• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Starpuck

Starpuck Learns to Marvel at Herself

I really like the picture, it's cool to see the progress from sketch to inking. I must have missed before if you said Jaiks was meditating and I couldn't figure out what was happening, but now that you said that it make much more sense. And congrats on going for the run even if you were tired after a weekend of awesome!

• Like 1

W4D2 - Tuesday

Foods: Consumed 1670 / Burned 2098  - My weight lifting sessions are burning less and less calories, d'oh!

Exercise: Strength session at lunch.   It's written down somewhere.   It was another 3 x 15 week.

Art:  More work on Jaiks pic.  I think I will leave it finished where it is.   It could use a lot more work, but I feel like I am spinning my wheels, so while there were very few revisions from last post, this is it.  Basically added some shine on the cans, highlighted/shaded the hair, and shaded the pants.    Maybe some day I'll add a few more adjustments, but this one took a while!  

stilling_the_turbulent_mind_by_lilwolfe0

W4D3 - Wednesday

Foods: Consumed 1950 / Burned 2821  ---  so when I left for hockey at 8:10pm, I was only at 1699 calories.  >.>   I skated hard today.

Exercise: 1h45 minutes of a really good skate.  Even if I whiffed on 100% of the perfect passes I was fed.   I made Angie laugh though, by saying, "Hey Ang!   Next time, can you wrap that pass up for me?   Nice box, glitter...."     She goes, "Sure, what color bow?"     It was the most perfect pass into the slot, and I was in just the right spot and ... MISSED.   Now, I was using my brand new, intermediate, super light flex, just sliiiiiightly different stick that I JUST got.   So I could blame it on that... but I think it was just me.  LOL

Art:  Never on Wednesdays!  Er, ok sometimes.   But not today.   Was going over trip stuff with my traveling compadre!

I need to get on the ball with some compliments here this week!     Tomorrow!   Aiming for tomorrow.      So glad the forums seem to be working now.   I was starting to get twitchy!

• Like 1

W4D4 - Thursday

Foods: Consumed 2201 / Burned 2191 -- DAMN THOSE SWEDISH FISH!  lol   We'll call this 'maintenance day'

Exercise: Strength in the Whse today.   Despite having no energy for it I pushed through anyway.   Man, my lifting sessions are burning less and less calories.  Even as I add reps/weight.   Not sure how I feel about this.    

Reverse Lunge - 3 x 15 @ 16# / 20# / 20#

Push Ups at Bench Level  - 3 x 15

Inverted Rows - 3 x 15

Glute Bridge - 3 x 15 @ 35# / 40# / 40#

Roman Chair Sit Ups - 3 x 15 @ 0 / 14# / 8#

DB Lateral Raises - 3 x 15 @ 2.5# / 5# / 5#  **no crackling when I am super slow, shoulders down and pinchy!

Art: 

Compliment:  This part is so hard lately.  And I'm reaching back to a pic from last Sept to use for it, but there's a reason: The picture is not very flattering, lol!!  Bobbing in the lake, hair slicked back with lake water, and ... I won't keep going with why it may not be the most flattering pic, because that seems like it'd defeat the purpose of this practice.   But, I wanted to address that point first because it's a big deal.    I have here, a picture of myself, that I love even with those things I might be critical of.   This was Labor Day weekend.   My brother took me waterskiing and it was my first time.   I nailed it.  Well, we started on the bar, nailed it.  Then the short line off the bar took me about 3x to get up and stay up.  Then behind the boat, first try.  Then took off the training wheels.  First try.   It was so much fun.    I love this pic because it was me totally busting out of my comfort zone.  Trying something I've never done before.  IN A SWIM SUIT NO LESS.   And just owning the moment.     (Sure this may have triggered my terrible terrible shoulder woes that are still ailing me, but I do not at all regret the experience, and I hope to some day do this again.)     I am all smiles here.   No worries about if my smile is too big, too toothy, too wrinkly in the eyes.  Just... pure happiness with my body and what it was letting me do.      This is an amazing pic, of an amazing woman, that has a lot of amazing things left to do and experience.

11996901_10207414232744378_7341302425561

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

The picture is not very flattering, lol!! 

??? cant find that picture...

The one displaying on my computer is of a someone having so much fun you can tell she just does not give 1 f**k about having the picture taken. She is living the moment. If I had to rank beautiful things to behold in this world, I'd rank "someone in the zone" pretty high. I think it is an amazing picture, you look great in it. And the story behind it just makes it even better.

Keep rocking on your challenge,  Neechan

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, erosan said:

The one displaying on my computer is of a someone having so much fun you can tell she just does not give 1 f**k about having the picture taken. She is living the moment. If I had to rank beautiful things to behold in this world, I'd rank "someone in the zone" pretty high. I think it is an amazing picture, you look great in it. And the story behind it just makes it even better.

Agreed. All I see is a huge awesome smile and some water.

• Like 2

That pic is awesome, you look like you're having such a fantastic time!

2 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Exercise: Strength in the Whse today.   Despite having no energy for it I pushed through anyway.   Man, my lifting sessions are burning less and less calories.  Even as I add reps/weight.   Not sure how I feel about this.    

Out of interest how are you tracking your calorie burn for lifting? It's pretty difficult to do in general, and heart rate is apparently not a very reliable indicator of calorie burn for strength work (unlike cardio, which HR works great for).

Part of it might be that as your muscles get more used to the movements they are not being stressed in the same way, as they can lift more efficiently (and therefore use less energy), but it might also be that your tracker is not telling you the whole story. I'm not an expert (although I'm sure you could find someone here who is) but I certainly wouldn't worry about it too much.

I'm going with the majority here and saying that's an awesome pic of you, you look like you're having the time if your life. Personally, I'm a fan of the eye-wrinkling smile. I'm actually looking forward to having crows feet as I age, because you get them from laughing and smiling (I don't know if that's actually true, but that's how I imagine it), so if you have them it means you've led a life that's included a lot of smiling and laughing, and that's a great thing in my books.

Congrats on pushing through the workout. I had some of the same thoughts as Jarric re: calorie burn, though I'm about as far as you can be from knowledgeable about that sort of thing. I wonder if there are any Warriors who might be able to sort through it with you, so you know how accurate your measuring is....?

20 hours ago, erosan said:

19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Agreed. All I see is a huge awesome smile and some water.

18 hours ago, Jarric said:

That pic is awesome, you look like you're having such a fantastic time!

Out of interest how are you tracking your calorie burn for lifting? It's pretty difficult to do in general, and heart rate is apparently not a very reliable indicator of calorie burn for strength work (unlike cardio, which HR works great for).

Part of it might be that as your muscles get more used to the movements they are not being stressed in the same way, as they can lift more efficiently (and therefore use less energy), but it might also be that your tracker is not telling you the whole story. I'm not an expert (although I'm sure you could find someone here who is) but I certainly wouldn't worry about it too much.

I have both a FITBIT CHARGEHR and a Polar HRM - I use the Polar chest strap monitor for weight lifting and hockey because it catches my heart rates so much better.   The Fitbit really works best if your arm is also moving for some reason... but in stride moving, not like boxing moving.      I really wish I could figure out how my body works because I think I could get a better handle on things and start obsessing less.    There needs to be a facility that caters to this kind of thing!

14 hours ago, obax said:

I'm going with the majority here and saying that's an awesome pic of you, you look like you're having the time if your life. Personally, I'm a fan of the eye-wrinkling smile. I'm actually looking forward to having crows feet as I age, because you get them from laughing and smiling (I don't know if that's actually true, but that's how I imagine it), so if you have them it means you've led a life that's included a lot of smiling and laughing, and that's a great thing in my books.

Congrats on pushing through the workout. I had some of the same thoughts as Jarric re: calorie burn, though I'm about as far as you can be from knowledgeable about that sort of thing. I wonder if there are any Warriors who might be able to sort through it with you, so you know how accurate your measuring is....?

11 hours ago, Kishi said:

:D

It's a good photo.

I wish you saw it the way we did.

To all of you sweethearts saying the nice things!   Thanks.  (blush)    I am trying really hard to start loving myself in these pics.    Well, I should say, loving how I look lol.   I think I am for the most part pretty keen personality wise.  :P     I will keep working on it.

Today is supposed to be a run day, but D&D ran until 11:30pm last night.   Then I had all the stress because my phone was acting weird and I feared I may be seeing its final moments.  (It's behaving more normally today.)  Then, all the people I had texted through out the day, who I thought had not replied?   Their flood of replies came through my phone at 12:46am.    My text notification sound is Naruto's Kagebunshin no jutsu sound.    So... I pretty much thought that I was being surrounded by a thousand shadow clones... just shy of 1am.     Sleep was crap.     I am physically exhausted today - even standing up seems to take so much effort.

X18xVG1GdG1Hcjgx_o_wendy-marvell-trips-o

So.  I am not running.  I am not even walking (its cold and grey out still, sucky).    I am gonna take it easy and recharge and then do fun stuff tomorrow.   Like.   Practice hiking in the rain.   -.-      I also have a strength workout tomorrow int he morning, so there will be exercise.   Sunday of course is a hockey game.   I think I just don't have enough honest rest days in my plan.    This must be addressed next challenge.

• Like 4

Aw, hiking's more fun anyway. Or, you could mix and match and do a trail run if you're so inclined. Your options are before you, and there's no sense in destroying yourself for adaptation's sake.

Starting to prepare data for the end of the challenge here.    Things ... look frustrating.    I'm not sure where to go with this, because I feel like 5 weeks is an adequate amount of time to give something to see if it's working.  The problem is I honestly don't know what's going wrong.    I mean.   It's science.   And I've followed the formula.  And.  Nothing.

Here is Fitbit's handy dandy calories burned versus consumed, complete with 30 day average in/out.

IYeBbae.png

Obviously, you can see the two days I didn't track on MFP.    And there were 2 days I was over my burn.   Out of 30 days... I find this more than satisfactory on the consistency front.   And the average shows me for the most part, at a 400 calorie / day deficit.      Pretty solid.   Right?  I mean, safe, maintainable, non-binge triggering weight loss mode there.

Then we have MFP's net calorie chart.

vL05XHO.png

Those days where it looks like I have really low net calories?   Most likely hockey days, where, when I try my damnedest to get up to 2500 calories eaten, and usually end up at only 2000.  Otherwise, pretty close to the red line on most days.   A few days over... but that doesn't mean I ate past maintenance level.

So, given that data, you'd expect good things...

zy43bU4.png

I started my weight tracking on Day 1 of Shark Week so I was retaining some water and bloat to start with.   I'd been hovering around the 155 mark up to that point.

First day, Sharks, 3/28 I was 158.6

Two days later, on 3/30 I dropped the shark weight to weigh in at 155.6   Which is where you see me starting on 3/31.

The next 30 days of busting ass and tracking and eating got me .... to 154 ish.   

With a fuckton of up and down and up and down and up and down.     My excel graph says I am losing .48 pounds a week based on this, and that it will take me until DECEMBER to get to 140.      Good grief!!!

I can't keep doing this and I really don't know where to go to get some professional help.   My doctor, since my results were normal, said that I can't even go to a nutritionist because insurance won't see a need for it.   I'd pay out of pocket to see someone, but I am so afraid of getting just some Joe Schmoe who took a 12 week course and slapped a nutrition label onto his shirt will sit down and tell me all the stuff I already know.   I need like ... someone capable of looking into things way deeper than you would for the typical, "I've never done this before, how do I lose weight?" case.     

So that's that.   I wanted to get the crappy numbers and data part out of the way first, so that I can focus on the wins with the final wrap up summary later.

hey friend! I have a lot to catch up on:

* good for going with the good hiking boots! I didn't realize you have so many foot things, can I just say I am colored impressed that you run so much? I know so many people with 1 or 2 of those special conditions who would never run ever.

* I love your smile. and I ALSO LOVE WATERSKIING, I haven't been in YEARS but my uncle rick used to take me when I was a kid. SO fun.

* your graphs are so great. seriously.

there's a few things I'm thinking?

1. are you also taking other measurements? photos or tape measure? bodyfat?

2. are you always pushing yourself on the lifting etc. to improveimproveimprove?

3. you didn't gain any weight, after a period of gaining, right? that is a HUGE win. next challenge you can lose.

4. also, you might be in a serious plateau. that might be a reason to track other kinds of measurements. and just wait it out.

5. or goose it, with increasing intensity workouts?

basically I think there are a LOT of different options you could try out, and I don't want you to feel bummed about these numbers which are, in fact, just numbers reflecting how you relate to the earth's gravitational pull. and also basically I LURVE YOU.

So, I took measurements today.   Last measurements were taken Feb 10th.   So almost 90 days of working out and stuff.

Everything either stayed the same or increased!!!   My waist gained 1.5", my thighs gained 1", biceps .5" (and no that's not good in my book, I hate my biceps.)   I really really dunno what to do.    I can't keep doing the same thing and expecting different results... I believe there's a quote about that.  I just dunno what needs changing.    

@Kishi Thanks for that list.  I actually sent an email to one of the fella's not too far from me.  I hope I hear back from him.

@karinajean  I am pushing myself on my lifting a bit-- tempered though, by not wanting to push so hard that I mess up a shoulder that seems to be slowly but surely getting better.    I've been SO TIRED AND EXHAUSTED all the time, that I push from Mon-Wed and by Thurs I have absolutely nothing left in the tanks.   Which, ya know, I thought those blood tests might have confirmed something up with that, but nope.

Today I am trying to think what to do to change things up.    For one, I am going to try and lower the amount of fat in my diet.  I don't track it, and in all honesty it usually messes me up.  Even healthy fats like avocado- if I do too much, I am quickly chastised for it.  Painfully.     I am also gonna change up the exercise a bit and try to get more sleep.  Maybe get the dancing back in and get the hitch installed so I can do my bike rides at lunch instead of the runs all the time.  I feel like I am throwing darts at a wall while blindfolded and this super sucks, but I don't have a lot of options for getting help with this.   Stupid insurance.

Needless to say.   This has taken the wind out of my sails on what was otherwise a pretty decent challenge.   It just doesn't feel like I had any wins.

CHALLENGE SUMMARY:

Goal #1 -- Fuel yourself properly!  
Do not starve yourself, you need energy for all those magical attacks!
CHALLENGE TOTAL 27 / 30

I tracked.    Had only three days that didn't get totally tracked.    I am not sure what I should do with tracking going forward.   I hate it most of the time.   It frustrates me any time I am out with my friends.    And... it's not helping me at this point.

Goal #2 -- Train for all things!  
All around training is required so you can face a range of unexpected situations!

TOTALS FOR CHALLENGE

RUNNING  8/10

STRENGTH  15/15

HOCKEY 7/8 -- There was one day I could not make hockey due to it being in conflict with other commitments,  but I skated twice a week every week except that one time.

Another goal that was pretty much nailed.    Only the runs were ditched out, and both times due to the body being at war with me.   Like, shut down, hard to keep eyes open, falling over when I stood up war... I was exhausted.   Both failed runs were on Thursdays - aka, the day after a late night hockey thing.   I think it's just poor planning.   I need a rest day.   My schedule, and my desire to eat food, seems to not allow it.

Goal #3 -- Practice your Art!  
Wendy is a master of support magic, and that requires a calm mind and great focus. 

TOTALS FOR CHALLENGE

ART 11/15

This was mostly a product of a busier than expected schedule.   I got 3x / week only once.    The rest were consistently 2x/week.    I keep finding old sketchbooks and am torn between absolute frustration at yet another thing where I have experienced lost skills...  and alternating hope that maybe I have some hidden talent that practice can once more unlock.     Today, however, is not a great day to think about it too deeply because numbers have my head in a bad place.  :/

Goal #4 -- Compliment yourself!  
Wendy starts off as a shy, uncertain girl in Fairy Tail.   But she learns to build her confidence by believing in herself.
CHALLENGE TOTALS 4/8

No big surprise here that this was the goal that fell the shortest.   I need to keep working on this.   I am giving myself today to be crabby and pouty and growly about things, then tomorrow, I will put my foot forward again.    Trying to think of ways to tackle this, short of what I've been doing.  The pictures/compliments are a good approach I think, but so so so hard to do.

• Like 3

aw sweetness. I'm sorry you are feeling a little sail-deflated.

I am dealing with fatigue too. so, next challenge I'm going to focus on protein, in the off chance that maybe that's my issue? I mean, you and I really push our bodies super hard. ESPECIALLY FOR OUR AGE HARDYHARHARHAR. (no seriously I'm giggling at having typed up that bit.) I don't know what else to do.

Sometimes the data you gather is that gathering data doesn't make the difference you want it to.

So, you learn what you can from it and move on. Not a lot else you can do at that point. Being a tracker of data is not a paradigm that works for you, so you need something different. Maybe the nutritionist, assuming they get back to you, can give you some good starting points.

Meanwhile, you strength'd and played, like a good Assassin. And you figured out some hard points in your schedule to build around. Awesome. Okay.

One day to sulk sounds like a good amount, but you owe it to yourself not to let it go further than that.

• Like 1

From where I'm sitting, that looks like a damn fine challenge was had, though I totally get that the numbers are making it hard for you to see it that way. There's nothing wrong with sulking about that, but, as you say, put your foot forward when you're done. I wish I could offer some piece of information that would help you get the numbers to move the way you want them to, but I know next to nothing about any of that...

One thing I will say is, if you do decide to talk to a nutrition expert, I would encourage you to look into the difference between a Registered Dietician and a Nutritionist. An RD is required to have a university degree (minimum 4 year bachelor degree) and goes through a rigorous internship and testing process before they're allowed to call themselves an RD. There aren't any regulations at all about who can and cannot call themselves a nutritionist (ie. a Nutritionist is much more likely than an RD to be the one who took a 4 week course and slapped a sticker on their chest). If that's something that interests you, I found this website that lets you find an RD by zip code, and refine the search by area of expertise to easily find who/what you're looking for (there was a search category for 'weight control' and also one for 'metabolic measurements', both of which stood out to me as potentially helpful). It does really suck that insurance won't pay for these things for preventative reasons, though, you'd think they'd realize that if they pay for prevention now, they might never have to pay for treatment later....

However you end up tackling it, I'll be here cheering you on!!

• Like 1

Look like a really successful challenge to me :D

You're doing net calories right?  I've had way more success in just aiming for x number of calories and not worrying about net calories.  I've found things get a little wonky when I try to do the net.  For example, I'll aim for like 1600 calories on non lifting days and 1800 calories on lifting days, and not really pay attention to what I've burned and stuff. If I start feeling massively hungry or irritable I readjust. Just a suggestion if the net thing continues to make you nuts <3

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 10:27 PM, obax said:

One thing I will say is, if you do decide to talk to a nutrition expert, I would encourage you to look into the difference between a Registered Dietician and a Nutritionist

Also I second this

Love, you're 5'4, 154 lbs. You are strong as fuck and healthy.

You look amazing and you're having fun. That's what living is about, not about what we want the scale to say.

Also your biceps are amazing. As are you

• Like 5

You've done awesome on your challenge, truly, so don't forget to celebrate that in spite of whatever the scale thinks. You are stronger now than you were at the start of this challenge, and you'll only continue to get stronger still.