Waldo Finishes Things

Waldo

After taking a challenge off due to a relatively static situation where no habits needed changing and nothing of note would be achieved/accomplished, its time to finish everything I set out to achieve 2 challenges ago (the last one I participated in)

Bit of my background:

- I lost 75 lbs around when I joined NF back in late 2011/early 2012

- I spent the 2012-2014 time frame building mass and getting leaner, using bodyweight primarily, losing an additional 15 lbs fat and gaining about 30 lbs of muscle

- I moved into a new house in summer 2014, which was a large disruption in all of my habits, and added new pulls on my free time, I have a shop now and like to spend my time in there building things, and there are lots of things I want to do around the house.  In 2014 and 2015 I mostly maintained.

- I hurt something in my shoulder somehow in early 2015, though I can't point to a single moment of injury (most likely not workout related).  I stopped strength training completely in the 2nd half of 2015.  Its getting better but still has a ways to go.  Taking time off didn't help at all.

- We had our 2nd little one in late 2015 (had the first a little before joining NF).

- At work we moved into a new office in 2016, and it has a fitness center with a weight room I'm free to use at lunch.  My commute also became a relaxing train ride instead of the moving parking lot that is the interstate.

- I gained a fair amount of fat with my wife and then immediately after baby's birth (~20 lbs total).  With the new year came a new effort to ditch the spare tire and get back to teh abz.

- Along with the new year I changed my approach to strength training.  I now lift weights instead of myself primarily, though my training history strongly influences my approach.

I'm not a competitive person and have no interest at competing at anything I do (bodybuilding, powerlifting, or running).  I consider myself a bodybuilder first, I train for appearance, that is where my motivation comes from.  I train for strength to build muscle.  I run to keep myself fit and heart healthy (and I enjoy it).  I am a strict calorie counter and follow a relaxed IIFYM approach, I don't believe in "clean" nonsense when it comes to food.

This challenge I finish what I started in 2016 so I can move on to bigger and better things.

1) Finish Cutting 

- I just completed a preplanned diet break a couple weeks ago, I'm back to cutting now.  My goal from the start of this cut was a waist measurement of 31 1/2".  My 6 pack point is 31 3/4", so I'm cutting 1/4" further, or about 1 lb of fat.  I should end up in the 9.5%-10.0% body fat area.  Right now (3/29) my waist is 32 5/8", so I have 1 1/8" to lose, or about 4.5 lbs of fat.  I expect to hit my goal by the end of the challenge.  I am moderate cutting now (~750 cal/day), if need be I will shift into insane cutting mode at the end to finish up (~1250 cal/day).

2) Deadlift 4 wheels (405 lbs)

- When this challenge officially begins I'll have been lifting weights for 12 weeks, I never touched a barbell prior to that.  Yesterday (3/28) I pulled 355 for 4 reps.  I've been following a linear progression for all exercises, deadlift was the last exercise to get difficult.  My plan is to add 10 lbs per workout (deadlift 2x/wk) until I can't even lift it once.  I'm trying to stick to 5 reps, but the last 2 workouts (345 and 355) I missed reps, I suspect though that cutting is becoming an interference (has a lot to do with the way I missed reps).  Assuming I'm successful with 1), 405 should be approx 2x BW.

3) ?????

- Still thinking about it.  Pull the whole stack (305) on the lat pulldown?  GTG dead hang grip work?  Do my damn yoga?

L) Finish Current Shop and Home Projects

- I've been working on a loveseat in the shop since just after Christmas and I'm almost done.  I should have finish on it in the next week or two.  Then I need to learn how to upholster, using the sewing machine I bought and make the covers for the cushions.  This marathon project is coming to a close.

- Finish replacing all the electrical outlets around the house with TP outlets (tamperproof).  Our little one is just starting to figure out how to move, he's made an army crawl movement and can kind of roll over, I have to be done by the time he's a crawler.  I've already replaced 22 outlets (2 remaining from my initial stock of 24).  I have 8 remaining to do upstairs.  Once I'm done upstairs I need to move to the basement, where I believe there are 12 outlets.  The upstairs outlets are critical to be done before baby is mobile.  The downstairs outlets are far less important, baby will get no minimally supervised play time in the basement.

On Deck (The Plan After I Finish Things)

- Bulking time!

- I'm not sure what I want to work on next in the shop when I finish, but for sure, I absolutely have to clean that sty up.  Dust, shavings, and cutoffs have built up to extreme levels.

- Next up for the house are installing a couple of sweet vintage bullet lights to light the patio that I picked up a few months ago.  There are currently some lame motion sensors lights that aren't right for the switched patio circuit, whoever put in the motion sensor lights most likely took out some sweet vintage bullet lights.  We have a really rad japanese maple that is the centerpiece of the patio (and the house really, since a wall of glass surrounds the patio) that needs directional spots on it, plus the patio lighting is terrible currently. 

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

I'm going to use my battle log to track workout detail unlike how I've done things in the past.

I don't have any recent progress pics, maybe tho I'll snap one when I reach my goal to replace this now very old avi.

Here's where I am on the loveseat I'm working on:

9e37710d-3d3d-4c6f-b339-225345299708_zps

Need to finish up the seat support; some more sanding is needed, the strap slots need to be cut, and it needs to be glued in.  Then on to finishing, which is a process moreso than an event.  But I am starting the finishing process, being Cherry it is highly photoreactive, I have it sitting out in the sun while I'm at work to darken today for the first time, and I'm going keep doing that on sunny days with no rain threat until I'm done with the finishing process.

• Like 1

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Following for the strong pulls!  And the furniture / woodshop!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal Stats: (
About Me)
Start Weight: 279.6    Current Weight: 270.1    Goal Weight: 220.0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge History: Lvl 1 Rebel, PvP, Lvl 2 Warrior, Lvl 3 Warrior

51 minutes ago, Flex Luthor said:

Curious where your other numbers are at. I've never seen someone do as much weighted bodyweight make the transition.

Well my current maxes in the legs are:

Front Squat: 215 @ 5 reps (rpe 8) 

Deadlift: 355 @ 4 reps (rpe 9)

RDL: 205 @ 15 reps (rpe 7)

I'm currently doing weighted pistols @ +40 (208 BW) for 5 reps, though after BB squats, on fresh legs I suspect that I could get 5 reps out of +50.  There is a CNS groove there though that just isn't there for BB exercises yet.  

Deadlift is a bit weird.  As an exercise, its a serious gas guzzler, missed reps have been the give up variety, where I lose motivation to go for the next rep, which I tend to associate with (a lack of) calories, esp for exercises done last.  Done first when not cutting I suspect I would have hit 5 without issue.  Creatine, if I ever start taking it again, would help with that as well.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Oh yeah deadlift can fuck you up big time. I would rather do just about anything else than a heavy set of 10's on deadlift.

I'm most curious about the CNS adaptation. We know you've got raw strength. Once you really fire up the CNS it should be a spectacular thing to watch.

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

Learning to coordinate and fire all the muscles hard is a process.

Just last week I figured out that you should hold your breath for front squat reps (been doing it for DLs for a bit).  

Eventually I should probably start using a belt on stuff (do use one for OHP work sets).

But there are weak points to work through.  Adductors for front squats, but they've improved, its not nearly as bad as it was a few weeks ago.

I think I'm missing some sort of spring action on squats.  It doesn't even make sense to my muscles why you'd even consider not going a2g on a squat, I suspect I should be flexing something on the way down to store energy (sorta like the lats with pushups (and bench press, but I haven't got that down yet either)).

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Following cause interesting stuff and maybe some HItchhiker's references ftw

Kotu4aI.jpg

• Like 1

What kind of hoopy frood do you think I am?

• Like 1

And BTW, f--- the bench.  I just don't get it, why do I suck at it so much.

Failed to hit 5 reps today @ 185.  Did 4 on the first 2 sets, then failed on rep 4 (the first mid-rep failure I've had with the barbell).

I can do something around 10 weighted dip reps at +40 (208 BW).  I can drop down and do 30 pushups without issue (and I don't train them at all, surely could do way more with training) and can do 5 one arm pushups (each arm) at the moment.

There's something not right that I just can't figure out.  I shouldn't be failing here (90% BW).  I need to do a lot more bench reps.  I need the volume to figure it out.  I'm going to start modifying my workouts to do fewer dips and more bench volume.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Hey man, I'm just coming back with a new username but I believe I remember you from before and the foundational fitness forums.  Either way I'm following along.

Congrats on the second kid!

Spoiler

Currently...

Playing (Video Game): RDR2

DMing: Tyranny of Dragons.  First session 11/29.

Broba Fett tracks em down.

Facebook (Personal)  Facebook (Author Page)

Past Challenges:

20 hours ago, Waldo said:

I think I'm missing some sort of spring action on squats.  It doesn't even make sense to my muscles why you'd even consider not going a2g on a squat, I suspect I should be flexing something on the way down to store energy (sorta like the lats with pushups (and bench press, but I haven't got that down yet either)).

The bounce only really matters for lifting max weight. The ROM probably matters more, or someone equally, for hypertrophy.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

10 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

The bounce only really matters for lifting max weight. The ROM probably matters more, or someone equally, for hypertrophy.

Right, but to get that bounce you have to flex something at a particular point in time.  I have no idea as to the what or when of that.

Just an example of the sort of CNS stuff I'm working though.  Lots of work yet to go on the skill of barbell strength.

Remember, I'm pretty much still in every work set of every exercise of every workout is a PR mode.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

2 hours ago, Flex Luthor said:

Lucky bastard

Enjoying it.

Nice change from add a rep or two over the course of a few months.

And the oddity of severely diminishing returns with BW work, where you are so deleveraged that you appear to lose strength when bulking and gain strength when cutting.  The absolute mass of weights is definitely a nice change in that regard.

Though I'm still doing front lever work, which I'm sure will become "ram head into wall" work in short order given that I spent the better part of 2 years trying to get past the one leg hold.  But, I have given up on the planche, aka "futility", for good.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Ran outside last night (~4 miles), perfect time of year.

Moved up to 220 today on the front squat (triples) and 365 on the deadlift.  Was only able to hit a triple on the deadlift.  Also moved my RDL working weight up to 225 (for 10).  Going to have to add more weight to the ab machine to prevent lifting it when doing natural ham curls.

Waist was 32 1/2".  Only 1" to go.  Which is good, because its getting hard to keep this cut going.  I don't have the motivation to cut harsh at the moment.  As long as I can hit -3500 per week I should be good to go.  I'm keeping MFP set at -750, though I really only hit my target on Mon, Tue, Thur, and Fri.  Scale had been stuck for a while, but I finally dipped under 207 yesterday.  There's almost no chance I'm going to finish this cut under 200 now (a good thing).

• Like 1

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Was reading a battle log and it occurred to me I might be missing something on the deadlift with my form.

Only once have I ever touched my shins with the bar.  Perhaps I'm not sitting back as much as I should?  I feel my form is good; the shoulder setup is just like a front lever, I drive my heels through the floor with my hips.

Is shin scraping normal for everyone?

If I sat/fell back even more, there would be a bit of an effect where my weight would assist (sort of like leaning back in a tug of war match).

Finally got to play with my new router last night.  I got a sweet little Dewalt trim router for Christmas, but hadn't used it yet.  I just hadn't found a use on the loveseat to this point and virtually all of my bits are 1/2" bits (which is better for my big router), even if I had wanted to use it.  But cutting the slots for the straps was the perfect use for it, so I picked up a 1/4" downcut spiral bit (and a miniature chamfer bit).  

Man oh man that little thing is nice.  So much easier to control by hand than my big router, so quick to adjust setup.  I used a straightedge for the strap slots.  I'm making a shallow mortise as well where the straps cross the wood so that its roughly flush with the straps installed.  I was just going to hack that out with my chisels, but that was way slow (and there are 24 total to do!).  One of the 1/4" bits I did have was from a door hinge mortising set (though the bearing busted off, so it is of no use for pattern routing).  I did one against a straightedge, but then gave it a go freehand for the next, damn that went quick and easy.  I could absolutely never freehand my big router like that.

I got about 1/3rd of the way done with the strap slots/mortises last night.  Should finish them up today or tomorrow.  Then I have to glue the seat support to the frame, clean up the glue seams, and add a chamfer to an edge, and I'm ready to put finish on it.

• Like 1

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Shin scrapes require longer socks, and are normal for me.

Personal Stats: (
About Me)
Start Weight: 279.6    Current Weight: 270.1    Goal Weight: 220.0

Challenge History: Lvl 1 Rebel, PvP, Lvl 2 Warrior, Lvl 3 Warrior