Azalea's 1 month Challenge

You guys are so inspiring that I decided to start a challenge post for the next month. And thank you Steve for your great website.

I've started my battle one month ago, on my own. My goals were to walk/run everyday and try to watch my fat intake (mostly cheese, peanut butter, whole milk...). I've sticked to that pretty much all the time so I was proud of myself. Results : my blood pressure is back to normal and I was able to quit the medication, but I haven't lost one pound (bummer!).

Reading this site kept my motivation up to move everyday and to be careful with what I eat. But now my strategy will be a little bit different. I will add strength training to my routine and I will mainly watch for reducing carbs and adding proteins (I wasn't eating meat regularly). Let's see what that will do in one month.

Height: 5'1

Weight: 131 lbs

Goal for september 30th : 126 lbs / do the whole beginner workout correctly at least once

Final Goal : in the 115-119 lbs range and with a better physical condition than right now (I come from several years of sedentarity)

Day 1:

did 2.5 beginner sequence -> I can't do the push ups all the way down, does it count? Should I do less of them but all the way to the floor?

this way yesterday and I'm hurting everywhere!! You know, those moments when you discover muscles you didn't know you had :roll:

Meals were ok until dinner when I slipped with ice cream...

Breakfast: 1 slice of whole bread with peanut butter + coffee/fat free milk

lunch: tomatoes + ham + cheese. Half a cup of homemade smoothie (frozen berries, yogourt, bananas, rhubarb)

dinner: vegetables + beef. And... Ice cream :?

Day 2:

Can't walk without crying... :lol:

Will do my 45 min cardio when I'm done with this post.

Breakfast: oatmeal + coffee / fat free milk

lunch: vegetables + ham + 1 apple (not sure it will be enough to wait until dinner)

dinner: don't know yet...

ok, that's it for now. Accountability... I like that.

(and by the way, I would be glad if you want to correct my English, I try to be better at it also).

Long is the road...

Day 3:

food ok, I don't even miss the bad carbs

workout... less ok, I've done only 1.5 beginner set due to aches from last workout (my legs are killing me! I hate squats :cry: ) And I didn't have the good feeling I have after my usual 2 miles walk.

weight still not moving, even an ounce!

need to drink more... and be patient.

Long is the road...

Not aching anymore yeay!

Bad mood today though... wasn't able to sleep before 2am (was in my bed at 10pm but couldn't fall asleep for any reason). Weight going up...

I still don't understand why it didn't move during the last 30 days when I was walking 1 hour every morning... Makes me mad to see no improvement with all the hard work I do.

I never EVER drink sodas or fruit juice, nor pastries, fast food, frozen ready meals....

anyway...

did my 30 min cardio today and I love that after feeling and the sweat :mrgreen:

Last newsletter made me discover Endorphin Dude, and man... you rock! seriously! Makes me want to run my ass out :lol:

have a good busy day everybody.

Long is the road...

umpff... weight still going up...

I've used Daily Burn for 4 days now. According to it, I should eat around 1500 Kcal a day and I can hardly manage to eat 1100-1300 by lowering carbs and getting more proteins. So I eat more at dinner to reach at least 1400 Kcal... bad idea I know. And before you tell me to eat more for breakfast, I cannot eat salty things in the morning like eggs, bacon, cheese. I tried and I just wanted to puke. In France we eat bread, croissant, brioche (all the bad carbs) but no proteins and it's hard to switch to salty things when you were raised like that. So I eat bread with butter or peanut butter and that's all. Maybe I should try protein powder in a smoothie?

weight going up but body fat went from 29 to 27, I suppose it's no that bad. But I really need those pounds to go away!

Went to run this morning and I was really happy to run for 6'30'' without stopping! My previous record was 1'10 (I know, that's lame... but this is my little victory :D ). Next step, run a complete mile.

long is the road :roll:

Long is the road...

back on track today...

did 20 min circuit training, youhou !

good point : my tights are stronger and leg moves are not as painful as before.

bad point : my arms are still weak... can't do proper push-ups.

eating still ok (but hard to reach up to 1500 Kcal). I added 2 scoops of protein powder.

what keeps me moving? still the after workout effet :mrgreen: I'm a junkie :mrgreen:

Long is the road...

did 1.5 push-ups today, hurray! :mrgreen:

and I've discovered that if I eat normally without thinking about calories and then recording everything on daily burn, I'm right in the good spot. If I watch what I eat, I struggle to reach the 1500 Kcal. I think I'm a small eater and what I need is to boost my metabolism. Circuit training seems to be the good solution for me.

Long is the road...

alright... 3 years later... I'm back !

now 127 pounds and trying to move out the "skinny fat" state.

Just after my last post, I moved back to France (from US) and lost 10 pounds in 2 months doing nothing (different food, no car so lots of walking).

Then, after 1 year in France we had to move to Ireland, lots of stress, new fultime desk job for me (+ still mother of two). Now 20 months settling in, it's time to do somethin'

There a small gym at my work where free weights and machines are only used by men. I don't feel confortable working out next to my collegues :-/

But I want to stength train...

Not sure what will be my plan, maybe use bodyweight sessions at home... we'll see.

I've cut out processed food and wheat for 3 weeks now (not a big difference in my weight, but a lot in my energy).

Now on to my plan :

1. keep eating real food and cook every evening.

2. Work out 3 days a week (strength with bodyweight) + 1 hike during the week end.

3. Keep my badminton sessions on Fridays because it's so much fun !

4. Not focus on my weight but on my strength

pictures of day 0 have been taken, let's do it !

Long is the road...

day 1 (sets/reps/kg) :

Bench (Chest) Press, Machine     3/7/20
Shoulder Press     2/5/15
Leg Press     3/10/40
Overhead Press, Machine, Seated     3/10/30
Standing Biceps Curl, Dumbell     2/10/15

+10 minutes run at 8km/h

day 2 : 1 hour walk

I plan on doing the angry bird workout tomorrow because gym at work is way too crowded.

Long is the road...