• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rurik Harrgath

Westeros Gonna Ranger: The Official Mini-Challenge

Welcome to the Ranger Mini-Challenge for April 4th to April 30th.  Participation is entirely voluntary, this mini-challenge has only as much impact on your challenge as you decide, and no character levels or attribute points are assigned as a result of completing the goals here.  Even if you aren't a Game of Thrones fan (and you should be because the next Season airs later this month!), I beg your patience and ask that you participate in whatever capacity as you wish.  Perhaps you can follow the spirit of the challenge if not the theme.  Thank you.

THE RULES

All participants will select one of two Game of Thrones noble houses to owe their allegiance to per week.  Of these combinations of Houses, one will be selected each week and these two houses will go Head-to-Head in a friendly rivalry that is a far mimicry from the television show and story plot.  The victory will be determined solely by completion of declared goals among each House’s participants, which shall be tallied at week's end (Sunday).

The first battle between Houses will begin on April 4th but will be announced the weekend before.

Some of the options below might match your current challenge goals.  Should that be the case, I ask that attempt to select four new goals that go above and beyond your challenge.  These are but mere examples I have suggested to point you in the right direction.  As I have related different themes amongst the noble Houses of Westeros for each pairing, and few themes are repeated week to week, you are more than welcome to stretch out and experiment with various feats throughout the mini-challenge even if I have not suggested an example or is not thematically relevant.

Remember this is altogether an optional and additional mini-challenge running alongside your personal challenge.  Step out of your comfort zone if you wish or keep your mini-challenge objectives in line with your current challenge goals.  It’s entirely up to you!

1fa13fff0a5ce71d818edecf0ffee154.jpg

1. Stark:  As stoic and cold as Northern steel, bannermen of House Stark might select goals along the lines of cold showers, outdoors activity, practicing survival skills or foraging, and hiking outdoors to visit the far reaches of the North they lord over.

Lannister:  Fearless and bold, the Lannisters are known for their wealth and power.  With words like ‘Hear Me Roar’ and an unofficial House motto claiming ‘A Lannister Always Pays His Debts,’ their goals would be along the lines of financial management, bettering their standing and advancing through personal competition, heart-racing workouts, and displays of prowess.

1. Baratheon:  With the words ‘Ours is the Fury,’ the Baratheons are a force to be reckoned with.  Though proud, House Baratheon is renowned for their might in battle, appropriate goals for such a noble House could be weightlifting, bodyweight challenges, or martial arts.

Targaryen:  An enigmatic and ancient noble House, the Targaryens hail from Old Valyria and were known as the Dragonlords of Westeros.  Bannermen dedicated to these ancient lords might consider deep-minded pursuits like gamification and managing their busy schedule to be worthwhile pursuits, or they might focus on the Fire part of their words ‘Fire & Blood’ through intense HIIT workouts, sprints and CrossFit-style WODs.

1. Tully:  Like the rivers they lord over, House Tully are fluid like water, always prepared for whatever comes their way.  Though their sigil is that of a trout over water, they claim the crimson in their banner of red over blue represents the blood shed in the many wars they have partaken of.  Never underestimate House Tully, for they value water above all; swimming goals, flowing Yoga sessions, water consumption, or limiting alcohol and/or soda would be fitting tributes to this noble House.

Greyjoy:  Not unlike House Tully, the Greyjoys consider themselves lords of the tides, but unlike the landlocked Tullys, the Greyjoys are rigid and indomitable like iron.  A worthy Ironborn might seek out goals such as rock-climbing, rucking, or particularly arduous feats of strength and conditioning, and would always pay the Iron Price before that of gold.

1. Martell:  The most infamous member of this noble House in recent years if Oberyn Martell.  A peerless warrior of flamboyant skill, he is known for his speed and agility, and skill with a spear.  Yoga and balancing, dynamic stretching routines, attempting a speed PR, or aspects of GMB Fitness and Mobility WOD might be the goals of a warrior of House Martell.

Tyrell:  Famous for their bountiful harvests and considered the breadbasket of Westeros, the Tyrells are represented by a blossoming rose.  Seek out goals featuring activities such as gardening, a picnic or BBQ, trail running, hiking, or camping; any activities that would get your outside and enjoying nature would fit here.

61X5sqwMt9L._SX522_.jpg 

TRACKING SPREADSHEET: Westeros Gonna Ranger Spreadsheet

EXAMPLE WEEK

Weekly Houses:  House Clegane versus House Mormont.

House Clegane members:  Five (5).

House Mormont members:  Eight (8). 

House Clegane bannermen collectively completed 88% of their goals.

Those sworn to House Mormont finished only 65% of their declared goals.

House Clegane triumphs over House Mormont to claim victory this week!

• Like 2

This week features the showdown of stag against dragon,

Of might versus majesty,

The fury of the Stormlands meeting the blood and fire of Old Valyria...

House Baratheon.

b411589c8544b7f59bb8696a593fb835.jpg

House Targaryen.

house-targaryen.jpg

Complete your goals, report your accomplishments, and be honest!  For the week, and the spoils, goes to the victor!

• Like 2

I will always be a Stark (as you can tell by my avatar).

I also promise my support to Baratheon, Greyjoy, and Martell.

Stark: First thing each morning stand outside no mater the weather to great the day and have the added side benefit of attempting to guess the morning temperature! 

Baratheon: 80 push ups and 80 sit ups every day.

Greyjoy: complete a 4 mile ruck with 35lbs in one hour. 

Martell: Try a yoga routine at least three out of the seven days of the week. 

• Like 1

Will come back and choose when I have more time since I'm not familiar with this series

ETA:

Stark - 3 outdoor walks
Targaryen - schedule, leave work on time
Tully - fire yoga
Martell - develop my own Zumba routine

Edited by RES
Adding selections

I pledge my sword to the houses of Stark, Baratheon, Tully, and Tyrell!

For the honour of House Stark, I will complete a hike of at least 30km in the national parks surrounding my home.

For the noble House of Baratheon, I shall practise my 4 karate katas at least 4 times during the week.

I shall prove my devotion to the Tullys by abstaining from alcohol , and drinking at least 4 glasses of water every day.

For House Tyrell I shall immerse myself in the natural world by completing a 20km trail run.

Edited by Geek On Fire
Updated with activity pledges.

Without even looking at the suggested feats, I'm pledging myself to Stark (obviously), Targaryen, Tully, and Martell.  

(Edited to add feats)

Stark: cold showers all week

Targaryen: Do 2 of the HIIT workouts on Darebee

Tully: Drink only water and coffee all week, with 2 liquid variances permitted for the week.

Martell: At least two sessions of playing with my weapons.

Stark - double up your regular walks x2 days this week

Targaryen - finish trip/stop planning for summer road trip

Tully - increase water consumption and track this week, no alcohol even on the weekend

Martell - revisit the GMB Focused Flexibility assessment this week and modify your daily stretches

I really love the PvP aspect of this.  Hopefully it will keep me engaged on the mini-front!  Thanks Rurik! 

Edited by Marauder
add tasks
  • Like 1

Yesss I'm loving that this is kind of PvP-esque but we will switch up teams each week.  Very exciting!

Stark: Either go for a ruck or add in some treadmill incline mountain training work to my week.  Weather/schedule dependent on which I choose. The ruck cannot count towards my "outdoor adventure" challenge goal and the incline training cannot count towards my cardio goal.

Targaryen: Schedule all my yearly doctors appointments. Because I'm overdo for most of them already.

Tully: No soda for the week. 

Tyrell: Set up my urban garden - I'm a little behind on this this year!

• Like 1

Lannister: I am going to budget and plan two weeks of meals, and/or (depending on what's going on that week) complete the Lannister WorkOut from DareBee
Targaryan: I'm going to marry a handsome man with grand eyebrows, watch him throw some gold at my brother, then use his army to reclaim my ancient homeland of- wait. Um. No, actually...uh. I'm going to fix my schedule and/or complete the DragonSlayer workout on DareBee (in lieu of actually hatching, raising, and maybe eventually flying my own actual dragon)
Tully: I'll meet my water goal and also complete a yoga session for the first time ever.
and Martell: Yoga. And also a stretching routine.

"To Casterly Rock, Storm's End, Riverrun, and Sunspear I pledge the faith of Falconscry. Hearth and harvest and we yield up to you, my lords. Our swords and spears and arrows are yours to command. Grant mercy to our weak, help to our helpless, and justice to all, and we shall never fail you."

"I swear it by earth and water."

"I swear it by bronze and iron."

"We swear it by ice and fire."

(Lannister, Baratheon, Tully, and of course MARTELL!)

giphy.gif

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Never managed to watch past the first episode of the first season *ducks for cover*

I didn't make it much into the first season either -  I read the books and they were great but the show missed the mark for me.

Very much here for this :D

I pledge my sword to the houses of Lannister, Targaryen, Greyjoy, and Tyrell.

(which is completely the opposite of what I'd intended when I first read through this, but I'm looking forward to the additional challenge!)

*Found my notes, goals are as follows:

Lannister: Create a weekly budget plan encompassing EVERYTHING, hard cash and card payments alike. Also get to the bank and organise my mess of direct debits...

Targaryen: Schedule, schedule, schedule. Create a weekly planner and tackle the appointments I've been avoiding making.

Greyjoy: Get back to the bouldering wall. One session is a good start, two is even better.

Tyrell: Start putting together the portable garden. One type of herb and one type of vegetable to be planted.

Super excited for Season 6!!!

1 - Lannister - Savings, create budget and put money in to my savings, I still have my tax refund I am slowly starting to dig in to, this needs to be moved over to my savings.

2 - Targaryn - (Edit) Focus on Animals, take dogs out for walk and ferrets outside to play.

3 - Tully - Add lots of fish to diet

4 - Tyrell - Go vegetarian for a week.

Week 1 - I had to Edit Targaryn this week.  Original was to run during lunch at work but this week I am off a couple days so that did not go well.  Since Daenerys is mother of dragons and I am mother of lots of animals, I changed my focus to them.  =)  I slack on taking the dogs out for walks or letting my ferrets explore the yard. 

• Like 1

This is great - many thanks Rurik.

I pledge my allegiance to the houses of Stark, Targaryen, Tully and Martell.

Stark - cold showers

Targaryen - schedule start/end time for work, bonus - booking flights and activities for holiday in May

Tully - 2x yoga

Martell - At least 5 minutes a day spent in deep squat, bonus - couch stretch for hips

• Like 1

I'm in!

Lannister - some sort of spending challenge, either no shopping or sticking to a grocery budget

Baratheon - do some extra practice for Aikido

Greyjoy - Go rucking

Tyrell - get outside for something relaxing (have a picnic or read), weather allowing

Never managed to watch past the first episode of the first season *ducks for cover* but I'll be keeping an eye out for this

afe.jpg

More of it than I've seen. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think this is awesome!
Will have to do some thinking about my houses, but I'm totally in!!!

Ok, thinking done.  Here are my challenges:

1. Stark:  I haven't run outdoors yet this season.  (Still too cold for me up here) For my challenge I will take the plunge and hit the frozen roads.
  2. Targaryen:  I will do all the planning for my vacation that I've been putting off.
  3. Tully:  I will track all my water consumption for the week.
  4. Tyrell:  I will clean out and prepare my backyard garden for planting.

In direct contrast to the houses I'd typically support, I pledge myself to houses Lannister, Targaryen, Tully and Tyrell.

They're probably areas I need improving in!

<EDIT>

Activities per house:

• Lannister- Budget! Budget! Budget! I'm guilty of being frivolous with my spending, stick to a budget with no spontaneous purchase.
  • Targaryen - Sprints! Currently focusing on long distance running for my cardio, I'll throw in a few HIIT sprint gauntlets to punish myself.
  • Tully - Yoga... time to work on that flexibility!
  • Tyrell - My hiking buddy had a knee reconstruction but she's back in the habit, will hit the trail with her on the weekends.

</EDIT>

• Like 1

Great to see so many folks joining the mini and pledging their support.  Keep those oaths of service rolling in; I'll announce Week 1's competing Houses this weekend.

Time to put my money where my mouth is, I suppose.  Here goes!

• Lannister:  I will pay off a minimum of 100 gold stags in debt plus afford my GoRuck Rucker, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and challenge rewards without negatively impacting my debt repayment and savings schedules.
  • Baratheon:  Complete two (2) Sledgehammer WODs in honor of King Robert, the First of His Name.
  • Greyjoy:  Return to the local rock climbing wall for some scrambling.
  • Martell:  Embark on three (3) sessions of GMB Elements & Primal Movement.

16 hours ago, Marauder said:

I really love the PvP aspect of this.  Hopefully it will keep me engaged on the mini-front!  Thanks Rurik! 

Glad to see my plans turned out well enough after all.  It's always great when folks appreciate a well-planned mini-challenge, and the theme is equally popular.  Even more pleased to see the interesting split of support for the different Houses.  This is going to be a good one!

• Like 3

Hello Fellow Rangers!

I'm hoping to jump back into the challenges and fora.  This is a great challenge!  I always seem to do better on the challenges that have a competitive nature or a team goal.

I pledge myself to the following Houses:

Stark:  I will walk/run the lake trail/North woods at least once this week.  

Targaryen:   2 sprint workouts on the erg OR HIIT WORKOUTS 

Tully:  Swim 250 meters non-stop.

Martell:   Beat my 5k time set on 4/16/2016 virtual race.

Edited by Aquamom
Added additional Targaryen workout.
  • Like 1