Ripple heads to Whiterun.

Ripple

I'm loving the gym make over! It's so convenient to have that in your own house. (And an adorable cheerleader on top!)

It's great that you do a mid-challenge revaluation of your goals! I should probably do that, too ;) And yeha, these are all completely justified modifications. Good luck with the second half of the challenge!

Oh, and there are bound to be some great warm up and cool down yoga routines out there, so you can do both :)

I think your training area looks awesome and that it's really cool, that the body weight training is working out so good for you. Don't stress yourself with the weight loss that will come sooner or later. If you're planing to do a Tough Mudder maybe you can do yoga as a warming up. I'm doing that for my marathon training and it really makes a difference for me :)

Yes, I'm so pleased with how it came together, and I just snagged a deal for an olympic bar, some plates, the extra two mats I need, and a couple of extra goodies on craigslist that I'm picking up tomorrow which should make it relatively finished for quite some time. 

Yoga as a warm up / cool down is a great idea and something I thought of for my soon-to-be running days. It's not as possible on the bodyweight days as the mister is not at all a yogi (and not at all bendy) so it's more important to spend our time on dynamic warmups and a whole lot of stretching afterward to work on his bendy-ness. I think if I tried to bring balance into the equation via yoga postures it'd be too much right now... but maybe some day! 

• Like 1

There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.

Respawn. | #1 | Current Challenge.

Week 3, Day 1

Pomodoros: 3 (whee!)

Sleep: It will happen! 

Managed to knock out 2 pomodoros before noon and a third that started before noon and ended after. Sort of lost my productivity stride after that (partially going down the craigslist-gym-equipment rabbit hole, partially post-lunch slump) but it's a good start and I made real progress today. 

Heading to bed right now - yeah yeah I might be a minute or two late but I just knocked out a couple of tasks that have really been weighing on me which is huge. You see, when I'm stuck in a procrastination loop I end up staying up late with the INTENTION of getting more done but instead spend a whole lot of time in the dark playground before going to bed far too late which means I wake up the next morning even farther behind and underslept and full of generalized hate for everything. 

So, new impromptu rule - if I find myself sitting at my PC past a reasonable hour I have two choices: I can either do something I ACTUALLY enjoy (like play Skyrim), or I can do something ACTUALLY productive. If I'm going to do neither I'd be better off leaving my office for the night and reading/watching tv/cleaning/whatever'ing. 

p.s. - I know I make it sound like I sit in my office a zillion hours a day chained to my desk which isn't quite true. It's more like I sit here all day then take a significant break from the time my family gets home until mini-me goes to bed then end up back in here feeling guilty and like I need to do more work and visiting the dark playground for hours on and instead because I resent not having my evenings because I'm so behind. VICIOUS. CYCLE'D. 

Week 3 Recap: I just... no idea. 

Not eating like an asshole: 5/7, followed by weekend-binge-of-doom

Pomodoros: 3 total, which happened in the same day. Fail.

Sleep: Massive failure. Huge. Astronomical. Then I slept 25 hours in a single weekend. 

BWF: 1 workout, which ended in injury.

Yoga: 0, due to aforementioned injury.

So... yeah.

I don't even know how to break down this update. I guess let's talk about how on Monday I almost went to bed on time but not really, then on Tuesday I wrenched my forearm something fierce during the last set of my workout. Really, I think my forearm was messed up the entire workout as I wasn't able to hold a side plank on that side and couldn't figure out why, but actual PAIN did not come until that final set of incline rows... and painful it was. 

Then, I skipped my workout on Thursday by choice because my forearm was still in massive pain. I decided that if this is a long term injury I'd shift my focus to running since that is something I need to be looking toward for Tough Mudder in October. 

Meanwhile I only managed to meet my pomodoro goal on Monday and I'm feeling awfully behind and stressed.

Then Friday rolls along and I still don't feel okay trying out my forearm. Which, is fine. Except I decide to just eat like an asshole for two days which is totally not fine. But on the upside I did track that shit and realized I didn't damage myself as much as my protesting digestive system might think. So in keeping with the rest of this challenge it seems I'm doing enough to maintain but not to lose. Could be better. Could definitely be worse. 

Then between Friday and Sunday I go into a food/haven'tsleptlikeanormahumaninmonths coma.

giphy.gif

Between Friday and Saturday I slept for... and I'm not shitting you... at least 25 hours. 

Twenty. Five. Hours.

This is not abnormal for me. I sleep like an asshole for 3 months, slowly wearing myself down with not enough sleep, then in one fell swoop I sleep for the majority of a weekend and wake up on the other end feeling superhuman. Is this what people who can sleep like adults all of the time feel like? 

Anyway... I'm honestly not even sure where to take the last week of this challenge.

I've met my goal of tracking... though the correlating goal of not sabotaging my progress by eating like an asshole is elusive. On the upside, I'm not gaining. I'm just also not losing. 

I've met my goal of bodyweight workouts... but now I'm injured which impedes both that and my yoga goal. 

I've gotten a lot done, actually, but in the context of any of my not-sucking-at-daily-life goals I have done.. not so well. 

Well, fuck. 

I will say... I'm still here which is much-fucking-better than in challenges past when I'm failing so hard in week 3 that I give up because I'm too embarrassed to admit just how bad I'm sucking at this. 

Ok, so the next week is stupidly simple. If I can't do this, I deserve to fail: 

FINALLY clear the business backlog that has been plaguing me for ages (I've made great progress on this already this weekend, between all the sleep). 

There are six items on my list. I have seven days... yes some of them are busy but I will. do. this. much. 

Check out my injury next week: if the bodyweight routine is not possible right now, plan a running routine for next challenge. 
Easy. I have a plan in mind already, just need to work out the logistics with the mister alternating his bwf days with my running days. 

Don't ruin the amazing overslept feeling I have right now. 
I love sleep. I feel amazing right now. It's no wonder I can't go to sleep at a normal hour tonight after sleeping for literally over half of my weekend, but in order to sustain this feeling getting at least 7 hours a night, which means asleep by midnight, is non-fucking-negotiable. 

Not even going to stress about eating beyond tracking. Tracking has become a daily habit and I feel good about that. I seem to at least be not gaining, so I'm mostly concerned with setting my next challenge up for success here. Kill the stress causing backlog dead, figure out my movement plan for the next challenge, don't ruin all the amazing sleep I just got. 

Man, this grind. It's starting to feel... grindy. BUT... I'm still here and that is a real accomplishment for me. 

tumblr_n3fbmdfcMU1sjwwzso1_500.gif

• Like 1

I think your new plan sounds good and it's important that you focus on the sleeping goals. If you don't get enough good sleep everything else will fall apart sooner or later (that's also why every training book has at least one chapter about sleep)

Also don't be to hard on yourself, as far as I can see week three is hard for everyone so keep fighting :)

Also I support running as a goal, just make sure what you want to achieve with it (weight loss, distance or tempo)and plan accordingly beforehand otherwise it will get frustrating really fast :/

• Like 1

My NF-Character: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58102

Introduction Or How I started, Challenges: 1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; 5 ; 6 ; 7 ; RESPAWN  ; 8 ;

Member of the League of Epicness, Hellfire Club!

...would like to be a Nac Mac Feggle ;)

Sorry to hear about your injury. It sucks when you gather some momentum and then stuff like this throws you right off :( I hope you not posting here is a sign that you were busy acing your goals in week 4. If not, I hope you're not embarassed about it and come back and post, even if things didn't go as planned.

• Like 2

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 4/25/2016 at 4:02 AM, Schaengel said:

I think your new plan sounds good and it's important that you focus on the sleeping goals. If you don't get enough good sleep everything else will fall apart sooner or later (that's also why every training book has at least one chapter about sleep)

Also don't be to hard on yourself, as far as I can see week three is hard for everyone so keep fighting :)

Also I support running as a goal, just make sure what you want to achieve with it (weight loss, distance or tempo)and plan accordingly beforehand otherwise it will get frustrating really fast :/

New plan didn't go... according to plan. Some good, some bad, overall it could have been worse. 

My goal for running is to get up to a 10k distance before the Tough Mudder in October. It's really for endurance, I don't have any interest in running for speed or time. 

On 5/2/2016 at 7:07 AM, Briniel said:

Sorry to hear about your injury. It sucks when you gather some momentum and then stuff like this throws you right off :( I hope you not posting here is a sign that you were busy acing your goals in week 4. If not, I hope you're not embarassed about it and come back and post, even if things didn't go as planned.

It actually only cost me a week of training so that's good. Got back on it in Week 4 and completed the routine x2. 

Really appreciate you checking in on me. My personal life got... a little hairy which was the reason I vanished for a bit. Things are better now, though! 

Better Late than Never Challenge Recap:

This was me for a lot of this challenge... 

ilUiedl.gif

Ok, let's talk about the good first. 

Tracking: 26/28 

Yoga: 2/4

BWF: 7/4 !!!!!!! 

So, the epic good news in this challenge is somehow despite otherwise failing at life and adulting I managed to create and sustain healthy habits.

The two days of missed tracking happened because of personal issues that caused me to spend a weekend in bed in a puddle of depression and self loathing so I'm willing to not only forgive those but to celebrate the fact that I got right back on the wagon without missing a beat. Fuck. Yes. 

I didn't make my yoga goal, but that is because bodyweight work ended up taking more of a priority this challenge than I initially planned. When taken together, I took my goal of moving 2x per week and exceeded it, even with a week off for injury. I feel happy about this, but what I'm really over the fucking mood ecstatic about is the fact that this is just now a thing that I am committed to do and I don't spend a lot of time questioning it - I just do the thing at the time I committed to do the thing. 

Now let's talk about why I feel like this despite all the good above... 

vIf0lAD.gif

So, health and fitness stuff is going well. Yay, right?

Well... yes. And... no. One of the many fun things about living inside my ADHD brain is when I really find my stride with something I really, really find it. Like, I get obsessed. I've consumed more content about bodyweight training in the last month than I've probably consumed my entire life prior. It starts by looking for one thing then I'm down the internet rabbit hole reading articles, blog posts, AMAs which leads to surfing instagram and youtube videos which leads to more curiosity which leads to more reading and so on. 

Good thing... yes? Not really.

I feel like my primary challenge in life is, and always has been, balance. If I'm doing mega-well in one area it is almost always to the detriment of other equally important things: family, business (I own two), household maintenance, self care (including that elusive sleep thing). 

The thing is, it's not the 4-6 hours a week doing actual bodyweight work takes out of my life each week that is the problem. This is a Good Thing™. It's the countless other hours that I waste zeroing in on whatever it is I'm obsessed with at the moment to the detriment of everything else in my life. Prime example: I bought a dot journal for my workout log a fucking month ago but rather than using it right away I waited until I figured out exactly how I wanted to lay it out, then spent a ridiculous amount of time transposing my prior workouts, including redoing the first page several times until I was 100% happy with it. 

Such is the vicious cycle of my life: I'm always crushing it in one area and failing utterly everywhere else. So, my next challenge will be centered on bringing some balance into my world without losing the good habits I built in this challenge. The habits are great, but getting so immersed in one thing and using it as an excuse to procrastinate on everything else... not so great. This is not a new problem, but it's one I'm going to have to figure out how to solve - otherwise other life demands will eventually reach critical mass and I'll end up shelving fitness to catch up. 

• Like 2

On 7.5.2016 at 2:06 AM, SnowOwl said:

I so need to find this magical balance too! My current challenge includes internet restrictions to help with the down the rabbit hole thing. :)

Same here. I thought about adding internet restrictions in, it's probably going to come up next challenge or so.

And Ripple, I feel you on the getting obsessed thing. I don't have ADHD, but I can waste hours on end on "research" on whatever interests me most right now. Of course I don't write anything down so when/if I actually get around to trying to put that research into practice, I usually have to look it up all over again. Do you get hyperfocus, too? A friend of mine with ADHD says he either can not concentrate at all and his thoughts jump around like crazy or he is so utterly focused that he forgets everything else (including to eat and stuff like that). So yes, balance seems to be the one magical elusive thing...

• Like 1

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1