ChrisWithaStick cuts with a blade on a stick.

ChrisWithaStick

Quick place holder for zero week.  Preview:

Suburi will be maintained, and if the weather cooperates, may involve naginata suburi outside, so I can actually swing a blade without knocking things off shelves, knocking over fireplace tools, or putting holes in the ceiling. 

Measurements will be taken.  They may even be recorded.  Metrics baby, yeah. 

Travel plans...they are a happenin'

Weight will be lessened.

Pratchett will be quoted.   

Also - hell dropped a couple of degrees - I actually went for a walk today. 

• Like 3

Human | Plays with Sticks | Monkish Leanings | Rangerish Overtones

Occasionally Updated Facebook

On 3/30/2016 at 7:47 PM, Kishi said:

Maybe, if you got to cut people on your walks...

That might be frowned upon.  Then again, if it's the people that get yanked around by 5 lbs of yap (i.e., tiny dogs) at ass-crack-of-dawn AM, it might be doing the world a favor.  (the people, not the dog - dog behavior problems are the humans' fault, usually). 

5 hours ago, Urgan said:

Lol suburi indoors is definitely a hazard...

There may or may not have been an incident involving a 6' bo, a horizontal, waist level hajiku movement, and fireplace tools.

Otherwise, for suburi indoors - with a bokken, I'm usually in idori. I can't use the naginata at all, but there are some exercises I can do with the bo and not hit the ceiling or floor. 

Minor update for lack of posting - I'm taking advantage of the zero week to regroup a little.  Actual goals and structure to be posted this weekend. 

• Like 1

I'm with you on taking zero week to regroup. I feel good that I have my new challenge posted early for once, instead of a couple days late. I get the impression that most people are continuing to keep their good habits from the last challenge, but with less pressure. Maybe try out something different and see if it is worth keeping.

Level 54  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

14 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I'm with you on taking zero week to regroup. I feel good that I have my new challenge posted early for once, instead of a couple days late. I get the impression that most people are continuing to keep their good habits from the last challenge, but with less pressure. Maybe try out something different and see if it is worth keeping.

Yeah, even with the longer challenges, I tended to use the break weeks to test out new habits for the next challenge.  It's useful to have a little time to roll around ideas.  I used to do that in week 6, but now it's a little quicker.  (I like the shorter challenges, but it can be a slightly quick turnaround if you don't have a challenge ready to go.)

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 3/30/2016 at 10:47 PM, Kishi said:

Maybe, if you got to cut people on your walks...

I mean, why not try walking suburi?  That kinda counts, right?

Man, I need to work on my swordwork....

Subbing to hopefully get motivated to do so more regularly. 

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

6 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

I mean, why not try walking suburi?  That kinda counts, right?

Man, I need to work on my swordwork....

Subbing to hopefully get motivated to do so more regularly. 

Oh yeah - walking suburi counts.  I have a broad definition I suppose.  Suburi to me is controlled cutting practice, mostly with the basic cuts, and working on using the correct muscles, which typically means slow (not always).  Walking would be good though, since cutting mechanics often happens in sync with foot movement.  I kind of think of moving suburi as cutting 102- further mastering of basic movement.  

• Like 1

Well...dammit.  I had a post going, and discovered that firefox has a control key close, or there's a weird Win10 control kill.  I'm not sure what it is, just that I did it.  Sigh...

Whine over...

I'm not going with points this challenge as  I'm somewhat inclined to start using challenges as a guided log.  I may or may not assign some kind of scale - that's up in the air at the moment. Zero week for me was a week of my head out of the challenge space, and I don't have a decision on it. 

Part the 1st - Daily suburi and technique practice.  This is pretty self explanatory, and the habit I find easiest to be consistent with.  Either morning or after work, and outside if weather permits.

Part the 2nd - Weight loss for fun, fitness and LGN (i.e., it's all about the health).

• Food issues - I need to pay attention to my food more. 
    • I don't eat in the morning (makes me slightly ill), but I can work with either whey shakes, or butter coffee (not on the same morning).  Balance my blood sugar a little so I'm less likely to be stupidly hungry by lunch.  It might help me moderate my dinners, too.
    • Smaller lunch portions, and if out, focus on veggies (there's a thai place with great veggie dishes).  I know packing a lunch would be ideal, but that's one straw too many for me at the moment.
    • Moderate dinner portions, and if I'm snackish at night, live with it, or drink some herbal tea.  Btw - in case you didn't know, roasting veggies is dead easy, and damn tasty (asparagus tossed with olive oil and a touch of salt is the current staple).
    • Speaking of tea, no booze at home, social only.  Need to get back to that (typed with glass of wine in hand). 
  • Movement Daily -
    • Part the 1st will help with some of this.
    • Some body weight work once a day - this can be pushups, squats or other. 
    • Stretching - because my body is complaining that I don't. 
    • Dance - I am choosing to afford two lessons a month right now, and practicing at home.  Need to get my ass to a dance about once a week though. 
    • Misc - yard work, house cleaning, dwarf tossing....

Part the 3rd - Metrics - statistics may lie, but numbers are cold, cruel mistresses of truth.

• Weekly weigh in:  I'm currently 5'9, 200 lb, and I'm not a power lifter, which is the reason for Part the 2nd.  I don't have a set goal weight in mind for this challenge, since I'm working on habit mods and want to see how effective they are before tweaking anything.  Overall I'd say 165 as a maintenance weight would not be unreasonable, though, so that's the current 'sometime this summer' type goal.  Anywho - reporting weekly weigh ins only.  I'm not going to worry about daily fluctuations.
  • My current waist is 34 to 36", depending on which pants I'm wearing that fit that day.  This is also not awesome.  Measurement by measuring tape once per week.
  • BF% - I do have a set of calipers, so I might do this, just acknowledging that it's a measure of a trend, not an accurate measurement of percentage.  I figure weigh-in and waist are good overall indicators, so this might not be included.

Part the 4th - SSSSLLLEEEEEEPPPP! (sung out like Kirk screaming at Khan..).   Note to self - really dude, get your ass to bed at a reasonable hour.  It's not that hard.  If you don't fall asleep, recite a mantram. 

I realized the travel portion is outside this challenge.  It will be at the start of the subsequent one though, so I may roll this one twice.  I'll be in Nicaragua for a week in early May, for a cacao production and chocolate conference (we're a damn fancy bakery).  We're exploring some networking options, and also some background research on cacao, and I get to travel for this one.  Should be interesting.  Hot, but interesting.  Part the 2nd features heavily in my potential to enjoy this trip even more. 

Quotes will happen. Stay tuned...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

I know packing a lunch would be ideal, but that's one straw too many for me at the moment.

Not that it exactly takes no time, but I've gotten decently into the habit of while I'm cooking dinner to pack the core components of my lunch while I'm microwaving/waiting for fat to melt in the pan/softening veggies/just before pulling out roasted things to plate.  Takes some time, but it means come the morning your brain doesn't have to do much but reach into the fridge.

Makes my mornings much easier, since all I have to do is drink my coffee and protein shake.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

2 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Not that it exactly takes no time, but I've gotten decently into the habit of while I'm cooking dinner to pack the core components of my lunch while I'm microwaving/waiting for fat to melt in the pan/softening veggies/just before pulling out roasted things to plate.  Takes some time, but it means come the morning your brain doesn't have to do much but reach into the fridge.

When I have busy weeks, I prep a whole week's lunches at a time.  Five takeout containers, split a bag of frozen broccoli between them, make one big batch of stir-fried meat and vegetables when I'm cooking some nigh, maybe some rice in the rice cooker if I'm in a rice mood.  Just do all five at once.  Or if I'm really pushed for time, grab some Trader Joe's frozen chicken, some kind of spice mix, two types of frozen veggie, and a couple of sweet potatoes, and roast the whole bunch while I'm making my actual dinner.  Basically, one night I make two dinners at the same time, which is not a huge amount of extra effort, since I'm already in the kitchen.  Shove some in the fridge and some in the freezer, and grab as needed the rest of the week.

(Takeout containers are super-cheap on Amazon, and I have some square silicon muffin liners that I drop in when I know I'll want to add a small amount of something that I don't want to refrigerate, like nuts or cheese and crackers.  Switching to bento-style lunches made packing lunches so much easier for me.  It made it way, way easier to think about my lunch as swappable components that I could rapidly throw into a container, and it's a much nicer lunch than an apple and baggies of carrot sticks and whatever, which, let's be honest, is a willpower issue when the alternative is eating out.)

14 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

asparagus tossed with olive oil and a touch of salt is the current staple

Roasted asparagus is amazing.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I'm going to be following this pretty closely, as my weight's been creeping up and I need to keep on top of it. Good luck! Your challenge looks great

Cephalopod Dreams

Halfling Monk

Challenges: Level 4 | Academy: Level 10

Str 4 | Dex 4 | Sta 4 | Con 7 | Wis 5 | Cha 2

My Character

I'm aiming for my black belt in Shotokan Karate, training to defeat the monster that is chronic pain.

Battle Log | Current Challenge | Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

21 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Roasted asparagus is amazing.

I have also discovered the joys of roasted cauliflower, and roasted broccoli.  I've liked broccoli for a long time (usually sauteed with a brief steam in the pan at the end), but roasted cauliflower is the only way to eat it, so far as I'm concerned.  :)

Also - you and RP - that's just crazy talk. Pre-planning like that (I am taking notes).

3 hours ago, Cephalopod_Dreams said:

I'm going to be following this pretty closely, as my weight's been creeping up and I need to keep on top of it. Good luck! Your challenge looks great

Thanks!  I think a big part of weight creep for me was creeping activity loss without a concomitant reduction in calories, over the course of several years, coupled with the transition from a standing, active job, to a majority desk job (i.e., big loss of movement in the day).  I may be going back to a more active job in the next few months, but some serious job/career/what is best for the bakery discussions will be happening first.

3 hours ago, courtneyc said:

Did you say bakery? I'm listening...

Also, now all I can think about is the Portlandia sketch.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Well...I'm in Seattle, and really, we're a less hip, more techie version of Portland.  Excepting that we actually have usable street signage (at least those that direct you to major highways).  And cacao is a cool word. 

And yes, bakery.  Plus patisserie, plus lunch items, plus our own chocolates (which I used to make). Surprisingly enough, I don't eat a lot of bakery food these days, outside of a sandwich or slice of pizza for lunch.  I sample a bite of things when they are being designed or about ready for the cases, and take home the occasional loaf of ciabatta or miche (once or twice a month). 

So- on to challenge from Monday -

Part the first - no suburi Monday. 

Part the second - Food - dinner was chicken with broccoli and asparagus, bit of rice.  Lunch was bakery Cuban - smoked pork and ham, swiss, and house made pickles on house soft-baguette (we're pretty traditional, so for those of you that eat wheat, our bread is good).  We only make the soft one for that sandwich.  Our normal baguette is crusty and has a great chew to it.

Part the second - Movement - Dance lesson. A lot of small movement work (hip bump, rib/chest movement and rotation which also works spinal flexion) and some larger movements such as traveling turns, and hip catch/turns (I can do those with set up, but working it into a free movement will be the next lesson).  Overlapped slightly with the next student, who is working both lead and follow (much respect to him - that's a lot of work), and watched part of their warm-up dance.  My teacher is freaking awesome - I don't usually get to see her free-style as a lead, and damn.  

Part the third - No metrics yet.  Will happen today. 

Part the fourth - actually in bed around 11, which is 'hell had a brief, cool breeze' early for me.

Interesting note about dance - I'm finding some psychological resistance to some of it.  To be really good, you have to be willing to take up space - I am not comfortable doing that, and end up feeling very shy at times - and this is a private lesson.  It's not a physical control thing - the movements are fine, and I know my teacher can deal with any bad movement on my end.  So - the odd ways shyness comes out, I guess. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

we're pretty traditional, so for those of you that eat wheat, our bread is good

The greatest irony is that I cannot eat wheat at all ever, and yet I can make a great crusty boule or baguette. *shakes fist at the world*

52 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

roasted cauliflower is the only way to eat it, so far as I'm concerned

It's just about the best.  Roasted Brussels sprouts, too.  And sweet potatoes.

54 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Also - you and RP - that's just crazy talk. Pre-planning like that (I am taking notes).

I'm just sayin', you're up against a bakery Cuban made of smoked pork and ham, swiss, and house-made pickles on house soft-baguette.  Whatever you make had better have lots of pretty colors.  (Smoked pork and home-made pickles?  To beat that, you might even need to break out the panda picks.  Take no prisoners.)

On 4/4/2016 at 11:34 PM, ChrisWithaStick said:

I realized the travel portion is outside this challenge.  It will be at the start of the subsequent one though, so I may roll this one twice.  I'll be in Nicaragua for a week in early May, for a cacao production and chocolate conference (we're a damn fancy bakery).  We're exploring some networking options, and also some background research on cacao, and I get to travel for this one.  Should be interesting.  Hot, but interesting.  Part the 2nd features heavily in my potential to enjoy this trip even more. 

The professional cacao conference in Mexico sounds amazing!  I've mostly switched to eating cacao nibs instead of chocolate at work. It takes care of my chocolate addiction without the sugar. I am looking forward to your trip report.

How cool that you work at a fancy bakery! And how dangerous for maintaining your weight. Part of my strategy for limiting sweets is only eating things I make myself or treats from a fancy bakery. That clearly won't work for you.

2 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

And yes, bakery.  Plus patisserie, plus lunch items, plus our own chocolates (which I used to make). Surprisingly enough, I don't eat a lot of bakery food these days, outside of a sandwich or slice of pizza for lunch.  I sample a bite of things when they are being designed or about ready for the cases, and take home the occasional loaf of ciabatta or miche (once or twice a month). 

Interesting note about dance - I'm finding some psychological resistance to some of it.  To be really good, you have to be willing to take up space - I am not comfortable doing that, and end up feeling very shy at times - and this is a private lesson.  It's not a physical control thing - the movements are fine, and I know my teacher can deal with any bad movement on my end.  So - the odd ways shyness comes out, I guess. 

Interesting observation. Do you feel the same way when dancing with non-professionals? Do you get any of the same feeling when doing sword work?

I would guess that swinging a sword would give you mental permission to take up space, but maybe that's just me.

Level 54  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

6 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

The greatest irony is that I cannot eat wheat at all ever, and yet I can make a great crusty boule or baguette. *shakes fist at the world*

Celiac?  How'd you learn to make a great, crusty loaf if you can't eat it, or did that develop after? 

6 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I'm just sayin', you're up against a bakery Cuban made of smoked pork and ham, swiss, and house-made pickles on house soft-baguette.  Whatever you make had better have lots of pretty colors.  (Smoked pork and home-made pickles?  To beat that, you might even need to break out the panda picks.  Take no prisoners.)

I have employees and friends that would kill for those picks.  The bento website is interesting.  Take a lot of inspiration from there?  The other good thing with work is we get a heck of a staff discount on meals at work.  Still, hard to get enough veggies in the day. 

4 hours ago, Mistr said:

How cool that you work at a fancy bakery! And how dangerous for maintaining your weight. Part of my strategy for limiting sweets is only eating things I make myself or treats from a fancy bakery. That clearly won't work for you.

You'd be surprised.  After a while, it's just food.  Good food, to be sure, but still, just food.  Also - production work can be very, very active.  There aren't actually a lot of overweight bakers that I've come across.  Bad backs and creaky knees though.  Still, it's fun to be able to bring a damn good cake to a party....

4 hours ago, Mistr said:

Interesting observation. Do you feel the same way when dancing with non-professionals? Do you get any of the same feeling when doing sword work?

I would guess that swinging a sword would give you mental permission to take up space, but maybe that's just me.

I can get a little self-conscious at parties/dances.  However, it's not quite the same reaction as when also working on something in particular with my teacher, especially if we're using the wall mirror to look at the body movement.  There may be some other things going on too, like I feel kind of like a dork figuring out how to move my arms at times, or working on hip movements, even with no good reason to feel that way.  Apparently I move pretty well. 

For sword work - not so much.  Usual public speaking type fears for large demos, but for class work, no, even when I can see myself in door/window reflections.  Then again, someone trying to hit you at the same time puts you in a slightly different frame of mind.

1 hour ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Celiac?  How'd you learn to make a great, crusty loaf if you can't eat it, or did that develop after? 

Celiac.  I baked some in high school before it showed up, but my really good bread recipe I learned after that, baking for other people.  I've never tasted it myself, though I do kind of hover and smell it for a while.  And gaze at it sadly.  The Unknown Loaf, eternally beyond my grasp.

The bento website is interesting.  Take a lot of inspiration from there?  The other good thing with work is we get a heck of a staff discount on meals at work.  Still, hard to get enough veggies in the day. 

I don't really follow any bento websites, no, though I did a little research when I started.  (Just Bento is pretty useful for basic, practical how-its-done, and isn't about the cutesy Pokemon lunches.)  It was mostly because of the celiac thing.  Packing a lunch in a sandwich culture when you're celiac is depressing, and buying a lunch isn't a whole lot better.  (Seriously, I was living off of apples, carrot sticks, cheese, and almonds in little plastic baggies every day, AND JUST KILL ME NOW.  Or the same crappy food truck lunch with way too much rice and a hint of limp salad.)  So I figured I'd switch to a non-sandwich lunch-packing culture that was really well-suited to gluten-free food and start packing something less depressing.  It made it a lot easier to take mostly-paleo-ish lunches with a lot of variety, and made me a lot less grouchy about packing my lunch.  And as a bonus, it's incredibly compact in my bag, so I saved a lot of space when I was carrying all my stuff for a twelve-hour day.  It gets very quick to pack them, you start to think about your lunch as a modular  puzzle with standard pieces, and suddenly you have a lunch made out of what looked like small bits of nothing in the fridge.

Hard to beat a staff discount on good food.  If it's just a question of rebalancing your meal nutritionally and getting all your veggies in, you might consider packing a big fancy salad to go with it, and splitting the sandwich over two days if it's too much food.  (Or not, if you're burning it.  I mean, why should you give up a good Cuban?)  Salads can be made several days in advance if you separate out the ingredients strategically.  It's a moisture-management problem while they're stored, basically, but if it'll keep in the fridge for a week anyway, it might as well keep in the fridge in a lunch container.  Three days is easy, and a full week is doable.  I've done "make seven salads at once and store them all in the fridge".  Sometimes days six and seven are pushing it a little on leaf freshness, but a week is a long time for salad leaves in the fridge.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I don't really follow any bento websites, no, though I did a little research when I started.  (Just Bento is pretty useful for basic, practical how-its-done, and isn't about the cutesy Pokemon lunches.)  It was mostly because of the celiac thing.  Packing a lunch in a sandwich culture when you're celiac is depressing, and buying a lunch isn't a whole lot better.  (Seriously, I was living off of apples, carrot sticks, cheese, and almonds in little plastic baggies every day, AND JUST KILL ME NOW.  Or the same crappy food truck lunch with way too much rice and a hint of limp salad.)  So I figured I'd switch to a non-sandwich lunch-packing culture that was really well-suited to gluten-free food and start packing something less depressing.  It made it a lot easier to take mostly-paleo-ish lunches with a lot of variety, and made me a lot less grouchy about packing my lunch.  And as a bonus, it's incredibly compact in my bag, so I saved a lot of space when I was carrying all my stuff for a twelve-hour day.  It gets very quick to pack them, you start to think about your lunch as a modular  puzzle with standard pieces, and suddenly you have a lunch made out of what looked like small bits of nothing in the fridge.

I know your pain! I will be checking out Just Bento today. I'm not celiac but bread makes me ill, and trying to pack a lunch without it sometimes seems impossible. Thanks for the great resources :) 

Cephalopod Dreams

Halfling Monk

My Character

I'm aiming for my black belt in Shotokan Karate, training to defeat the monster that is chronic pain.

6 hours ago, Cephalopod_Dreams said:

I know your pain! I will be checking out Just Bento today. I'm not celiac but bread makes me ill, and trying to pack a lunch without it sometimes seems impossible. Thanks for the great resources :) 

There are some nice sites with pretty pictures out there, some that are way over the top, some that are plain old regular lunches to take to college or the office.  (Just Bento has a Flickr group, for instance.)  They're fun to look at once in a while, especially when you're starting and can't figure out what to take, or how to pack it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

There are some nice sites with pretty pictures out there, some that are way over the top, some that are plain old regular lunches to take to college or the office.  (Just Bento has a Flickr group, for instance.)  They're fun to look at once in a while, especially when you're starting and can't figure out what to take, or how to pack it.

I was eating dinner while looking at Just Bento, and I'm still hungry...I do like how they use colorful veggies.  Actually- the side recipes look like great components for a dinner.  I really don't know a lot about Japanese home cooking, but do recall an ex always being able to make something tasty, fast. 

It's kind of late so quick report for today and Tuesday:

Part the First - Short set of suburi Tuesday night.  Ended up with 125 swings on the bokken, and I don't know with a bo.  Tonight was training.

Part the Second - Food - enh... Tuesday was so so.  Let's just say I could have done better.  I did have aah beer, but that was to celebrate the doing of taxes, getting a $6 refund (woo!  money!), and getting rid of the last beer in the fridge.  Today was better food wise - more veggies at least.  I'm out of asparagus now though, darn it. 

Part the Second - Movement - Suburi yesterday also included a round of stretching and body movement and a short set of kettle bell deadlifts for fun (I have two 50lb bells I got on a great closeout sale last year I think).  Today was training, some stretching, and some practice dancing.  My hips are complaining a little since right now I'm working on hip bumps/tilts. Ah, movement.

Part the Third - grumble grumble grumble Weight comes in at 198 (no magic 2lbs gone, I was aware that I was approximately 200 lbs - 198 is the 1st real measure since my last dr visit a few weeks ago).  So - I'm starting where I thought I was.

Damn measuring tape is evil though.  It does not agree with the waist measurement of my jeans (36" need a tight belt to stay on), instead declaring near 40!  That's not wizard territory, but damn....

Part the 4th - Tuesday, fail.  Got wrapped up in finishing Snuff (the last book featuring Vimes).  It's the second time I've read it, and again it strikes me that is was a goodbye, in a way, to Vimes and the watch, and leaving the characters in a good place.  It was a struggle to get into it the first time, due to the change in tone and language, but still, a very good book. Tonight remains to be seen.  Shooting for midnight. 

The weekend might be hit and miss for getting back to the thread - GF's birthday dinner tomorrow night, going to a show Friday, having a potluck social at my house Saturday...busy end to the week for me! 

Part the 4th - Tuesday, fail.  Got wrapped up in finishing Snuff (the last book featuring Vimes).  It's the second time I've read it, and again it strikes me that is was a goodbye, in a way, to Vimes and the watch, and leaving the characters in a good place.  It was a struggle to get into it the first time, due to the change in tone and language, but still, a very good book. Tonight remains to be seen.  Shooting for midnight. 

Snuff was a bittersweet book for me. Seeing the change in Pratchett's writing was heartbreaking, but it was clear he was trying to wrap up that story and leave it in a good place. Have you read Raising Steam? I enjoyed seeing how things worked out for the goblins. 

Cephalopod Dreams

Halfling Monk

My Character

7 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Got wrapped up in finishing Snuff (the last book featuring Vimes).  It's the second time I've read it, and again it strikes me that is was a goodbye, in a way, to Vimes and the watch, and leaving the characters in a good place.  It was a struggle to get into it the first time, due to the change in tone and language, but still, a very good book.

6 hours ago, Cephalopod_Dreams said:

Snuff was a bittersweet book for me. Seeing the change in Pratchett's writing was heartbreaking, but it was clear he was trying to wrap up that story and leave it in a good place. Have you read Raising Steam?

I haven't read Snuff yet, but I have done Raising Steam.  It read like a roughed-in early draft or outline more than a finished book, as though he started really rushing out those last books to get them finished in time and wrap up loose ends.  Like you're describing Snuff, it seems like he was trying very hard to say goodbye to all the characters, give them a little moment in the sun, and leave them in a good place. Raising Steam came out the year he started pulling out of public appearances for his health, so I sort of assume they knew even before then that there was limited time left.

I can't be too sad about that, because I understand why they are what they are, and bless him for going out as he came in, loudly saying everything he had to say.  Those last few books were clearly produced under difficult circumstances.  But it's a damn shame, because the books before that, even after he was ill, are some of the best, IMO.  Unseen Academicals and Making Money are brilliant books.  They're blunt and funny and relaxed, and incredibly well-structured, and they wear their hearts on their sleeves with great style.  Unseen Academicals in particular.  It's so packed with theme and message that it's hard to unpack it all.

Following cuz that's what I do.

I hear you about the weight loss. We are pretty similar in size, although you're a couple of inches taller (I'm 5'7) and I topped out at 193, but proportionally I think we're the same. I was able to get down to 175 a couple of weeks ago (starting in January) but I have put like 7 lbs on in the last couple of weeks, boo. But progress can be made, it just may not always be linear. 

Nicaragua! I love to surf (although I am stuck in Boston now FML) and that is the spot. Very jealous. 

Keep it rocking.

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. - Calvin Coolidge (OG MOTIVATOR)

CURRENT CHALLENGE

8 hours ago, Cephalopod_Dreams said:

Snuff was a bittersweet book for me. Seeing the change in Pratchett's writing was heartbreaking, but it was clear he was trying to wrap up that story and leave it in a good place. Have you read Raising Steam? I enjoyed seeing how things worked out for the goblins. 

I have Raising Steam. It has been hard to read it because of the structure.  Sometimes I have to take a good run up at a book before the gears flip, and I can get into it.  I agree with SaraKingdom that it's amazing he got the wrap-ups out that he did, and that some of his best books were in his decline years. 

Have either of you read Nation, by him?  That is an excellent book. 

30 minutes ago, 'BoutThatActionBoss said:

Following cuz that's what I do.

I hear you about the weight loss. We are pretty similar in size, although you're a couple of inches taller (I'm 5'7) and I topped out at 193, but proportionally I think we're the same. I was able to get down to 175 a couple of weeks ago (starting in January) but I have put like 7 lbs on in the last couple of weeks, boo. But progress can be made, it just may not always be linear. 

Nicaragua! I love to surf (although I am stuck in Boston now FML) and that is the spot. Very jealous. 

Keep it rocking.

It's amazing how fast it can come back on.  I'm just finally really taking stock, instead of the vague 'I need to be in better shape'.  So, starting point.  I have a few choice words for my 33 year old self....

Surfing...not something I've ever tried.  I see a fair amount of paddle boarding around here - not quite the same, but getting out on the water always sounds appealing to me.