

There is silence. And then the pounding of boots.

Enter ALICE [stage right], thorn-mauled and panting. She stops in her tracks, and slowly stalks towards the stones.]

ALICE: Ancient stones, crouching sentinels cloaked in dust and time, I greet thee. Even the bramble cannot choke you here where the heart of the forest lies so dark. Except for today. Doom may close around my shoulders and bare its teeth, but here stand the axe and shield to free me.

[She rubs the top of the nearest stone.]

ALICE [calling behind her]: This way!

[To the stone] Adrift in a sea of spider threads and amber eyes. These leaden boughs of pine sigh like waves. Did you find this harbour, Molly? The trees are so deep, here, like a blanket we can hide behind. Away from the storm that swallowed you and screams at me. You're so many fathoms below. I can't bear to do anything but pull you up to the surface. You were our compass. I wish I had learned how to read the sky like you, taste the air and know what to do. I'll listen to you, this time, I hope.

[Enter BRIDGET [stage right], stumbling. She bends double, clutching her thighs, and gulps in air.]

ALICE: And barely a spare second![plants a foot on her stone; looks at Bridget, still doubled over.] Come ON!

[Bridget holds out a finger of parley.]

BRIDGET: Breathing. Hangonamoment.

ALICE: We don't have a moment, the dawn approaches!

[Alice climbs onto her rock, crouches on the top, and fumbles for a crumpled pamphlet in her pocket.]

BRIDGET: If you hadn't spent our last shilling on that, we could've eaten breakfast.

ALICE: It's called an investment.

BRIDGET: By idiots.

ALICE: Just mount the stone!

[Bridget hauls herself on top of the other rock.]

ALICE: The urn!

BRIDGET [fishing a bottle out of her pocket]: Call it that till you turn purple, it'll still be an old horse tonic bottle.

ALICE: Quiet, it's starting!

[Alice extends her arms out in a Y above her head, chest thrust out, and legs like columns. Bridget copies.]

ALICE: Ferryman, Lord of the Dead, return

A soul, to speak once more to us

While winter solstice sun does burn,

And take our gift of coffin dust.

BRIDGET [recoiling from bottle]: Dammit, Alice!

ALICE: Just tip it out!

BRIDGET [uncorks, sniffs] You know this is just fire ash? There's bits of foil in it. [Tips a little out]

ALICE: Molly McNair, Waken and Rise,

Spurn your slumber and open your eyes,

A moment of life we have bartered for thee,

From the Deep of death, we summon thee!

[Silence.]

BRIDGET: Old Mother Bismal's rhyming dictionary have a page missing, then?

[Behind them enters Molly [centre], a drowned spirit, in the beam of dazzling morning sunlight that shines between the stones. Bridget, spotting her, freezes in shock. Alice fails to notice.]

ALICE: WE SUMMON THEE!

MOLLY: WHAT!

[Alice screams and falls to the ground.]

BRIDGET [voice wavering]: Oioi, Molly.

[Bridget goes to Molly, and they hug.]

MOLLY: Bridget! How are ye?

ALICE: Is it really her, or some cruel Shade from my mind?

[Molly bows sarcastically.]

BRIDGET: We've got a problem, Molly.

[Alice extends a trembling finger towards the ghost.]

ALICE: O Spirit, I bind thee to this mortal realm!

[Molly flashes Alice a polite smile.]

MOLLY [to Bridget]: What happened this time?

BRIDGET: Well, you know the pub?

MOLLY: The Salty Badger, Jewel of Dives, which I paid someone else to build with their own two hands, my pride and joy, which I only sold to you two so I could buy my ship?

[Bridget shuffles.]

MOLLY: That Pub?

BRIDGET: That Pub.

MOLLY: What about That Pub?

BRIDGET: Right, so, Billy said we'd get a huge surge in business if we started selling whisky instead of just beer-with-gravy-in-it-

MOLLY: Don't you knock my Beef Beer.

[Alice flicks through her pamphlet of instructions.]

BRIDGET: And then he said that we'd pull in a more up-and-coming demographic if we also made cocktails.

MOLLY: What's a cocktail?

BRIDGET: Well, we're starting off with whisky-with-beer-with-gravy-in-it, and seeing how we go. Anyway, we were juggling the whisky bottle, and it just sort of flew off into an oil lamp, and-

MOLLY: You burned down my pub.

BRIDGET [nodding in sober agreement]: Billy burned down your pub.

MOLLY: Thanks, I feared the final words I heard would remain “But we sold the lifeboat for rum money, Captain”, but this is a real improvement.

[Alice tosses a little of the ash over Molly's head.]

ALICE: Stygian Echo of Drownèd Soul,

Reveal the Secret of Thy Demise!

BRIDGET [to Molly]: It was her idea.

MOLLY: What do you want, Alice? Use words you could spell, please.

ALICE [defeated]: We need to know where you sank. We lost everything in that fire. We need our deposit back.

MOLLY: You know the phrase “lost at sea”, Alice?

[Alice nods. She begins to silently sob, sinking down against her stone.]

MOLLY: Everything, she said?

BRIDGET: And Billy.

MOLLY: I'm sorry.

[Molly crouches beside Alice, and rubs her shoulder.]

ALICE: I don't know what to do.

MOLLY: I can't fix it.

[She picks up the pamphlet and wipes Alice's cheek with it. Alice sniffles. Molly holds it to her nose.]

MOLLY: Blow.

[Alice obliges. Molly pauses, staring at the writing.]

MOLLY: What the hell is this?

ALICE: Well, pardon me for having a cold, how about you sleep in a hedge for three months?

[Molly uncrumples the paper, starts pacing, engrossed in it.]

MOLLY: Where did you get this?

BRIDGET: This new old woman down the town, got a wagon full of herbs and things that go “plink”.

MOLLY [grabbing Bridget's hand]: Bridget, you have to take me to her, I can't go back, it's Hell, Bridget, it's oblivion without obliviousness, staring into nothing, I can't think, I can't remember, I'm just there, please, Bridget!

BRIDGET: Alice, what do I do?

ALICE [watching the light begin to fade]: I'm sorry, Molly.

[As the light disappears, Molly is pulled back between the rocks and out of sight. Exit, centre. Bridget rubs the spot where Molly's hand had touched. Wipes her eyes before Alice sees.]

BRIDGET: I hope Bismal gave you a receipt.

ALICE: The whole of winter you've been mocking everything. Now even losing her again. Can't you take it seriously for a moment?

BRIDGET: I tried that. It was not particularly enjoyable.

ALICE: And so you heap all the burden on my back?

BRIDGET: I haven't bled in four months.

[Alice processes this.]

ALICE: It's Billy's, then.

BRIDGET: Of course it is, and what do you think I've been doing while you flounce about looking for some magical cure for destitution? His father spat in my face. I don't know what I'm going to do, Alice. Every path in front of me has its own monster lurking beyond the next bend. All I can do is pretend to be brave, and play it like a game, until it's safe to take it seriously. I'll go mad if I don't.

ALICE: What ARE we going to do?

BRIDGET: Find some magical cure for destitution.

[Bridget picks up the snotty pamphlet, remembers its condition and drops it.]

BRIDGET: You think Bismal would make any money if she sold spells that worked? Of course not, you need your return clients. I'd bank on you having just enough belief that any flicker in a flame from your own fervent breath is an answer from the dead.

ALICE: I know you saw her! It was really her! You insulted me together!

BRIDGET: And that means...?

ALICE: ...And that means that I...

BRIDGET: Yes?

ALICE: That I shouldn't have let you drink all that horse tonic.

BRIDGET: NO! It means that against all reason and fairness, there's a real gift lurking in your head next to the duckling holding the reins! For as long as we avoid getting burnt at the stake, we're rich! [Grabs Alice's shoulders] Do you know what we're going to do, right now, Alice?

ALICE [Triumphantly]: Save Molly!

[Bridget pauses.]

BRIDGET: Am I a terrible person, Alice?

ALICE: Everyone who asks that question knows the answer. You'll forgive me, though, for snapping?

BRIDGET: Nothing to forgive, my daft Fairy Queen. And I hear Hell's quite mild this time of year. Come on, let's go burgle an elderly woman's caravan.

[They link arms, and exit together.]

</spoiler>

• Like 5

To-Do List

(Welp, that spoiler worked. And when I edit I get a big warning sign with a space for an error message and no message, so I don't really know how to fix that.)

To-Do List

(Welp, that spoiler worked. And when I edit I get a big warning sign with a space for an error message and no message, so I don't really know how to fix that.)

This has been an issue for a few days. Nobody can edit anything. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. 

Scrolling up to read the play now :D 

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten