For those of you who are also fans of Mark's Daily Apple you might already know what I mean about sleeping low. Essentially, avoid conventional wisdom to replace used glycogen be eating carbs right after intense exercise at night, combining that with intermittent fasting and only consuming carbs during the IF feeding window. That's the shortest explanation I can come up with, but feel free to follow the link and get more details.

For the last 11 weeks I have been following a program that has me feeling pretty good after having dropped from 220 to 212 pounds on the scale and dropping 4.2% in bodyfat percentage. The downside is that the first 6 pounds on the scale happened in the first 6 weeks, so it's kind of plateaued since then. I've got 1 more week of that program which corresponds to zero week and then it's time to either start it over again or try something new. With the success I've had, I kinda want to keep going with it but I feel like I could've done better with a better diet. I did break a few bad habits and perhaps I should be content to move along at that pace. So, I've decided to split the difference and do something different...for 1 month and then go back to the original plan. Consider it a 1 month de-load phase, but not quite. I'm still going to be running sprints and doing interval weight training circuits. However, I'm going to attempt to switch up my schedule so I'm doing those at night, sleeping more in the morning and drastically changing when I eat. Hopefully that kick starts some more serious fat burning. So here goes...

Week zero goals:

Finish what I started:  Yesterday was upper body training, today was sprints, tomorrow is a leg day and Thursday is upper body again. Friday is sprints, Saturday is legs and Sunday is rest. At that time, I will take all new measurements to see what the final tally is.

Week 1 - 4 Goals for days 1 - 6 in the week:

Goal #1: Intermittent fasting to eat only between noon and 8 PM. This is setup well by my previous challenges of eliminating the morning drive thru and the night time snacking. So, it's really a continuation of the path I've been on.

Goal #2: No carbs at all after training sessions. Protein is okay, but no carbs or the glycogen depletion experiment is out the window.

Goal #3: Moving training to the evening hours will be a switch for me, and probably the hardest part of this challenge as well as the most important. If this doesn't happen everything else falls apart. Without the training there is no glycogen depletion. I've always worked out in the morning as I can get it in before the day gets in the way and I end up not doing something at night. But, honestly, once the kids are done with homework and in bed, I'm either watching TV or playing video games. There's no good reason why I couldn't workout at night and just get more sleep in the morning. Even if it's just 5 sets of 20 burpees (just, ha!), that's not that time consuming, extremely tiring and can be done in any weather.

Day 7 is a rest day to do whatever I feel like.

Week 1 - 4 Goals for everyday in the week:

Goal #4: Sleep. Gots to get me some ZZZ's or once again this will fall apart. So, at least 7 hours of sleep a night. The ol' FitBit has me averaging only 6 1/2 over the last 3 months so I definitely have a lot of work to do. This is something I need to do regardless of training or nutrition. It could be a big reason why I've plateaued in the first place.

This is a rather unusual challenge for me. I don't generally create goals that are dependent on other goals as it seems like a setup for failure. But, I've promised myself that this is just for this month. Then it's back to dancing with the date that brought me this far in 2016 for the May challenge.

• Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Following along.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along.

1 hour ago, Raxie said:

You've got an interesting challenge set up here. Good luck, I'll be following along!

Thanks for joining me on this challenge! This one is so different from what I usually do that it will be a fun journey outside my comfort zone. But, I'm going to learn a lot about who and what I am.

• Like 2

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

So far everything is being worked according to plan on the exercise front. Legs yesterday and upper body this morning. I feel like a big pile of soreness and jello like arms and back. My legs are fine as long as I'm not in transition between sitting and standing. If I pick one and stay there, my legs are happy. As soon as I do any movement closely resembling a squat, my legs complain that I met my quota yesterday. Tis a good soreness.

The nutrition front however is suffering a big hangover from the holiday weekend that saw waaaaaaayyyyyyyy too much food prepared. Me and my difficulty throwing away things I paid money for, have had me eating way too much of the things. Not necessarily bad things since we didn't have a lot of that to start with. But, just too much food has been consumed. On the plus side, what could go in the freezer is in the freezer and what couldn't is now gone. So, I have the weekend to wakeup from this multi day binge induced food coma.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2016 at 8:56 AM, Raxie said:

Ahhh jello legs.  Gotta love it.  I had the same problem recovering from the weekend and having so much leftover deliciousness.  BUT.  You've caught yourself and are on your way back to food sanity.  Good job :)

Well, I caught myself that's true. Wish I did it sooner than I did, but I guess it could've been worse, right? Just gotta work a little harder to get it back. Good thing last week was zero week!

2 hours ago, lilbichy said:

How was your weekend and the official start to the challenge?

I tried to recover for the weekend, but apparently there was a bigger price to pay for my gluttony of the early half of last week. But, other than the outcome with the tape measure and the scale (was up 2 pounds from the last weigh-in :( ), it was a pretty good weekend. My run on Sunday was felt slow and heavy, but the final time and distance was not terrible. Not great, but not terrible. And I did manage to get a lot more sleep in 4 of the last 5 days. Over that time frame I'm averaging 6:57 hours of sleep. I would have made it over 7 hours for the average if the dog didn't wake me up in the middle of the night on Sunday and then find a bunch of rabbits to chase instead of coming back inside. But, she's darn cute and she did get the rabbits away from my wife's tulips, so she get's a pass :D 

Yesterday was the first day with the new nutrition/training timeline. It went fairly well. I'm just so used to exercising in the morning that the whole night thing felt kind of weird. Plus, last night's training was burpees and goblet squats til you die. And today I feel sore all over. But, sleeping an extra hour in the morning the last 2 days was kinda nice. And simply limiting when I'm eating rather than what with the intermittent fasting feels much easier and simpler than tracking macros. For now, I'll leave that for another challenge down the road.

• Like 3

Whoa! Did today get away from me with all the work stuffs. It's 4:00 in the afternoon and I'm finally updating my thread for yesterday. I was hoping to get better at this. Anyhooooo...

Day 2 1/2 update:

Monday's glycogen depleting workout (20 burpees as fast as you can with good form followed by 2 minutes rest, repeat 4 more times then repeat with goblet squats) was far more exhausting in the moment than last night's KB complex workout (swings, clean&press, reverse lunges, rows, rest 1 minute, repeat 4 more times). But, when I woke up this morning, my muscles were complaining more than yesterday. Not sure if that's because of the specific workout or a cumulative effect. I do feel much more mentally present for my entire workout than my previous morning workouts. Used to take me a set or two to wake up I think. So, that's a bonus.

Intermittent fasting has gone well so far, although it was slightly harder today as I was feeling hungry earlier in the day. But not impossible, so we'll keep this going.

Throughout the day I've made a conscious effort to get in as much walking as possible throughout the day as a form of low intensity exercise. Plus, it beats staring at my computer monitors. Today, I haven't done as well as the previous two days, but still better than previous weeks.

On the sleeping front, I've been going to bed around the time I used to, but getting out of bed almost an hour later. However, the FitBit claims I'm a restless sleeper and haven't gained an additional hour of sleep. More like 20 minutes. But, its better than before and I feel like I have more energy throughout the day. But, it falls a little short of my goal of sleep hours in a night. I might have to try some herbal tea or something before bed. Something with no carbs/calories other than cold water.

So, there you have it. It's only 2 1/2 days, but not too bad so far at following the plan.

• Like 1

awesome start!  i have trouble depending on my fitbit sleep tracking.  some days i feel like i got awesome sleep, fitbit shows not so awesome.  other days i feel like i had a really restless night, fitbit says it was great.  LOL  If your body tells you that the sleep was good, trust it!

On 2016-04-06 at 4:08 PM, jstanlick said:

So, there you have it. It's only 2 1/2 days, but not too bad so far at following the plan.

Sounds like a solid start to things!

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ]  Thunderlord of the Legio Thundaris 

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

awesome start!  i have trouble depending on my fitbit sleep tracking.  some days i feel like i got awesome sleep, fitbit shows not so awesome.  other days i feel like i had a really restless night, fitbit says it was great.  LOL  If your body tells you that the sleep was good, trust it!

Truth. There are times it says I slept well and I don't feel that way and vice versa. My goal is just to get more sleep because I know I don't get enough more days than not. I'm hoping that if it records more sleep than before, that's got to be better.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

On April 6, 2016 at 3:08 PM, jstanlick said:

I do feel much more mentally present for my entire workout than my previous morning workouts.

This sounds like a great outcome from switching to night workouts.  I'll have to try nights from time to time.

Challenges: 1, 2, 3

So far so good. Well, I'm following the goals anyway. Since this is an experiment I won't be sure if it's good until this challenge is over.

But I feel good about how this week has gone so far and at the very least I feel like this is a plan I'm going to follow. Right now, that's good enough.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Alright, so somehow I managed to unfollow my own thread! No that's some serious talent right there! Not sure how I pulled that off, but sorry for not responding to people's posts. For the moment, I'm going to blame my Tapatalk skillz -- or lack thereof.

This sounds like a great outcome from switching to night workouts.  I'll have to try nights from time to time.

I must admit, I was very afraid to switch to night workouts. In the past, I'd always decided it was too late, I was too tired, etc. And there's always some kind of scheduling anomaly that pops up and gets in the way (like tonight is starting out to be). But, I did fail to take into account that I'm a lot more awake at that time and I think my workouts are more fruitful. Hopefully I can keep this going.

I'm impressed by your challenge. I think glycogen depletion is HARD!

So far, they've been exhausting. And sometimes they've been unexpected. Take Saturday for instance, since the puppy (she will always be referred to as a puppy in my lexicon) is now over 1 yrs old, I took her with me on a distance run. We had only done sprints together on the soccer field up to this point. What a disaster! Between her dragging me down the road at a full sprint, to performing a perfect 90 degree turn to chase a rabbit, or a dead stop to smell something interesting or to just do her business, I was exhausted after about 15 minutes and we walked more than ran the rest of the distance home. My average pace was almost 2 minutes/mile off of what it has been lately. Her bird dog nose and instinct will be hard to overcome. I'm amazed at how sore my abs, arms and shoulders were just trying to pull her in the right direction and keep running at the same time. But, this was supposed to just be a simple 5K pace run in the afternoon. When it came around to my actual depletion workout, I lasted about 5 minutes before gasping for air and having my muscles complain about not having any energy. On the plus side, she might have helped me discover a different depletion workout :P

• Like 2

Week 1 recap:

Intermittent fasting has gone well for the most part. My wife and daughter were at the state forensics tournament on Saturday and it was just me and the boys at home. They really wanted to go somewhere and eat in the morning. I held them off for a while, but we ended up eating around 10 AM or so which was a couple hours too early.

As far as the no carbs after training, the first week was no anything after training. Just kinda worked out that way. It was pretty much just water, shower and sleepy-time after the workouts.

Depletion workouts are much more tiring than they look on paper. First, I feel gassed about halfway through them and fight through the second half. Second, despite not lifting very heavy weights or just being bodyweight exercises, my body is sore the next day. Third, its kind of a rush to see if I can do better and last longer than the previous day.

Sleep has been better. Last week I averaged 10 more minutes a night than the previous week, and I'm starting this week off at much higher sleep total than last week. I was on call at work last week and have been able to put my phone away at night. When I have my phone with me all the time, I tend to look at it a lot more, especially late at night. So, with no phone I'm hoping to sleep better this week along with getting to bed at a decent hour.

• Like 3

FWIW Tapatalk has been super wonky since the forum updates so it very well may not have been you :]

I'm more than willing to blame software than admit my own shortcomings with any particular piece of technology :D

• Like 2

Week 1 recap:

Intermittent fasting has gone well for the most part. My wife and daughter were at the state forensics tournament on Saturday and it was just me and the boys at home. They really wanted to go somewhere and eat in the morning. I held them off for a while, but we ended up eating around 10 AM or so which was a couple hours too early.

As far as the no carbs after training, the first week was no anything after training. Just kinda worked out that way. It was pretty much just water, shower and sleepy-time after the workouts.

Depletion workouts are much more tiring than they look on paper. First, I feel gassed about halfway through them and fight through the second half. Second, despite not lifting very heavy weights or just being bodyweight exercises, my body is sore the next day. Third, its kind of a rush to see if I can do better and last longer than the previous day.

Sleep has been better. Last week I averaged 10 more minutes a night than the previous week, and I'm starting this week off at much higher sleep total than last week. I was on call at work last week and have been able to put my phone away at night. When I have my phone with me all the time, I tend to look at it a lot more, especially late at night. So, with no phone I'm hoping to sleep better this week along with getting to bed at a decent hour.

sounds like a solid start to the challenge!  =)

My dog's are the same way on runs, they just want to go super fast in the beginning.  I worry about them getting tired since they both weigh over 120lbs each.

• Like 1

sounds like a solid start to the challenge!  =)

My dog's are the same way on runs, they just want to go super fast in the beginning.  I worry about them getting tired since they both weigh over 120lbs each.

Whoa! 240 lbs of dog on a run sounds like near suicide, but they might listen better than my puppy does. She's fine walking, but once she realizes I'm running, she's like "WOOOOHOOO, I get to tear it up!" When we were just doing sprints, it was okay because she'll reluctantly stop running as soon as I do. Someone once told me that dogs can't maintain their speed over long distances. While it might be true they can't maintain their top speed, they can certainly maintain my top speed. Our last dog was the same way until he was about 11 or so. Then I had to stop and make him rest, cuz he never seemed to want to stop. If I didn't though, he would be too stiff to move easily later in the day. I stopped running with him altogether when he was 13. He was finally content to just go for a long walk. Hunting dogs are like that I guess.

With that much dog at the end of a leash, I'd be tempted to put on some skates and just hang on while they run...right up until they leave the pavement in favor of the grass in the park ;) 

• Like 1

Puppy-dictated interval training sounds pretty intense! Hard to quantify, but probably really good exercise.

I'm still messing up all kinds of things with the new forum format. I used to be able to edit posts, and now it isn't working. I think it will all smooth out.

Puppy intervals is both infuriating and exhilarating. Its kind of like fartleks to the nth degree. There we go, Extreme Fartlek Training by Dottie the French Brittany. Maybe I can make some money off this idea :P

Eventually I'll get the new format figured out, but its still a little bumpy for now. For example, on the old pages, I would've split that quote into two quote sections, but I haven't figured that out yet.

Yesterday was a weird day. I managed to keep getting oodles of sleep which was nice. Oodles for me means more than 7 hours. So, in the last 4 nights, I've gotten 6:59, 8:41, 7:07 & 7:14 hours of sleep. So, I'm on my way to unlocking my 7 hours of sleep per night achievement. That may not sound like much, but so far in 2016, there is only one week all year that I got more than 49 hours of sleep (49:22 to be exact). Its something that needs some serious changing. So, I'll take 7 hours or more any time I can get it. My new workout schedule of doing things at night instead of getting up early is helping to make that happen.

Speaking of which, after leaving the house at 7:20 AM and getting home at 8:30 PM, the last thing I felt like doing was a workout. But, it was Monday and that's Death by Burpees day. And I found a new challenge workout that I thought would make a good glycogen depletion workout. 10 reps of 10 different types of burpees (who knew there were so many?) in 10 minutes. 10 minutes seemed like something I could fit in after a long day. In short, I didn't manage to keep up. You get 1 minute to finish 10 burpees. If you finish before the minute is up, you get to rest until the next minute starts. I fell behind on the 6th one that required doing reverse lunges between the burpees and couldn't catch back up on the 7th one that required a long jump between each burpee. But, honestly, I did better than I thought I would. But, I managed a total of 88 of the 100 burpees in 10 minutes and today everything is a little sore.

Oh, I forgot to mention yesterday that the weekly weigh-in (I'm going to redo the body measurements and body fat % at the end of the challenge as a real measure of success) had me down 1 pound. I get on the scale at the same time each week. Since my body weight fluctuates more than that in a single day I'm not getting too excited about that. But that's better than it going the other direction. I'm really just looking for some kind of validation that the effort is producing results and the scale is the simplest way to quantify that.

• Like 2

Great work in biohacking your sleep patterns.  Will you work toward 8 hours/night after you unlock the 7 hour achievement?

[ Level ?? ]  Thunderlord of the Legio Thundaris 

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.