Suzy Q stumbles in

suzyQlou

Hi, I'm Sue.  I've been living in the Ranger Den for about a year, and this is my first challenge with the Assassins.

Last year, I joined a gym for the first time in 25 years.  I spent three days a week there, lifting weights.  I kind of liked it, but I'm looking for a change.  My perfect gym closed its doors, and I'm yearning to get outdoors, anyways.  Bodyweight exercises are the perfect choice for me right now.

Weightloss is still my main quest, and healthy eating is on the plan for me.  I'm half way to my lifetime healthy weight goal, and I figure one more year ought to get me there.

Goal 1:  Healthy Eating.  This is an on-going goal of mine.  When it comes to diet, I'm not strict anything, but I have a checklist that I follow when I am on track.  It includes things like eating veggies with my meals, eating human-sized portions, and limiting snacks to fruits/veggies.  I will shoot for 5 perfect days a week on the checklist this challenge.  When I'm on track, I lose about a pound a week.  Pretty soon, I'm hoping to bust out of the eighties on the scale.

80s-woman-with-headband.jpg

Goal 2:  Stay Active.  I've taken a break from my fitbit, but it's time for another month of focusing on my steps.  I am recovering from a knee injury, so my cardio goals are ridiculously (but necessarily) small.  No need for the pity party, though.  I can walk, so I will!  I'm increasing my previous step goal from 8000 to 8500 for this challenge.

Defiant-woman-with-cane.jpg

Goal 3:  Get Stronger.  I've built a habit of strength workouts in the morning on MWF.  Those were my gym days before the gym closed.  This challenge I will do NF yoga to help the legs, and alternate days of pushups/planks with days of pullup progression/hanging knee tucks for the arms and core.

p114.gif

Goal 4:  Ridiculous Cardio.  TTh are my cardio days.  I will continue eking out 30 minutes on the elliptical until my knees recover.  Then I will (SLOWLY this time) get back to running outside.

turtlerunner.png

Life Goal:  Improve Productivity at Work.  I have a business trip for the first time in many years during the first week of the challenge.  My team is going to meet face-to-face for the first time ever.  Seeing as I like to work at home with my head down, I need to make a special effort on this trip and in the following weeks.  I will strive to be confident, comfortable, and positive at work.

nerd.jpg

I'm also looking forward to participating in the world-famous Assassin mini-challenge, whatever that may be.  Please feel free to poke me and prod me as I'm learning the ropes over here with the Assassins.  I've got a whole lot of figuring out to do!

• Like 8

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Old Challenges: #1(2015) * #2 * #3(push ups) * #4 * #5(food) * #6 * #7(2016)* #8(nerdiversary) * #9 * 10(animal) * Battle Log * 11(2017) * 12(garden) * 13 * 14(biking) * 15 * 16  * 17  * 18 * 19(2018) * 20(2019) * 21

19 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Following!  Love the gif-tastic challenge!

Good to see you!

16 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along on your field trip.

Field trip, eh.  I do feel a little bit like a spy over here....

1845105-spyblack.jpg

• Like 3

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Old Challenges: #1(2015) * #2 * #3(push ups) * #4 * #5(food) * #6 * #7(2016)* #8(nerdiversary) * #9 * 10(animal) * Battle Log * 11(2017) * 12(garden) * 13 * 14(biking) * 15 * 16  * 17  * 18 * 19(2018) * 20(2019) * 21

19 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

Whoooo! The mini's are definitely epic and have forced me to do things that I never thought possible. I hope your zero week is going well!

Yep, I keep peeking out there in case a new mini has popped up.  Week zero is off to a slow start.  At least I charged and re-connected the fitbit to my phone. :)  Still need to finish up today's workout though.  Good thing the challenge is up...it will keep me motivated to get it done!

14 hours ago, Yraen said:

Great goals this time. Hope the knee heals up.

Thanks, Yraen.  Good to see you coming back strong for this next challenge.

• Like 2

suzyQlou * Ranger    

23 hours ago, lilbichy said:

Following again this challenge!  Are we FitBit friends?  If not, add me.  I plan to try and do more daily goals with people!  (my memory sucks!) https://www.fitbit.com/user/3M738F

Very cool.  No I don't think I have any fitbit friends at all.  I hit the send request button, but you may have to talk me through anything social in the fitbit world.  Looks nice and motivational.  Thanks for sharing your link!

20 hours ago, Peace said:

You're an Assassin now!? I hope I didn't do anything to offend you.  :nevreness:

Ha!  That would be pretty much impossible.  Peaceful encouragement always brightens my day :) . I'm just doing a little learning over here with the assassins this month.  Gotta figure out new strength goals and routines since my gym closed on me.  Thought maybe a nice mini challenge over here might get me back on track.  Tank calls it a "field trip", lol.

My fitbit was back in action yesterday, motivating me to move more.  I joined the walking PVP here: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/79614-the-walk-of-life-open-until-end-of-april-challenge/ and stopped at a park after running errands.   Feels good to be outside.  Something tells me it will be easier to get the steps in during beautiful sunny days than it was in the midst of winter when I last tried it.  Pleasant surprise to get me started :)

canstock18972750.jpg

• Like 4

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Hooray for new assassins! We can struggle along the mini together haha

• Like 1

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

On 3/31/2016 at 1:29 PM, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Hooray for new assassins! We can struggle along the mini together haha

Cheers for the struggle!  Onward we go!

15 hours ago, Elennare said:

Hi!

Welcome to the Assassins.  Sounds like you've got a good plan in place. :)

I'm also working on the increasing how much you walk/move around thing this challenge.  It can be tough!

Thanks for the welcome.  Love the accountability of these boards for walking/moving goals.  We can check in on each other!

Here's a sorta-weekly roundup since I'm not sure what electronics/time I will have on travel.  Overall, glad to have a zero week back, but glad I didn't totally ignore healthy habits this week either.

Goal 1:  Healthy Eating.  3/4 days.  On target.  Actually really, good.  The scale is up and down, but it popped back down to my record low this week.  That's a nice plus going into week one of the official challenge.

Goal 2:  Stay Active.  Average of 11,928 steps over the past three days.  This is a great start for me.
Goal 3:  Get Stronger.   .5/2  Yep, half a workout since Tuesday.  Suffering here.  Too many excuses.

Goal 4:  Ridiculous Cardio.  2/2.  Still slow, on the elliptical.

Life Goal:  Work Trip.  Looking good.  I had to buy pants for this trip!  Since I work at home, I don't dress for work often.  Last time I did, I was two sizes bigger.

• Like 6

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Work  trip good on all fronts.  Mostly healthy eating and lots of steps at the airport and in the early morning.   Still smiling after being with coworkers all day long:) 

• Like 4

suzyQlou * Ranger    

33 minutes ago, suzyQlou said:

Work  trip good on all fronts.  Mostly healthy eating and lots of steps at the airport and in the early morning.   Still smiling after being with coworkers all day long:) 

You know you've got a good trip when you can say that and mean it.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Happy to be home again.  I have been monitoring threads on my phone, and my nice big monitor is so much better!

I stepped on the scale this morning to lovely news.  I was very careful to eat well this week because expensing meals makes it easy to go overboard.  I enjoyed chips and salsa a few times, and ice cream pie.  I was able to really ENJOY them because I was making such good daily choices.  And the scale was rewarding!  Broke through to the seventies today.  Yay!

farrah-fawcett.jpg

I also really enjoyed being back in the fitness room at the hotel.  I think I miss my gym more than I realized.  Having a special place to go helped me to get my mind around getting workouts done.  So I'm 3 for 3 on those this week.

Now that I'm back, I need to get the mini figured out.  It was too hard to follow on the phone.  What I gather so far, though, is that I'm going to have to do different stuff than I'm doing in my current strength workouts.  Sets of 10 push ups are in no-man's land.  Not enough reps to be a Berserker, and too many reps to be a Black Mage.  I'm gonna need to scale them up or down, and then add similar squats, pullups, and leg raises.  But that's all good.  I'm in the assassin den to learn how to adapt these bodyweight exercises, so I just need to get that done this weekend.

• Like 7

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Yay! Welcome back!  Sounds like you had a good week, way to go on the food choices! When you are working and traveling, it's way too easy to get into the "treat yourself" mentality, awesome job!

You're right, the mini is way too hard to follow on a phone, I tried for a bit and then just gave up. What I did for the mini is choose an easier form of pushups (incline for me) to supplement my harder variation in my challenge. But going harder is tons of fun because you get to try new things, I think I may do that for the next battle.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1