The WorldSparrow enters 'The Hole'

WorldSparrow

Greetings!

Welcome to the April challenge of WorldSparrow. I have always been in decent shape, and never had to work for it. Despite this, my coasting through life disgusts me. So now I am endeavoring to spread my wings and with conscious effort, to systematically live a purposeful life searching for greatness.

For this challenge I am drawing inspiration from Captain Lee Harden, from the work of fiction, 'The Remaining'. Harden doesn't represent a super solder, like many fictional characters, but instead demonstrates an unwavering resolve to NEVER QUIT. Despite the countless setbacks and injuries, he never stops in his mission to rebuild a devastated US Government in this apocalyptic novel.

So I stand in my underground bunker. The US Government has sequestered me here in the wake of a viral outbreak INCONUS. I have no idea what is happening in the world above, and have four weeks to prepare myself for what ever awaits me. I am the coordinator assigned to the state of Iowa, and it is my mission to rescue and rebuild. 

1st Quest: Never Quit!

Dehydrated, suffering from explosions, bullet wounds, and ever gouges from rusty nails - Harden never quits. He keeps putting on foot in front of the other, so my first goal is going to be running oriented. I am listing is as cardio because if the weather gets bad (It's the upper mid-west, anything can happen) I will substitute jumping rope, ect.

Goal: Conduct cardio training for at least 30 minutes every other day for the month of April.

Reward: New pair of running shoes

2nd Quest: Shoulder any burden!

If one of your comrades goes down, or if you happen upon an M240 machine gun, you will need those muscles to carry the load, so my second goal is to keep consistent with my strength training. I have owned weights for over a year now, but I haven't used them with much frequency.

Goal: Conduct strength training for at least 30 minutes every other day for the month of April.

Reward: A kettle bell to go with my other weights 

3rd Quest: Supplies never last!

When we first meet our hero, he is living in a bunker under ground, built by the US Government - which he calls the Hole. It is already stocked with food, but he still has a limited amount. For this first challenge I will not be trying to adjust my food intake, simply recording it so that I can make an educated decision on where to go next.

Goal: Track all food and beverage intake for the month of April.

Reward: Not sure on this one.

4th Quest: A Island in a stormy sea.

Harden is a lone operator, sent out to save people and rebuild what he can in the case of a disaster. Working alone against unstoppable odds takes true mental strength, so my last goal is mind oriented.

Goal: Meditate for at least 10 minutes every day in the month of April. 

Reward: Meditation pillow

This is my first attempt at a four week challenge, I look forward to your thoughts!

• Like 10

Level 8 Expert in Obscure Details

Challenges: 1 : 234 : 5 : 6The Martian

When you made a comment about us sharing interests on my challenge, you piqued my curiosity.  When I read 'WorldSparrow enters the Vault,' I assumed this would be a Fallout reference, which caught my eye right away even though I've never played, and still you had my curiosity.  Now that I've read through your challenge inspiration and goals, you fully have my attention.

This looks like the beginning of a really fun and interesting challenge!  I'll be checking out The Remaining right away.  Sounds right up my alley.  ;)

• Like 3

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

5 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

When you made a comment about us sharing interests on my challenge, you piqued my curiosity.  When I read 'WorldSparrow enters the Vault,' I assumed this would be a Fallout reference, which caught my eye right away even though I've never played, and still you had my curiosity.  Now that I've read through your challenge inspiration and goals, you fully have my attention.

This looks like the beginning of a really fun and interesting challenge!  I'll be checking out The Remaining right away.  Sounds right up my alley.  ;)

Yes, I totally messed up the reference. In the book he actually calls his bunker "The Hole". Not sure what I was thinking! Very good book series though. Much more realistic than many zombie type fiction. 

• Like 2

Had to track down your challenge after our discussion of all things Mando.  I'll be cheering you on. 

Love the meditation bit.  Meditating has helped me a lot with anxiety over the past couple years.

• Like 1
Spoiler

Currently...

Playing (Video Game): RDR2

DMing: Tyranny of Dragons.  First session 11/29.

Broba Fett tracks em down.

Facebook (Personal)  Facebook (Author Page)

Past Challenges:

Yay! I found you!

Very good 1st challenge WorldSparrow- I'm impressed! I also will be checking this book out. Hopefully it's on audible :)

I'm digging all this- can't wait to see you take on these next 4-weeks!

Wolf

"Daddy needs to express some Rage."

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

These are great goals, I'm subbing to follow your progress. Good luck, ranger.

• Like 1

Geek On Fire | Level 4 Half Elf Ranger

STR: 9 | DEX: 4 | STA: 9 | CON: 14 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 4

Challenges: 12, 3, 4, 5Battle log

"No man is more unhappy than he who never faces adversity. For he is not permitted to prove himself"  - Seneca

"The only easy day was yesterday" - US Navy SEAL motto

Day Zero: Tomorrow my challenge begins.

download (4).jpg

(flavor text): Today my commander sequestered me to The Hole... again... it has been happening more and more lately. Then again, I really don't have a reason to complain, do I? Operation Hometown is a cake walk, the government built me this home over my bunker and all I have to do is climb in it when ever they think something might go wrong. But we all no that will never happen. I am a contingency, and contingencies don't happen. Every evening my commander will contact me to tell me everything is alright, and likely promise me that soon I can come back 'to the land of the living' as he likes to say.

(stats and behavior): Workout Log

Above the Line: (acceptable behavior)

Helped father in law on the farm today. Got time outside and helped someone in need!

Took over wife's chores as she was feeling sick

Below the Line: (unacceptable behavior)

Put son to bed late (got distracted by book)

House isn't as clean as it should be

Tomorrows big three:

Work on new employee handbook

Clean basement

Shelve one box of books

• Like 4

Day One: The Wait begins

(flavor text): Slept in today, why not? Haven't seen much on the internet about the supposed crisis the government is worried about. Maybe it has something to do with the new virus thingy that is cropping up in Asia? Watching with keen interest. Thought about sending an email to some of the other coordinators in other states to see if they know anything, but technically that is against regs. 

My run time is down, better try harder next time.  

Responded professionally and firmly with coworker who was swearing and responding with anger over something little.

Respectfully gave coworker advice on personal life (after he asked) without trying to impose my own values or ideas on him.

Remained positive through most of the day.

Got a slice of pizza at the gas station! (insert boos and hisses here)

Got a little short with wife (quickly corrected)

Today's big three:

Work on new employee handbook

Clean basement (started not finished)

Shelve one box of books

Tomorrows big three:

Clean basement (hold over - 1)

Organize workshop 

PMCS Equipment

• Like 3

Hi WorldSparrow! Intrigued by your challenge theme and reporting format...how did you come up with the Above/Below the line and Big three evaluation method?

Have to admit I love fantastical heroes, but 'regular' guys who overcome are just as or even more awesome for sure.

Is the meditation pillow for sitting on? Have fallen off the meditation habit myself, maybe I'll add it back next challenge.

• Like 1

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

DAY 2: Fell off the Rails

Well, only made it to day two before I fell off the rails a bit! I still technically got my challenges complete it was just barely, and not up to the standard I hold for myself. Also did very little for my big three. Heck, didn't even post my update until the morning after. Not sure where my day went. Well, as they say - never miss two days in a row, so I better get moving. One thing I know is that I need to make a point system for the next challenge, as it is too easy for me to beat myself up with my current pass/fail method.  That is one thing I am very good at, beating myself up. 

On the up side, I did up my five rep squat to 215 (at 150 body weight). So... progress! Almost to the intermediate standard for my body weight (230 lbs).

Once again improved performance when dealing with difficult coworkers.

Did not do complete planned workout.

Eat too much for supper (didn't take lunch to work)

Did not work on each of my big three.

Rode a book while driving, what can I say, I really love reading books.

Today's big three:

Clean basement (hold over - 1)

Organize workshop 

PMCS Equipment

Tomorrows big three:

Laundry

Organize workshop (hold over - 1)

PMCS Equipment (hold over -1)

1 hour ago, Hiroro said:

Hi WorldSparrow! Intrigued by your challenge theme and reporting format...how did you come up with the Above/Below the line and Big three evaluation method?

Have to admit I love fantastical heroes, but 'regular' guys who overcome are just as or even more awesome for sure.

Is the meditation pillow for sitting on? Have fallen off the meditation habit myself, maybe I'll add it back next challenge.

The Above/Below the line idea came from a talk I listened to by a Green Beret who said that most things are not black and white, but at some point you have to draw a line. With every thing you do, you can ask yourself "Am I proud of this?" if yes, it is above the line - if no, you get the idea.

As for the big three, that one came from a TED talk. A programmer actually made a social media type app for tracking the three most important tasks you wanted to complete in a day. I have also read it else where, how many people tend to make their to-do lists too long and get overwhelmed, so it is better to limit yourself to three big tasks and once those are complete do three more.  

Sorry I don't have links, I have tried to find both talks in the past and can't remember what they where called or where to find them! 

Yes, the pillow is for sitting on. I haven't done my full research yet, so this won't be the one I will get (too expensive) but here is an example. I might even get a regular pillow and call it my butt-pillow. It's main purpose is to take the pressure off your ankles by slightly elevating your rear end while sitting cross legged. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WorldSparrow said:

Well, only made it to day two before I fell off the rails a bit! I still technically got my challenges complete it was just barely, and not up to the standard I hold for myself.

If you did it, you did it.  We set up our challenges the way we do for exactly this reason - they're what you wanted to get done! Sure you didn't do it how you had wanted, but you still did what you needed to do despite everything.  I wouldn't call this off the rails at all, but staying right on them, albeit maybe going a bit slower.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, WorldSparrow said:

That is one thing I am very good at, beating myself up. 

I know this all too well. Just keep your head up and forget about the mess-ups. 

On 4/5/2016 at 10:23 PM, WorldSparrow said:

Got a little short with wife (quickly corrected)

Happy wife-happy life lol. 

Keep it up, WorldSparrow! Make today a great day and tackle the Big 3!

Wolf

• Like 2

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

DAY 3

Better day today. Thanks for the encouragement friends! 

Got a new employee today with no teeth. It is very difficult to train a person in a loud environment when they can't talk loudly or clearly. I was very frustrated, but I kept my cool and drove on.

Failed to clean son's breakfast up and found ants after work!

Today's big three:

Laundry

Organize workshop (hold over - 1)

PMCS Equipment (hold over -1)

Tomorrows big three:

Study for at least 30 minutes.

Clean Vehicles.

Email a distant friend.

• Like 1

DAY 4

Kind of a bland day today, nothing good and nothing bad happened. It was lukewarm, but that is alright. 

3 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

Way to get back on it.  I cannot imagine the frustration in training a toothless employee.

Then again, I work in management in a call center....

We work in a factory (yuck) so if you don't speak loud and clear it is very hard to communicate! I worked at a call center once... probably the only thing I hated more than a factory. haha 

In a bit of a rush tonight so not going to post my usual stuff, but I will say with all these workouts, PvPs, and mini challenges my body is starting to be ready for a rest day! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WorldSparrow said:

but I will say with all these workouts, PvPs, and mini challenges my body is starting to be ready for a rest day! 

Cannot remember the last time I've completed so many push-up or sit-up reps in one week.  If nothing else, this week has been wildly successful there.  ;)

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

DAY 5:

Had another good day today, although my wife drug me out to visit some of her friends so I didn't get a lot of my workouts completed. That's life, no harm no foul, can't spend every waking hour in the gym right? I swear that tonight I will go back to my full reporting method... plus I plan on doing more of a write up for my fictional alter ego to try and motivate myself some more. 

I have to stay motivated as I work every day this weekend, yuck. 

• Like 3