[Naxius] Decluttering house, decluttering life.

Main goal: continue de-cluttering the house.

Other goals:

- Not have alcohol

- Drink coffee less, drink water more

- Work on cosplay (deadlines are approaching)

- Go to bed at a reasonable hour. Brush teeth at 10:30 to get this started.

- [locked] NF Yoga ...if the decluttering gets done.

I've tried meeting these goals before, and started failing consistently at these goals within a day. What will be different this time? Who the fuck knows. Maybe motivation to establish new habits will strike from out of nowhere and I'll succeed this time. I am starting this challenge early so that if I fail at a thing a lot, I can change the challenge around before the start date.

I've made a Google calendar of shit I need to do (mainly the usual tasks + cosplay + decluttering), which is also something I've tried before without any success whatsoever. The only difference this time around is that I've 1) turned off the annoying notifications that Google kept sending to my phone, and 2) am making it a point to see this calendar not as a to-do list, but as an excuse to say no to other things.

I have no idea how I'm going to grade/measure any of these goals yet. I'm not even going to count water glasses, because that makes it feel too much like a chore. Now that I think of it, keeping track of things in general feels like a chore, so I'm not going to track anything. Oddly enough, this motivates me to actually do things a lot more.

Physical clutter:

- Clear the second crawlspace in my room (STORE NES AND SNES GAMES IN HERE AFTER, which will clear the last desk drawer)

- Store the Thor and Loki and Darth Maul figures into the boxes they came in (for the time being, until shelving is figured out)

- Organize class notes in the entryway (BOSS FIGHT!)

- Put the following items on Kijiji (includes resizing pictures and writing item descriptions in a hilarious manner, because funny ads sell):

Old BMX

Old Skateboard

Old mini-scooter

Various pairs of shoes (plus bonus earrings!)

Handbag

Bows

Xbox 360

- Re. Kijiji, take photos of the following items:

Clothes I no longer wear

Jewelry I no longer wear

Mental clutter:

- E-mail clinic with the pictures

- E-mail clinic to ask about healing-related thing

- Take care of fishing reels (sort the bag of fishing stuff while I'm at it)

- Change name/contact info with coffee business (1)

- Change web site name/write letter for coffee business (2)

- Get salesman license for coffee business (3)

• Like 5

It'll come to you, just keep at it :) Good luck!

Thanks!

(Also, I have yet to figure out how2quote with the new forum system.)

I've just realized that the goals "work on cosplay because of looming deadlines" and "go to bed at a reasonable hour" aren't quite compatible, haha! There is a month and a half left for the first costume, and after that I'll have a month and a week to get shit sorted for the second (and third?) one. Panicking already :D

For Wednesday's cosplay to-do list:

- Make craft foam backing for AoA Loki shin guards

- Order shirt for AoA Loki

- Finish the building of the AoA Loki crown core (it's almost done)

- Sand + apply gesso to said crown if there's time

I'll post screenshots of my Google calendar later or something.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Sunmage said:

Welcome back!

Thanks a bunch!

14 minutes ago, petefeet said:

Looking forward to more crazy/frantic cosplay texts at 3am <g> 

You have this kiddo!

If I go to bed at 11 PM (aka, a reasonable hour) and then wake up at 2 AM to work on cosplay, it still counts as going to bed at a reasonable hour for challenge purposes, right? Lol

• Like 1

Hey there Nax!

I have been working on the bedtime routine for several challenges now :)  Am slowly improving it... I think your toothbrush idea is a really good start :)

If you're interested, here's how I have been approaching it:

1) identify brain talk that keeps me from getting on with necessary nightly routine, e.g. "I deserve a break, I'll just spend some time on the internet before doing xyz"

2) look to shift nightly must-do's (i.e. things you can't go to bed without doing, in my case the washing up, tidying the whole of downstairs, cleaning teeth, washing face) earlier in the evening - and make this as early as you can manage

3) look to shift nightly pre-requisites for the next day (i.e. things you need to have ready for tomorrow) earlier in the evening, after completing the pre-bedtime mandatory stuff

4) re-examine mental shit again, e.g. "I can't go to bed yet, I've not achieved anything tonight and I really wanted to get sooooo much done"

5) challenge mental shit

That's about where I'm up to but it seems to be helping :)

I'm sure you've got it covered but may be worth setting a timer on your mobile phone (or whatever) just before 10.30 to remind you to do your teeth :)

• Like 1

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

14 hours ago, Eirlys said:

Hey there Nax!

I have been working on the bedtime routine for several challenges now :)  Am slowly improving it... I think your toothbrush idea is a really good start :)

If you're interested, here's how I have been approaching it:

1) identify brain talk that keeps me from getting on with necessary nightly routine, e.g. "I deserve a break, I'll just spend some time on the internet before doing xyz"

2) look to shift nightly must-do's (i.e. things you can't go to bed without doing, in my case the washing up, tidying the whole of downstairs, cleaning teeth, washing face) earlier in the evening - and make this as early as you can manage

3) look to shift nightly pre-requisites for the next day (i.e. things you need to have ready for tomorrow) earlier in the evening, after completing the pre-bedtime mandatory stuff

4) re-examine mental shit again, e.g. "I can't go to bed yet, I've not achieved anything tonight and I really wanted to get sooooo much done"

5) challenge mental shit

That's about where I'm up to but it seems to be helping :)

I'm sure you've got it covered but may be worth setting a timer on your mobile phone (or whatever) just before 10.30 to remind you to do your teeth :)

Totally failed at the toothbrush thing last night...because I wasn't home. Oops. This is only the practice week, though!

1. I don't even think there is brain talk. It's more like brain auto-pilot that just goes on the computer and clicks on shit until after midnight. I'm not sure what the actual brain talk or brain feeling would be. Probably the same type of "I deserve this break/internet time" or "I need to relax".

2. The only "must do" is probably brushing my teeth and showing, although I tend to shower right after coming home from the gym usually. Oh right, feeding the cats is also a must-do, otherwise they will remind me to do this at 4 AM.

3. I don't know if I should add "prepare food for tomorrow" or "plan an outfit for tomorrow" to the list, mainly because it feels like such a chore and I don't really feel like doing anything after I've worked out and showered :\

4. This was usually "but I haven't worked on my cosplay" or haven't decluttered...which I am hoping to force myself to do for this challenge. This way I'll be able to go to bed feeling accomplished.

5. Assuming there's a day where nothing gets done and it's way too late (hello, weekends) I can...I don't know. Panic? Lol. What happens when there's a looming deadline and things just have to be done, though? I'm trying to avoid this by making myself work on cosplay on most days, but...running up against the deadline seems to be a thing that always happens.

I set an alarm on the phone for 10:25 to remind me of teeth-brushing, so hopefully that works. Maybe just having that one notification per day will work. I haven't done well with alarms and timers every time I've used them in the past, though.

Speaking of teeth, I've always prided myself on not having any cavities ever. I had a dentist appointment this morning and OH HEY, GUESS WHAT THEY FOUND. Goddamn fucking shit. Now I need to get a filling next week and fsdgfghsfhfsadgf fuck.

It's like all the tiny things are happening all at once, health-wise, and I don't want anything else bad to happen because physical health is the thing I am THE most grateful for. Having that taken away would be >9000% disastrous.

17 hours ago, Teirin said:

Good, good yes. 

Hmm, good note about starting the routine early.  Cosplay and bedtime are a big conflict though.  Also, Nax time.  :-)

Cosplay time can also be Nax time, though :) As can decluttering time. Once I get going with the decluttering, it feels freaking great to sort and organize things, or to throw useless things out. The only hard part right now is getting the hell off the Interwebs and actually starting.

• Like 3
On 3/30/2016 at 6:17 PM, Naxius said:

It's more like brain auto-pilot that just goes on the computer and clicks on shit until after midnight.

I can relate to that. 

Somewhere during this challenge I am going to do an Input deprivation week to try and break the habit. I've done it before, I need it again.

• Like 1

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

On 2016-03-30 at 2:37 PM, Blonde-E said:

Hey Nax, following along again. Looking forward to seeing your copay progress.

Will try to post more cosplay things than I did during the last few challenges!

Here's one from a few days ago: Loki crown so far. It still needs to be sanded a lot, and coated with molding paste and gesso (and sanded more) several times before I can paint it, but the core of it is done.

Sanding things is, by far, the least fun part of cosplay ;\ Next to the highly repetitive painting of armor scales, which is what I need to do next for this costume. The armor still needs to be figured out also and ffffuuuuck lol.

On 2016-04-01 at 4:53 PM, Jakkals said:

I can relate to that. 

Somewhere during this challenge I am going to do an Input deprivation week to try and break the habit. I've done it before, I need it again.

Input deprivation...as in turning off all social media? I don't know if I could pull that off at this time, although I find that blocking off some time slots to work on things or declutter keeps me away from Facebook somewhat successfully.

...Until the messenger app on my phone starts buzzing X(

On 2016-04-02 at 4:41 PM, Miw_Sher said:

Haha, I think we all have a goal or two that keeps haunting us. :) One day I will tackle mine. :P

Following along your efforts. :)

Totally lol. And if that goal gets taken care of, then another one always takes its place ;P For me it's been the declutering, even if I am making progress on it. I've focused mostly on cosplay stuff in the last week, though. Deadlines are scary.

• Like 1

Well, it's finally April 4th! New challenge! Very optimism, such motivate, wow! And then yesterday I woke up with a headache and sinuses stuffed up like WTF. Today I see an e-mail at work like "oh we do not have this thing" where this thing is a page I completely forgot to translate as a part of the previous task that had a deadline a while ago. Ooooops...

Aaaand we're off to a chaotic start! Today is a fairly packed day, but I'll try to do one of these two things from the main decluttering list:

- Put backings into comic book bags

- Put the jewelry I'll never wear again in a bag, and add it to the pile/bag of clothes I'm going to donate

The Jewelry one has no excuse to no get done. It's already in a pile and just...sitting there on the floor. All I need to do is pick it up and put it in a bag. I don't know why I haven't done it yet. Maybe if I give myself one thing from the list to do at a time, I'll get the list cleared faster. Otherwise my motivation/willpower points just get drained trying to figure out what task to do first.

• Like 3

The jewelry one will be easy, so I need to make it a point to shove that stuff in a bag as soon as I get home, because if I procrastinate then it's all over. Today is one of those  days where I only have like 10 minutes to sit down between things.

I can probably get the comic book backings done later in the night, or at least part of them. It's an easy task, but it may also be time consuming. At least it requires very little brainpower, and I can do it as I wind down and get ready to go to bed.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Naxius said:

I can probably get the comic book backings done later in the night, or at least part of them. It's an easy task, but it may also be time consuming. At least it requires very little brainpower, and I can do it as I wind down and get ready to go to bed.

I find doing a simple job such as this before bed helps me to unwind and calm my mind. The act of simple manual labour (for me) helps centre myself.

• Like 2

Race: Halfling     Class: Rebel

Recruit 1st 2nd 3rd 4th  5th 6th  7th  8th 9th 10th  11th 12th 13th  14th  15th

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

Fictionfirst Used Books (Feel free to like my page!)

15 hours ago, petefeet said:

I find doing a simple job such as this before bed helps me to unwind and calm my mind. The act of simple manual labour (for me) helps centre myself.

I didn't get around to doing the comics, but did shove all the no-longer-worn jewelry in a bag that is now ready to go to the thrift store. I'm glad I had this easy item on the list because I was too tired at the end of the day to do anything else, and now I do not feel like I was an utter failure last night because I was able to do a thing :D

Adding the boards to comics will be done tonight. And more work on my cosplay (Loki crown). Maybe I can sand + apply more paste to it, and then do the comic boarding while the paste dries? Eh, as long as I don't end up fucking around on Facebook all evening.

• Like 1

Progress so far has been "meh". I haven't had alcohol, and I'm not missing it so far (at least not on weekdays), but this might become more difficult on weekends. Especially since I have two parties to go to this month. Maybe I'll just volunteer myself as DD just to make sure I don't end up having one drink that will turn into ten.

I am doing well with working on cosplay with whatever little free time I have, and also doing well at realizing that progress is happening much slower than anticipated. This will come back to bite me in the ass in about a month, I'm 200% certain. As for sleep, it has been nearly impossible to get more than 7h (of not 6h) because of the bullshit cold that decided to start the day before the challenge.

The Google calendar thing is very useless so far, especially when I schedule both cosplay work and decluttering work in the same night. When I am working on a thing and I've got my groove on, I usually don't want to stop working on it. I'll probably change the calendar to say "cosplay OR decluttering" instead of having a block of time for each task.

My family went to bed very early last night due to having to wake up at 5 AM to go on a trip today, so I wasn't able to do the comic book bagging last night after all since my room is right across from theirs and none of our doors close properly. This would have resulted in light and crinkling comic book bag noises (and probably noises from me yelling at one of my cats the moment she started to "help") reaching their room and keeping them awake.

Why don't our doors close? Because there's too much clutter/clothes hanging over both doors. Sad, I know :| Oh, how I can't wait to have my wall drawers back...

Reducing coffee use was going all right, until the whole "oops I can't breathe through my nose and can't fall asleep" shit started happening. I really hope this stops soon. It's affecting the entire challenge.

Aaaand I'm late for a thing. Sitting down for 10 mins does that, it seems X(

• Like 2

Naxius, my friend!  I am glad to find you here.  

I think having the Or on your calendar would be a great idea.  You got this.  Don't give up.  You are still inspiring me.  Kick so much ass up there.

• Like 1

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

Jitters! Welcome back!

I will do my best not to disappoint B) Both in terms of actually posting interesting things, and not faceplanting at my challenge. And if I must faceplant, I will do so in style!

Re. the challenges in general: I'm not sure if it's funny or sad that it took me like two years of fucking around the game of life on horribly over-level difficulties before actually finding the tutorial dungeon. Derp?

• Like 1

The most frustrating part of working on the Balem Abrasax collar (cosplay) is the brutally. Sloooooooowwww. Progreeessss... I worked on it last night for over an hour, but it felt like I hadn't actually accomplished anything.

To generate that wonderful feeling of accomplishment, I decided to add ten backings to my comics. Just ten. Just to get things started. Keep in mind that there are 100 cardboard backings in a package. Or at least were. Now there are none because I ended up adding all of them to the comics/bags. At 1 AM. Oops? Evening Nax felt incredibly accomplished, but Morning Nax is hella' tired right now and thinks that Evening Nax is an asshole.

Oh well. Another thing crossed off!

EDIT: Goal for tonight:

- Obtain a box to store cosplay/craft paint bottles and adhesives

(Notes to self: 12

19 +8 +2

29 total ... 36 trash +7 +2 +10 +13 +2 +3)

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Naxius said:

Evening Nax felt incredibly accomplished, but Morning Nax is hella' tired right now and thinks that Evening Nax is an asshole.

Hahahahahaha!!  I know that feeling soooo well :D  Love the way you phrased it :D

p.s. nice work getting it done, anyhoo!

• Like 2

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook