In Which Gryffinkat Does Hard Things

I'm really excited for this challenge! I'm not starting until next week (April 4), but I've decided what my challenge is and I want to get it posted right now so I'm all ready to go!

[Side Note: I had originally titled this post "In Which Gryffinkat Tries Hard Things." But then I thought of Master Yoda and changed the title accordingly. :) ]

Food

hA7nsFE.gif

1. Eat Fatty Fish 1x /Week.

I have really never cared for fatty fish. But I do believe it's an important component of a truly healthy diet. So this month I am going to dig deep and try fatty fish, just once each week. I'm kind of excited to try salmon and tuna (tuna steaks, not just the junk in the cans), and I'm hoping to even venture into mackerel and maybe even sardines.

2. Limit Sugar to 2x /Day.

This is an extension of one of my goals from last month. I hardly ever made it, but I did find that I was much more mindful about the sugar I ate and where I was willing to spend that "sugar capital," so to speak. Sugar is definitely my biggest nutrition downfall, so I'm going to continue working on building this habit.

Fitness

2D274906954157-today-jwolfe-pike-140928.

3. Work Out 3x /Week.

This is another extension from last month. But, as with the sugar reduction, I'm really loving the results from this goal and feel that it's an important enough habit that I want to continue with it for another month.

4. Add Mountain Climbers, Squat Thrusts, and Get-Ups.

I have been avoiding these exercises for some time because they just look so darn difficult! But the whole point here is that I'm learning that I can do hard things, things that I never thought I could do. So this month, I will be adding these in. They are all included in the Bodyweight Brigade workouts I've been doing, so I'll just throw them in then: mountain climbers during the cardio phase, squat thrusts in Star Power, and Get-Ups as the Bonus Level.

Life

5. Work 5+ Hours /Day (Mon-Fri).

I have been really slacking off at work lately, hardly ever going in and getting basically nothing done. That tends to happen when I start to focus on good eating and fitness choices. So this goal is about learning how to balance healthy eating/fitness habits with actual, real, productive work.

1. Eat Fatty Fish 1x /Week. 5 PTS x 4 weeks = 20 PTS

2. Limit Sugar to 2x /Day. 1 PTS x 27 days = 27 PTS

3. Work Out 3x /Week. 3 PTS x 4 weeks = 12 PTS

4. Add Mountain Climbers, Squat Thrusts, and Get-Ups. 1 PT per exercise per week = 12 PTS

5. Work 5+ Hours /Day (Mon-Fri). 2 PTS x 20 days = 40 PTS

===========================

111 Possible PTS

• Like 4

Current Challenge: Aug 2016 ~ My Epic Quest

Walk to Mordor: Hobbiton to Rivendell (458/458, arrived 27 April 2016)

Rivendell to Lothlorien (351.11/462)

A nice challenge you have here, Gryffinkat - you seem to have covered all bases! And I feel you on the productivity at work thing. I truly suck at this too!

Following along! 

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Reminder to Self:

Slow Down and Think during workouts!

I generally do pretty well at this and think about form a lot. But during yesterday's workout, I was so focused on getting through it that I kind of skimped out on paying attention to form, especially on reverse crunches. Today I can definitely feel the muscles that were working during those reverse crunches, and they're the wrong ones: just under my ribcage (maybe the diaphragm?), rather than the lower abs. I know it's because I wasn't focusing on exhaling and engaging my lower abs with each rep and was instead breathing heavily, whether in or out, while forcing my legs up to just get it over with.

So from now on, no more "just getting it over with." Pay attention to form! Slow, controlled, careful movements!

Slow and steady wins the race, right? ;)

tumblr_n3fbmdfcMU1sjwwzso1_500.gif

• Like 1

You're far braver than me adding in squat thrusts and get ups! I hate them! But then the normal BW squats I did yesterday have buggered my legs, so I think I'm a ways off worrying about making things harder :P

I'm also struggling with the sugar monster... Why is it so damn hard to resist?!?! Good luck!

Check out my character here!

Previous challenges: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen,

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain.

14 hours ago, Tyburn Lil said:

That's what I'm hoping! Hope you don't mind me lurching along slowly with you?

Of course! The more lurchers, the merrier! :)

11 hours ago, LadyWitch said:

You're far braver than me adding in squat thrusts and get ups! I hate them! But then the normal BW squats I did yesterday have buggered my legs, so I think I'm a ways off worrying about making things harder :P

I'm also struggling with the sugar monster... Why is it so damn hard to resist?!?! Good luck!

I know what you mean! Get-ups make me absolutely want to scream in frustration. And I've decided I need to go back to box squats, since I've been realizing that my BW squat form has been worse than I thought and has messed with my knees a bit, as well. (They're doing better now, but over the weekend, they were in a bad state!)

And, oh, that Sugar Monster!! Easily the most villainous villain I have ever faced. When I finally slay him (or is it a her?), it will definitely be my greatest victory!

img001-e1327186837813.jpg?w=300&h=300

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gryffinkat said:

I know what you mean! Get-ups make me absolutely want to scream in frustration. And I've decided I need to go back to box squats, since I've been realizing that my BW squat form has been worse than I thought and has messed with my knees a bit, as well. (They're doing better now, but over the weekend, they were in a bad state!)

And, oh, that Sugar Monster!! Easily the most villainous villain I have ever faced. When I finally slay him (or is it a her?), it will definitely be my greatest victory!

img001-e1327186837813.jpg?w=300&h=300

I got myself a TRX suspension kit and its definitely helping me get deeper on my squats... My legs aren't entirely sure this is a good thing though!

The Sugar Monster is definitely the nastiest villain I've ever faced, I thought I had defeated him (I'm definitely going with him) once before, but he came back stronger than ever :P

• Like 1

Previous challenges: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen,

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain.

Great goals, you got this!

Level: 15 Race: Human Class: Adventurer (Sailor Senshi/Aes Sedai)

STR: 14    DEX: 12    STA: 16   CON: 28   WIS: 26    CHA: 15 

(unspent points: 6? challenges worth)

Weight Loss Progress (SW 12/5/15 272)

Mini-Goal: Get back down to my low 152.2 - SW 6/1/17 170.4 - CW 6/10/17: 166.6

regained the last few months - back on track losing in June

My Battle Log|My NF Character Sheet

Challenges:

1/16-2/16-3/16-4/16-5/16-6/16-7/16-8/16-9/16-11/16-12/16-1/17-2/17-

Here's a question for the general audience/universe/whoever happens to care: If you climb 150 stairs without stopping, does that count as your strength training? I'm going with yes! ;)

I went to visit Lincoln Cathedral over the weekend and decided to climb the tower for a special tour. That's always appealing to me, but I have often missed the last tour of the day, etc. So I decided to definitely go this time! Little did I realize ... The climb was 338 steps total (525 feet ... and I did realize this), and about 150 of those steps were all in one go, nonstop. I had (rather foolishly, it turned out) snagged a spot right behind the tour guide, which meant I didn't feel that I could stop to rest, at least not more than a few seconds at a time, for fear of holding up the rest of the tourists. (I have to get over my guilt about things like this!) When we finally reached the first stopping point, I honestly felt like I might either vomit or faint. Luckily, I did neither, and we stopped there for long enough that I had recovered before moving on. But man, it was much rougher than I had expected it to be! I very suddenly felt like an old woman! (And I was not the oldest person on the tour, either, not by a long shot!)

main-lincoln.jpg

(^That big central tower behind the other two, that's the one we climbed!)

The whole experience made me really glad, though, that I've been exercising lately—not only because I have been training my body, but because I've been training my mind. Since I've been practicing doing hard things already, I knew that I could do another hard thing, even if it didn't feel like I could. And I must admit, the view and the tour-guides were spectacular! So glad I went.

And I did, indeed, count that as my strength training for the day!

Meanwhile, getting ready for the start of this challenge tomorrow. Markers and paper and stickers are out, ready to make the progress chart! (If I don't make one, I find I don't do the challenge.) Psyched!

• Like 4

On 4/1/2016 at 1:44 PM, Sylvaa said:

Am I the only one who just loves mountain climbers? 

Here's hoping I will come to love them as well! Good to know that there are people who appreciate them, which means maybe they're not as awful as I am expecting. I've also come to love pushups, even though they kick my butt every time I do them.

I LOVE Lincoln! It's a beautiful city and the cathedral is lovely! We're lucky enough to have a friend who works there, so we got the chance to go right up to the roof, passed the bells and the view was amazing... But yes, the steps definitely count! The ones up the towers are so tiny I constantly thought I was going to fall, and the walls close in so much I was fighting claustrophobia (which I don't normally get!) but it was worth it for the view :) Have you done Steep Hill? That's also a good workout! Definitely lives up to its name. 

On 4/4/2016 at 9:35 AM, LadyWitch said:

I LOVE Lincoln! It's a beautiful city and the cathedral is lovely! We're lucky enough to have a friend who works there, so we got the chance to go right up to the roof, passed the bells and the view was amazing... But yes, the steps definitely count! The ones up the towers are so tiny I constantly thought I was going to fall, and the walls close in so much I was fighting claustrophobia (which I don't normally get!) but it was worth it for the view :) Have you done Steep Hill? That's also a good workout! Definitely lives up to its name. 

Yes! I walked right up Steep Hill to get to the Cathedral (no car, so I walk everywhere). And I thought the same thing: 'It definitely lives up to its name!' I also figured that if you were in good enough shape to make it up Steep Hill, surely you could make it up the tower stairs! :) I had forgotten about the hill, actually, so I think between those two things, that definitely counts for my workout that day. After all, that's really the point, isn't it? We work out so that we can do cool things like this!

• Like 1

I've been doing pretty well this week.

yay.gif~c200

• My workouts have gone well; for a few hours after every one, I feel my body just yearning to get even stronger. It's kinda fun! Mountain climbers and squat thrusts kicked my butt on Tuesday and Thursday (respectively), but it's kind of fun just knowing that I'm challenging my body in a new way. I'm looking forward to get-ups tomorrow.
  • I'm coming in to work every day, and staying more than my required 5 hours. And getting some good work done. (Though I'm really kicking myself for all the procrastinating, since I have boatloads to get done and very little time to get it done in.)
  • I cooked salmon for dinner last night, and who'd-a-thunk? I actually like salmon! I think I must have had a bad experience with it sometime, when I didn't like how it was prepared or something, because I've been avoiding for literally years now.

I've also been cutting down on sugar, and I have stayed under the 2-a-day limit most days this week. But today I went overboard. After having my leftovers from dinner last night (teriyaki salmon with pineapple-mango salad) for breakfast, I came into work. And I was feeling yucky!! I woke up feeling like I'm developing a cold. Plus, my period started last night. Plus, my computer wonked out last night and won't even start up. And after visiting the university's free laptop repair service and learning that it would take at least 4 weeks for anyone to even look at it, let alone find a solution, I was kind of fed up.

giphy.gif

So I decided to stock up on fruit juice and muffins for the day and just didn't care about how much sugar I was eating. I realize that was partly an emotional reaction, but it was also a very reasoned decision, a choice to take one day off before getting right back on track tomorrow. I refuse to let crappy life stuff derail me from permanent life changes.

Will post tomorrow or Sunday with official results and points for the week. :)

• Like 4

Somedays you just need to relax about your food goals and enjoy it. I had a day like that yesterday, and its straight back on plan today :)

• Like 1

Yah! Nice work on life and happy to hear you like salmon better now!!

I've also been cutting down on sugar, and I have stayed under the 2-a-day limit most days this week. But today I went overboard. After having my leftovers from dinner last night (teriyaki salmon with pineapple-mango salad) for breakfast, I came into work. And I was feeling yucky!! I woke up feeling like I'm developing a cold. Plus, my period started last night. Plus, my computer wonked out last night and won't even start up. And after visiting the university's free laptop repair service and learning that it would take at least 4 weeks for anyone to even look at it, let alone find a solution, I was kind of fed up.

giphy.gif

So I decided to stock up on fruit juice and muffins for the day and just didn't care about how much sugar I was eating. I realize that was partly an emotional reaction, but it was also a very reasoned decision, a choice to take one day off before getting right back on track tomorrow. I refuse to let crappy life stuff derail me from permanent life changes.

Will post tomorrow or Sunday with official results and points for the week. :)

Doesn't having the appropriate growly face to stare it all down help make it feel a bit better though! I loved Aladdin, the songs were so catchy - I still sing bits from time to time. Hope Monday will be a better start to the week for you! (:

• Like 2

Copper Rabbit

_|

@( )*

The Next Step - June Goal Set: Overall Progress (5%)

Bit late with this, but better late than never. Since my laptop crapped out last week, I have to bring things in to work and use the computer here to post on the forums.

Battle Log: Week 1 (April 4-9)

Food

1. Eat Fatty Fish 1x /Week:1/1 = 5 PTS

Done! And the salmon was tasty, and it will be making it into the regular rotation of meat-based dishes from now on.

2. Limit Sugar to 2x /Day: 5/6 =5 PTS

Good week! Managed this every day but one. Saturday was a struggle, after going off the sugar-restriction on Friday, but I had plans to picnic with friends on Sunday and wanted to eat extra sugar for that, so I reined it in on Saturday and kept to my goal. Boom! Winning.

Fitness

3. Work Out 3x /Week: 3/3 = 3 PTS

Done, done, and done! Loving it! I feel so much more fit and strong in my everyday life, including when I walk to work or have to take the stairs for multiple floors. And I had a look at the Level 2 Bodyweight Brigade workout (on the Academy) the other day and decided it's time to move on up!

4. Add Mountain Climbers, Squat Thrusts, and Get-Ups: 3/3 = 3 PTS

Done, done, and done! Can't say I loved them quite as much as I do just working out. But they're not as bad as I had expected, and I will definitely continue with them. I'm excited to eventually get to full burpees and to be able to stand up from lying down (or just sitting down) without hands at all.

Life

5. Work 5+ Hours /Day (Mon-Fri): 5/5 = 10 PTS

I crapped out on Monday, so I had to work Saturday to make up for it. But it was a very good thing that I finally made myself come in and get stuff done, since I realized I have a whole lot to do and very little time to do it in. Had a very productive week.

Bonus: Pray daily: 6/7

I added this one at the last minute, as I was making my tracking chart. I feel a need for more spirituality in my life, and I decided to start with one prayer a day. No points for this one, just want to keep track of it.

TOTAL

======

26 PTS

• Like 2

Somedays you just need to relax about your food goals and enjoy it. I had a day like that yesterday, and its straight back on plan today :)

Exactly right! I had extra sugar on both Sunday and Monday of this week, though, and I'm worried that I'll fall right back into my old habit of eating all kinds of crap when I'm busy and stressed. So today I bought some nuts to snack on during the day and planning to get right back on track!

Yah! Nice work on life and happy to hear you like salmon better now!!

Doesn't having the appropriate growly face to stare it all down help make it feel a bit better though! I loved Aladdin, the songs were so catchy - I still sing bits from time to time. Hope Monday will be a better start to the week for you! (:

Yes, it does!! I think I searched Google for something like "grumpy gif -cat" (I hate that I had to add the -cat part, sigh!), but the moment I saw Aladdin glaring at the camera, I knew that was the one for me!!

Yikes! Even later than last time, but here goes!

Battle Log: Week 2 (April 10-16)

Food

1. Eat Fatty Fish 1x /Week:1/1 = 5 PTS

Done! Since I was so busy at work all week, I barely had time for cooking/shopping until the very end of the week, but I pulled out a quick recipe for citrus-marinated salmon, and it was lovely. And leftover salmon makes a great breakfast. :)

2. Limit Sugar to 2x /Day: 1/7 = 1 PT

Not good, not good at all. It was such a busy week at work and I was in the office for 10-12 hours every day. With all that stress, I really quickly fell back into old habits of eating extra sugar. :(

Fitness

3. Work Out 3x /Week: 2/3 = 2 PTS

Got in two. I was so wiped by the end of the week, I just couldn't make myself do that last workout.

4. Add Mountain Climbers, Squat Thrusts, and Get-Ups: 2/3 = 2 PTS

Did them with my two workouts; missed Get-ups with that last workout.

Life

5. Work 5+ Hours /Day (Mon-Fri): 5/5 = 10 PTS

Done. And then some! Long, long week. But I was really surprised how much I was actually able to get done, and I had (a very rough draft of) a 50-spmething-page report at the end of it all.

Bonus: Pray daily: 5/7

I've forgotten a couple of times this week, but still doing better than normal.

TOTAL

======

20 PTS

• Like 3

I hate it when work goes manic like that... Just gets in the way of everything! Can you plan for it and take in healthier snack options?

I still think you're doing amazingly well on the squat thrusts and get ups... I tried a get up yesterday and... well... Didn't. :P Just started at a new gym, so I may give it a few weeks and then start adding these nasty things in to my routine... Maybe!

• Like 1

I hate it when work goes manic like that... Just gets in the way of everything! Can you plan for it and take in healthier snack options?

I still think you're doing amazingly well on the squat thrusts and get ups... I tried a get up yesterday and... well... Didn't. :P Just started at a new gym, so I may give it a few weeks and then start adding these nasty things in to my routine... Maybe!

Yeah, I'm working on bringing in better snacks, but those super-stressful weeks make me want to eat all the sugar I can find, even when I have good food around. I've been listening to a podcast lately called Happier, and they mentioned recently that when we are stressed out we tend to go right to our strongest habits, whether they're good or bad, and I definitely think that's what happens for me with food.

I love the idea of get-ups, but man are they nasty hard!! There's this great video tucked away in a corner on the Academy, where Staci is showing her mom how to do all these exercises, which I love watching since her mom is very similar in body shape and strength ability to me. When Staci talks her through get-ups, she has her mom lie down on the ground, then use her hands to support her while she sits up, and then she says, "And now just stand up." And her mom looks at her, as if to say, "Excuse me? Just how do you expect me to do that?" It's this look of pure consternation, and I absolutely love it because that's exactly how I feel doing these!

• Like 1

I'm struggling a bit with one of my goals. I use the Academy workouts, and they just updated them, creating a completely different structure and completely new workouts with them. I love the new system, so I've started using it ... but the mountain climbers, squat thrusts, and get-ups don't fit quite as neatly into the new structure, so I've been skipping them. I guess for this last week, I'll just have to add them in at the very end of my workout, even though there's nothing in the "program" to remind me.

All right ... "talking" this out has helped. Thank you all for listening. :)

• Like 1

Dig reading your posts, and your funny gifs. You inspire me. :) Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Coyotito

Life-Long Adventure Maven, Mistress of the Gypsy Lifestyle

STR 1/ DEX 3/ STA 1/ CON 1/ WIS 4/ CHA 1

Current: #1(May/Rebel)

"If you're not standing on the edge, you're taking up too much space" - unknown

"I hope to arrive at my death, late, in love, and a little drunk."

Atticus