iatetheyeti takes baby steps

iatetheyeti

Last challenge started out with the best of intentions, but life doesn’t always recognise that and sometimes will punch you in the gut, just because. After that it’s easy to roll over and decide that maybe now isn’t the right time to get back up, maybe it’s best to wait until life has focused on someone or something else.

...but such a time does not exist.

The best time is NOW.

I’ve tried pushing through with different methods, and despite having many failures, I’ve also gained a better idea of what works best for the different mindsets I find myself in most often. So I’ve simplified things down to the bare bones in order to minimise the stress that goal setting can have on me, and I’ve worked out a points system for it all that I can keep track of easily.

MOVEMENT

Do SOMETHING every day. Maybe I have a long shift and only have time for ten minutes of circuits, or maybe I have a day off and time for a full on workout. Maybe I’m feeling happy and motivated to work on deadlifts, and maybe I’m upset or anxious and would feel better taking a walk. As long as something gets done every day.

Three points will be awarded for ‘full size’ workouts, a combination of bodyweight and weighted work, including warming up properly, cooling down and stretching, and work on the foam roller.

Two points will be awarded for ‘regular size’ workouts, which will be counted as something that hits most of the above points, but not all. For example, warming up, working on deadlifts, then stretching afterwards.

One point will be awarded for sporadic movement throughout the day, like that ten minute circuit session mentioned above, or a grease the groove approach to pull ups or pistol squats, or a few sets of push-ups here and there.

No movement, no points.

***EDIT: In a slight adaptation to the above, I'm adding in a couple of small essentials that should be done daily:

• Mobility work: Use one of the NF Yoga mobility mini-sessions. They're all ten minutes or less, so it's not a massive time commitment.
  • Grip work: In this case, dead hangs. Basically what I've been doing most days of this week. Every time I go past the bar, I hang from it for a while. My grip strength is shocking, and not in a good way.

NUTRITION

I was getting back on track in the food department, and then my fridge and freezer went kaput. Unresponsive landlord is unresponsive, so I’m making the best of it for now. It means that tins are my friend, I have to get creative with any accidental bulk cooking I do (which happens a lot), and I need to find new and interesting ways to keep the right kinds of food in my diet.

Three points for three meals. A protein shake will be counted as a meal at breakfast time only, and is best accompanied by some fruit or other snack.

Two points for two meals.

One point for one meal plus consistent grazing. Trying to avoid this, although it’s happened a few days since the fridge went. I feel crappy after days where I haven’t eaten properly, so I can only imagine what is happening to my insides.

A no point day is not an option.

MIND

I am first and foremost responsible for looking after myself, and that includes taking time out to do something enjoyable or nothing at all. I’ve recently changed jobs, and although I’ve only had two shifts at my new job there is a noticeable difference in atmosphere. Throughout those two shifts I’ve run into several pub regulars who have all, without fail, commented on how much happier I seem. I’d like to keep that happiness. Therefore I will take thirty minutes every day to set everything aside and do something purely for me.

Three points for the full half hour.

Two points for up to twenty minutes.

One point for up to ten minutes.

No time, no points. Although with my new shift structure there really is no excuse for not having time...

REWILDING

I am happier when surrounded by nature, and yet I don’t include enough of it in my life. This isn’t going to be a points goal, but I will aim to do something every day. It can be as simple as watering my small collection of plants, opening the curtains to let the daylight in, or sitting out in the garden for a little while. It can be going for a walk and turning the music off for a while, foraging for edibles in the glen, or setting up a riverside camp fire to cook a meal. So long as I’m making an effort to do something, that’s what counts.

The rewards part is something I’ve not quite figured out yet, but I’ve got plenty of time to think it over, and while it is nice to get something tangible out of it all, it’s not the most important thing. The important thing is that everything will be logged here, and I mean everything. What I ate, what I did, and should the worst happen, what I didn't do and why.

***EDIT: Rewards System

I've done some sums and have decided that the maximum number of points I can earn in this challenge is 243. That's accounting for full nutrition and mind points daily, a full size workout every second day, and a workout every other day. Based on that I've split things up very roughly, figured out what will both motivate me and further my progress, and have come up with the following rewards:

0-120 = The knowledge that I tried my best, and next time will do better!

121-174 = Been there, done that, got the t-shirt (the nerdier the better).

175-200 = The knowledge that I'm getting a grip on this healthy living business (fat grips).

200-243 = A congratulatory pat on the back (plus a shiny sandbag).

I debated the consolation prize thing, but in the decided that if I didn't even get halfway then there's no point. The t-shirt reward will do nothing to further my progress, that is motivational enabling that's come about purely because I've got my eye on a few different ones, and want an excuse to buy one. Grips are self-explanatory and varied grip training will help massively for bouldering. The sandbag (which does not have to be shiny!) is for training variation. That way I can train inside, or just as easily take it out for a walk.

• Like 6

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Subbing for some Yeti awesomeness!

Simplifying things is never a bad idea! Less=more :)

Wolf

"Daddy needs to express some Rage."

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Vigilante/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 178#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Gotham Project Pt. 2

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

8 hours ago, Raxie said:

I really like your rewilding goal! I'll be following along :)

Thanks! :D

6 hours ago, redimagination said:

Following again! 

I really like how you have planned out your goals. And I love your rewilding goal! 

Thanks :) Had to keep the goals as simple as possible, otherwise my frazzled brain wouldn't even know where to begin...

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along again.

Good to have you here :D

2 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Subbing for some Yeti awesomeness!

Simplifying things is never a bad idea! Less=more :)

Wolf

"Daddy needs to express some Rage."

Exactly, less = more. Might be a little frustrating now, but when I've used the solid foundation I've built to do some truly epic things, I'll be laughing :D

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Following!

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Week: Zero

Day: Four (day two since challenge went up!)

Movement:

I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'm going to include my walk to and from work. It comes to about 2.2 miles in total, but is basically no challenge at all. That and I don't really get a choice as to whether or not I do it...

That aside, it wasn't a bad day for movement. If I was counting points I'd have at least one by now! One thing I have done to motivate myself is join the Daily Dares PVP, that way I get movement and it'll help go towards my unofficial goal of interacting more. I happened to join on the day the dare was 200 leg raises... They're done and dusted now, but there was no way I was getting the extra credit on that (100/100 in one go). Still, breaking it down into sets of ten, fifteen, and twenty went fairly well. Probably going to be feeling it tomorrow though!

Alongside that there was a bit of work on the pull up bar. Spent some time hanging, sometimes with both hands, sometimes with one hand. All un-timed, unfortunately. Spent some time doing hanging knees raises as well. It's an exercise I love, for whatever reason.

Nutrition:

Wasn't as bad as it could be. It would have been a full three points today. I got some funny looks for my breakfast, but then if you sit down in the canteen and proceed to eat an entire packet of pancakes complete with banana and honey on top... These guys aren't used to my eating habits yet. They'll learn soon enough! Lunch was a whole baguette with salami and dairy free cheese, complete a stupid amount of coffee and a handful of digestive biscuits.

And for dinner I roasted a turkey.

To be fair, it was reduced to under half price and I have no issues eating turkey for every meal for the next three or so days. Storage isn't too much of an issue, the temperature in my flat is working in favour of keeping food for a little while. Taking extra care, of course, but so far, so good.

...part of that turkey got put into a pasta dish with a boat load of veggies to make a dinner that probably would have served two or three people quite easily. It's a little more expensive than I'd like, but my appetite feeds potential gains nicely, even if it was born of stuffing down as much as humanly possible in one sitting because I didn't know when I'd get my next meal. Being a student taught me something, at least!

Mind:

There's something a little odd about going into work, doing a short (five hour) shift, and then clocking out on time and going home. I've been put mostly on mornings so far, which is essentially 6am-11am. Sure, it means getting up at 4:30am which isn't always ideal considering my neighbours and the noise level of my neighbourhood in general, but it's a short enough shift that I basically have the entire day to myself.

Today my mentally soothing activity of choice was a stint on WoW. I find kill quests relaxing, especially in Outland. It's the sky details there, I think. Especially at night.

Read a couple of chapters as well. My current read is Mountains of the Mind by Robert Macfarlane, which is essentially an exploration of our fascination with mountains and mountaineering as a pursuit. I'm loving it, it was definitely one of my better impulse buys!

Rewilding:

Opened the curtains today.

Now. That may sound like nothing, but it's actually something I have a bit of an issue with. For one, I live in a ground floor flat that's right on the walkway into the building and in an area constantly populated by children. There's not much privacy, and that is not something I'm comfortable with. For another, we've had so much grey, dreary weather recently that I just don't want to see it. It depresses me, but in turn not seeing the outside world at all depresses me almost as much. So while there was some actual sunshine today, so I opened the living room curtains and let it in. Adjusted the blinds so I retained most of my privacy and ended up keeping the curtains open until the sun went down.

It's a small start, but at least it's a start.

• Like 2

The rewilding goal is just awesome! Subbing for cheers and stalking yeti-progress :)

• Like 1

I´m a bass player, what´s your superpower?

"Small you are? Lift you must!" Master Broda, at the Dagobrah warrior bootcamp to his apprentice Luke Skylifter

"Let not the gains of your heart diminish the gains from your mind for the path of iron is long and full of hardship"  Book of Liftviticus ch23, v13

Success starts where excuses end! 

\m/ Be awesome!!! \m/

My DailyBattleLog:

\m/ Commitment on being awesome \m/

My Current Challenge:

Click me!!!

8 hours ago, obax said:

I really like the rewilding goal. This is why I like geocaching so much, it gives me an excuse to get out into nature, but I could definitely use more wildness during the week...

I love the idea of geocaching, but have yet to take it up as there approximately two local-ish caches with everything else requiring a car or a multiday trek to get to...

3 hours ago, BarbarianBassBro said:

The rewilding goal is just awesome! Subbing for cheers and stalking yeti-progress :)

So much love for the rewilding goal so far, it's great! Awesome to have you here :D

29 minutes ago, Raxie said:

Oh my gosh opening the curtains is huge!! I live on the first floor right next to a park so people are walking by ALL THE TIME so I totally feel you on not wanting to! I never thought about how infrequently they get opened to let the sun in! Hmmm...

In all honesty, one: there's not much sun around here anyway, and two: very little of it reaches my flat when there is. But even then, natural lighting even without the bonus of actual sunshine always makes me feel a bit better.

• Like 3

Yeah same, I'll probably open my back windows and not the front, at least to start with.  The sun there is blocked by a building but the prospect of natural light sounds so lovely! I can't believe I never really thought about this, but now I'm so excited to see how this changes the mood of my apartment :D

On 3/31/2016 at 11:06 PM, iatetheyeti said:

Exactly, less = more. Might be a little frustrating now, but when I've used the solid foundation I've built to do some truly epic things, I'll be laughing :D

Laughing....ahhh, the cure-all IMHO. This is a very true and very real statement. It's only a matter of time before you laugh at when things were hard or frustrating :)

SUNLIGHT!! As a pasty ginger, I should be terrified of it-but Vitamin D does wonders for my mood
(as I'm sure it does your mood as well)-so let their be LIGHT and let it shine magnificently towards your flat ;) 

bench-warmers-o.gif

-LMAO! This gif and this movie cracks me up #TheBenchwarmers

Wolf

Wild Wolf

Class: Vigilante/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 178#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Gotham Project Pt. 2

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

I love the rewilding goal!  And I get your thing with opening the curtains.  I love being outdoors, but I hate feeling exposed and having to deal with a lot of people.  I wish we all had some sort of outdoor sanctuary, so we could have some guarantee of solitude when we're out enjoying nature.

The Daily Dares PVP sounds like a great way to make sure that you'll be moving each day!

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

53 minutes ago, Raxie said:

Yeah same, I'll probably open my back windows and not the front, at least to start with.  The sun there is blocked by a building but the prospect of natural light sounds so lovely! I can't believe I never really thought about this, but now I'm so excited to see how this changes the mood of my apartment :D

It really is, even if it's natural light that's shining through torrential rain (because that's spring weather here...)! Heh, glad I could be of a little help, and hopefully you get good results from it.

44 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Granted I get a fair amount of natural light, but I find that opening my blinds makes a huge difference in how my house feels. It's cave-like and makes me want to just sit around when they're shut but even without direct sun it gets a much happier feel with them open and I'm more energetic

Yes, exactly! I've noticed that in most places I've lived. Even though my previous house share was in a fairly massive place, if the curtains stayed closed it felt distinctly cave-like. Everyone got at least a little happier and a little more motivated when there was natural light allowed in.

34 minutes ago, Wild Wolf said:

Laughing....ahhh, the cure-all IMHO. This is a very true and very real statement. It's only a matter of time before you laugh at when things were hard or frustrating :)

SUNLIGHT!! As a pasty ginger, I should be terrified of it-but Vitamin D does wonders for my mood
(as I'm sure it does your mood as well)-so let their be LIGHT and let it shine magnificently towards your flat ;) 

bench-warmers-o.gif

-LMAO! This gif and this movie cracks me up #TheBenchwarmers

Wolf

Yes, yes it is, and I know that day will come, sooner or later :)

Well, I may not be ginger, but I'm definitely of the pasty variety, but I think I've got plenty of the national stubbornness when it comes to spending time in the sunlight. We will do it, even if we start to cook, because we don't know when we'll see it again!

Heh, that gif sums up my younger brother's attitude to the sun (and outside world in general) perfectly!

3 minutes ago, Nymeria said:

I love the rewilding goal!  And I get your thing with opening the curtains.  I love being outdoors, but I hate feeling exposed and having to deal with a lot of people.  I wish we all had some sort of outdoor sanctuary, so we could have some guarantee of solitude when we're out enjoying nature.

The Daily Dares PVP sounds like a great way to make sure that you'll be moving each day!

I like the sanctuary idea, could definitely use one of those. In an ideal world, I'd have a garden people couldn't see into or something similar, just to have a place to sit in peace or read or anything else, really. Mine is overwhelmingly public...

Yeah, the dares are working so far, and I think the random nature of it makes it better as well :D

• Like 1

Day: Five

Movement:

Things have been somewhat more sporadic today. Part of that is down to the job. I've gone from a bartender/waitress to a shelf-stacking, cage hauling, general purpose busybody. Essentially, I've gone from a job where I run around like a headless chicken to one where I lift all of the things frequently, drag heavy loads the length of a supermarket multiple time, and spend extended periods of time doing nothing but squat, shelf, rise, repeat. Don't get me wrong, I prefer it, but it does require a little extra thinking. I know my body, I know the damage it's already taken and the way it reacts to different situations (especially cold, which is fun because I now spend a lot of time in a giant fridge...). So I'm going to do a little thinking, then adjust my movement goals with some mobility options.

Other than that, I did my usual couple of miles in and out of work, I've completed today's PVP dare (and got extra credit, yay me!), and despite spending longer than I'd planned just sitting, I did make a promise to myself that every time I killed something on WoW I'd do a push up.

...I stopped after forty seven (done either as singles or in sets of five).

Did a little hanging from the pull up bar again as well.

Nutrition:

Breakfast was a spicy chicken baguette, lunch was admittedly poor with some quiche, some salad, and a large bar of chocolate, and dinner was a delicious sweet and sour turkey mix up. I've even got leftovers for breakfast tomorrow.

The chocolate bar was stress eating, plain and simple. I'd just had a fight with one of my smoke alarms, the battery was dying therefore it was going off at random intervals, and was pretty close to sensory overload. Loud, shrill noise in a very small enclosed space with laminate flooring... that'll do it. I nipped down to the shop to get a new battery (and some fresh air) and didn't even attempt to resist the cut price chocolate at the checkout.

Mind:

Though some time was spent on WoW, I dedicated my relaxation time to reading through a selection of sites that have recently come to my attention, and extrapolating useful snippets that I could put into practice. Technically I'm still kind of doing it, I have a couple of tabs open from Ben Greenfield's site (found thanks to one Mr Wild Wolf). The others were Uncaged Man and Daniel Vitalis's site, both indirectly brought to my attention by a certain Mr Rurik.

I deeply enjoy plunging into new ideas and concepts and hearing how other people interpret and use them, so if anyone's got anything similar to throw my way, please do!

Rewilding:

I had a couple of moments today. One was on my way to work. It was about 5:30am, the wind was howling, and the place was entirely deserted. I decided to cut through a little wooded patch, and about halfway through it I stopped and just let myself, well, have a moment. To be perfectly honest, I miss walking alone through the trees in the dark, so it was nice to stop and take a moment to appreciate that I could come close to capturing a similar feeling in the middle of town.

Second moment was on the way home from work. Still windy, and also pissing rain, so I went the quick route along the main road. I did, however, elect to cross the footbridge rather than the one populated by a queue of cars. I'm going to have to get a picture, because the view from it is actually pretty nice, especially after the rain! Not that said rain has stopped yet... I stopped on the bridge and talked myself into lowering my hood and taking my hat off, leaving me pretty open to the elements. I tuned out the cars and stayed there for about five minutes with a focus to calming my breathing.

I'm sure at least one person walked past and wondered what idiot would stand there like that just staring at the river, but it's hardly the worst thing random passers-by would have seen me doing.

...relaxing as those five minutes were, they were followed by a brisk walk directly into a hot shower.

All in all, not a bad day. All that it needs to be perfect is getting to bed on time, which might actually happen if the noise levels from upstairs stay as low as they are now.

• Like 2

I´m impressed by your little steps forward. Your description of standing there and feeling the nature around you, reminded me of my youth. Have been living in a small village close to the woods that time and I´ve been taking loooong walks in this time. Sometimes even at full moon during the night (foggy forest, bright moonlight and sometimes a good friend of mine as company, just silence and walking through the woody hills...awesome!).

Those memorys make me feel bad about living in a city with a million people living in it.

• Like 1

"Small you are? Lift you must!" Master Broda, at the Dagobrah warrior bootcamp to his apprentice Luke Skylifter

"Let not the gains of your heart diminish the gains from your mind for the path of iron is long and full of hardship"  Book of Liftviticus ch23, v13

\m/ Be awesome!!! \m/

My DailyBattleLog:

My Current Challenge:

Click me!!!

Much as I love the mountains, there's just something about walking through a proper forest that gets me every time. And full moon is always, always a great time to go for a walk in the wild!

I will never ceased to be amazed at how many people can be squeezed into a single city... I can't imagine what it would be like to live in such a populated area, but considering I grew up in a small town and moved to an even smaller one, that's no surprise!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

Much as I love the mountains, there's just something about walking through a proper forest that gets me every time. And full moon is always, always a great time to go for a walk in the wild!

I will never ceased to be amazed at how many people can be squeezed into a single city... I can't imagine what it would be like to live in such a populated area, but considering I grew up in a small town and moved to an even smaller one, that's no surprise!

You say it...

I´m currently preparing for changing my job in medium time, then I´ll head for low populated area again. I miss my woods and fields and hills and and and... :) 

• Like 1

\m/ Be awesome!!! \m/

My DailyBattleLog:

My Current Challenge:

Click me!!!

1 hour ago, iatetheyeti said:

Having grown up more in the country I understand what you mean about the cities. Although some are more anthill than others.

• Like 1
There is one rule, above all others, ... Whatever comes, face it on your feet.

Robert Jordan, The Great Hunt

Lvl 2 Half-Elf Ranger

STR:4 | DEX:2.5 | STA:5 | CON:3 | WIS:5 | CHA:3

Daily Grind

Story of a Ranger: 1st chapter, 2nd chapter, 3rd chapter, 4th chapter

Day: Six

Movement:

Today has been a good day for movement. Started off the same, walk in and out of work, and thanks to the materials I was reading during my quiet time (which wasn't all that quiet, but hey) I ended up stringing together a basic kind of primal movement chain that ended up serving as an actual workout. It's definitely something I'd like to play around with some more, and it will go miles towards strengthening my wrists, something which has always been a problem area for me.

Add today's PVP dare (why did it have to be lunges?!), 3x5 sets of negative pull ups punctuated by deadhangs, and an as yet on going trend of 5 KB swings whenever I get up, and I think I'd have given myself two points for today. This trend must continue, I actually feel in quite a good mood.

Nutrition:

I write this with the largest of food babies residing in my gut. I have just polished off my fourth meal of the day, and it was large. Half of a roasted butternut squash (the whole thing rivalled my head in size, so...) with a generous helping of spiced turkey and a couple of other veggie accompaniments. So good. Breakfast was leftover sweet and sour turkey mess, lunch was a pair of rolls stuffed with turkey, salad, and cheese, and meal number three was what remained of the sweet and sour.

And yet the leftover turkey does not seem to have diminished much...

Another couple of days of meals like this will solve that issue.

(for full disclosure, should I get hungry later, and it is entirely likely I will, I have a bunch of bananas and half a packet of bourbon creams just waiting to be devoured)

Mind:

My quiet time consisted of close to two hours of listening to music whilst reading up on primal movement exercises and the like. While I'm happy to be in a frame of mind where I feel comfortable planning to incorporate this kind of thing into my daily life, I am conscious of the fact that I cannot do what I usually do and add everything in at once. Slow and steady and simple is key right now.

Rewilding:

Plant care today. I dead-headed and watered my slightly dehydrated collection. Fortunately most of them are either cacti or succulants, but I do have two that are not and therefore object strenuously to my forgetfulness when it comes to looking after them. I need to do some re-potting at some point. One of my succulants would benefit from both a bigger pot and something to support it as it climbs. Right now it's kind of flopped over, poor thing. A couple of others are sprouting quite vigorously, so I think they'd benefit from the extra space.

Curtains stayed open until the exercise started. I'm not quite brave enough to leave them open for that just yet.

• Like 1

A lot of it came from the GMB site. I incorporated the three movements in this article, and I found this one quite informative about movement and mobility as a whole. There was also an online magazine from Daniel Vitalis's site, but you need to sign up to read it. Plus this one from Uncaged Man.

...I did end up reading a lot more, but they seemed the most informative of the bunch (so far!).

• Like 1