House Beautifying

Make further progress on any of the following:

• bathroom organisation
  • bedroom tidying
  • spare bedroom decluttering
  • house entranceway tidying & cleaning

Mini Habits

Start & maintain the following daily activities:

1. Record the start & end time of daily household cleaning & tidying.
  2. Speak word of thanks for having the gift of this day.
  3. Lay out yoga mat with rolled up towel on it.
  4. Bring notebook and pen with me on work commute (3 days/week).  Take notebook & pen out of bag while on the tube 'to' journey & write 10 words.
  5. Turn off television when I come downstairs, having put baby to bed.

Re-defining 'Achievement'

Part of the reason my bedtime is later than I want is because I often feel like I haven't "achieved" enough for the day.
So I need to redefine what achievement 'looks like'.

I will feel I have been productive if:

1. I have not watched television in the evening (Tuesday - Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners and Saturday - The Voice are allowed exceptions)
  2. When necessary, I make a list of required internet tasks I need to complete that evening, and stick to just those.

Shoring up the Small Things

I have a number of minor things on my to-do list.  The longer they stay there, the more irritating they become.  
As they are generally not 'important'/'urgent', they tend not to get scheduled.

I will prioritise the completion of minor tasks, because having lots of small, undone things causes psychic clutter!

Foooooooood

1. I will use my oven
  2. I will use my slow cooker

In both these cases, this involves:

• reading the instructions
  • following any necessary pre-requisites (e.g. oven needs to be on at max temp for 1/2 hr before I use it for the first time)
  • finding an appropriate recipe
  • buying appropriate food
  • using the device

I think the slow cooker could potentially be a gateway to a healthier & more productive life.

• Like 2

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Start weight: 128 lbs

Quite happy with this.  Losing another 5 lbs would take me to my ideal weight!

• Like 1

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Facebook

Here for a reciprocal follow.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

3 hours ago, Sunmage said:

Welcome back!

*waves enthusiastically*

I like that druid-warrior quote in your signature!  Inspiring :)

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Here for a reciprocal follow.

*bows*  I'm honoured!  If anyone can kick ass, the Thundercats can, so I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on, and which character you find easiest to match! :)

• Like 1

-- Facebook

Wanted to report on an early success!  

I've only just started reading a book about mini-habits but I think there's a lot going for the idea.  So I set a goal to write 10 words while on my 20-min tube commute (should be do-able, right?!).

This evening, I figured, "oh I don't need to start today" - but then I managed to get a seat on the train and I pulled out the notebook, figuring "how hard can it be?"

Anyway, in about 5 or so minutes, I'd written over 120 words and the total this evening (without any particular effort on my part, but a rush of sudden enthusiasm) is now over 200.  

Not bad for a goal of 10 words!

I'll be starting some of the other mini-habits in a couple of days time.

• Like 2

-- Facebook

Good for you. I'll bet at the end of the challenge you're amazed at what "just 10 words" leads you to produce.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Good for you. I'll bet at the end of the challenge you're amazed at what "just 10 words" leads you to produce.

I really hope so!

This morning was also productive - I started writing as soon as I got on the tube (it's a 20-min journey) and churned out another 400 words!

Last night I watched my favourite guilty pleasure on the TV, Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners.  Things I learned:

• cocktail sticks are good for cleaning in tiny grooves (looks like other people use hair grips for awkward small spots too)
  • warm soapy water is an effective way of cleaning your microwave
  • orange oil is a good degreaser
  • sugar soap is a good cleaner (e.g. in sinks)

I had never even heard of the last two!  

• Like 1

-- Facebook

What a lovely challenge!

And I adored my crock pot when I was doing decluttering and Paleo and Pilates. I would set a hen on top of onion and garlic and a bit of olive oil in the pot, toss in some water or broth, sprinkle pepper and oregano over the hen and put chunks of sweet potatoes and carrots around the edges of the crock pot -on high- before I left for Pilates. When I came home three hours later, the house smelled great, the kitchen was still clean, and lunch was ready for a plate and a fork. Any leftovers went into a Rubbermaid for lunch at work the next day and the crock pot basin got cleaned easily, dried and put back in its base. Then, usually, Vivian and I took a bath and a nap. :)

Bonus: I usually put the sheets in the washer before leaving and in the dryer when I got home, so after lunch and bath, we had fresh clean bedding to sink into.

• Like 1

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 |

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Hi Heidi

I love how organised you are!  This is what I aspire to (minus the hen ;)) Life is better with optimised routines, eh! :)  And if there is a pleasant aroma in the kitchen, even better - I hadn't considered that! :)

-- Facebook

So on Wednesday I found a DIY cleaning recipe comprising only distilled white vinegar, lemon juice and dish soap (we call it washing up liquid).

Today, here are the results!!  I'll let you guess which is BEFORE and which is AFTER ;-)

image%202_zpsf2s9kztf.jpg

image_3_zps0ugy3hbt.jpg

image_1_zpsg4dnljct.jpg

image_4_zps6vkcfru9.jpg

image_2_zpspdnvvuig.jpg

image_5_zpsmvrx5k2x.jpg

Not perfect but so much better!  As someone who has always struggled to get a shiny sink, I am very pleased with these results! (as you can tell :) )  Not much physical effort went into the cleaning either - just required a scrubby sponge, toothbrush and I used a bit of dental floss too :)

• Like 1

-- Facebook

On 3/29/2016 at 6:49 AM, Eirlys said:

Re-defining 'Achievement'

Part of the reason my bedtime is later than I want is because I often feel like I haven't "achieved" enough for the day.
So I need to redefine what achievement 'looks like'.

I will feel I have been productive if:

1. I have not watched television in the evening (Tuesday - Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners and Saturday - The Voice are allowed exceptions)
  2. When necessary, I make a list of required internet tasks I need to complete that evening, and stick to just those.

Foooooooood

1. I will use my oven
  2. I will use my slow cooker

In both these cases, this involves:

• reading the instructions
  • following any necessary pre-requisites (e.g. oven needs to be on at max temp for 1/2 hr before I use it for the first time)
  • finding an appropriate recipe
  • buying appropriate food
  • using the device

I think the slow cooker could potentially be a gateway to a healthier & more productive life.

Love the idea of redefining achievement!  It takes so much stress out of life.

Slow cookers = love.  Embrace yours.

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

Thanks relic and Leimanu :)

I've been absent due to a terrible couple of weeks (some of the worst in my life) but have kept up with some aspects of my challenge and look forward to catching up shortly.

I am typing this on my new tablet computer - excitement! Am pleased with my choice and the fact I didn't fork out for an ipad  when this does all I need :D

-- Facebook

Going straight to a write up. ..

House beautifying - did the entranceway and have done over half the spare bedroom.  In a house of 8 rooms of varying sizes, I feel like I now have 7 1/3 to good enough standard in total.

Decluttering at least 12 items to a charity shop, posted a bagful of clothes to a women's charity and got rid ofor over 7 pairs of shoes/boots, including some ideas have been hanging on to for years in the hope I one day wear them.

Landlord has been in, fixing some things in my bathroom which is also good.

Mini habits... only managed to maintain 1, the writing one. Have probably written over 3000 words on short tube commutes. 

My evening regime got thrown into a little chaos when the TV shows I had ear marked to watch finished and I was left wanting something else to fill the time. Lesson: book relaxation times into my week, I can't work all the time!

I was ill for quite a lot of the challenge so didn't ever get to the taking stuff out of the cupboard mini habit. Maybe I have still set the bar too high there... will scale back for future. Found having a super low bar very helpful for writing, many times I didn't feel in the mood but I said, only 10 words, I can do that... and often would write over 350.

Small to do items. ..

Well, I cleared off a lot of large to do items but haven't got through too many small ones. They're there waiting for a future time...!

Cooking - utter fail.  The oven broke and I didn't even think of the slow cooker, but I had a very rough month emotionally so I am not surprised it disappeared off the radar. Some amazing friends of mine ordered me about 20 packets of freshly prepared vegan food which I kept in the fridge/freezer and helped make my evenings a lot easier, as well as eating healthier.  I have ordered some more as a stop gap to get through next month too, while I attempt to get back on top of everything. 

Overall: a difficult month, I feel I did well to come out of the end of it as well as I have done.

• Like 1

-- Facebook

Good job getting through all that difficulty with emotional stress and physical illness to come out strong.