Glass - no. 12: shake the world

Glass

"In a gentle way, you can shake the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

tumblr_o4cexwDnov1ukofkbo1_r3_540.jpg

I have a new book. Its called Quiet: The power of introverts in a world that cant stop talking. 

Am I an introvert? 18/20 checks on a questionnaire in the book later, yes. I am an extrovert too. Each one can bring me happiness and maybe the label is less important than what I like doing in an given situation. 

Anyway, this is my 12th challenge, and time for another month's thread. Here we go:

--

Dream #1: Social skills

-AM/PM journal, go out with friends, read books, watch documentaries/movies, listen to podcasts, start volunteering, start going to more concerts/meetups

To-do's for the month: finish that coach.me plan for posture, finish aoc so you can unsubscribe and avoid the monthly fee, read that social circles pdf

Stats: +1 sta, +1 con +2 wis, +1 cha   

A: 6 sessions a week, 24 total   

Dream #2: Play Guitar in a band

-Weekly lessons, AUG course music theory, ear training apps, jam with people

To-do's for the month: Sign up for the cape cod conservatory summer classes, singing videos on youtube, a starting course

Stats: +1 dex, +2 wis, +1 cha  

Dream #3: Improve Jiu-Jitsu

-Go to the dojoblackbelt concepts course, read 'Jiu-jitsu University', improve cooking/diet, start yoga

To-do's for the month: Work on the yoga poses in coach.me plans, look into starting yoga/dancing classes, mediation group in yarmouth

Stats: +3 str, +1 dex, +1 sta, +1 con

tumblr_o48u8umvJj1rs8w78o1_540.jpg

Side missions:

-Spend less than $1000 this month on food, gas, supplies, going out, games, stuff thats not monthly recurring or airplane tickets

-Get 7 hrs of sleep average a night

--

Here's last month:

$1702, $55/day

6.8 hrs avg

• Like 2

Level 72. Adventure Knight. 

str 139.3 dex 130.3 sta 140.7 con 141.2 wis 158.5 cha 147.1 

"You have in you the seeds of greatness and the seeds of destruction. The seeds you nurture will prevail. Choose wisely."

"Spring comes, the grass grows by itself" ~Zen proverb

Ooooh, I love how you set up this challenge. You are literally following your dreams! 

Good luck with your challenge, Glass!

• Like 2

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Good luck!

• Like 1

Level: 15 Race: Human Class: Adventurer (Sailor Senshi/Aes Sedai)

STR: 14    DEX: 12    STA: 16   CON: 28   WIS: 26    CHA: 15 

(unspent points: 6? challenges worth)

Weight Loss Progress (SW 12/5/15 272)

Mini-Goal: Get back down to my low 152.2 - SW 6/1/17 170.4 - CW 6/10/17: 166.6

regained the last few months - back on track losing in June

My Battle Log|My NF Character Sheet

Challenges:

1/16-2/16-3/16-4/16-5/16-6/16-7/16-8/16-9/16-11/16-12/16-1/17-2/17-

Thanks I am grateful for your support :)

tumblr_mf78o3pDeq1r6llc1o1_500.jpg

4-3.

-Had guests over at my house. We got food, watched How I met your mother, and went to the mall. Just wished they didnt smoke so many cigarettes.

-Finished up Choke. It gave me a lot of insights into an actual match (wouldnt ever want to do mma actually) and the mind of a legend, Rickson Gracie. That one guy lost vision in his eye permanently...

-No time for guitar today, was just cleaning and taking care of stuff and organizing. Fine.

4-4.

-Worked 8-6, then took a nap, relaxed, did some yoga, reflecitons, tried to read, did some ear training and intervals. 

4-5.

-Even though I worked 10 hours today, I was able to fit a lot of stuff in.

-BJJ: yoga fire series A. This was fun once i got into it, and exciting. half splits are fcking hard though. I can't balance for sht, and i still can't touch my toes lol. Definitely cant do splits or even half splits. 

-Ear training by tinkering with my keyboard, I can definitely see measurable improvement and that makes me happy.

-Reading a little bit of courage by osho, and some reflections.

• Like 1

"You have in you the seeds of greatness and the seeds of destruction. The seeds you nurture will prevail. Choose wisely."

tumblr_ngzfoqA1Be1rs8w78o1_540.jpg

4-6.

-BJJ class

-Guitar lessons, confidence from practice, then confidence from tests, then confidence from a lot of tests

-reflections, reading. Got a new book do less i'm excited to read it. it says... a minimalist guide to a simplified, organized, and happy life

4-7.

-Yoga poses in coach.me

-Ear training with confidence. Don't rush through and cheat, imagine yourself singing the interval, make that sound, then confirm with the key until you nail it. 

-Read Do Less a little and some reflections

• Like 2

On April 7, 2016 at 10:33 PM, Glass said:

Got a new book do less i'm excited to read it. it says... a minimalist guide to a simplified, organized, and happy life

I like the idea of being a minimalist, but I have way too many books for that to work.  I am trying to de-clutter my life though.  If you pick up any good tips for simplifying, I'd love to hear them.  Good luck with your challenge!

• Like 1

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

“Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.”   Vincent Van Gogh

I'm literally reading this book with a highlighter theres some good stuff hahah. 

It talks about how minimalism can bring more happiness in your life because you understand the simple things that will give you pleasure, and the decluterring will creat the time and motivation for challenging tasks that bring long-term contentment and satisfaction. Happiness doesnt require deep closets full of stuff in order to enjoy. The business, immediate notifications, and wide choice of things to do with the internet actually bogs us down with obligations and decisions. 

-me just looking over what i highlighted the first chapter haha

• Like 1

tumblr_n8jrntNpZu1rs8w78o1_540.jpg

4-8.

-Real quick, I finished up my coach.me plan called "2 min office chair yoga" that I've been procrastinating on for what must be like a year by now. I guess I;m better at just blasting these things out all in one day rather than 5 min a day or something. or just set aside time... I just want to finish.

-Went over music theory and reviewed the AUG course, the 7 different modes of the major diatonic scale.

-Stayed in and hung out with friends

-Research on japan, more hanging out, lunch

-Started lesson 17 of AUG about music theory

-Belted out a real quick lesson on grappling

• Like 1

tumblr_nrhsraJP941tkxohso1_500.jpg

WEEK ONE REVIEW

Social: 7/6

Guitar: 6/6

Jiujitsu: 7/6

Overall: 20/18 (111%)

-Really good week! I loved that the structure of a lot of my days off are just spend an hour and a half doing guitar or jiujitsu study, my passions, then some to do stuff, then the night I can hang out or go out with friends and still have more fun, the immediate gratification type. A nice mix of short term and long term pleasure i suppose, though I am trying to convince myself that studying my passions and chasing my dreams is enjoyable in itself, which it can be, and sometimes is, but sometimes I don't automatically think so and its a block to getting started. But I am always happy after and so so glad that I studied my passions today. Hell yea! Surprisingly, I have made good progress into my monthly goals as well. Yoga, looking into classes, finishing up coach.me and aoc, etc. Good start!

• Like 2

tumblr_nh8thvADYz1rs8w78o1_540.jpg

4-10.

-Sunday. Day 1 of the second week. 

-Banged out the BJJ and Guitar learning real quick first thing, and that was great. because everything else is pretty much automatically a social event that I can use for practice. reflections, etc. These two are the ones that i really need to sit down and focus and concentrate and thus get into the zone and be interested outside of myself as well. 

-Started to organize my bookmarks like do less, with the same principles. Dam i have so much junk. Then played some heroes of the storm and some super smash brothers with my high school bros.

• Like 2

You're kicking it!

So happy that you're doing so well, keep on leading the way. 

I hadn't heard of coach me before... sorely tempted to start using it. 

*Sends you a cheering sloth* 

:D haha thanks for the alive animals... Habitica is my favorite app/site to get a daily routine going, I'll send you an invite to my party if you end up using it

And boo at not being able to edit my posts.... Gonna run out of nice images soon xD

tumblr_n9vcwoqCxy1r7xgixo1_500.jpg

4-11. 

-BJJ, another lesson watched, this time attack by combination (ABC). Its the theory that you get them into one disadvantagous position (like a submission) then the way that they get out of it puts them in position for another submission, and another, and another. Cycle drills let you go through 5+ subs and helps you see more opportunities. I think its key that I learned that a submission isnt an end to itself, sometimes its just an advantage for the next sub, which is even more of an advantage, and so forth.

-Guitar lesson, first half of lesson 18 on deriving modes. Ionian -> Dorian -> Phrygian -> Lydian -> Mixolydian -> Aeolian -> Locrian. Most songs are made up of only 7 notes!! 

-Went through AOC, watching all the videos, downloading the lesson slides. 7 weeks to go, I think. Maybe 8. And I just sent an email asking to get refunded for the last 6 months and they responded within a few hours, no questions asked, so fuk yea got some $$ back :)

Wow, so I went on a trip to Louisiana to visit one of my friends and spending 2 days in New Orleans. I wasn't sure if I was gonna be able to update (I didn't) but I don't mind too much. If I'm on vacation its like I'm working on my other passions, so its all cool. Here are the entries for the rest of the week: 

4-12. 

-BJJ lesson 12, faking east and going west. Also 5/25 poses in the coach.me yoga program. Well, this may take longer than I thought but its really good details on where to focus and images for muscle parts. A lot on posture, which I love. 

-Finished lesson 18, more about modes. Wanted to do more but I didn't want to overload on guitar and not get the other stuff done, so I held back and then never went back to it. Oh well. I seem to like to open with guitar first. 

-Started the social circles pdf, and played some super smash with a friend. 

4-13.

-Tried to watch some bjj stuff, but I didnt save it properly. Thats ok. Reviewed the AUG course, read my book on minimalism, and moved on. Spending the night eating fatty foods in Louisiana haha.

tumblr_nh361gv2Rn1rs8w78o1_540.jpg

WEEK TWO REVIEW

-Short week because of my trip, 5 days of my time, got time for my passions on two of those days, my airplane days. I'll count it as a 4 day week: Sunday, monday, tuesday, wednesday. 

Social: 4/4

Guitar: 4/4

Jiujitsu: 3/4

Overall: 11/12 (92%)

-Not too bad, i realize that its not my goal to be doing my passions and studying when I'm on vacation with other people and trying to enjoy my time over there. So.... Lets go :)

tumblr_n6wdf2HeuA1supp8bo1_500.jpg

4-17.

-First half of lesson 19 aug, about mode jam tracks and review.

-Reviewed the pdfs for the last couple lessons for grappling. Really need to look at this stuff multiple times to get it. After that need to try multiple times on actual people. Lot of work x_x

-Creative aspirations in talking to people and people skills. Wasn't sure but just made some small talk and statements about the quick plane flight and she ended up asking all about me and having a conversation. People are really different from you, i think a lot of people like to talk, even if it doesnt come naturally to me. Being open and confident and yourself is the goal, always in any situation no matter what you are afraid of or trying to hide or run away from.

tumblr_nfk7wqZOfV1rs8w78o1_540.jpg

4-18. 

-Guitar: played different scales on the guitar, tried to sing and predict the intervals. 

-Played super smash brothers, got a haircut (work on being yourself in this situation, its hard with strangers but I have creative aspirations), and set up a budget for my finances, my goal of paying off debt, and how I am going to do it. $200 a week goal! Once I pay off my credit card in like 8 months I will divert that money into my student loans until that is paid off too, and start a savings account and emergency fund.  

-No BJJ today because I spent the first part being inspired with my financial life, then got lazy and tired and sick and played video games with my friend. That’s ok, because I got enough accomplished on the end with social 

4-19. 

-Guitar lesson with scotty, need to practice finding the bass note in the chord, and need to practice octave intervals as well. Good lesson, and finished 19 too. 

-BJJ went over lesson 7 harassing the head, and also thought about thought and how there is learning showing up in your mind, learning showing up in your body, and learning showing up with you using your mind and body in the moment. Training and testing for the moment and for scenarios is the only way principles and techniques will show up in your rolling and learning. Other than that, mind and body training is just to prepare you to learn to use it in the moment so you can use it confidently in the moment. 

-Cleaned up my house, cooked for the first time in forever (turned out really really well, but it took up like 2 hrs). Cooking is not bad, it keeps me in the moment and is a nice challenge. I started a cooking log. Only thing is that it does take up a good amount of time, but maybe that’s a good use of time. Simple dishes only please, 5 ingredients or less! 

4-20. 

-Started lesson 20, more scales and more modes. A lot of information about how to use the different mode finger charts, playing to the jam tapes and practicing every combination. 

-Started lesson 13 on posture. Lots of good infomration, gives me a great idea on what to think whenever im in closed guard. Goals, and just being able to picture it and knowing what to do. 

-Read more Do less, and almost done! I want to finihs it but its already the 20th, 2/3 of the way through the month and I still havent finished some of my goals. So I'll put this on hold and work on completing my monthly challenge goals first, then I can write this or others for next month.  

• Like 1

tumblr_nybn4fwBxq1qgb4moo1_500.jpg

4-21.

-I finally learned the secret of editing a post!! Right click edit, open in a new tab. Finally. haha

-Searched for best singing resources online. Narrowed them down to 7 sites or videos, now to go over them the next week or so and get some knowledge!

-Read social circles pdf, a lot of good info on not only gaining confidence and facing fears, but moving beyond that and beyond being passive and being active in growing your social life. That confidence bit is just the first bit! Ideas, the second and more important part is action... the simple pleasure of action :)

-Yoga with Adrienne. Staff pose, plank pose, and forward fold pose. Dam my hamstrings are stiff. Can't even bend all the way xD

4-22.

-Woke up at 8 am, could have had a lot of time to work on habits and hobbies... but i slept and woke up at 1150 am. just enough time to meditate and eat and get ready. Oh well. I needed that time anyway to sleep, maybe it helps with my sickness. but i miss doing my passions and learning and exploring, i wanted to do it. it made my day and made me happy. 

-After work, went out with coworkers for a quick hour or so. Sleep now.

4-23.

-Work 8-8, stayed an hour and a half to do the schedule, send a work email. Went home, didnt go out, shower, cook (1.5 hr affair) read a sec and then do my evening routine. Sleep and wake up for tmr, pooped!

tumblr_nehnb8KZYV1tsgjupo1_500.jpg

WEEK THREE REVIEW

Guitar: 5/6

Jiujitsu: 5/6

Overall: 17/18 (94%)

-Too tired the last 2 days, social event on friday and saturday just cooked and slept after a 12 hr work day and staying late. Not too bad. Onwards!

--

"The call to simplicity and freedom is a reminder that our worth comes not from the amount of our involvements, achievements, or possessions, but from the depth and care which we bring to each moment, place, and person in our lives" -Richard A. Bower

tumblr_n8nxi7zWhk1rs8w78o1_540.jpg

4-24. 

-Yoga positions with Adriene! Today was runners lunge, corpse, downward dog, recline twists, and extended childs pose. lots of good stuff!

-Singing q and a with mark baxter, really good resource to begin thinking about singing.

-Read abotu zen koans, and feeling nothing to get away from everything and to strip away unhappiness. About freedom from other peoples thoughts, and freedom from your own as well. just whent he midn and body click and you just live in the moment, love doubt and uncertainty because that is where transformation lives, that is where happiness can suddenly appear. if you let go of reason, then you gain freedom. if you attach happiness to a reason, then that reason can be taken away from you. if there is no reason, happiness can never be taken away and happnes no matter what, it happens from nothing. Nothing...

4-25.

-reflections

-Ear trained on my guitar, tried to hear the 5 and the 8 with different root notes

-a little yoga redux, and cooking

tumblr_nocp16bpBi1utytoxo4_500.jpg

4-26.

-Worked 12=10, woke up, read some koans, then came home and vegged out. sleep "early" because im gonna go to the urgent care clinic early tmr, waking up at 7.

4-27.

-Lots of stuff today. Work 1-10

-Aoc slides for another month, review, reflections, read a little minimalism

-Guitar practice, various scales, going up/down half tones/tones

4-28.

-Bday! read more koans, played guitar (i love touching my guitar), reflections

4-29.

-Working 8-6, chilled, drive back, food, hang out.

4-30.

-Rock climbing, dinner, drinks, going out... fun. 

tumblr_ny4z0yn5YX1sk5oq0o1_500.png

WEEK FOUR REVIEW

Guitar: 4/6

Jiujitsu: 2/6

Overall: 13/18 C (72%)

-Maybe its the sickness. I did pick up a lot of hours and came back from vacation too. Lots of stress. Didn't do the work. Sometiems this week it was because I was hanging out the whole time, and doing social stuff. Other times I got home at night and just was tired from the day and didnt feel like doing it. Doing work. Doing passions. Remember, your passions give you energy and are a vital component of a well lived life. It takes some effort but its always worth it. 

tumblr_ntlt336Ua71st1w80o1_500.jpg

CHALLENGE TWELVE REVIEW

-Good progress on my new monthly goals section, didn't quite finish it but that's alright. Maybe it was an unrealistic amount of work anyway while balancing learning new stuff and reinforcing old stuff. 

Dream #1: Social skills

Stats: +1 sta, +1 con +2 wis, +1 cha   

25/22= 115% A

Dream #2: Play Guitar in a band

Stats: +0.9 dex, +1.8 wis, +0.9 cha  

19/22= 86% B

Dream #3: Improve Jiu-Jitsu

Stats: +2.3 str, +0.8 dex, +0.8 sta, +0.8 con

17/22= 77% C

tumblr_n2o5793DVi1sl9c0do1_500.jpg

LEVEL UP

Level 13. Adventure Knight. 

str 22.4 dex 14.4 sta 23.8 con 24.3 wis 39.2 cha 29.0