• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Terra

Terra’s Secret Identity is Barbara Gordon (for the next two of months!)

9 hours ago, Terra said:

I ordered a couple of comics today and then the 5 book kindle bundle of Game of Thrones.  I'm needing things to keep me entertained while I am off work in a few weeks.  Books are always good!!!  There are several GoT challenges here and I decided give it a try...  ;)

I will admit that I got sad during the BJJ class, its hard to not be out there on the mat.  

You should be really well stocked with books, then, since each GoT book is like 800 pages. :)  If you generally find it harder to start a book, but easier to read when you're 100 pages in, then I would suggest starting GoT now.  It might be tough to get into it if you're trying to start the series while hopped up on pain meds.  But if you already have some good momentum going, you should be fine at that point.  As much as I love reading, I'd also recommend finding a series to binge watch on Netflix for the first 3 or so days post-op.  The first 3 days are really unpleasant, and you might not feel up to reading.  

And yeah..  It's okay to feel sad during BJJ.  I'm amazed by your positive attitude in general with this, but it's fine to be a bit grumpy or sad, too (and it's especially fine to come to NF and get support from the rest of us).  I'm just excited that you can be out there on the mat at all, and I'm thrilled that you can still do the conditioning class. :)  At least soon enough the surgery will be over and done with, and you'll be on the road to recovery.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Marauder said:

That is some impressive reading stack!  GoT is whoa big.

I really need a big whoa to read right now...  

15 hours ago, Atrytone said:

Superheros are pretty great.

I love the books, now if only the next one would come out already!

So many here love the GoT books and that gives me hope that I will like them too.  

7 hours ago, Nymeria said:

You should be really well stocked with books, then, since each GoT book is like 800 pages. :)  If you generally find it harder to start a book, but easier to read when you're 100 pages in, then I would suggest starting GoT now.  It might be tough to get into it if you're trying to start the series while hopped up on pain meds.  But if you already have some good momentum going, you should be fine at that point.  As much as I love reading, I'd also recommend finding a series to binge watch on Netflix for the first 3 or so days post-op.  The first 3 days are really unpleasant, and you might not feel up to reading.  

And yeah..  It's okay to feel sad during BJJ.  I'm amazed by your positive attitude in general with this, but it's fine to be a bit grumpy or sad, too (and it's especially fine to come to NF and get support from the rest of us).  I'm just excited that you can be out there on the mat at all, and I'm thrilled that you can still do the conditioning class. :)  At least soon enough the surgery will be over and done with, and you'll be on the road to recovery.  

I'm really hoping that the GoT books are enough of a challenge for me!!!  I'm thinking I just didn't give the first book enough of a chance...  So Ill try again.  And I'll start them this weekend!   I'm gonna finally catch up with Vikings and the get through the first season of Magicians as needed those first few days.  hopefully that is enough TV time for me.  

I know the sadness is OK, but it really does suck not to be able to do much of the BJJ.  I'm surprised by how much I can do, although I bet my doctors would not be happy with how much I keep pushing the limits of my knee...  But I don't want to stop doing what I can do just because of the impending surgery. 

jennifer-lawrence-disgusted-cringe-gif.g

3 hours ago, ladyelmo1 said:

In awe of both your theme and your commitment. Can't wait to see you rise up stronger than before!

Thanks!  Its keeping me sane to stick around here and keep trying to do something productive.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, IslandGirl_Becks said:

Books: check. 

TV series to binge on: check. 

Motivation to get back at it: check. 

Sounds like you're ready to go!!

I am, the worst part is the waiting...  

I found this...  I like!

oracle_files___barbara_gordon_2004_2016_

• Like 1

Awesome theme, not a big comic reader but loved 1960s TV series Batgirl. Really impressed with your positivity and goals, looks like you've set yourself up to be on for a winner.

• Like 1

Love all of this! Barbara Gordon is a stellar role model. So in awe of your positivity and dedication. You go, girl. Seriously

My brother had ACL surgery twice because of college football injuries and it was not pretty but he recovered fine both times by monitoring his own body very carefully and knowing when to push and when to rest. You got this! Following along on this epic journey of awesome! :D

tumblr_mowjer5HDD1s9frcro1_500.gif

• Like 2

Went to jui-jitsu class today.  Watched most of it.  Its hard to watch and not correct people.  So I walk a fine line between jumping in too much (bossy bitch) and being the stalker in the corner just watching everyone...  I feel like this <below> a lot in class.  LOL  

giphy.gif

Did the conditioning class today and it was a killer.  My arms feel like they want to fall off!!!  Lots of lower body modifications as needed.  And now I'm gonna eat real quick, do a bit of work and head out to get my kids.  They spent spring break week with my parents, so we are off to give my parents a much needed rest!  

• Like 3

great theme! I 2nd Nym's dips recommendation, and would throw in abs too - because I was so proud of how I could sit up when one leg was in an immobilizer after the surgery. also, yeah. I'm not sure how long you'll be on painkillers but you should probs pick up some super light reading too. I read a bunch of books during that first week after surgery and I can't remember them AT ALL.

what kind of ACL surgery are you having? I had an allograft (cadaver) replacement in each of my knees. I also ONLY had torn my ACLs each time, which apparently makes me a special snowflake. if you're interested, this is my challenge thread from my ACL surgery period.

• Like 1

Just now, karinajean said:

great theme! I 2nd Nym's dips recommendation, and would throw in abs too - because I was so proud of how I could sit up when one leg was in an immobilizer after the surgery. also, yeah. I'm not sure how long you'll be on painkillers but you should probs pick up some super light reading too. I read a bunch of books during that first week after surgery and I can't remember them AT ALL.

what kind of ACL surgery are you having? I had an allograft (cadaver) replacement in each of my knees. I also ONLY had torn my ACLs each time, which apparently makes me a special snowflake. if you're interested, this is my challenge thread from my ACL surgery period.

Thanks Karinajean!  I'm doing a ton of abs and upper body work right now because I know that the recovery is going to be really sucky!  

As for the ACL repair they are using a ligament from my thigh and for the LCL they will use a cadaver Achilles tendon. I hear ya about the special snowflake thing.  I guess my Dr. has performed well over 1000 ACL repairs but only 50-ish LCL repairs because it just isn't that common.  And the PT I'm working with, she has never seen a LCL repair.  She has don'e lots of research on it for me and the physical therapy is about the same for most knee injuries, so its all good!  Thanks for finding me this challenge and I'll take a look at your thread now.  

Weekend update: 

Friday I did the BJJ and conditioning classes with my needed modifications.  After work I drove to get my kids from my parents house (3 hour drive) 

Saturday spent time with my family.  Shot the 22, girls did the zip-line and then drove home.  Dinner at Gabriels = corn chips because they have amazing guacamole!!! 

Sunday much cleaning of the house and a private BJJ lesson (where Professor decided to give the hubby and me a new stripe!!!)  

Two thoughts: I need to take a hard look at my food and water consumption, minor change might have a huge impact! While its hard to attend the BJJ classes, because there is so little I can do, I am still learning and professor recognizes my efforts! 

Happy Day 1!  I'm gonna jump back and re-look at my goals right now...  

• Like 4

On 3/29/2016 at 8:55 AM, Terra said:
  • I will continue my classes at gym so I can be ready to become Batgirl. 
  • I will continue to eat paleo and make adjustments for my lower activity levels.  
  •  Continue making the purses  
  • I will bolster that positive attitude and make one statement that is positive in every post here!  

I needed a reminder of my goals!  I cleaned them up and made them concise for my brain to process!  

My plan for week 1:

1. Attend BJJ class MWF and Sat.  Attend conditioning class MWF.  Physical therapy movements incorporated into the classes as much as I can and then all PT work done on non-class days.  I must keep myself as strong as I possible pre-surgery!
  2. Keep eating paleo with more veggies and a focus on water (not coffee!) this week.  I also need to find some coconut yogurt that doesn't have rice starch in it, so a trip to the local co-op is planned.  I need to find a food based pro-biotic to replace my daily supplement as I need to stop taking most everything 10 days pre-surgery (Friday!!) Yogurt the non-dairy yogurt will either become part of breakfast or my dessert!   Water - I need to drink more water so instead of another coffee at work I'll try to drink one 24 ounce bottle every day while I'm in the office.  (I know I drink too much coffee at work!!) Track in MFP!!!
  3. Tonight I'll ask my hubby to bring a table upstairs for my sewing machine.  It is in the basement and stairs are hard (not impossible yet!) My daughter brought the kids sewing machine from Grandma's house so she can do more sewing.  So the plan is to set up the sewing table on the main floor so we can get lots of items sewed!  I'm making small purses for a gift exchange and I only have 70 days left to finish them all!!!  
  4. I've missed my positive/gratitude statement in the last several posts...  I'll try to catch up!  

Today I am grateful for the support of my fellow nerds, my family who is gearing up to help my recovery process and the lovely spring weather (so I can wear a dress or two this week and get out of leggins all the time!)

My positive self image statement for today: I really like my butt!  It isn't one of those flat bottoms, its a bubble butt.  And I would much rather have some "junk in the trunk" than nothing...  It helps hold my pants up!  ;)

• Like 5

Looks great! I identify with the "more water-less coffee" struggle as well. It's just so tasty!

Positive thinking and a thankful mindset goes a long way in making tough situations more bearable. Way to focus on the good in your life! :D

Good luck on all your awesome goals! Rooting for you, girl.

• Like 1

Congrats on the stripe!  I'm sure the BJJ professor is really impressed with the way you're still trying to learn the technique and participate in the conditioning classes, even with the bad knee. :)

• Like 1

Professor told me last night that he really appreciated that I came to class and was trying to learn although I couldn't do much. He praised my dedication and loyalty.  Its still hard and I feel like a BJJ stalker, just watching.  But I am learning and when I am able to get back on the mat, I should only be marginally behind.  I'm going to watch some BJJ videos while I am stuck at home, just to keep learning....

I warmed up and then watched the BJJ class.  I was able to do lots of the conditioning class, with modifications for squats.  My core and arms are sore today because it was a good class!!!  Food was a little haphazard but all paleo.  I did not drink enough water...  

Today is a rest day but that just means I need to do all the other things I didn't get to yesterday (like laundry and cleaning!)   Oh and the PT exercises those must be done too.  

I'm grateful for the BJJ family that we have found!  I am grateful for a husband who is great helping out around the house!  I am grateful for the heater in my office (something broke and the AC is going a little crazy here!)

One thing that I like about me is my hair.  It is thick and has natural wavy curls.  Its a lovely dark color, except for the white hair that has been creeping into the mix.  The purple hair dye does something really amazing to my hair.  While covering the white hair it also lends an amazing depth and shine.  I just love the color choice right now!!!  (this is such a wierd thing to do/write but it sure helps me find something positive with my body and right now with the broken bits I need all the positive reminders I can find!!!)

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Terra said:

One thing that I like about me is my hair.  It is thick and has natural wavy curls.  Its a lovely dark color, except for the white hair that has been creeping into the mix.

Well don't leave us hanging! Pics or it didn't happen ;)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Terra said:

One thing that I like about me is my hair.  It is thick and has natural wavy curls.  Its a lovely dark color, except for the white hair that has been creeping into the mix.  The purple hair dye does something really amazing to my hair.  While covering the white hair it also lends an amazing depth and shine.  I just love the color choice right now!!!  (this is such a wierd thing to do/write but it sure helps me find something positive with my body and right now with the broken bits I need all the positive reminders I can find!!!)

It's weird because it does not come naturally to appreciate and think positively about ourselves, since we live in a society that's conditioned us to be modest and humble. Doing practices like this tends to seem selfish in light of that, but you have some awesome GUTS giving it a shot! I greatly admire your courage for doing it. This is probably something all of us could use a little more of.

And OMG I forgot you went with the purple hair dye! I bet it looks as awesome as you describe (though I must agree with Tank :P).

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Terra said:

Professor told me last night that he really appreciated that I came to class and was trying to learn although I couldn't do much. He praised my dedication and loyalty.  Its still hard and I feel like a BJJ stalker, just watching.  But I am learning and when I am able to get back on the mat, I should only be marginally behind.  I'm going to watch some BJJ videos while I am stuck at home, just to keep learning....

That's the spirit! And hell yeah, he's impressed with you! It's cause you're dang impressive. A lot of people use little things like "my favorite workout socks aren't clean, guess I can't go to the gym" as a perfectly valid reason to not show up (disclaimer: that example might have been me a few weeks ago :nightmare: lol) and like 90% of people would use an ACL injury as an excuse to never do anything again! And then another 5% would do something crazy like over-train anyways and hurt themselves worst. You're doing the hard thing, showing up and NOT doing the thing that you love at full capacity but continuing to be present and teachable.

Don't sell yourself short, that's huge! :D

And purple-ish hair?! That's frickin' badass sounding.

• Like 3

Hmmm - I don't think I got a good picture of the purple hair...  It is hard to catch the color just right with a camera.  

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Well don't leave us hanging! Pics or it didn't happen ;)

I can totally get you pictures of my white hairs...  Is that what you wanted?  

1 hour ago, Terra said:

Hmmm - I don't think I got a good picture of the purple hair...  It is hard to catch the color just right with a camera.  

I can totally get you pictures of my white hairs...  Is that what you wanted?  

Can't tell if you were joking or not, but no, I wanted the "I have fabulous purple hair" pic :)

• Like 2