• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Terra

Terra’s Secret Identity is Barbara Gordon (for the next two of months!)

Who is Barbara Gordon???  She is an amazingly smart and driven lady who eventually becomes Batgirl.  Later she is shot by the Joker and is paralysed.  After her injury she become Oracle and fights crime from her wheel chair.  Batgirl and Oracle are an amazing combination of superheros coming from an ordinary human.  Barbara Gordon’s story is pretty cool and I love how it lines up with my life!!!   http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Barbara_Gordon_(New_Earth)

I’m going to keep this theme for the next two months because it fits. 

Batgirl_(Bruce_Timm's_art).jpg

Right now I am still mobile and can do lots of things so I am ready to become Batgirl like Barbara Gordon.  I’m just want to maintain my superhero status, doing all that I can to be a better me and help the Rangers. 

• Barbara is athletic and practices martial arts, including BJJ (PERFECT!) I will continue my classes at gym so I can be ready to become Batgirl. I typically watch the BJJ classes as I can't do much with the bumm knee, but I do everything in the conditioning classes that I can and when I can't do what they are doing I do my PT exercises!
  •  Barbara commits herself to academic achievement - I will continue to eat paleo and make adjustments for my lower activity levels. (It’s a learning process to see what I need while injured!)  
  •  Barbara has a photographic memory – I will use the skills in my memory to continue making the purses as an achievement. 
  • Barbara believes that she can become like her idol (Batman) if she pushes herself enough.  I will bolster that positive attitude and make one statement that is positive in every post here!  It might be a gratitude statement or it might be something I like about myself.  What ever it is it will be geared towards keeping me mentally positive through a challenging couple of months! 

These life skills give Barbara the opportunity to rescue Batman and ultimately become Batgirl!!! 

SURGERY on April 18th will be an ACL repair for sure.  Then they will scope the LCL damage in the outside of my knee and decide if the LCL also needs to be repaired (right now the MRI and physical manipulation show significant damage!)  If the LCL need repairing they will do it while I am still under, so only one surgery event!  The LCL is not arthroscopic and will require a significant incision (future battle scars!!!!)   The recovery for ACL repair only will have me walking within a couple weeks of surgery.  ACL plus LCL will be much harder with mandatory 6 weeks non-load bearing on my left leg.   And thus I will become Oracle like for the second half of my challenge!

The Joker shot Barbara Gordon and she was paralyzed.  Changes like this can send us mere humans into depressions!  However Barbara finds a way to become a powerful superhero again.  While I will loose the use of my legs, temporarily, I will still be able to do things that can be useful. (I’ll take a one week break post-surgery to get healed from the worst of the damage!)

38e848513c73325921015804cce48a73.jpg

·      Barbara continues to learn and find new ways to be productive and so will I.  Eating, crafting, positivity goals will not change post-surgery! 

•       Barbara learned more martial arts to protect herself while in a wheelchair. So I will watch an instructional BJJ video 3-4 times a week and perform core/upper body exercises, as I am able.  I want to stay as strong as possible during this period of time!!!

•      Barbara was always trying to find a way to get back on her feet – thus I will be vigilant about doing my physical therapy as directed.  This is what will return me to my former glory as a true superhero!!

This two-month challenge will be perfectly timed.  The end date of the May challenge is June 4th.  Six weeks post surgery is June 6th.  And I leave on Vacation on June 8th 

• Like 13

What a perfect theme for your challenge!  I really admire your positive attitude about the whole thing!

One workout suggestion I have is to work on your dips.  When my leg was out of commission, I had to do a lot of dip type action to go from the couch to the floor (for some PT exercises), back up to the couch, etc.  Having your arms be really strong with the downward pushing motions is so helpful when you're on crutches. :) 

• Like 6

Batgirl_by_Nowlan.jpg

Batgirl reporting in!  I went to BJJ last night.  Had to watch it all and there are times that it make me very sad to be there on the sidelines just watching...  I know that I can still learn by being there, its just hard to always be on the sidelines.  :blue:  I did the conditioning class with just a few modifications.  It was fun!  Professor gave me a big hug and told me how happy he was that I was still coming to classes.  He also told me to let people I hurt my knee at Crossfit not BJJ class, LOL!  ;)  I want home starving and overate taco salad.  

I've got to reign in the food right now because I'm eating too much with my reduced activity levels.  But I'm not sure what changes to make...  Right not I'm aiming for 1700 calories with 100g+ protein with less than 100g carbs and not worrying about the fats.  I might drop the calories a bit, reduce the carbs (with a once a week higher carb day) and I'll think about watching the fats...  Something to think about.  I can feel the physical effects of the lower activities in my belly, yuck!!!

Today I am grateful for the lack of significant pain in my knee right now.  I am fairly mobile and able to do a lot, as long as I am careful!  

• Like 8

YES!! This is gonna be a great theme for you, Terra, and I second what Nymeria said-your attitude is wonderful about the whole thing!

batgirl.jpg

Wolf

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Terra said:

He also told me to let people I hurt my knee at Crossfit not BJJ class, LOL!  ;)

So that's where the rumors come from...

• Like 2

YES BATGIRL/ORACLE AHHHHHHHHHHH.  One of my favourite comic characters evaaarrr.  Birds of Prey is my  jam.  This makes me so happy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

So that's where the rumors come from...

Actually, I would not do that... ;) I like the crossfit guys, just not the owners of the local box.  :blue:

1 hour ago, Raxie said:

YES BATGIRL/ORACLE AHHHHHHHHHHH.  One of my favourite comic characters evaaarrr.  Birds of Prey is my  jam.  This makes me so happy.

So you will have to keep me in line as I am learning the Batgirl/Oracle story.  Any suggested reads would we most welcome!  

• Like 1

Have you read The Killing Joke?  That's the story of how she gets paralyzed in the first place.  It's a Batman classic in general and Joker's origin story to boot so if you haven't read it I'd highly recommend it.

There's also a Batgirl Year One that I really enjoyed the Batgirl portion of it. It hits on all the main points of her character and how/why Barbara became Batgirl. It's published in a book with Robin Year One as well, which is Dick Grayson's Robin, and is a fun story too.  Though I think the Batgirl Year One was much much better and worth the purchase on its own.

And I'd also definitely recommend Dixon's one shot Birds of Prey - it was the first of the series but is also self contained.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Raxie said:

Have you read The Killing Joke?  That's the story of how she gets paralyzed in the first place.  It's a Batman classic in general and Joker's origin story to boot so if you haven't read it I'd highly recommend it.

There's also a Batgirl Year One that I really enjoyed the Batgirl portion of it. It hits on all the main points of her character and how/why Barbara became Batgirl. It's published in a book with Robin Year One as well, which is Dick Grayson's Robin, and is a fun story too.  Though I think the Batgirl Year One was much much better and worth the purchase on its own.

And I'd also definitely recommend Dixon's one shot Birds of Prey - it was the first of the series but is also self contained.

Thank you!  I'm collecting books to entertain myself when I am down for recovery and I might have to add these to my collection!!!  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Terra said:

Dixon's one shot Birds of Prey

Can you help me find this?  I several comics but they look like a series...  

This is what I was specifically referring to, it's Chuck Dixon's original one-shot that got the whole series started, but it's out of print.  You'd probably be better off getting Birds of Prey Vol. 1 which is a compilation of the above story and also some other awesome stories (a mini series and a few other one-shots) in one book. So yeah, do that one if you can :D Plus it's still in print so it's probably going to be better quality than what you can get used with just the Dixon story.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Atrytone said:

Following along. I've never really immersed myself in the DC universe but I always thought Barbara Gordon was a total BAMF. It's a fitting challenge. :)

I'm doing all superheros in 2016 and its been fun.  I've never read comics much either but I'm learning more every day!!!

2 hours ago, Zirakzigil said:

I didn't know this story - so cool! Awesome theme. I'll be following your Batranger adventure!

I didn't know about it either. I asked and some of the Rangers told me about it...  Its an interesting story line and very fitting for my life, eh? 

1 hour ago, WorldSparrow said:

Great inspiration! I know how hard it can be for an active person to be off their feet for a long time, but you are going into it with the right attitude.

Thanks!  I'm sure working hard to keep my spirits high and my attitude positive.  Its making a real difference!!!  

• Like 1

I ordered a couple of comics today and then the 5 book kindle bundle of Game of Thrones.  I'm needing things to keep me entertained while I am off work in a few weeks.  Books are always good!!!  There are several GoT challenges here and I decided give it a try...  ;)

I need to do something about my sugar intake (damm dark chocolate sea salt caramel!) Now the chocolate is gone...  So not buying anymore!!!  Otherwise food has been on track and even the chocolate didn't bust my macros too bad...  

BJJ class was a good review and there was a couple of things I could do, standing chokes.  Wahoo.  Conditioning class was a killer!  Lots of abs and upper body.  I just did what I could and modified what I couldn't.  My PT was done during class!  It was a wonderful workout.  I will admit that I got sad during the BJJ class, its hard to not be out there on the mat.  

So today I am grateful for my strength and mobility!  (I have a friend who also has a torn ACL and she is struggling with pain, swelling and mobility.  All of which is impacting her ability to work. I'm trying to help her as much as I can!!!)  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Terra said:

I'm doing all superheros in 2016 and its been fun.  I've never read comics much either but I'm learning more every day!!!

Superheros are pretty great.

1 hour ago, Terra said:

I ordered a couple of comics today and then the 5 book kindle bundle of Game of Thrones.  I'm needing things to keep me entertained while I am off work in a few weeks.  Books are always good!!!  There are several GoT challenges here and I decided give it a try...  ;)

I love the books, now if only the next one would come out already!

• Like 3