ChrisWithaStick cuts with a blade on a stick.

ChrisWithaStick

I like she goes from straight sword, to single, then double sabre, to long knife.  I think it'd be interesting to hunt down some explanation as to how the dance relates to the actual combative art, assuming it still does.  Reading through the comments to see if there was any information, saw a couple of the commentators note that she's not doing a Cossack dance, but Circassian? 

I think I recognise more than a few poi moves in that dance :) I'm feeling inspired to go home and see how that might work. 

Cephalopod Dreams

Halfling Monk

Challenges: Level 4 | Academy: Level 10

Str 4 | Dex 4 | Sta 4 | Con 7 | Wis 5 | Cha 2

My Character

I'm aiming for my black belt in Shotokan Karate, training to defeat the monster that is chronic pain.

Battle Log | Current Challenge | Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

How's the sleep and nutrition going? I am not doing good with either of them myself lately! Good to see you moving and practicing everything! 

They are hit and miss- about like my upkeep on this page the last week.  Some day, I aspire to be a third as disciplined as Urgan.  :P  Heck, I'd settle for a quarter.   

Food isn't too bad - I'm cooking more often than not, and pared down lunch a lot (just sandwich at work, not going out - not as good a taking lunch, but better than the alternative).

Sleep - we shall not speak of sleep until I actually, you know, have a good habit going. It's really a 'don't be a dumbass' thing on me at this point - can't blame any external factors at all.

Mr. Tulip raised a trembling hand. "Is this the bit where my whole life passes in front of my eyes?" he said.

NO, THAT WAS THE BIT JUST NOW.

"Which bit?"

THE BIT, said Death, BETWEEN YOU BEING BORN AND YOU DYING.  NO, THIS...MR. TUPLIP, THIS IS YOUR WHOLE LIFE AS IT PASSED BEFORE OTHER PEOPLES' EYES....

A slightly somber quote for today, and an appearance from one of the more unique versions of Death out there (I sincerely hope that if there is a 'Death' that Pratchett was channeling accurately). I can't recall if I've used it before, but some RL things have me contemplating it again (no immediate issues causing the contemplation - it was instigated from a discussion). 

Meanwhile - let's see....for feeling confident about suburi being the easiest thing to do, I'm really slacking.  Since it's a morning practice for me, that sleep thing has had a really bad impact. 

I have been making classes though, and let me tell you, spear is NOT my friend.  Got severely run over Wednesday night.  I'm having to think about it a little - partly I don't think I'm executing the deflection properly, which means uke is able to recover easy (i.e., damn fast, and take a big step in - and spear is already a fast weapon).  I'm also wondering if at speed, uke is 'cheating' a little by knowing what's being done (throwing jabs instead of punches since you know they are going to be blocked may be an analogy).  Even if so, doing the deflections correctly would go a LONG way to not getting run over.  Still...twas not my friend at all on Wednesday night.  And now I know a technique I can be practicing until I'm sick of it, and then some more (it's actually quite an important one, soo...). 

Part the first - Suburi - see above.

Part the second - food - see above. 

Part the second - movement - decent, actually.  Several walks have happened.  Couple of walks with the girlfriend, and I'm dog sitting this weekend, so a couple of more.  Smidgen of dancing in the living room, working on steps and body movement.   class as noted. 

Part the third - metrics - it's a Tuesday thing (just how it happened), but...checked weight, and it's holding steady, which makes sense.  I haven't increased movement or intensity enough really, to have a larger impact.  Going back to food - while I"m cooking more, I could possibly cut back carbs - I'm not hugely into paleo, but it could be an experiment. 

Part the fourth - sleep - bah!

• Like 2

Human | Plays with Sticks | Monkish Leanings | Rangerish Overtones

Occasionally Updated Facebook

They are hit and miss- about like my upkeep on this page the last week.  Some day, I aspire to be a third as disciplined as Urgan.  :P  Heck, I'd settle for a quarter.   

Food isn't too bad - I'm cooking more often than not, and pared down lunch a lot (just sandwich at work, not going out - not as good a taking lunch, but better than the alternative).

Sleep - we shall not speak of sleep until I actually, you know, have a good habit going. It's really a 'don't be a dumbass' thing on me at this point - can't blame any external factors at all.

Mr. Tulip raised a trembling hand. "Is this the bit where my whole life passes in front of my eyes?" he said.

NO, THAT WAS THE BIT JUST NOW.

"Which bit?"

THE BIT, said Death, BETWEEN YOU BEING BORN AND YOU DYING.  NO, THIS...MR. TUPLIP, THIS IS YOUR WHOLE LIFE AS IT PASSED BEFORE OTHER PEOPLES' EYES....

A slightly somber quote for today, and an appearance from one of the more unique versions of Death out there (I sincerely hope that if there is a 'Death' that Pratchett was channeling accurately). I can't recall if I've used it before, but some RL things have me contemplating it again (no immediate issues causing the contemplation - it was instigated from a discussion). 

Meanwhile - let's see....for feeling confident about suburi being the easiest thing to do, I'm really slacking.  Since it's a morning practice for me, that sleep thing has had a really bad impact. 

I have been making classes though, and let me tell you, spear is NOT my friend.  Got severely run over Wednesday night.  I'm having to think about it a little - partly I don't think I'm executing the deflection properly, which means uke is able to recover easy (i.e., damn fast, and take a big step in - and spear is already a fast weapon).  I'm also wondering if at speed, uke is 'cheating' a little by knowing what's being done (throwing jabs instead of punches since you know they are going to be blocked may be an analogy).  Even if so, doing the deflections correctly would go a LONG way to not getting run over.  Still...twas not my friend at all on Wednesday night.  And now I know a technique I can be practicing until I'm sick of it, and then some more (it's actually quite an important one, soo...). 

Part the first - Suburi - see above.

Part the second - food - see above. 

Part the second - movement - decent, actually.  Several walks have happened.  Couple of walks with the girlfriend, and I'm dog sitting this weekend, so a couple of more.  Smidgen of dancing in the living room, working on steps and body movement.   class as noted. 

Part the third - metrics - it's a Tuesday thing (just how it happened), but...checked weight, and it's holding steady, which makes sense.  I haven't increased movement or intensity enough really, to have a larger impact.  Going back to food - while I"m cooking more, I could possibly cut back carbs - I'm not hugely into paleo, but it could be an experiment. 

Part the fourth - sleep - bah!

Sorry to hear that sleep has been tough. It comes and goes for me as well. There are stretches where I am so ridiculously tired because I don't go to bed until 3 am on a work night. It isn't awesome. It sounds like you are making nice headway on your food. I need to stop eating out at lunch so much myself. I used to be great about this, but have slacked a bit in recent months. Maybe I could do a hybrid thing where I can go and get vegetables only or something. 

Keep it going. 

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. - Calvin Coolidge (OG MOTIVATOR)

CURRENT CHALLENGE

D00d, given my performance on sleep these last few days, does not bode well! Lol. The eternal struggle to adult...

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

Sorry to hear that sleep has been tough. It comes and goes for me as well. There are stretches where I am so ridiculously tired because I don't go to bed until 3 am on a work night. It isn't awesome. It sounds like you are making nice headway on your food. I need to stop eating out at lunch so much myself. I used to be great about this, but have slacked a bit in recent months. Maybe I could do a hybrid thing where I can go and get vegetables only or something. 

Keep it going. 

The food thing is working, luckily.  The sleep thing- as it is.  It's really just me getting distracted easily, or not making myself go to bed. 

D00d, given my performance on sleep these last few days, does not bode well! Lol. The eternal struggle to adult...

Oh- I'd just love to have your daily practice, or the drive to hammer myself with a lacrosse ball. :)

Yep, sleep is tough. Especially going to bed on time when you are already too tired to make good choices.

Just for tonight, let's resolve to go to bed early and do our practice in the morning, okay?

sounds like a plan.

"You know I'm no good at diplomatic talk," [Vimes] said.

"On the contrary, Vimes, you appear to have amazed the diplomatic corps, they're not used to plain speech.   It confuses them."

Sometimes, there is value in being blunt.  Some of my most cathartic moments at work are when I can tell a cold call a blunt truth, and they are left a bit legless in their spiel. 

Part the 1st - Suburi.  Yes for Monday morning, no for today.

Part the 2nd - Food - still cooking.  Pre cooked a lot of rice so I can have small portions for quick meals in the week.  Canned fish (in this case decent quality tuna) is my friend, along with veggies.  Fast, easy to throw together.  Vary the flavor with spices.

Part the 2nd - Movement - Dance lesson yesterday.  Good class, but a some quick steps in closed made my hip tired, for some reason (blues tends to be down in the knees and hips - I'm not dropping super low, but still, found some muscles that need some work). 

Part the 3rd.  - Damn sleep - I forgot this morning.  Will check later. 

Part the 4th... bah!  again. 

• Like 2

Oh- I'd just love to have your daily practice, or the drive to hammer myself with a lacrosse ball. :) 

Ah, well that's different in that there is some actual success to my name there, lol. The lacrosse ball thing is "motivated" by the close proximity to varying degrees of pain should I decide to slack off lately. Is there such a thing as mobility debt? You know, like sleep debt but with muscle tension? 

TUNA.

Hip flexors giving you grief? A lacrosse ball between you and a free wall surface will do wonders if you're gunshy of applying full bodyweight.

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

"Look down, Your Grace," said Skimmer. "Mhm, mhm."

Vimes realized he could feel the faintest prick of the knife blade on his stomach.

"Look down farther," he said.

Inigo looked down. He swallowed.  Vimes had a knife, too.

"You really are no gentleman, then," he said.

"Make a sudden move, and neither are you," said Vimes.  "And now it appears that we have reached what Sergeant Colon persists in referring to as an imp arse."

Let's see -

Sleep happened a little earlier.  So...draggy day.  I did get some upper body stretching and light suburi in.  I'm working on a couple of things that work best using the naginata, so, also get to practice spatial awareness (i.e., I did not knock over the fireplace tools...not that such things have ever really happened....).  I really should just practice outside...

Part the 1st - Suburi - long weapon this morning.

Part the 2nd - Food - small dinner tonight - mostly fish and rice.  It turns out that boneless, skinless sardines are a better place to start for me.  Granted, they kind of smell like cat food, but they taste decent- not much stronger than tuna.  Small lunch as well, so low veggies, low cal count today.

Part the 2nd - Moving - class called off tonight, and I'm just draggy and feeling it (lots of colds going around, and some weird coughing thing - I choose to believe the draggy part is just needing to get to bed), so outside of suburi and stretching, not much.

Part the 3rd - Crap. I forgot this morning.  I like to weigh on an empty stomach and just before I get dressed for work so I have a consistent reference point. 

Part the 4th - Sleep - <.<    >.>   o.0

Looking forward.  If next week is zero week, I'll be out of the area for week one, and probably off the forums completely while I'm traveling.  I may sit the next one out, or convert to a battle log.  I've got a couple of ideas for actually, you know, training, but really, I just need a consistent practice, and I'm kind of at the point of wanting to start grinding out the repetitions of certain things, but don't have specific goals for a challenge. 

I shall ponder.  And blame Urgan for reminding me about that option.  ;)  (I do read other threads, I just don't comment much)

• Like 1

I love Inigo Skimmer.

How much of the next challenge are you travelling for?

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

15 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I love Inigo Skimmer.

How much of the next challenge are you travelling for?

the first week. 8th- 15th. And Inigo is one of my favorite side characters, along with Ahmed.

shouldn't you be in bed? :) its after 10 here on the left coast.

10 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

the first week. 8th- 15th. And Inigo is one of my favorite side characters, along with Ahmed.

So that's not too bad, just pick up afterwards.

It's a shame we didn't get more Inigo.

14 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

shouldn't you be in bed? :) its after 10 here on the left coast.

Yes.  Yes, I definitely should.  But I'm going to work out tonight if it kills me. :)

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

8 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

So that's not too bad, just pick up afterwards.

It's a shame we didn't get more Inigo.

Yes.  Yes, I definitely should.  But I'm going to work out tonight if it kills me. :)

it's not a bad delay. Not sure of specific goals yet. I've got a bit of time to ponder. And I agree about Inigo.

what are you contemplating for a work out?

1 hour ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

I shall ponder.

4 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

I've got a bit of time to ponder.

So that's your next challenge theme, is it?  Ponder? :) 

rocket_wizard-5761.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

OMG.

you actually got me to type omg. You win the internets, again.

one wizard to rule them all. Or at least do all the work.

You see how I could not let that one pass.  Not with a Ponder Stibbons challenge in the making.

21 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Now I have thoughts of Stibbons quotes. He did have a meandering arc. Hmmm.

I really hope there are Out of Cheese and Divide By Cucumber errors.

5 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

I may even have to quote a book on industrial chocolate (just the cool stuff, like crystal morphology in cocoa butter)

I cannot think of anything more suitably wizardy, to be honest.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

I may even have to quote a book on industrial chocolate (just the cool stuff, like crystal morphology in cocoa butter)

plz?

To wrap up -

Vimes hung on [the side of the coach], speechless.  Would he have dared to do that?  But that was Carrot all over. There was a problem, and now it's gone.  Admittedly, the whole city is probably solid with wagons by now, but that's a new problem.

He'd be home in time.  Would a minute have mattered?  .....  No excuses.  He'd promised himself that.  No excuses.  No excuses at all.  Once you had a good excuse, you opened the door to bad excuses.

He had nightmares about being too late.

Vimes quotes can be hard - first, they can lead to spoilers (a word which is forever said in the voice of River Song in my head now).  Second - there are so damn many to choose from!

However - this one seemed an appropriate quote to end this particular challenge on. 

Part the 1st - damn.  C+ at best.  buggerit.  I didn't get to daily practice, but I did get some suburi in. About the same volume as previous.

Part the 2nd - food - B+ - Was much better at cooking in the week, and found that pre-cooking a lot of rice made for some quick meals, and I portion controlled better.

Part the 2nd - movement - Also a C - got a bit more walking in, and some dance lessons, as well as a little more daily movement.  Not awesome though.  Just a slight improvement over baseline, which means holding pattern (more on that).

Part the 3rd - measurements - no real changes.  Down a pound, up a pound - I'd hazard water weight. Waist is largely unchanged.  This was more of an N/A kind of thing, as I just wanted to start tracking.  Once a week seems to make sense.  Next step is to put it in a logbook/excel sheet.

Part the 4th - sleep.  F.  I mean, seriously, total fail. 

Lessons:

I'm a creature of habit, and they are boring ones, and largely holding patterns. 

I'm in holding patterns across a lot of my life, personal and professional (professional gets weird since I work with family).  Relating to the quote - I can see how I have a fair amount of excuses in those different patterns.

So - what to do?  That's part of the pondering.  I can see the habits and patterns, but apparently I'm not quite motivated enough to break them.  Then again - that's another pattern I know I have.  Things change when I get frustrated enough with myself or others.  It's not the healthiest way to do things, but when it happens, things get done, and mostly for the better.

Anywho- it's a pretty harsh grading, but I'm not actually upset.  Some good came out of the last few weeks, particularly with respect to my dance lessons, and a few key 'ah hahs' with the naginat.  But yeah...need to get rid of the excuses.

I'm not sure how much I'll be posting for zero week - I have some prep to do for traveling, and then the traveling itself.  Afterwards though, chocolate will be discussed, and things of wizardly nature will be pondered.  And maybe a few patterns will be altered. 

Holding patterns, even when they're not too bad, are so frustrating.  You do have a lot on your plate, and maybe simplifying a bit would help.  Split the thaum into it constituent resons.

With the suburi, I assume you have a baseline of 3-4 days a week and are trying to push it up to 7?  Maybe break even that down a little, and make the goal on the extra 3-4 days just one cut, and make yourself stop.  It seems ridiculous.  But it's so little that getting the bokken out is a lot less hard, and that's what you're training yourself to do.  Just kaizen the heck out of that increase if you need to.

So far as the food goes, how about just working on one of the three meals to start with?  If the breakfast shakes aren't happening, do those for a challenge.  If they are, move on to lunch.  Redoing everything at once is kind of a lot to think about.

Same with movement, I think.  You're committed to some suburi and some dance, which is not a bad baseline.  Maybe pick one day to do some yoga or stretching to help with that.  I mean, more eventually, sure, but once is better than none.  More walking, I don't know, maybe there's a way to build it in to your day or make it a scheduled couple thing, but for this challenge, only worry about it if you can do it without having to think about it.  Just think about less.

Sleep, man, I don't know, it's a mystery.  What's the big sleep problem, going to bed too late?

The sleep thing is I just need to be an adult and go to bed - I start reading or looking at articles online, and it just goes.  I am consistently running low on it, and it's starting to tell. 

For the suburi - I'm trying to make it consistent.  I seem to be hitting about 3 days a week, mild intensity.  300-500 cuts a week is much better than zero. 

The food I've actually been the most pleased about.  Lunches are more under control, and dinners worked.   Breakfast is still a no-go on weekdays, but really have to be awake and up to put anything in my stomach but coffee. 

For the rest - it feels like it's a manageable amount.  I'm not stressed for time, and really, I don't have external factors to mess things around like kids or pets.  Relationship with my gf is in a good place...so. 

I dunno.  I kind of feel like I'm at an inflection point.  Just need to get on the other side. I think the trip will be a good thing, as it will take me way out of my normal routine, and way out of my own comfort zone (including literally - it's going to be over 90 F, consistently, and regardless of all the whining about it being hot here last summer, I've not be in that kind of heat for over a decade...).  Should be nice for my joints though...warm....

So- possibly a good reset point. 

I'm kind of excited to be looking at the wizards - there's a lot of fun humor in their story-lines. 

The wizards are the best.  Well, one of the many best.  I might need to do a Ridcully challenge one day.  I aspire to being Ridcully.

If you're good with where you are on suburi, yeah, maybe just make the goal to hold steady.  Every day is great for habit-building, but I find it's a tough stretch to hit every day, and maybe it's not as necessary as I think.

If you've got two out of three on the meals, that's pretty good.  I don't know how far work is for you, but maybe throw a shake into a shake bottle and drink it late in the commute or early at work, if the shake helps you.  Otherwise, heck, stick with coffee.  No harm done, if that works.

Which are the habits and patterns you really feel the need to break?  (I find that super-tough in challenges like yours, where everything is basically okay but nothing feels like you've made a big change or quite hit what you set out to hit, but nothing's really wrong either.  So I'm wondering what's pinging you as the big thing.)

Sleep is impossible.  No one can adult enough for sleep, I don't believe it.

See...I don't think the challenge should have been a huge deal.  I want it all, and I want it yesterday, and it's easy, right?  (mild irony in that my gf and I had a talk about something like this in her life right now...).

Gah.  I might have to do a real long term goals break down.

As for the wizards - a Ridcully 4wc would be awesome.  You'd get to be obdurate, loud, very sure of things even if very wrong, hard headed enough to confuse people, charming, effective, brave, and somewhat decent with a crossbow....or at least yelling 'duck!'.  The question is, do you have a bursar to yell at?  Oh- and rowing.  He lettered in rowing, didn't he?