Marauder Trains for Triwizard Tournament

This is my first 4 week Challenge and I'm excited to see how it goes. I have recently started referring to nearly everything I do in terms of Harry Potter. One because I'm listening to the books on my drive to work (1+ hour each way) and two I find that saying Scourgify! to clean the sink doesn't work, but it makes it more fun to get it empty and clean (I have no dishwasher)!

That being said I have been tracking a lot of little tasks in my life that I would like to improve. I would like to focus on 4 for the purpose of this challenge.

1. Triwizard Training - running 10 miles a week. Any distance at one time counts toward weekly mileage. Running within another gym class that is not measured, unfortunately doesn't count!

4/4-4/10 -- 7 miles

4/11-4/17 -- 8 miles

4/18-4/24 -- 9 miles

4/25-5/1 -- 10 miles

2. Household Charms - perform the Scourgify charm at least five times a week, promote S.P.E.W. by doing a load of laundry six days a week and perform house hold charms list once a week.

Goal: 12+ points a week. (extra points can only be earned if all 3 minimums are met)

3. Walk to Mordor - continue walking to Rivendell. Average 2.5 miles/day in April. 

4/4-4/10 -- 2.4 miles, min. 5 days a week

4/11-4/17 -- 2.5 miles, min. 5 days a week

4/18-4/24 -- 2.6 miles, min. 5 days a week

4/25-5/1 -- 2.7 miles, min. 5 days a week

Image result for mordor walking

4. Caffeine Intake (Butter Beer) - reduce caffeine intake from ~558mg/day to ~511mg/day or less

4/4-4/10 -- 546mg or less average per day

4/11-4/17 -- 534mg or less average per day

4/18-4/24 -- 522mg or less average per day

4/25-5/1 -- 510mg or less average per day

I have a LOOT reward system worked into the spreadsheet I track everything on, but I will earn the following loot related to these goals:

- real running sunglasses once I increase to 10 miles a day

- barefoot walking shoes that I can wear at work once I reach Rivendell (3/29 I'm at 83.2 miles)

- ~300mg/day of caffeine I get more sustainable (read better for the world but way more expensive) coffee

- I have no good reward yet for my Charms goals, I'm thinking cute kitchen gear, but my kitchen is tiny and I don't really need more stuff in there - ideas?

Since this is my first challenge we will see how often I can give updates - goal: once a week minimum (hopefully more often!)

Thanks for reading!!

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"Building a New Normal" - My Character

Walk to Mordor (Hobbiton to Rivendell - Loot = new minimalist shoes)

23%

Adulting in April

18%

102.gif

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 
Current Challenge : # 38 Strickland5 respawns

On 3/29/2016 at 10:45 AM, acgilbert11@gmail.com said:

- I have no good reward yet for my Charms goals, I'm thinking cute kitchen gear, but my kitchen is tiny and I don't really need more stuff in there - ideas?

Since this is my first challenge we will see how often I can give updates - goal: once a week minimum (hopefully more often!)

Thanks for reading!!

Do you have an apron? And...as I type the question I suddenly realize that I have no clue what your gender is! My brain simply defaults everyone to female (probably because I'm female) until given contrary information! Anyways...if you're into that kind of thing...there are a lot of really awesome aprons, and they have the added bonus of being useful and being something you could hang from a hook on the back of a door or something!

QengpuBenal, level 4 High Elf Ranger STR5| DEX 2| STA13| CON 6| WIS 19| CHA 6

Battle Log

"I want to live in a world where normal is an insult." - Misha Collins

Sooo, I see a couple of you with progress bars in your signatures (saw one for the Rivendell walk! Woot!) How can I get one of those?

WeyrCat Level 7, 2.
Neutral Gallifreyan Ranger - Sub-Class Druid.
STR: 2 DEX: 2 STA: 4 CON: 4 WIS: 4 CHA: 4
Challenge: 7. Rerolling! Run. Rehydrate, Read, repeat. - 
Teams: Prismatic Fanatics
"Do all the things!"
| Quests | Fitocracy | SparkPeople | Rising Heroes |

12 hours ago, weyrcat said:

Sooo, I see a couple of you with progress bars in your signatures (saw one for the Rivendell walk! Woot!) How can I get one of those?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but they got messed up during the revamp about a week ago? 

Anyone know when its getting fixed? 

I think I had mine for 3 days before they stopped working,... hopefully it'll be back soon!

Current Challenge

23%

Adulting in April

18%

Week 0: I wasn't focused on these goals last week, but here's how I did anyway!

1. Triwizard Training: Ran 6.2 miles goal week 1 is 7 miles.

2. Household Charms: 8 points (I did dishes, but didn't even get the sink clean)  goal 12pts/week

3. Walk to Mordor: 2.06miles/day average goal 2.5 week 1: 2.4 miles 5 days

4.Caffeine Intake: 368mg average (only because I had 1 cup saturday and none sunday)

I am taking on the "Caffeine Challege" Quest, the goal is slow reduction over a few months to reduce withdraw effects. So that I can use caffeine as a power up instead of a crutch. On Saturday I didn't really want coffee, but had a little to prevent a headache - then just didnt drink more. Sunday came and I had a headache, but I took 2 ibprofen and got to midday, then afternoon, then I'd gone the whole day without it! Today I tried it - just didn't make coffee before I left home, drank water instead on the drive... 12:35 and still havent made coffee at work! I have to be up at 3:30am tomorrow, so I'm going to attempt to use caffeine as needed tomorrow, instead of as a requirement to move!

Any who! Over all these things are going okay over all. I feel as though I'm figuring out that I am an abstainer rather than a moderator. I'm not sure how I feel about this because it will make reducing my drinking more difficult, but one vice at a time! On the flip-side, slowly increasing the goals to make better habits seems to be working and sticking more than diving in full force.

One day at a time!

Current Challenge

23%

Adulting in April

18%

15 hours ago, tinkerer said:

Nice challenge! I'm also trying to get things done around the house while accumulating some running miles. Good luck with the 3:30am day tomorrow!

Sweet! I'm really hoping this is going to help me. I'm also going to attempt the one minute rule, but I've failed at it before - I end up giving myself x number of minutes to do as much as possible and stop... we'll see. I starting asking "What happens if I ignore this?" too and it's really be helpful to pick priorities.

3:30 wake up went surprisingly well. The whole work day was really good too, sleep was bad, but I have a hard time sleeping before a big/new event (super inconvenient!)... lunch was a lot of bad choices, but it was provided and I made the best choices I could = really good dinner with ALL the veggies!!

Need to run tomorrow too since today was much more physically demanding than a normal work day, but I refuse to slack on upping the mileage so soon!!!

Current Challenge

23%

Adulting in April

18%

20 hours ago, tinkerer said:

Did you make it on that run?

Also, What is the 1 minute rule? I don't think I've heard of that one...

I did run on Wednesday! 3.1 miles in 29:10!! AFTER my normal 30 min core class. I was really proud of myself and felt surprisingly less sore than expected afterward!

The one minute rule is to do anything you can do in a minute or less without delay. It is supposed to help eliminate all the little things you have to do and can focus on larger taskes when you have time. It's from the podcast Happier with Gretchen Rubin. I just started listening to it and there are a lot of little thing you can do to make you happier.

It's going so-so, I have so many little tasks to do that when I start the rule it takes a loooong time, but I think if I keep working at it it will pay off in the long run!

Current Challenge

23%

Adulting in April

18%

I haven't read this whole thing, but I'm already in love with your theme here. I'm currently re-reading the HP series (even though my husband makes fun of me for it), and I'm currently finishing the fourth book. It looks like you're doing a good job staying on track. I'm excited to follow along.

I haven't read this whole thing, but I'm already in love with your theme here. I'm currently re-reading the HP series (even though my husband makes fun of me for it), and I'm currently finishing the fourth book. It looks like you're doing a good job staying on track. I'm excited to follow along.

Thanks Girl! I'm in the middle of book 6 in my audio book! Next Saturday is a surprise HP bridal shower from a friend of mine so the HP theme seems even more appropriate this month!  OMG I'm listening to a podcast (Happier) right now and they just mentioned that reading HP from the beinging again was exactly what she needed to feel happier! HAHA! For the WIN! (All the explanation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) 

Current Challenge

23%

Adulting in April

18%

Update:

I have been doing well with most of the tasks, but getting even to 2 miles a day on Friday (work from home) and the weekend is EXTREMELY difficult. My neighborhood isn't the best to going walking in at night, during the day is so-so, but I still get uneasy. It's also difficult for me to justify driving somewhere just to walk, but I that is my mission for the weekend - figure out a GOOD and DOABLE solution to walk more on the weekends!

Happy Friday Everyone!

Current Challenge

23%

Adulting in April

18%

I am currently waiting to the rain/slush/snow to stop so I can get in my 4 mile run this morning. I like to do it first thing on Saturday's, but it is truly disgusting outside and getting worse. Radar says I'm good to go at 11 so I set my alarm and will make it happen! On the bright side I have plenty of time for breakfast before the run!

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Current Challenge

23%

Adulting in April

18%

I am currently waiting to the rain/slush/snow to stop so I can get in my 4 mile run this morning. I like to do it first thing on Saturday's, but it is truly disgusting outside and getting worse. Radar says I'm good to go at 11 so I set my alarm and will make it happen! On the bright side I have plenty of time for breakfast before the run!

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Did you make this happen!!!?? I agree with enjoying the first-thing-in-the-morning running. If I eat breakfast then I get into "weekend project mode" and running never happens. Hope things went well for you this weekend!

I also understand not wanting to run in a so-so place. Risking your safety isn't really a good gamble, even if your risking it for a good reason. When I lived in a bigger city (and even now to be honest) there are places I will run and places I won't, especially at night.

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Week 1 totals:

1. Triwizard Training - running 10 miles a week. Any distance at one time counts toward weekly mileage. Running within another gym class that is not measured, unfortunately doesn't count!

102%: Goal: 7 miles Actual: 3.1 and 4 mile runs = 7.1 mile week

2. Household Charms - perform the Scourgify charm at least five times a week, promote S.P.E.W. by doing a load of laundry six days a week and perform house hold charms list once a week.

Goal: 12+ points a week. (extra points can only be earned if all 3 minimums are met)

Actual: Scourgify 1.5, S.P.E.W. 4, Charms 1 (i did 3 days but only 1pt since i didn't make the others)

54%: 6.5/12

3. Walk to Mordor - continue walking to Rivendell. Average 2.5 miles/day in April. 

Goal: 4/4-4/10 -- 2.4 miles, min. 5 days a week

Actual:

60%: I'm upping the counter on my phone to 2.5 even though I didn't make it to 2.4 most days - we'll see what happens! 

4. Caffeine Intake (Butter Beer) - reduce caffeine intake from ~558mg/day to ~511mg/day or less

Goal: 4/4-4/10 -- 546mg or less average per day

Actual:

mg                         "cups"

0 0
279 3
465 5
465 5
372 4
465 5
465 5

I would have had less Saturday and Sunday, but we went out with friends. Luckily I didn't have a lot Saturday morning, so my extra jolt to stay up past 9pm didn't put me over the edge for the whole day!

My goal was to have less than 6 cups/day average.

Kicking Ass! - not sure how to put this into a percentage, but it's probably something like 50000% awesome.

So it seems I'm doing far better than expected at 2 goals, and welllll below on the other two. I guess it's obvious what I need to focus on this week - to there is that!!

Happy Monday everyone!  

Current Challenge

23%

Adulting in April

18%

The last few days have been an utter disaster! Work is a mess, my boyfriend is working late through the end of eternity and my landlord came to fix the tub and informed me that my house was too messy.... what happened was, the cat had tipped the trash can in the living room with the boyfriend's taco bell dinner from 1am the night before and played with it through out the house.  So I know that I do not live in a pig sty, but since there were also 10 dirty dishes soaking in the sick it was unacceptable and they will be back to inspect. I have been struggling with emotions taking over lately and have been doing better, but on Tuesday I lost my lid and spent my work out time plus 4 hours before i crashed into bed cleaning my house. In which time I found 10 pairs of ruined heels and boots in the back of my closet (shared with the shower and leaking/molding for who knows how long. Yes, I cried, no I don't apologize for that. Thankfully none were very expensive, and I can go buy new ones with out feeling guilty.

Thanks for the rant... if you read it you are more tolerant than me, if not thanks for tolerating the long rambling paragraph!

On the bright side, kind of. I was planning on going to a local running store for a weekly event they do after work yesterday. You go to a local pub, run 3-5 miles and when you get back you get a free beer! What could be better than running and drinking with friends... for free you ask?? Running and drinking with strangers for free since all 3 friends bailed as you pulled into the parking lot. LUCKILY there were a few familiar faces from my gym and others that took me in gladly! I thought I ran 3 miles rather slowly, but when I mapped out my route this morning it was 4.16!! I felt MUCH better about my time after that too!! 

I am well on my way to 8 miles this week, have only done a few dishes, but have done some laundry every day and the breakdown did result in chores done yesterday! My walking was off one day, but I am going to make up for it today and tomorrow. Lastely - caffeine consuption is still lower than expected and am using it more like a power up than a wake up potion! 

All in all a decent week and getting BETTER to end with a... surprise Harry Potter wedding shower for one of my best friends is this Saturday, yes I will share photos!

Current Challenge

23%

Adulting in April

18%

That landlord story sounds very frustrating. I think the times when I am the most upset are when I am unjustly accused of something. Hopefully things will get cleared up soon!

That running club sounds amazing! Perhaps it was even a good thing that your friends didn't show up forcing you to mingle with some other people? A club like that is what really kick-started my running interest a few years ago and led to meeting one of my really good friends now.

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Sounds like you're making it work even with the challenges that come up!

And yes, we absolutely need pictures of that wedding shower!

You got it! Packing up my car this afternoon with my share of the decor including goal hoops, textbooks and potion bottles!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

23%

Adulting in April

18%

That landlord story sounds very frustrating. I think the times when I am the most upset are when I am unjustly accused of something. Hopefully things will get cleared up soon!

That running club sounds amazing! Perhaps it was even a good thing that your friends didn't show up forcing you to mingle with some other people? A club like that is what really kick-started my running interest a few years ago and led to meeting one of my really good friends now.

Exactly, just having a stranger judge me for one day was extremely difficult for me to wrap my head around. I understand why they would have a policy like that, but I really don't like the way they went about telling me.  If we had a dog and there was food everywhere, no one would be surprised... either way I am making steps forward to keep my house cleaner for me and my health and not strangers!!

I was kind of glad they ended up not going - everyone was even nicer hearing I came to the run even when they didn't! Although I think a few will be joining me next week now that I have "scoped it out"!

Current Challenge

23%

Adulting in April

18%